mtbr member
    Sep 2012

tight moonie bottom bracket, what's the problem, Help

I had my LBS clean my 2013 moonlander drivetrain to prepare for winter and by doing so they, I believe cleaned the bottom bracket, put it back together and now it seems really tight and I feel the bearings rolling when I spin the crank arm. They said that when they put it back together there were only a couple of treads to grab on to and felt they had to slightly over tighten it in order for it not to fall out in the future. Any input on this? Are the bearings shot, did they put it back together wrong?? should I buy a new better bottom bracket, if so which one is best?
    Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If they are a well prepared shop, they'll have a Phil Wood tool, and just pop out the old bearings and push in some better quality fresh ones.

Otherwise, new BB time, with the cups.

These BB's tend to die fairly swiftly, better bearings makes them last longer, but still not to the level you'd expect from older BB designs.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    hopefully its just a new bottom bracket,

if they said that there were only a few threads left, i hope that i was not cross threaded

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What would be a better bottom bracket, are the race face bb better, longer lasting, or are there better options?

What would be better quality bearings, where could I find some? Are these pretty standard? stock that my lbs should have on hand?

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    If they are a well prepared shop, they'll have a Phil Wood tool, and just pop out the old bearings and push in some better quality fresh ones.

Otherwise, new BB time, with the cups.

These BB's tend to die fairly swiftly, better bearings makes them last longer, but still not to the level you'd expect from older BB designs.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaud View Post
    I had my LBS clean my 2013 moonlander drivetrain to prepare for winter and by doing so they, I believe cleaned the bottom bracket, put it back together and now it seems really tight and I feel the bearings rolling when I spin the crank arm. They said that when they put it back together there were only a couple of treads to grab on to and felt they had to slightly over tighten it in order for it not to fall out in the future. Any input on this? Are the bearings shot, did they put it back together wrong?? should I buy a new better bottom bracket, if so which one is best?
    Thanks
    Yeah, this doesn't sound good and I would ask for some further explanation and maybe a look at the problem with your own eyes. I replaced mine with a Chris King but that is a lot of expense for some.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaud View Post
    What would be a better bottom bracket, are the race face bb better, longer lasting, or are there better options?

What would be better quality bearings, where could I find some? Are these pretty standard? stock that my lbs should have on hand?

Thanks for the info
    I've found that most of the BB's that come with cranks, have cheap bearings. Brand doesn't really seem to enter into it.

I stock Phil Wood bearings. Press those into the cups, and you seem to get double plus, the normal run time out of them....

Chris King would be the standout exception to the rule, they go for the long haul as well.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Have Chris King bb on my Moonlander, treated me very well and maintenance is a snap if you pick up the grease injection tool. As a side note, make absolute sure if one is running a MWOD that it is setup correctly or it will destroy bb bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Pardon my ignorance but what is MWOD?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoreskillz View Post
    Have Chris King bb on my Moonlander, treated me very well and maintenance is a snap if you pick up the grease injection tool. As a side note, make absolute sure if one is running a MWOD that it is setup correctly or it will destroy bb bearings.