mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Are there tires that work in soft slushy snow?

I attempted to ride this weekend in soft, wet snow. Had to air down to 2LBS rear, 0LBS front to get any traction, but it was still horrible. Any sort of incline, I could not get any traction and had to walk, the front tire would wash out constantly in turns. I am running 4.8 JJ's.

Would other tires materially improve performance, or should I just stay home in those conditions.

My fat bike is pretty much dedicated for the snow, I have a plus bike for all other conditions, thus I am only looking for snow performance.

Thanks!

Professional Crastinator
    Bud & Lou!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    When the trails are wet, whether it be slush or mud, it may be better to stay home for the sake of the trail. More aggressive knobs will tear it up and provide some better traction, but if you're doin damage it will only make the trail worse to ride once it freezes over. If the trail is maintained or groomed then the issue would be remedied, but you're creating more work for the crew. On those slushy days, it may be better to explore off trail and go slow.

We had some rain-slush/sleet-snow storms that have not been good for the trails. The slush pushes to the side and becomes an icy rut that freezes over making the trail more difficult to ride, unless it's groomed.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    In certain conditions, fat tires can actually be much worse than skinny tires. I've had times when I couldn't go anywhere on fat, turned around and grabbed the old 26" with 2.35s got a good ride in. Similar to how you'll see trucks run skinny tires for deep mud and/or in winter. Sometimes float is good, sometimes it just keeps you away from traction.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    When the trails are wet, whether it be slush or mud, it may be better to stay home for the sake of the trail. More aggressive knobs will tear it up and provide some better traction, but if you're doin damage it will only make the trail worse to ride once it freezes over. If the trail is maintained or groomed then the issue would be remedied, but you're creating more work for the crew. On those slushy days, it may be better to explore off trail and go slow.

We had some rain-slush/sleet-snow storms that have not been good for the trails. The slush pushes to the side and becomes an icy rut that freezes over making the trail more difficult to ride, unless it's groomed.
    Non-groomed trails. Ground frozen, snow soft and melting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Bud & Lou!
    Bud and Lou are still my favorite for any kind of loose snow(wet or dry)!

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    I attempted to ride this weekend in soft, wet snow. Had to air down to 2LBS rear, 0LBS front to get any traction, but it was still horrible. Any sort of incline, I could not get any traction and had to walk, the front tire would wash out constantly in turns. I am running 4.8 JJ's.
    Have read that the JJ's don't do that good on snow so that could be the culprit of your issue. Encountered conditions like that during the weekend, not even Bud & Lou were able to help me, ended up turning back and went brewery hoping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah...JJ not good on loose snow at all. Great on groomed hard pack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yep, I've ridden the JJ on snow and it's why I run a Bud/FBR now, which is light years better.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    in soft over hard skinnier tire will out perform and fat tire. it is simple physics. more ground pressure to push the tire knobs down to hard ground. if it is icy ground then a tire like the ice spiker pro would be hands down the best option.

i was at a race that has mashed potato snow over frozen ice/dirt and it was funny watching everyone trying to lower their pressure for better traction. they were just making it worse. i aired up my 4.0 cake eaters and rode around them.

as other have said. float is not always your friend.