mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Is there a name for this yet?

Does the following happen to any of you? If so, do you or your bike community have a name for it?

When heading down a rocky trail, at speed, the front tire hits a rock and instead of glancing AWAY from the rock as a non-plus tire would, the tire wraps around the rock and shoots the front wheel TOWARD the rock.

I've been calling this phenomenon "tire wrap." I am not sure exactly what causes it, but I think the tire carcass is so large and under such low pressure that the tire deforms and creates a new contact patch that has enough traction to pull the wheel to the inside. In contrast, a low volume tire with high pressure can only bounce off an object under the same circumstances; speed, obstacle shape, angle of attack, etc.

Hopefully, someone else has experienced this too and I'm not going crazy because I'm spending to much time riding my rigid single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay2klbs View Post
    ..I've been calling this phenomenon "tire wrap." ...
    I call it steam rolling.

The wheel doesn't care where you point, it just goes there just like a steam roller..
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

All fat, all the time.
    Monster truck effect.
    Downhill lazy boy riding.

This place needs an enema
    Preload the bike before that rock, then *just* as the tire hits it have your weight going up instead of forward. The result is what I call 'splatting' -- using the rock to kick the front wheel, and then the rest of the bike, into the air.

Link a bunch of these together back-to-back-to-back and you can have a damn good time motoring along a rocky trail.

More fun to go over stuff than around or through it...

since 4/10/2009
    it's a similar sort of thing when you're riding in deeper snow on a narrow track that's packed, but you at least occasionally brush against the unpacked snow at the edge, and pulls you even more off the packed surface. I don't have a specific word for it, but it is a thing.

Rocks in my area tend to be slippery, so I don't generally get the same effect on them. The tire tends to slide right off if I brush against it. Even if my intent is to ride over them, if they're a little bit angled compared to my approach, my tires will often slide off. Dry, wet, doesn't matter much.