mtbr member
    Dec 2009

SW Michigan Beach Bikepacking

Anyone in SW Michigan, Chicago, or northern IN area interested in planning a weekend beach bikepacking trip in the late spring/early summer? I live in the SW portion of the state and have a couple ideas for overnighters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like the idea! Are you the same guy who put this on the NIMBA facebook group? I'm in Niles and have my first fattie on the way. A couple of us were talking about some sort of summer, beach ride. Have you ridden this before? How is access?

Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yep, I'm that guy! My fattie is on order too. Just got word that it ships this week! I put together a route in Google earth from Michigan City to Warren Dunes. Access is good. You have to detour around the Galien River in New Buffalo. You can also ride north from Warren to Grand Mere but you have to take a dirt road detour around the Cook Nuc plant.
    I haven't ridden it before but I have seen a few postings of people riding in this area. Thankfully, the beach is held in public trust so access is not an issue!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    20 mile ride is a bike packing trip? I want to ride some Lake Michigan beach front but if I am bikepacking for a few days I would want to cover some more distance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeah, the idea of the Michigan City to Warren trip is that it is a S240 that is logistically a cake walk to pull off. For a round trip it is a little over 50 miles. We could get a few more miles in by riding up to Grand Mere or a detour to the Greenbush Brewery.