Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Loser

There were no rim strikes on today's ride

Despite having heavy, unbalanced rims on my bike I still managed to have a good time.

I spent most of my time on snowmobile trails, which were well packed, though still had to run low pressures to stay on top.

The snow is getting deep, this is very unusual for us:

There was an awesome snowshoe path around the bottom of the mountain, so I took that, unfortunately the hikers split and it went from one perfectly rideable (though narrow) path to two completely unrideable ones. I hiked/pushed the rest of the way around the mountain and got back on the dirt road where the snowmobile tracks were. I rode those down to the flats at the bottom of the ridge. Very fast riding and cool to be cranking along in the snow, super quiet and snow falling all around me. I had to watch my speed, because you know you get these unbalanced rims up above 50mph and they wobble something fierce. I wish someone would come up with a rim that would fix that problem.

When I hit the first asphalt road I turned around and climbed back to the top of the mountain. There's a great trail that comes down off the back of the mountain and on my way around the bottom I noticed it looked nicely packed in. I got to the top

And I was right - another perfectly stomped down snowshoe trail. Steep, twisty and highly technical in the summer, now it was just steep and twisty. Oh man that trail was fun!

Its funny you spend so much time and money making your bike light, an hour into the ride my bike has gained 10 pounds of snow weight. I guess if I had low profile tires I wouldn't have to worry so much about the tires rubbing against the snow that gets stuck in there, another marketing opportunity I'm passing to the internet for someone to fix.

It was dumping when I got back to the car, time to get out of Dodge and get back home.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Good to hear your rims are still unbalanced and heavy. Heading out to strike some rims with the boys in morning…

We have had record weather in our region of the north east this year also. So much snow rides are few and far between, but tomorrow's the day.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Rim strikes? I'm not sure what you mean? but, if your talking about rim strips we have them and they are the best!

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Great write up - thanks for the inspiration.

turtles make me hot
    Glad your rims survived the ride. I'm going to try and tolerate my Clownshoes tomorrow morning for a couple of hours. Wish me luck!
    I like turtles

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looks like it was an awesome ride! Although, I'm a bit worried about riding on rimstrips that are not "the best", I'm heading out tomorrow for some fun in the snow. I'll report back if I experience any rim strikes. Wait...what are rim strikes?

Loser
    Its not rim strikes its rim strips, man I gotta teach you guys everything.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Its not rim strikes its rim strips, man I gotta teach you guys everything.
    Sorry! I only took 2 semesters of physics!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Haha, damn it guys...
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'll bet that all that snow collecting in your wheels put them into perfect balance; can anyone back this uneducated theory up with physics?
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Loser
    I hate to be deceptive, so I'm going to come clean.

From the pictures I'm sure this looks like a casual ride, it was actually a training ride. I'm currently in the top 11% of riders in my area, if I can gain one more percentage point I know where I can get a sweet deal on the best rims, and maybe rim strips too. So its out there, I'm training. Sorry for not revealing that earlier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

From the pictures I'm sure this looks like a casual ride, it was actually a training ride. I'm currently in the top 11% of riders in my area, if I can gain one more percentage point I know where I can get a sweet deal on the best rims, and maybe rim strips too. So its out there, I'm training. Sorry for not revealing that earlier.
    I, for one, appreciate the full disclosure

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Watch out! I'm coming for you. I did 45minutes of intervals on my thigh master tonight. I picked one up at the thrift store this morning. A friend who has his Masters in Engineering told me that it was the best possible way to train in the off-season. Those rims will be mine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You guys both might as well just give up because we are all going to die when the bubble explodes.
    Latitude 61

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    You guys both might as well just give up because we are all going to die when the bubble explodes.
    It's ok. I'm ready.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    Looks like it was an awesome ride! Although, I'm a bit worried about riding on rimstrips that are not "the best", I'm heading out tomorrow for some fun in the snow. I'll report back if I experience any rim strikes. Wait...what are rim strikes?
    Rim strikes are where your rims refuse to show up for work because they lack a good contract and then block out potential "scab" rims from showing up.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    Rim strikes are where your rims refuse to show up for work because they lack a good contract and then block out potential "scab" rims from showing up.
    That's good stuff.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Jisch- Where? I saw some pics this morning from Mianus, looks good to go there too.

Loser
    This was at Shenipsit Forest in Ellington. We got another four inches of snow, so the snow machines need to pack it down again. Think I'm skiing today though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This was at Shenipsit Forest in Ellington. We got another four inches of snow, so the snow machines need to pack it down again. Think I'm skiing today though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Jisch,
    It's a small world. I thought that Fire tower looked familiar! Shenipsit/Soapstone, Valley Falls, and Case Mountain are the places where I learned to ride! I grew up in Vernon. Is the trail system up there still pretty awesome? I'm in VA now,but I still pass through that area when we visit my Mom or head up to Maine in the summer. Sometime we may have to link up for some riding, or at least to compare tales of rim strikes!

Loser
    Based on you mentioning those three spots I know the era when you rode around here!

Valley Falls is not what it once was - there's been some development and some trails marked "no bikes", I haven't been there in years, its hard to put a loop together.

Case is still Case - lots of people ride there and it shows, still some good stuff there and a great place to put in some miles, but I only ride there when there's a group ride I want to join.

Shenipsit has suffered under the weight of the motorcycle crowd and many of the old trails are completely blown out and no fun to ride. There are, however, some new trails on the north side that are some of the best I know.

Definitely let me know when you're swinging through and we can take a ride on the old stuff for old time's sake or I can show you the newer, better stuff. I have a spare bike if you don't mind riding a fatty (or a RIP9).

turtles make me hot
    I just did eight miles on the beach. Oddly, my Clownshoes clad in Bud and Lou did not throw me off balance at all. I was able to stay on the bike.
    I like turtles

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Based on you mentioning those three spots I know the era when you rode around here!

Valley Falls is not what it once was - there's been some development and some trails marked "no bikes", I haven't been there in years, its hard to put a loop together.

Case is still Case - lots of people ride there and it shows, still some good stuff there and a great place to put in some miles, but I only ride there when there's a group ride I want to join.

Shenipsit has suffered under the weight of the motorcycle crowd and many of the old trails are completely blown out and no fun to ride. There are, however, some new trails on the north side that are some of the best I know.

Definitely let me know when you're swinging through and we can take a ride on the old stuff for old time's sake or I can show you the newer, better stuff. I have a spare bike if you don't mind riding a fatty (or a RIP9).
    Good deal!

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    NYrr496,
    I just got back from some snow riding. I was glad that my UMAs clad in Sterlings seemed amazingly well balanced. After realizing how inferior my wheels are, I was assuming I would have to drop them off at a Play it Again Sports. I'm glad I gave them another shot!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jyb View Post
    nyrr496,
    i just got back from some snow riding. I was glad that my umas clad in sterlings seemed amazingly well balanced. After realizing how inferior my wheels are, i was assuming i would have to drop them off at a play it again sports. I'm glad i gave them another shot!
    lmfao.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast