Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

thinking of switching from moolander to fatboy

I got into fatbiking last winter and fell in love with it. I bought a moonlander last winter and now I think I have fatboy fever. Is it just me or the light, aluminium frame, grip shift, hydraulic brake, carbon forked spech bike just seems like a better all around 4,8 inch tired fatbike. Seems kind of senseless to sell my perfectly good moonlander. Any arguments in favor of keeping a moonlander to help me reduce the fatboy fever? I know we don't have any real world testing of the fatboy, just looking for input of preliminary impressions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Tires are really only 4.6?. Delivery only months from now? Gripshift, Really?

I can't really say much bad, that was my best attempt. Mines on order.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Would you be able to afford to keep your Moonlander until the Fatboy arrives? The uncertainty over availability would drive me nuts if I sold off my fat bike ahead of time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Fatboy geometry is nearly identical to the Moonlander. Other than a couple pounds of unnoticeable frame weight, it'll ride the same. You'll be spending a lot of money to "upgrade" and you won't be getting your money's worth. Upgrade your Moonie, do whatever you want to it. You'll like it more in the end!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Surly is over!

A Surly Maverick
    Yes , I agree Sell your Moonlanders, they are SOOOOOO last year Fatboys are where it's (F)at Dahhhhlliiing !

(Note :- my tongue is firmly in my cheek whilst typing this.....).

PS:- if anyone wishes my to take the redundant Moonlander, I have opened a 'Sanctuary' or them on my local beach
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    I havenít compared the geometry of the Specialized to the Moonlander, but one thing really worth considering is the difference in ride quality between steel and aluminum. I would ride steel over aluminum in almost all situations. The main exception would be if I just wanted a race oriented bike and comfort was secondary to minor weight and stiffness gains. Itís easy to think the high volume tires make frame material a nonissue, but having gone back and forth between steel, aluminum, ti, and now carbon frames I really feel like frame materials are just as relevant to ride feel in the fat bike world as anywhere else.
    When it actually gets down to comparing the weight of the frames I bet itís less than you think.
    Iím not putting down aluminum or Specialized, just pointing out that this should be a consideration in your thinking when comparing differences.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    First off I have to say, that I've preordered a Fatboy. However I have to agree with others here that the differences between the Moonlander and the Fatboy aren't worth the cost for you doesn't justify the differences in the bike. I'm getting a fatboy because I don't have a fatboy. With what I know now, I would have picked up a 9:zero:7 if I had the chance to do it over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaud View Post
    I got into fatbiking last winter and fell in love with it. I bought a moonlander last winter and now I think I have fatboy fever. Is it just me or the light, aluminium frame, grip shift, hydraulic brake, carbon forked spech bike just seems like a better all around 4,8 inch tired fatbike. Seems kind of senseless to sell my perfectly good moonlander. Any arguments in favor of keeping a moonlander to help me reduce the fatboy fever? I know we don't have any real world testing of the fatboy, just looking for input of preliminary impressions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you have only preodered you do have the chance to do it again don't you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    I would ride steel over aluminum in almost all situations. The main exception would be if I just wanted a race oriented bike and comfort was secondary to minor weight and stiffness gains. Itís easy to think the high volume tires make frame material a nonissue, but having gone back and forth between steel, aluminum, ti, and now carbon frames I really feel like frame materials are just as relevant to ride feel in the fat bike world as anywhere else.
    When it actually gets down to comparing the weight of the frames I bet itís less than you think.
    +1 - well said.

...not to mention that since nobody has actually rec'd their Special Eds it's premature to get into a detailed comparison at this point. I'd ride what you have and see how the Special Eds are rec'd then decide.

The delivery dates could slide or there could be a problem with the bikes that requires sorting out. Given the issues we've seen in the past and limited winter weather I wouldn't sell my current fat bike until I was 100% about the one I wanted to get.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    If you have only preodered you do have the chance to do it again don't you?
    Many dealers that I spoke to wanted 50 or 100% down. In my specific case it was intended to hold a bike that was already on order. So depending on the specifics of the deposit agreement, maybe not.

I personally found those terms unacceptable, and left my deposit with a LBS that required much less down. But for many there are thousands on the line.

Now that I think more about it, if I had a moonlnader, I would wait. It is not that I wouldn't trade for a Fatboy. I would just do it after the initial rush is over and there is some stock at local stores. Sure it might be Feb, but I would get to see and touch what I was buying. I'd leverage the fact that I already had a fatbike to make the phurchase have less pressure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys! Really great input, I won't sell my moonlander just yet as per your sound advice. I would really hate myself for missing a couple of months of riding! I just figured that the moonlander would be easier to sell before all of the other fatbikes hit the market but I would rather risk a couple of bucks sale price difference than a couple of months of off time.
    As for frame material comparison, I didn't figure that there would be such a perceivable difference in comfort on a fatbike, thanks again for the input.
    All this being said, I reeeeeally love the moonlander, just looked like the fatboy is better specced and would make it an even better piece of equipment.

