mtbr member

Thanks To MTBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I joined this site for only one reason, to read about Surly bikes and find out who actually sells them in Europe and just does not add the Surly banner to their site for BS reasons.

It took some time but I have found a place now only because of this site.

I first wanted a Longtail rig from Surly with the Bill trailer, however last week I got an email from a Swiss bike shop telling me that they could get them and anything else I wanted from Surly.

Some how between reading that dudes email and checking the Surly site I changed my mind and ordered the 22" Moonlander, frame bag and front & rear racks. I asked him if the Bill trailer would work on the Moonlander and he was not sure but would find out, so if that works I am getting that too.

Just have one other issue and that is the Bar. Unfortunately the bar I want I do not know the name so I can not order it. It almost looks like the Surly Open bar but it has a cross section that curves around the front. I am not sure if it is a custom bar or what because I have only seen it on Youtube from a ride with some vids in slow motion on tire size travel, some on custom frame builds, stuff like that ad I do not know that user name from Youtube either but the dude makes **** tons of sense to me and has some really cool ridged rigs.

So thanks MTBR and if anyone can think of the name of that bar I described with so much detail (LOL) let me know.
    De oppresso liber

Nuts
    Welcome to the fat scene and is this what you are looking for.

http://www.jonesbikes.com/vmchk/Hand...funky.tpl.html
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Thanks To MTBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-moonlander.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Welcome to the fat scene and is this what you are looking for.

http://www.jonesbikes.com/vmchk/Hand...funky.tpl.html

I have the same Jones bar on my Moonie.

Love it.

mtbr member
    Well, in Europe you have to get in contact with Biff. If it's the H-Loop Bar that you want.
    biff@yesweareontheweb.com

That's where I bought it 2 weeks ago.
    Here's what he says:

"710 Loop H-bar (silver, aluminum) is 130
    Chunky Custom length ESI grips are 24
    Shipping is 12*"

*Shipping is with UPS and takes 2-3 days.

mtbr member
    Yup. Is awesomesauce!
    I have that Loop bar.....love it to pieces!
    Thanks To MTBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Thats the bar, Holy Cow, with my crap description I never thought I would get lucky again. Thanks for the name folks, I will email the bike dude right now........

And WOW, what is that fork set up, did you make that? This is like the coolest ever, I think I saw this on one of those Youtube videos too I was talking about.

I am 6'7" at 270 pounds at around 3% bodyfat, would I break something like that because I am heavier than some folks? That rig is very cool.

Thanks again for the name of those bars folks, I will get on it right now.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    I think that is a Jones Truss fork(PP...correct me if I am wrong). Same place you can get the bars.

I put a Lefty on mine. Fatties are fun! Fork upgrades are even FUNNER!
    Thanks To MTBR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    Thats the bar, Holy Cow, with my crap description I never thought I would get lucky again. Thanks for the name folks, I will email the bike dude right now........

And WOW, what is that fork set up, did you make that? This is like the coolest ever, I think I saw this on one of those Youtube videos too I was talking about.

I am 6'7" at 270 pounds at around 3% bodyfat, would I break something like that because I am heavier than some folks? That rig is very cool.

The fork is a Jones truss fork.

Nuts
    Mr Jones is one of the coolest dudes you will ever work with.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    From the Bill Trailer product page:

Our hitch system is designed to be as universal as possible. This hitch will likely fit your bike. It works with full-suspension frames, disc brakes, rear racks and fenders. It adjusts to accommodate hub widths from 120 145mm and allows you to align the centerline of the trailer on the centerline of the bike. It will work with bikes that have wheels as small as 20" and as large as 29" while keeping the bed level with the ground. This is especially important when you are hauling long items that hang off the back of the trailer (lumber, tubing, ladders, etc.).

NOTE: the Bill and Ted hitch is sold separately. Remind your local shop to order hitch and the correct bed length.
    The ML offset shouldn't affect the trailer hitch at all other than it not being precisely centered behind you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought my first Surly (It was my first real non-department store bike!) about this time last year. Got a Big Dummy so I could use it with my kids. We all love it... it's an awesome bike. Some how in the last year, I ended up with a Cross-Check (February) and am picking up a Pugsley tomorrow. I don't think I'm allowed to buy any more bikes until I get reincarnated.

