Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Suspension fork for Pugsley?

Bestowers of knowledge,

Is anyone running a suspension fork on their pugs? I've seen fotos of lefty's and the carver obeast, but seem to get mixed reviews. Want to include that to the fat buke experience for the summer & with dope riding conditions in pc, ut bikes are on the brain.

Have been planning to build a Framed AK, but if I could make a mods to the pugs then I wouldnt have the n+1 chat with the sig o.

If folks have had good experiences with the carver obeast I may be inclined to roll that way, as it'd be pretty plug n play with just a wheel relace.

Thoughts, experiences, banter - all greatly appreciated.

Cheers

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Shocking as it is that I'd chime in on this, but I'm curious what would keep you from a Lefty?

Fits no problem, can be tuned to a proper a2c to keep it stock or slack it out if you want slower handling.

All of 'em will offer air spring, lockout, rebound control, and nice stiff, precise handling coupled with a supple ride.

Love mine, all I can tell you there. To each their own if someone was less than happy, but I haven't seen any really negative things said, other than by folks who just don't like them on any bike, period.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Given your options, the Lefty is what could be called a Known Quantity. Simply more people have ridden them, fat or not.

They go squish real pretty-like.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You need an oversized headtube for a Bluto. Pugsley got one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BroJangles View Post
    Bestowers of knowledge,

Is anyone running a suspension fork on their pugs? I've seen fotos of lefty's and the carver obeast, but seem to get mixed reviews. Want to include that to the fat buke experience for the summer & with dope riding conditions in pc, ut bikes are on the brain.

Have been planning to build a Framed AK, but if I could make a mods to the pugs then I wouldnt have the n+1 chat with the sig o.

If folks have had good experiences with the carver obeast I may be inclined to roll that way, as it'd be pretty plug n play with just a wheel relace.

Thoughts, experiences, banter - all greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    I have a Lefty Max (courtesy of MCS) on my 2012 Pugs, and I love it. Changed the whole nature of the bike. I recommend!
    2012 Surly Black-Ops

mtbr member
    Even when I purchase my new F/S fatty my Lefty will be on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The lefty isn't the only option, but it's the best option, and MendonCycleSmith is the guru to consult about making it happen.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Like a fool, I sold my MCS Lefty set up. I wish they were easier to come by, because now decent ones are going for a premium on fleabay.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    The lefty isn't the only option, but it's the best option, and MendonCycleSmith is the guru to consult about making it happen.
    This. Other options include the fork of many names, Maverick and soon, the RST fat fork, but with a straight steerer tube, nothing else touches the lefty in terms of ride quality.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you want to be limited to riding loops in a counter clockwise direction, get a lefty. If yer a man and yer arms move, ride rigid

rog

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    If you want to be limited to riding loops in a counter clockwise direction, get a lefty. If yer a man and yer arms move, ride rigid

rog
    I'm a man and my arms move and I have onset of carpal tunnel that I'm trying to keep at bay because prevention is cheaper than surgery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I'm a man and my arms move and I have onset of carpal tunnel that I'm trying to keep at bay because prevention is cheaper than surgery.
    The keyboard is much worse for your condition than riding rigid.

rog

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    The keyboard is much worse for your condition than riding rigid.

rog
    Indeed, left a career over the issue.

All fat, all the time.

rog
    Let me guess, you have no suspension on your vehicle either right??

Op, yes, lefty for sure. Or an old maverick that is flexy as hell.
    The more you ride, the easier it gets........
    the easier it gets, the more you ride.
    vicious circle

All fat, all the time.
    Last page of the trade thread. There is a Carver fork...
    vicious circle

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Can't hear you Shark, too busy watching stuff that's unmanly:

http://i.imgur.com/iUVgU7m.gif

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Indeed, left a career over the issue.
    A riding buddy of mine has a similar issue i'm pretty sure. When riding does/did your hands go numb? If he's riding rigid he can't go more than 5 minutes without having to stop and shake his hands out. Sus fork no problems.

rog

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    A riding buddy of mine has a similar issue i'm pretty sure. When riding does/did your hands go numb? If he's riding rigid he can't go more than 5 minutes without having to stop and shake his hands out. Sus fork no problems.

rog
    Right hand, yes, but also some phantom stuff with my right shoulder. I have some nerve crap because when I was a young man, I decided to binge drink and start a fight with a concrete floor at speed.

I mean, the smart decision would be for me to not mountain bike at all, since I'm dumb I'll do it anyway and soften some of the chatter.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Also, I'd be lying if I said the suspension eliminates all nerve problems for me. It delays the onset during a ride. (Which I'll gladly accept.)

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Can't hear you Shark, too busy watching stuff that's unmanly:

fixerated
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    fixerated
    It's so, HAPPY!!!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for all the beta crew!

I hadn't imagined I would learn so much about how my desk job would correlate to my needed to ride more and work less Funny, I went to school for Outdoor Education and after years of field experience I manage from behind a computer...

Seriously though, appreciate all the wisdom here.

Looks like regardless of which way I roll, I will have to build a new wheel for the front fork, no biggie there. And it seems w/ a squish fork, it slackens the HTA a bit? I have a bugger of a time managing the proper PSI for trails and ensuring I balance the right amount of squish w/ control.

I'm not super partial either way as my only comparison to any sort of squish is on my NS bike ~ (Manitou Minute Pro) and I thought, if I could combine the powers of that responsiveness with the Pugs, I'd be unstoppable, until I run into a fixed object...

I'll keep my eyes posted on the used market for Lefty, Carver or Maverick - most likely in that order, the real mixed feelings seem to be present with the Maverick rigs, leaky seals, annual rebuild?

Basically I'd be stoked with something that's pretty plug and play and doesn't require tons of maintenance, perhaps I've been lucky, or don't ride hard enough, but mandatory rebuilds every season don't leave me with warm fuzzies.

Muchas Gracias!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Also, I'd be lying if I said the suspension eliminates all nerve problems for me. It delays the onset during a ride. (Which I'll gladly accept.)
    i hear ya and i was just busting ballz. my body most certainly isn't perfect anymore.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by BroJangles View Post
    it seems w/ a squish fork, it slackens the HTA a bit? Basically I'd be stoked with something that's pretty plug and play and doesn't require tons of maintenance, perhaps I've been lucky, or don't ride hard enough, but mandatory rebuilds every season don't leave me with warm fuzzies.
    HTA is totally reliant on a2c. Know what you got (447mm), how you like the handling currently, and whether you want to change that one way or the other if currently it isn't what you'd like, and you can make a good educated choice from there. An inch (25.4mm) of change nets you ~ a degree of HTA change.

As for Leftys, they go from 480 to 520 a2c. Always factor in ~20 mm for sag. That said, a short end of the spectrum Lefty will get you juuuust about stock handling.

As for rebuilds, that's totally dependent on how much and how hard you ride, but most forks I know, regardless of brand or number of legs, are in need of seals and oil after a season or two, if they are ridden with regularity.

Don't like maintenance? You should probably ride SS, rigid, with solid rubber tires!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

All fat, all the time.
    I happen to have a lefty DLR ti for sale (no clamps) and a wheel..... See the classifieds

Honestly it's not worth trying the maverick now that we have other options....
    vicious circle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast