Thread: Swagman FatRack

mtbr member

Swagman FatRack

I have the Swagman XTC2, love this style of rack and now with my fat bike on order. All I can do sit and wait.

So, I started to get my swagman ready for those fat tires. I wanted to keep the cost down and still have the OME look. I was able to do this under $10 total. At work, I used a vice, hacksaw, grinder wheel, hand drill and a milling machine.

Parts:

Needed to cut Two 8 1/2" sections from a 1" X 10' EMT Conduit pipe
    Four Cotter Pins 5/32 X 2"
    Two HD chair leg tips 1"

First, I cut the supporting hoop from the base with a hacksaw. Then ground all the burs off from the hoops and base.

Bending the hoop and trying to get the 5" spread was a bit of trial and error because of a lack of a pipe bender.

The O.D. of the tubing on the hoop is .630" so I used a 5/8 drill bit on the mill then a small hand grinder. I wanted the tolerance to be as close as possible. Also, the O.D. on the base tube was was just under 1" a perfect fit for the conduit. Just needed to be tapped down with an aluminum mallet

With the new pipe sleeve on, and snug up to the mounting block. I drilled a 5/8 hole 1" away from the block and a 5/8 hole a 1/2" past the inner tube.

Anyway you get the idea. It was easy to do and turned out well. I used the 5/32 pins to hold it all together. The chair tips I used for end caps. A coat of paint and that's it. Nothing is loose however, because I didn't have a welder handy, I needed to use those pins.

I may ask a friend to weld it later if needed. At the base, going from the inside of the hoop, it's 5 1/2" and tappers to 4 1/8" at the top.

Last edited by Solo-Rider; 10-14-2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: because I'm using a tablet. :-)
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My plan for my Swagman rack is to use some 1/2" steel square tubing to make a rectangular "hoop" connected to a piece of 1" square tubing. Then weld that onto a piece of 10 gauge bent into a shape that will work with the plastic insert that came with the rack platforms. Unfortunately my brother's welder has been on a bit of a traveling road show the past few months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    My plan for my Swagman rack is to use some 1/2" steel square tubing to make a rectangular "hoop" connected to a piece of 1" square tubing. Then weld that onto a piece of 10 gauge bent into a shape that will work with the plastic insert that came with the rack platforms. Unfortunately my brother's welder has been on a bit of a traveling road show the past few months.
    Lol, If your brother's welder stops for a vacation, post up some photos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Love the work guys! We are looking into the potential of doing an accessory for Fat Bikes. It is difficult to get reliable numbers for the number of bikes out on the market currently. Stay tuned to Swagman Facebook for more details.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Okanagan Dave View Post
    Stay tuned to Swagman Facebook for more details.
    If you were to do a production run of platforms that fit on the XTC2 I'd buy a pair (or set of 4). They'd probably be lighter than anything I could weld together. I'm try to avoid buying a whole new rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I will definitely post on this thread if we make the decision to do something. We want to do something like this, but we have to be conscious of the cost involved. Tooling up for a special run is not inexpensive, and something every company is careful with. The other thought is to do something for our new Semi 2.0 and 4.0 as they share common parts (wheel trays) and are Zero-Frame contact racks which is a nice bonus if you happen to have other high-value bikes to haul around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not sure how well something that clamps onto the tire would work with the low tire pressure of fat bikes. While my bike is stopped, with my hand on the brake I can rock the bike back and forth a fair bit on tire flex alone.

mtbr member
    Dave,

Thank you for having the time to take a look. As im sure you are aware that Fat bikes, are the fastest growing segment in cycling right now.

Whatever Swagman, decides to do with a fat rack attachment design. I'm sure people are glad to see the aftermarket paying attention.

Fred.
    Last edited by Solo-Rider; 10-12-2013 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member

Update.

Here are three photos of my fatrack with my bike installed. As everyone can see. Even when you mount the bike in the closest position to your car, there is no problems with clearance. It holds true just like any other bike that you would normally mount.

Last edited by Solo-Rider; 10-14-2013 at 04:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Good post

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks for the write up and pics. i'm guessing that with the rings widened you wouldn't be able to fit a smaller wheel in there now? i ask because i would like to purchase a rack that is versatile enough for my road bike as well as my 29er and fatbike.

the feedback from swagman in this thread is promising, so might just end up buying this rack and flipping the rings upside down and using velcro straps with my fatbike until they make an attachment available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zcmack View Post
    thanks for the write up and pics. i'm guessing that with the rings widened you wouldn't be able to fit a smaller wheel in there now? i ask because i would like to purchase a rack that is versatile enough for my road bike as well as my 29er and fatbike.

the feedback from swagman in this thread is promising, so might just end up buying this rack and flipping the rings upside down and using velcro straps with my fatbike until they make an attachment available.
    This rack is versatile and economical.

The rack is designed to hold two bikes. Thus, the rack comes standard with two sets of holders. Modify one to hold your fatbike, and keep the other stock to hold any other bike you wish.

Folds up nicely and fits in your trunk when not in use.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've got the 4 bike version and have been thinking of the best way to carry my fat bike. My idea was to have a V or U shaped piece of aluminum made to fit into the existing trays. This new tray would have sides that came up a few inches on each side to secure the wheels. There would be slits in the new tray for the existing straps to go through and secure the tire and tray. Very simple, easy to take on and off and cheap. I've got it sketched out somewhere and a buddy was going to make a couple for me. Just need to get around to doing it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okanagan Dave View Post
    Love the work guys! We are looking into the potential of doing an accessory for Fat Bikes. It is difficult to get reliable numbers for the number of bikes out on the market currently. Stay tuned to Swagman Facebook for more details.
    Maybe, this might help?

It gives Swagman, a good idea of the available tire sizes on the market today. I do realize some others are still in the works. However, most should fall within the 3.8" - 5.0" range. It does look like the 4.0" has become the standard fatbike tire size. Being adopted by most every new player in the fatbike market such as Trek, Kona, Specialized, Motobecane, On One and others.

Surly Endomorph. 3.7
    $89 - $120
    Discontinued by manufacturer, still available at some retailer's.

Surly Larry. 3.8
    $90 - $160

Casing: 120tpi with Kevlar bead (1255g) 27tpi with wire bead (1635g)

Surly Black Floyd. 3.8
    $81 - $90

Casing: 60tpi with Kevlar bead (1050g)

Surly Nate. 3.8
    $81 - $150

Casing: 120tpi with Kevlar bead (1350g); 27tpi with wire bead (1730g)

Vee Rubber Mission. 4.0
    $39 - $75

Casing: 27tpi wire- 120tpi Kevlar bead
    1800g +/- 50g. 1450 +/- 40g

Vee Rubber Vee8. 4.0
    $61 - $90

Casing: 120tpi Kevlar bead (1390g)

Manufacturer suggested use, medium to hard pack trail conditions.

On One Floater. 4.0
    $65 w/Free Shipping outside European Union.
    Casing: 120tpi Kevlar bead (1498g)

Runs great on rims from 55-90mm. (Looks to work on 100mm rims as well.)

Origin8 Devist-8er 2. 4.0
    $35 - $59
    Casing: 60 tpi wire bead (2000g)

Origin8 Devist-8er UL. 4.0
    $34 - $57
    Casing: 120tpi Kevlar bead (1750g)

45NRTH Husker Du. 4.0
    $110 - $150

CASING: 120tpi or 27tpi
    bead folding (120tpi option), Wire (27tpi option)
    RIM COMPATIBILITY 65-102mm wide rims

45NRTH Dillinger. 4.0
    $165 - $225

OPTIONS 120tpi Studded, 27tpi Studded, 120tpi Stud-less
    CASING: 120tpi or 27tpi
    STUDS Aluminum/Carbide (120tpi), Steel/Carbide (27tpi)
    bead folding (120tpi), Wire (27tpi)
    RIM COMPATIBILITY 65-102mm wide rims