But these three should handle just about all my biking needs for forever! Now I'll just have to maintain them and switch out components as they wear out. Welcome to the Surly club... it's addictive.

Black Sheep rising

Up until recently, I was at ~280 lbs. (with somewhat more bodyfat, as I am old), but with a background in powerlifting ("I pick things up and put them down" ). So essentially a big strong dude like yourself. I have broken nothing over the past several years due to my size, and there are really very few things I would not buy due to my size. Surly doesn't sell any of them. Don't sweat it too much. Most of this stuff is really hard to break.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Folks, thanks for the pics those are some amazing rigs. Just pure mean sexy bikes. Also thanks for helping me identify the name of those bars, I have ordered a pair now through the same dude at the bike shop where I am getting my Moonlander. For now I will stick with the forks that come with the bike though. I have also decided against the Bill trailer because I picked the Moonlander for logical performance capabilities. Right now (since 1997) I have been running a Gary Fisher Paragon, I live on my rig and tug about 300 pounds in stuff and travel all year long and at my size there are many places I just can not go through. So getting the Bill I felt would limit me and I would never get to see exactly what the Moonlander could do. So I am just going to have a custom BOB style trailer built for me.

I would also like to say thank you to the user Utabintarbo for the words of encouragement. Because dude I am seriously going to beat the **** out of this bike, not like a stole, worse. I am going to beat this rig like it is government issue in a war zone. Not the entire time of course just for a couple months so I know what it can take. So thanks man.

As for my old rig, I am mailing that back home to Texas. I doubt I will ever see it again as I never plan on going home but that bike must have 100K miles on it, broke everything but the frame. Besides I doubt I could even get kicked in the nuts for it.

I have about 18 days left at most until I get my Moonlander.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Folks, thanks for the pics those are some amazing rigs. Just pure mean sexy bikes.
    I have about 18 days left at most until I get my Moonlander.

Happy wanking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgould View Post

Happy wanking.
    I feel like an excited handicap kid looking at these pictures, hell for a second I almost started clapping. Bet that would freak out the other campers here, monster size Clyde clapping at the computer.

Nice rig Dude.
    De oppresso liber

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I feel like an excited handicap kid looking at these pictures, hell for a second I almost started clapping. Bet that would freak out the other campers here, monster size Clyde clapping at the computer.

Nice rig Dude.
    Hodor.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have a look at Coastkid's trailer. He put a fat tyre in the thing which might be better for the snow and soft conditions??

coastrider: `Fat` BOB Trailer Update

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Have a look at Coastkid's trailer. He put a fat tyre in the thing which might be better for the snow and soft conditions??

coastrider: `Fat` BOB Trailer Update
    It is cool looking but is that a plastic rim? I would worry that would break.

I have a YAK style custom trailer with a 20", and I could see how a fat tire would be better but I doubt I would run a plastic rim, I would just worry about getting stranded because it broke. Still pretty cool looking.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Those plastic wheels are pretty solid. They are also used on sailing dinghy's trailer's amongst other things and they way alot more than you will ever pull! I have never seen the plastic break, only the tyres rot because of the sea water over a number of years.

Problem with the 20 inch wheel as it will sink the same way your normal bike will so you will be limited by this as to where you can tow it?

Black Sheep rising

I would also like to say thank you to the user Utabintarbo for the words of encouragement. Because dude I am seriously going to beat the **** out of this bike, not like a stole, worse. I am going to beat this rig like it is government issue in a war zone. Not the entire time of course just for a couple months so I know what it can take. So thanks man.

Treat it like a rented mule, and let us know if anything goes sideways. I'd be pretty surprised if it did. Just promise to give full disclosure on the circumstances. I've no doubt that would be an interesting story.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Ivan?
    Gotten your Moonlander yet?