Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Swap Pugsley big ring in front for bash guard?

I just bent the big 3rd chain ring in front on my 2013 Pugsley
    2nd ride - must've got it hung up on something. Considering the number of times I buried the front tire when it veered off the snowshoe trail and then I supermanned then no big surpise I guess.

the 2 smaller rings in front seem fine and are rideable.

Anybody swapped that big ring in front for a bash guard on a Pugsley?
    any tips on brand/model or build/installation?

any comments much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Just pick one that fits your BCD and matches your middle ring size. It's really easy and most likely a suitable bash ring is made.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    did the same on mine... no need for it for me.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Ditched mine for an MRP Party Crasher. I mostly ride single track, so the big ring is pretty well unnecessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    You can just leave the big ring on as a bash guard and accept it will get trashed. My buddy does that with his MTB and the same big ring is there 4yrs of hard use later.

I've just got a 32T single ring up front, but luckily it's never hit anything.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Smash Mode: ON
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    You can just leave the big ring on as a bash guard and accept it will get trashed. My buddy does that with his MTB and the same big ring is there 4yrs of hard use later.
    One nice thing about a bash over this option is no worries about snagged, torn or stained pants. Putting a bash (salsa tooth fairy) on my mukluk was the best $50 I ever spent on it.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Plus I like how a bash ring slides over logs and such, as opposed to a chain ring which digs in. I know that can be useful, but not for my ungraceful ass
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I swapped in an E-13. Mostly because it seemed like the lightest most durable option out there. looks good too. I think I may have gone bigger than I needed? But I still rarely hit it so no foul?

http://twofattires.com - Fat Bike community, forums and resource.

mtbr member
    Put a basic BBG on my wife's 2013 Pugsley complete. Simple and cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    2nd vote for the BBG bashguard. $18 shipped, and comes in a few colors, drillings, and wide range of BCDs

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just put a BBG on mine. Figure on a Pugsley, don't need a big ring, just don't need to go that fast.
    With the slipping and sliding and needing to get a foot down quickly, that big ring is dangerous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Aaaaawwwweeesome!
    Thanks for the feedback everybody

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I put a Salsa ringdinger on my pugsley. Very nice and simple.

Goat of Legend
    Consider a 36x22 chainring set up. I have this set up with a 9 speed 12x34 cassette on my Mukluk and I love it so much that I'm switching out the 32 tooth on my Jet 9 to a 36x22 chains rings with a 11x34 9 speed cassette. I'm still regularly doing rides between 5500-12,000 ft ( Colorado) and I find it to be perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mochunk View Post
    I swapped in an E-13. Mostly because it seemed like the lightest most durable option out there. looks good too. I think I may have gone bigger than I needed? But I still rarely hit it so no foul?

Well, This didn't hold up as well as I would have liked. I broke it yesterday on a simple log rollover. It wasn't a light hit and I'm not a light guy, but it shattered rather spectacularly with just my weight on it with no air at a walking pace.

I just ordered a BBG.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm probably stating the obvious..

The stock pugsley has this triple 22/32/44t

This means I can replace the large ring with any bashguard larger than 32 right?

mtbr member
    Mochunk, why the huge bash ring? With a smaller one chances are you wouldn't even have made contact with the log except for your tires. Small ones are a lot stronger as well.

Boogman, bashguards are made for certain ring sizes. Get one made for a 32t ring. The selection is huge.

You can also make one for yourself if you're handy:

The size should not be chosen according to your big ring (which you removed), but the biggest ring remaining on the bike. Like so:

Here's how I made mine: DIY: Bash ring for Surly MWOD (58 BCD / 26 t)
    Last edited by Saul Lumikko; 03-24-2013 at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok I read the info on the BGG site and it appears the bashring sizing is in accordance to the chain ring size it's designed to protect.. so a 32t bashguard is sized slightly larger than a 32t ring..

i ordered the 32 bashguard....

mtbr member
    Correctomundo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What the hell happened to that e.13???? I beat the living snot out of mine (on my last Pugsley) and it never failed spectacularly like that! Yikes! But yeah, yours was massive. That may have contributed to it, it was quite low hanging lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Mochunk, why the huge bash ring? With a smaller one chances are you wouldn't even have made contact with the log except for your tires. Small ones are a lot stronger as well.
    Why? It's what the LBS had in stock and I didn't know any better. But I had the same thought, if it were smaller, I wouldn't have hit it. I did hit quite a few times that day as I was reblazing an old trail, but still nothing that should have broken it, based on all I had heard about them. I did get a more sensible 32t bbg. Plus a color more fitting my ongoing theme...

Live and learn. At least, in theory, it did it's job. One last time...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So I found that I liked having the big ring up front after all - for the road. I did some commuting in April and spent most of my time on that big ring so it's staying. I bought the Pugs instead of a Moonie because I wanted max versatility and the big ring up front helps with that.
    But I've already bent the big ring badly once and will likely do so again as I try to ride the Pugs over logs/trees plus I agree with earlier comment that a bash guard should slide where the ring would dig in.
    Ps I still like riding the Pugs fast on the single track too. ;-)
    Thx for all the comments

ouch....
    They do make a few bash guards designed to protect the big ring....I don't run a big ring though, i always use BBG for bash guard.
    Last edited by Shark; 05-15-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I like the Salsa Ringdinger in place of a bashguard. It's not as tough or durable, but it looks nice and suits my needs perfectly.

(I have a truvativ bash guard, 32t chainring, and chainring bolts for converting the stock pugs crank for sale. PM me)
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast