mtbr member
    May 2006

Tips for trail prep in heavy snow?

We got lucky and received 8"+ of snow here in Omaha and are looking for what people are using to ride in deep snow. Anything under around 5" is rideable and easy to pack with bikes. It's the deep stuff and drifts that are slowing us down. I tried shoveling out some of the deep drifts and that gained us more trail but there is no way i'm shoveling 10 miles of singletrack. We have a very strict non motorized policy in the park, so snowmobiles and motos are out...

Thanks for any help!

Smash Mode: ON
    Stomp it with a gang of snowshoers
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Snowshoeing with a couple of friends?
    You could also make some kind of roller to pull behind you to flatten things down.
    I'm sure others will chime in with more.
    Enjoy that snow!

Moderator Moderator
    You need some snowshoes or fatskis (I just got some Marquettes). Depending upon the snow depth and type, and out-and-back trip to pack down the snow may be all you need to make it fat-tastic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buconine View Post
    We got lucky and received 8"+ of snow here in Omaha and are looking for what people are using to ride in deep snow. Anything under around 5" is rideable and easy to pack with bikes. It's the deep stuff and drifts that are slowing us down. I tried shoveling out some of the deep drifts and that gained us more trail but there is no way i'm shoveling 10 miles of singletrack. We have a very strict non motorized policy in the park, so snowmobiles and motos are out...

Thanks for any help!
    1ST I take it you do have a fatbike ? Then if ya can`t use a snowmobile to pack some trails in,see if you can get a bunch of people with snowshoes & have a hike/party get together besides in most cases it takes a day or so for the snow to set up after its packed We have done it & snowshoes are fun too You may even be able to ride a reg Mtbike on them,I don`t know why anyone would want to Fatty are just to much fun KP

mtbr member
    May 2006
    any recommendations for reasonably priced snow shoes? We have a small group of people that do it but have not seen any of them so far this year.

The snow is a hard crust with powder underneath. Some is hard enough to ride across, other parts you break thru pretty easy. Very low temps the next few days may help us get things going...

We are packing the trail with fatbikes. Even with 8 of us at once, it is still some work to ride in the deep stuff...

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by buconine View Post
    any recommendations for reasonably priced snow shoes? We have a small group of people that do it but have not seen any of them so far this year.
    Call around to see if anyone rents them. A couple shops up here do.

The snow is a hard crust with powder underneath. Some is hard enough to ride across, other parts you break thru pretty easy. Very low temps the next few days may help us get things going...

We are packing the trail with fatbikes. Even with 8 of us at once, it is still some work to ride in the deep stuff...
    I bet it won't take all that long for 8 of you riding consistently to get your base set up. The snow up here is sugar sand. It'll take a warmer day, then a re-freeze for ours to get set up before it becomes mostly rideable instead of mostly hike-a-bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Snowshoes might just stay on top of that crust, rather than pack it down - depending. You need rain then cold, or a thaw-freeze cycle to harden it up more. If snowshoes float on the crust, you can boot-break it, but with 8 people and 10 miles that should be do-able. Give everyone a mile or so to do, and stomp away!

Recent thread with some snowshoe faves Flotation: Fatbikes - vs - Skis - vs - Snowshoes?, but anything will do. Undersized ones off craigslist will pack even better than ones sized for optimal float.

mtbr member
    Grab a cheap $10 sled and pull it behind you with stuff in it (on skis or snowshoes). Out and back should pack it pretty good unless it's real dry snow.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Snowmachine, if nonmotorized use only, them snowshoeing pulling a tire full of beer. Drink when tired or completed!

PUG U!!!
    Snowshoes work the best, IMHO!
    If a thick crust exists, just stomp through it.
    Stomp it kind of wide for the less skilled riders.
    Or keep it tight to challenge everyone!
    You'll be better off letting it set up over night. If there's 8 of you, it should t take long to make a great snow tread!!
    Pedal On!!
    Peace

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

... and if we just ...

Our trails were nicely compacted yesterday after a big dump a week ago, then we got another huge dump of dry pow overnight. Might be easier to shovel it than stomp it at this point

HIKE!
    Something like this: Fat Tire - Human Powered Trail Grooming or rig up a kid's sled, or two car tires (one behind the other) drag behind you while snowshoeing. Enlist helpers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Snow Shoes work good. You could also pull a sled with some weight in it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Been way too cold in the evenings to get out and do much. Got all the downed trees cleared out to get more rideable areas. Now if we didn't have to hike a bike thru the drifts to get to them it would be awesome. I'm going to try out some snow shoes this weekend when the temp is supposed to come up for a couple days. Thanks for all the tips!

mtbr member
    I have started to make my own trail with snow shoes and a Pulk I made with Ed Bouffard from Ski Pulk I have been pulling the pulk with a bunch of stuff in it while wearing snow shoes. Sadly much of our snow melted so I have not been able to fully test out the system over time. If nothing else it is a fun workout.

I made the pulk at a class earlier this year so it was only $99. Ed has instructions for building your own on his site. Tons of experience and knowledge in that guy and so nice, helpful and generous i find myself just wanting to buy stuff from him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips for trail prep in heavy snow?-pulk.jpg  

Tips for trail prep in heavy snow?-pulk-2.jpg  

laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I take a classroom full of elementary kids(25ish) snowshoeing and they turn two feet of unpacked snow into a fatbike super highway ready to rail. I am even trying to teach them how to bank the corners.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is it just 8 inches of snow on a firm base? If so buy a moonlander install a bud and lou properly air down your tires and just ride the trails in with a big grin! No need for this silly walking stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    One more vote for Marquette fat skis. Marquette Backcountry Ski

You'll need some basic boots, bindings and poles, but you'll save a lot of time gliding around compared to clomping in snowshoes. One pass on these skis does about the same as two passes on snowshoes. Plus, you'll have more fun in the process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips for trail prep in heavy snow?-marquettes.jpg  

I used to build these: www.bikesonsnow.homestead.com
    I now build trails: www.sinuosity.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ah, why not just get a pair of skis with three pin bindings and boots from the thrift store and throw a set of skins on them?