mtbr member

Tips on Tools/Techniques for Hub Cartidge Bearing Removal?

I figured my Fatback was due for some love after its first winter, and a few trips to the coast this spring/summer. Sure enough, when I removed the rear wheel, the Fatback import hub had noticeable drag instead of spinning freely. I was pleased to see that I would be able to use my old cone wrenches for one of the first steps in taking the hub apart. I got as far as removing the cassette, freehub body & axle, but got stuck when it came to removing the cartridge bearings.

After cleaning everything up (icky gray grease goop, some sand, etc) and lubing what I could, the hub actually spins much much better, but I'd like to be able to replace the bearings myself in the future if anyone has tips on tools or techniques for that part of the job.

Only 1" of snow here in VT so far, but getting excited for winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've removed the cartridge bearings with whatever fits best from a socket wrench set and a small diameter metal or PVC tube that I tap with a hammer. It takes off some of the finish from the socket bit, but no permanent damage.

The trick is to apply force to the bearing shell, avoiding hitting the bearings and races if at all possible.

mtbr member
    I forget- are the Fatback hubs Hadleys? If so they just press out from the non drive side if I recall correctly and there is a spacer between the two that comes out as well. I think they are 6804 bearings.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rocky - you can get Hadleys from Fatback, but these are the Fatback label "import" hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Thanks Rocky - you can get Hadleys from Fatback, but these are the Fatback label "import" hubs.
    Any chance you can post a photo?

mtbr member
    ^^ Thought of that after I put it all back together.

mtbr member
    doublepost

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I know these hubs are most certainly not Hope's but this link (and the related videos) gives video instruction on how to strip and rebuild a Hope Pro 2 hub. Perhaps any of this can be of any help, there are other videos better describing replacement of bearings.

I think the priciple is to use a soft hammer and some kind of metal og PVC pipe to avoid hitting the soft parts of the bearing itself.

Bj.