mtbr member
    May 2011

Tell me how crazy this is, so I don't try to do it.

Was poking around on Surly's website and found the Dirt Master 26x2.75 tires, which are apparently designed to be mated with Rabbit Hole 50mm rims.

Well, my Transition Dirtbag has 3" rear tire clearance, and my Rockshox Totem has a 2.8" tire clearance. You can probably guess where I'm taking this idea...

So, how bad of an idea would it be to build a freeride bike into a "Fat Lite" for some urban riding? Are those rims even strong enough to handle some stair rides and 3-5 foot drops?

Pretty sure the answer will be , but just thought I would ask for fun.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Great idea. I took my Dirt Wizard (rear) out for it's first ride. Traction galore!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You can mount the Dirt Wizzard to thinner rim's, 35mm is the minimum Surly recommend.

If there are Jump rims, that you know are bombproof for what you want to do, they might be a safer bet, but from what I have read the Rabbit Holes is quite a solid rim when built us well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Do it, do it, do it!

turtles make me hot
    Rabbit Hole is plenty strong enough for this. I'm wondering if you'll have clearance in the frame height wise.
    The Instigator 2.0 uses a 27.5 fork.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Not in there unfortunately, but on my 66s I managed to squeeze in a 24 x 4" by chopping off the sidewalls (literally). If you got a pair of Zocchi Shivers, they would deff fit

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    You can mount the Dirt Wizzard to thinner rim's, 35mm is the minimum Surly recommend.

If there are Jump rims, that you know are bombproof for what you want to do, they might be a safer bet, but from what I have read the Rabbit Holes is quite a solid rim when built us well.
    Well, the Azonic Outlaws I'm running are only 32mm, so I would have to get some new rims for those tires either way.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Rabbit Hole is plenty strong enough for this. I'm wondering if you'll have clearance in the frame height wise.
    The Instigator 2.0 uses a 27.5 fork.
    I'm more concerned for the fork, honestly. I found this post using a 27.5x2.25 wheel with enough clearance to go a bit bigger, but a 26x2.75 is pretty close to the 26x2.8 max recommended tire size, and I'm not sure how wide the 50mm rims are going to allow the tire to go.

Here are some pics of my clearances right now with Holy Roller 26x2.4 on the 32mm Outlaws:

Tell me how crazy this is, so I don't try to do it.-chain-stay-clearance.jpg
    Tell me how crazy this is, so I don't try to do it.-fork-clearance.jpgTell me how crazy this is, so I don't try to do it.-seat-stay-clearance.jpg

Any thoughts on how the tire might fit inside there?