mtbr member

Thinking about getting a fatbike

Can only find 2 places in town, well one in town, 1 in Meridian which is a few miles away from Boise, that carry fatbikes. Meridian has a Mukluk, I think, and a Bergrease and they are open today. G-Fit supposedly carries 9:ZERO:7 but they are closed today and only open until 4 on weekdays. Gonna head to Meridian Cycles and check this thing out.
    Suggestions, ideas, recomendations??

HIKE!
    Drive straight to Meridian and buy a bike from Paul.

mtbr member

Haw!

Like the way you think. Will have to wait til the bank opens, so would just look today.
    You get a fatty from MC?

mtbr member
    Be prepared to have cold teeth from the huge grin you wear while riding in fricking frigid weather!
    Cereal. Get the fat. Be happy. The end

HIKE!
    I just know Paul McK from when he was our traveling rep for Raleigh/DiamondBack. He's been in the bike biz and on all sides of the table, Meridian Cycles is his baby, and he's a fine chap. You'll dig your new fatty.

mtbr member

Yeah, I like the dude

Purchased a XXIX from him several years ago and he purchases stuff from the co. I work for. Checked out the black Mukluk w/blue rims, liked it, weight was impressive, Like the orange Salsa base on price and color, thinking about getting that maybe next weekend. If that ride is still there, will get the cash out an pick it up.

mtbr member
    You won't be sorry!
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Also located a local co called Vibe that makes fat bikes

Gonna give them a call and see what they are all about. Would rather purchase something very local vs. made overseas. See what happens....

mtbr member

Well, got it.

Took the dogs out for a ride, they seemed to like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about getting a fatbike-photo-2013-01-20-13.48.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Okay. Well how did you like it?
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member

It was a good ride.

So this was my first ride of the year, I haven't been bike commuting due to the fact that I have been waking up later than needed, but have used the trainer a few times. Riding on the trainer sucks. Much. It didn't go through the thick snow as well as I was hoping, so I stopped and let a bit of air out of the tires and the valve came out with the cap, so the air started rushing out. I had to try and get the cap back into the stem as fast as possible so that I wouldn't lose too much air. But after that I could ride over snow much better, so me and the dogs did a few laps down by the river, even rode across the ice. So I took the dogs back home and took out the pump to add air and check pressure. The gauge doesn't read very well at that low pressure, s I am under 10 psi or so. Need to get a digital air pressure gauge to check the air, the one that I have really doesn't read that low. Or even close to that low. Rode to the LBS and they didn't have a digital so headed back by the river and rode more. Realized that you can't go downhill and corner as sharp on snow as dirt and had my first wipe out. Also need to wear different shoes, my slip on's have an open top and filled with snow. Headed to another LBS and they didn't have a digital so I rode around the park. Thought about jumping of a small brick wall, bout a 2 foot drop, but didn't really have enough speed to confidently do it. Didn't realize how much work this would be, so my legs are a bit tired and sore today. Was a good ride and quite a bit of fun, good work out. A lot of people mad comments about the bike, guess not too many people have seen the fats around here.
    So, few things maybe someone can answer for me:
    The digital pressure gauge - does it measure better than the mechanical?
    Bike came with Surly Nats at 27 tpi, good tire or just the lower end? Does it have a decent puncture resistance or no?
    How low of pressure can or should I ever go with this tire?
    Anyone ever slime these tubes and/or does slime work very well with this size tire and/or low air pressure?

mtbr member
    I have an SKS digital gauge, I like it. Somebody will chime in, there is another gauge that people on here really like, but I can't think of it.

Nates are great tires, super deep tread and about the best traction that you are going to get right now on snow without a moonlander. The 27tpi is heavier than the 120tpi, and maybe not quite as supple, but I haven't filed a complaint yet about mine.

The lower the better. You should continue to let out air pressure until you aren't bouncing anymore. I went on a 20 mile ride today on snow with my tires at 4/4.5 and it was great. I never go over 10psi, but it all depends on your weight. I'm about 180 pounds.

You could slime, I guess, or add Stan's or whatever your favorite sealant is to the tubes, or just nut up and go tubeless, you get a much better feel from the bike that way.

No doubt it's a workout in the snow, but you'll grow to love it. Keep riding.

mtbr member

Hey thanks for the post

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    I have an SKS digital gauge, I like it. Somebody will chime in, there is another gauge that people on here really like, but I can't think of it.

Nates are great tires, super deep tread and about the best traction that you are going to get right now on snow without a moonlander. The 27tpi is heavier than the 120tpi, and maybe not quite as supple, but I haven't filed a complaint yet about mine.

The lower the better. You should continue to let out air pressure until you aren't bouncing anymore. I went on a 20 mile ride today on snow with my tires at 4/4.5 and it was great. I never go over 10psi, but it all depends on your weight. I'm about 180 pounds.

You could slime, I guess, or add Stan's or whatever your favorite sealant is to the tubes, or just nut up and go tubeless, you get a much better feel from the bike that way.

No doubt it's a workout in the snow, but you'll grow to love it. Keep riding.
    IMT has an SKS on their page, will give them a ring tomorrow and check - if they got it in stock, I am getting it. Or, if they have a different digital, but I didn't see it on their site.

The shop mech put air in the tires before I left, think he put far too much in, so that made it tough on thicker snow. Not certain if I want to go tubeless - yet - want to get the hang of this bike first. I weigh around 170/5 so a bit less than you, but guessing that same psi would work well. Got a bottle of slime left over, might just use it to be on the safe side. Or I won't cuz I forget to just up and do it...

If I can drag my carcass out of bed at a decent hour tomorrow, I will ride it to work, so will keep on the riding part. One of the reasons I got the bike, the greenbelt doesn't get cleaned of snow all that well and the skinny tires are super sketchy. Might have to ride it whatever time I get up, the low gas light went on yesterday and I didn't fill up. Also want a rack so that I can won't have to wear a backpack.

Anyway, thanks.

Go to walmart or anywhere that has a selection of guages, slime makes a low psi guage 0-15 psi. cost like 5 bucks.

mighty sailin' man
    all a gauge will do is tell you what the number is

the ride tells you all you really need to know. The gauge won't change that
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Go to walmart or anywhere that has a selection of guages, slime makes a low psi guage 0-15 psi. cost like 5 bucks.
    Thanks, will look for that. Or will try and remember to look for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    all a gauge will do is tell you what the number is

the ride tells you all you really need to know. The gauge won't change that
    True, but I just like to look a numbers.

Yeah, it still feels like I have too high PSI right now, for some things, anyway. For clear spots on the GB, it feels good, too high on thicker snow.

mtbr member
    Another Q? If you need to pump up on the trail, does one pump work better or best for these size of tire?
    thanks

29er
    Apr 2010
    get the biggest pump you can carry, these tires need VOLUME
    i got myself a lezyne micro floor drive HV

mtbr member
    Some people like to complain about pumping up with a little hand pump, I think that they just like to complain. I use a regular, mid sized mountain bike pump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Some people like to complain about pumping up with a little hand pump, I think that they just like to complain. I use a regular, mid sized mountain bike pump.
    Will try to not complain about pumping on the trail, think the XXIX has a decent size pump strapped to the frame, will give that thing a go. Hopefully won't need it, but rather have and not need...