FATBACK STERLING 4.25
    $135

4.25″ on a 70mm rim , Casing: 120 tpi Kevlar bead.
    Tubeless compatible (1300g)

Vee Rubber Snowshoe. 4+?
    $120 or about. New to market.
    Casing: 120tpi Kevlar bead. (1350g)

Surly Big Fat Larry. 4.7
    $144 - $190

Casing: 120tpi with Kevlar bead (1400g)

Surly Bud. 4.8
    $145 - $185

Casing: 120tpi with Kevlar bead (1585g)

Surly Lou. 4.8
    $153 - $200

Casing: 120tpi with Kevlar bead (1585g)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I had called swagman when I discovered that Hollywood racks has fat bike wheel trays. Fork Block and Wheel Mount for bike racks, trunk racks, bicycle carriers - Hollywood Racks

The rep said there were no plans to produce anything for the xtc. I have a xtc 4 so I may need to sell to buy another brand.

Need something now. Transport issue with bike was not expected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have the Swagman XC and am using it stock with Larrys and Floaters. With tire pressure around 4 psi it slips in and locks tight and fills the whole tire support. The bike is rock solid in the stock hoops. Didn't even need bungees. Transported my bike 720 miles on the way back from Big Sky, checked every stop and made no adjustments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    And no extra straps? The tires seem to have very little lateral support when I took the bike to the beach this past weekend. Based on your experience, maybe I will call off the search for "better", deflate tires for transport, and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Everything was copacetic. No extra straps. At 4 psi, I was able to push the tires down till they hit the ends as well as the sides of the oval hoop. Missed the rims. Couldn't have asked for a better fit without any further adjustments. I do, however push the bike down when I bring the bar to the top tube, which means you have to do the same to release. A couple of pumps and back up to street ride or no pumps and good for single track (bumpy).

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoasterca View Post
    And no extra straps? The tires seem to have very little lateral support when I took the bike to the beach this past weekend. Based on your experience, maybe I will call off the search for "better", deflate tires for transport, and go from there.

addicted to chunk
    Swagman FatRack-img_2014081554890.jpgAnyone know if those Hollywood fat trays fit onto the square tubing of the swagman?
    I just picked up am xtc2, looks like it'll be a great rack, would love the fat trays though.

I flipped a set, probably add an extra bungee and looks like they'll be fine... But those fat trays would be perfect

I had called swagman when I discovered that Hollywood racks has fat bike wheel trays. Fork Block and Wheel Mount for bike racks, trunk racks, bicycle carriers - Hollywood Racks

The rep said there were no plans to produce anything for the xtc. I have a xtc 4 so I may need to sell to buy another brand.

Need something now. Transport issue with bike was not expected.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2014081554890.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	916053Anyone know if those Hollywood fat trays fit onto the square tubing of the swagman?
    I just picked up am xtc2, looks like it'll be a great rack, would love the fat trays though.

I flipped a set, probably add an extra bungee and looks like they'll be fine... But those fat trays would be perfect

That is exactly my solution. Fits the xtc rack fine. Fork Block and Wheel Mount for bike racks, trunk racks, bicycle carriers - Hollywood Racks

addicted to chunk
    Thanks!!
    I found some online for $40....avant bicycle supply...

Riding.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Excellent. I paid more cause hollywood would not ship to canada. Had to go through distributor to get them. Fill msrp and high ship cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Excellent. I paid more cause hollywood would not ship to canada. Had to go through distributor to get them. Fill msrp and high ship cost.
    Who is the distributor in Canada?

addicted to chunk
    Used it first time today, almost 40 miles, bike stayed put nicely. I added bungee cords around each tire, until the fat trays arrive.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Specialized Ground Control Fat 4.6
    $160
    Casing 120tpi, folding bead
    Advertised at 1450g, my four averaged out at 1350g