Thanks again,

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Interested to know why you would chose a 907 if you had the chance to do it over again?

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer29er View Post
    First off I have to say, that I've preordered a Fatboy. However I have to agree with others here that the differences between the Moonlander and the Fatboy aren't worth the cost for you doesn't justify the differences in the bike. I'm getting a fatboy because I don't have a fatboy. With what I know now, I would have picked up a 9:zero:7 if I had the chance to do it over again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Upgrade and customize your Moonie.

More fun and cooler result.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    what would be the best upgrades on a moonie? Fork, shifters,... ?

Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Upgrade and customize your Moonie.

More fun and cooler result.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaud View Post
    what would be the best upgrades on a moonie? Fork, shifters,... ?
    You had your own list at the top of the thread, sounds like those are your points of contention, so start there.

My list for folks who ask would be, tubeless up those wheels, and slap a suspension fork on (yeah, I love the Leftys, but anyone with a squishy fork, regardless of what, seems quite enamored with the result).

Tubeless is your biggest bang for the buck upgrade (split tube style costs 2 tubes and some Stans), almost zero flats, lighter spin weight, softer feeling ride, yada yada yada.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

addicted to chunk
    Dangit Craig beat me to it.

Add front squish, tubeless with some good fast rolling tires setup tubeless.

Take the $$ that you would have spent on the Spec, and add some fun bits to the moonie. Carbon bars (easton) & seatpost (raceface) go a long way in overall comfort. Add whatever type of shifters & brakes you like the most. (swapping from BB7's to Hope M4/X2 was an awesome upgrade on my fatty).
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    With the 9:zero:7 going to 190 as well. The complete bike sets are more expensive than the fatboy, however in my opinion the 9:zero:7 bike have better components.
    For example:
    Fatboy
    Tektro Draco 2, hydraulic
    Shifters are the same except grip shift (minerial Oil)
    I realize according to Specialized research grip shift is better for winter, Iím just not convinced.
    The fork on the Fatboy is carbon and can handle a little bigger size. (WIN)

Total weight?
    9:ZERO:7 190mm Susitna
    Avid BB7(WIN) DOT5.1
    Shifters are the same except trigger shift (WIN)
    I think the geometry on this bike might handle slightly better than the Fatboy.
    Total wieght?
    The other plus is that the 9:zero:7 will be in stock locally in Minnesota before I could even get a fatboy in.
    You might wondering why I'm on the list, because for the money I think the specialized is a better deal monetarily, not the best possible bike for snow.

mtbr member
    Personally, I would keep the Moonlander. The only reason I'm upgrading from a Mukluk to a Fatboy is to get a better geometry & 4.8 in the rear. The Moonlander already has good handling and can take Bud/Lou

mtbr member
    I realize according to Specialized research grip shift is better for winter, Iím just not convinced.
    No disagreement with your overall argument, but no need to take Spesh's word for it. Many, many others share that opinion. Have your tried twisters?
    The older I get the better I was...

Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    No disagreement with your overall argument, but no need to take Spesh's word for it. Many, many others share that opinion. Have your tried twisters?
    Grip shifts are the way to go in winter and any time in my opinion. I changed my FS 29er to XO grip after falling in love with them on my fatbike. It's easy now to forget how bitterly cold it gets... seriously, you don't want to be fumbling for a trigger shifter with bulky gloves when its friggin freezing out and you are just trying to keep going. Plus you hit a huge patch of snow and you are going to want to be able to grab as many gears as possibly, and quick. Grip shift.

Avid BB7(WIN) DOT5.1
    I'm not sure if that is a joke or not? BB7's are cable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post

I'm not sure if that is a joke or not? BB7's are cable.
    Thought cables were superior to hydraulics in cold winter climates?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    Personally, I would keep the Moonlander. The only reason I'm upgrading from a Mukluk to a Fatboy is to get a better geometry & 4.8 in the rear. The Moonlander already has good handling and can take Bud/Lou
    Well it's not 4.8 anymore. You can fit a 4.8, but it's coming with 4.6 inch. Does .2 of an inch matter, not really in my book.

Originally Posted by trailblazer29er

The BB7 was a half joke. These will never freeze, but I was thinking that my upgrade would be Avid Elixirs.

On the twisters, no I have tried any of the current generations, but it just doesn't seem right. So I'll give the shifters a fair shake in Dec when the Fatboy comes. But I would guess that would be the first things I change.

What doesn't seem right? They have been used successfully for many years now, and are still around and updated in design for a reason, because lots of people still want them.

I wasn't sure what you meant by the BB7 thing I thought you listed them as having DOT5.1 when they are cable! No reason not to go hydraulic either... I put Hayes Prime's on my Moonlander last winter and not one single problem... big upgrade for stopping those big wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks guys, great info!, some of you are fat bike encyclopedias! I do agree that the moonie is a great bike, buying a few parts to upgrade it would very probably reduce the fatboy fever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast