mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thule T2 Fat Tire Adapter Kit Available Yet?

My local shop says these are not yet available to them, yet I've read where some folks have bought them. What gives? Does anyone have info where I might find them?
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    My local shop says these are not yet available to them, yet I've read where some folks have bought them. What gives? Does anyone have info where I might find them?
    Universal used to have them. I will warn you though that a friend of mine bought them and the rear strap won't go around a nate on a wider rim. The front wheel tray works well though.

I just heated my trays up with a torch and stretched them out and that works. I also removed the stop on the clamp arm so that it would extend past the wheel - I also remove it completely and keep it inside my truck because it doesn't work as well when it has had moisture in it and then freezes. I just tie a piece of inner tube around the rear tire instead of using the thule ratchet strap. It's all ghetto, but works really well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    Universal used to have them. I will warn you though that a friend of mine bought them and the rear strap won't go around a nate on a wider rim. The front wheel tray works well though.

I just heated my trays up with a torch and stretched them out and that works. I also removed the stop on the clamp arm so that it would extend past the wheel - I also remove it completely and keep it inside my truck because it doesn't work as well when it has had moisture in it and then freezes. I just tie a piece of inner tube around the rear tire instead of using the thule ratchet strap. It's all ghetto, but works really well.
    Yeah, we've been doing the same type of ghetto thing. It works but I'm ready to get this kit & move to the 'burbs
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Dr Gadget is IN
    I got mine direct from Thule when they were released. I note that the rear strap has two positions, and only the "long" one will work fat. I note that both of mine were in the "short" position out of the box.

Instructions

I did find that the arm isn't long enough to just swing over the top of the tire - I had to tilt the bike to swing the arm.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    I got mine direct from Thule when they were released. I note that the rear strap has two positions, and only the "long" one will work fat. I note that both of mine were in the "short" position out of the box.

Instructions

I did find that the arm isn't long enough to just swing over the top of the tire - I had to tilt the bike to swing the arm.
    +1. Got mine before any one else right from Thule. Get the strap in the long position and it has no problem going around Lou on a Clownshoe!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah straps plenty long, not set in the correct position. I have trouble with front wheel also. They actually make a longer arm. You can also remove screw toward the end which is what keeps it from moving further. Theres a shop in NY called Cycle Haven who has a ton of the kits. All they sell is fat bikes, owner is ex pro downhiller. Real good people, really know there stuff.

never summer
    I got mine last week from RackAttack.

mtbr member
    Just ordered mine from rackattack, used rack15 to get 15% off!. Now when BD gets the Boris x9 to me i'll be ready to get fat in the sand all summer.
    The Gopher Tortise is my favorite critter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post

Yeah your buddy definitely has the strap on wrong. Also if you have an older T2 you willl have to buy the longer arm from thule. Buy everything direct from thule and you have it in 2 or 3 days.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Etrailer has them also. I pre-ordered and got mine last week. The rear strap is LONG and will have no problem fitting around any tire/rim combo. As mentioned earlier, there's two positions to mount the strap in so it will also fit around standard mountain bike wheels/tires. Mine also came mounted in the short setting. My kit came with these thin, white rectangular thingies. They had a bunch of pictures on them. I guess they're called "instructions"?