mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Thule Pack 'n Pedal Tour Rack

Hi Guys...
    Have any of you mounted a Thule Pack 'n Pedal Tour Rack on the front of a Pugsley? I am not sure if it is wide enough to clear the tires.
    Thule Pack 'n Pedal Tour Rack-onecol.jpg

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I guess you wouldn't be asking if you already had one....so why not go with an actual rack? There's mounts for them...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I guess you wouldn't be asking if you already had one....so why not go with an actual rack? There's mounts for them...
    Yeah...done that of course. I would go with another rack if I could find one with brackets that fit. It is getting old sending racks back.

mtbr member
    What setup are you running? I had Bontrager Back Rack I's front and rear on my Pugs and there were no problems mounting. Also we have one at work with Old Man Mountain racks front and rear and they fit fine.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    tried it with the original Freeload rack. (which Thule purchased the design from)

wouldn't clear an Endo on a Marge.

Mr Muru.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MuruCycles View Post
    tried it with the original Freeload rack. (which Thule purchased the design from)

wouldn't clear an Endo on a Marge.

Mr Muru.
    Nuff said.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    What setup are you running? I had Bontrager Back Rack I's front and rear on my Pugs and there were no problems mounting. Also we have one at work with Old Man Mountain racks front and rear and they fit fine.
    I'll look at the Bontrager but as I am writing this I am sending back an OMM. I did just get a Jannd Expedition for the rear and it fits great, although a little high. But that gives better clearance for snow, so that's alright.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Mr Muru...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolReloaded View Post
    Hi Guys...
    Have any of you mounted a Thule Pack 'n Pedal Tour Rack on the front of a Pugsley? I am not sure if it is wide enough to clear the tires.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ONECOL.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	826697

Thanks
    FYI - from bikepacking forum.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    We had two of the racks on the rear of bikes (not mine), they were being used mainly to hold packrafts and paddles along with a few other items so maybe a 7-10 lb load. The trip was 8 days of rough conditions. The racks were brand new at the time of departure.

It didn't start out well as we had the first failure within 5 km although again, I'm not sure they were installed right. (I didn't install them so I can't say for sure). Over the next days they needed adjustment a number of times. What became immediately apparent is they are not user friendly. We spend a fair bit of time trailside fussing with them. PLUS you need a dedicated 5mm allen (which we didn't have) and a special key thingy. We were lucky that one of our tools was just barely able to tighten the bolts. We went through a LOT of zip ties and by the end of the trip a couple of the straps had been permanently replaced by zip ties. (Carry some really big, thick ones.)

On about Day 6 we started to lose one of the decks. Bolts had come out from the rough riding so again, check all your bolts regularly. We replaced it with some copper wire we salvaged.

To give them credit they did survive the trip and, where we were, nothing was going to survive if it wasn't tough. It didn't help that we were taking new gear on a very demanding trip. I would say definitely read the manual, figure out how they work and make sure you check everything regularly.

Oh and carry spares for the straps and bolts. We had a whole set of spares but intelligently left at my place instead of bringing them.

At the end of the trip I had to remove one of the racks and ended up just cutting it off the bike as I couldn't get the damn straps to release. Gave it away to a friend and he seems happy with it.

As a final note I should point out that Freeload sponsored us with two racks to our trip and I feel bad slagging on them but we had some pretty frustrating moments with them. Like I said, maybe it was all user error so the only thing you can definitely take from this is RTFM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Curious why you couldn't get the OMM to work when everybody else says that they are the ones to buy for fatbikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Curious why you couldn't get the OMM to work when everybody else says that they are the ones to buy for fatbikes.

OMM racks fit Pugsleys fine. If you call them they'll send you bike specific mounting brackets to the install is even easier...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My OMM was called the cold springs and is slightly different from the one you have VIKB. The rack came with a skewer that was not wide enough and even did not work if I tried to mount them on the fender eyelets. I just could not get it to center on my offset fork. Also in your picture your bike is using the cantilever studs to mount and my fork does have them, so trying to use the top eyelets did not work either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post

I later found a website that had a Sherpa...that was specific to the Pugsley, unfortunately I did not see that until I had already bought one.

mtbr member
    My OMM was called the cold springs and is slightly different from the one you have VIKB. The rack came with a skewer that was not wide enough and even did not work if I tried to mount them on the fender eyelets. I just could not get it to center on my offset fork. Also in your picture your bike is using the cantilever studs to mount and my fork does have them, so trying to use the top eyelets did not work either.
    I later found a website that had a Sherpa...that was specific to the Pugsley, unfortunately I did not see that until I had already bought one.

The front Pugsley has OMM Sherpa racks on it. The rear Pugs has OMM Cold Springs racks on it. Both models of OMM rack work fine.

If the skewer didn't fit you probably had a front Sherpa rack. The Pugs has 135mm spacing up front so you need rear racks at both ends.

You also don't need canti posts to attach these racks the P-Clip method above used on my Krampus is 100% secure.

BTW - you don't need the Pugsley specific version of the OMM rack...just get a rear rack and call them for the correct mounting brackets which they will send you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

The front Pugsley has OMM Sherpa racks on it. The rear Pugs has OMM Cold Springs racks on it. Both models of OMM rack work fine.

If the skewer didn't fit you probably had a front Sherpa rack. The Pugs has 135mm spacing up front so you need rear racks at both ends.

You also don't need canti posts to attach these racks the P-Clip method above used on my Krampus is 100% secure.

BTW - you don't need the Pugsley specific version of the OMM rack...just get a rear rack and call them for the correct mounting brackets which they will send you.
    Thanks! I did send them an email but never received an answer. I guess I should have called instead.