Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Surly and rust?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Surly and rust?

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Moonlander, however I'm wondering is rust an issue with Surlys. I live in Newfoundland (far east Canada) and we are surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean.

I am only planning to ride this in the snow, and maybe on a trail or two during the summer. Not planning on going near the salt water.

Secondly, is the paint easily chippable? I know that is a pretty subjective question.

Tks

What could go wrong ...
    Good info here

Spews Surly Bikes
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've read about people spraying the inside of their steel frames with Weigle's Frame Saver or Amsoil HD (Heavy Duty) Metal Protector.

I like the Amsoil product for my lawn and garden equipment but I don't have a steel frame to try it on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I left my moonlander outside one night.

IMG_1279 by jonshonda187, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Find a Post by CoastKid...somewhere on his site he has a detailed treatment of his pugs.

Has many years of use on the UK coast with good results. Being the same ocean one side should not be much different in that regard than the other.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    lol . . . poor neglected moonie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NLSpruce3 View Post
    I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Moonlander, however I'm wondering is rust an issue with Surlys. I live in Newfoundland (far east Canada) and we are surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean.

I am only planning to ride this in the snow, and maybe on a trail or two during the summer. Not planning on going near the salt water.

Secondly, is the paint easily chippable? I know that is a pretty subjective question.

Tks
    I think people make more of it than really matters. Clean and oil occasionally and it will last fine. Like any mechanical device really.

Shhhh I swear I could hear my Ogre rusting.

Re: Surly and rust?

Who has ever had a new car made out of steel rust in a year.... or 5? The steel bike and rust concern is just paranoia. You would have to be neglecting the crap out of it, and even then for it to really get rusty would be years and years. If you are really worried about it and have an air compressor simply blow out all the wet areas and bolts, yadda yadda and you will be fine. Surly bikes are all steel and majority of them are for road riding and commuting ... on salty roads in winter. They are fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: Surly and rust?

New cars are dipped in an electrolysis zinc bath.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NLSpruce3 View Post

Tks
    I built up my Pugs. It got used in Baja for 5-8 months essentially living outside a tent a frisbee's throw from a beach. It was used during 2 Canadian winters in Calgary and enjoyed a week long bath or corrosive dust at Burning Man.

I didn't rustproof it. I only cleaned it about once a year.

After 4yrs I decided to repaint it due to some surface rust forming. I could have avoided that by washing it with fresh water after salty rides, but I was too lazy.

It now looks like new and will probably get repainted in another 4-5yrs.

I expect this frame will just keep on rolling.

I didn't find the paint easy to chip. It survived quite well given the abuse the bike sustained.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Don't use frame saver, rust is hip it will increase resale value!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Ha, ha. he said he would only use it for a couple of rides...hee, hee..he just doesn't know....

mtbr member
    rolling motor oil around the inside of the frame will help alot too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Don't use frame saver, rust is hip it will increase resale value!
    Rust saver aka rust proofing will only help prevent rust inside the bike. So it won't hurt the rusty re-sale value at all. Washing the bike down when it's salty and waxing the outside will stop exterior rust from forming and could be a problem if your prospective buyer is keen on a rusty bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Two 5yr old Pugs with months of salty beach camping under their belts and a couple Canadian winters. The problem isn't rust - it's finding enough time to ride them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I like bikes
    Lemon pledge helps as spray-on wax. Makes bikes smell good too.
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I left my moonlander outside one night.

IMG_1279 by jonshonda187, on Flickr
    That's funny and how I figured I was at the right house
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Former Union Tinknocker/Tinsmith of decades. Steel rusts = period. If your near salt (winter roads) Ocean,etc. + 20 times. You can prime it paint it, what ever.......it RUSTS out.
    That is why there is Galvanized, Aluminum, Stainless,etc.etc.
    Don't kid yourself..........
    The Only thing that keeps black (steel) from rusting is lots of oil.........

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Who has ever had a new car made out of steel rust in a year.... or 5? The steel bike and rust concern is just paranoia.
    Not to be argumentative but your way off base/wrong. Cars are galvanized and more panels. The steel frames are MUCH heavier than a bikes and Still rust out regularly in salt area's (example Rust/Manufacturing belt USA,Great Lakes,Ocean side). Add welds = 20x more likely to rust where welds are.

Steel rusts out = period/fact. If your near salt (ocean to roads,snow) at least 20x more. This is a fact and definitely Not except to Asian fabricated steel frame bikes .......as if.

Oil keeps steel from rusting. Primer's and paint are temporary.

I fabricated in the skilled trades with various for years/decades...........

Steel is used for bike frames because a) its cheap and b) easy on the pocket book for small shops to....... set up shop, easy to work with, start / maintain business with out large investment compared to what is done,needed with modern aluminum frames, extrusion's , etc. All of which costs more, particularly set up of yet even to engineering............

Don't kid yourself........

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For a ~$500 frame, figuring someone bought one at 18yrs old and the rate it will rust with any care taken at all....I figure buying oneself a new bike by 45 or so is pretty reasonable. I still don't think the frame would rust to a level of failing by then.

I started riding lugged steel frames from the 60's and 70's when they were 15-20yrs old and the only frame failures I had were from wrecking them under my weight and strength. I wasn't messing with frame saver or linseed oil back then, I'd just buy the bike at a yard sale and ride it until I bent it. None of them were rusted out and I barely oiled my chain back then, let alone oiled frames, washed and waxed etc.

I had a motorcycle that shipped with particularly crappy screws and ordered a forum developed obsessive compulsive set of stainless screws to replace them all. Eventually I sold that bike with half the plastic missing on it and the compression shot on the motor. The screws still looked great. What was the value I derived from that little project? Heh.

$500 frame that might rust a bit over 20yrs or $3k custom Ti frame...bit of a different set of wants in the decision process I'd say. Hell in 20yrs I'll be lucky to be able to cycle and likely have gone through a handful more frames just for fun, long before this one rusts out to a point it has to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Not to be argumentative but your way off base/wrong. Cars are galvanized and more panels. The steel frames are MUCH heavier than a bikes and Still rust out regularly in salt area's (example Rust/Manufacturing belt USA,Great Lakes,Ocean side). Add welds = 20x more likely to rust where welds are.

Steel rusts out = period/fact. If your near salt (ocean to roads,snow) at least 20x more. This is a fact and definitely Not except to Asian fabricated steel frame bikes .......as if.

Oil keeps steel from rusting. Primer's and paint are temporary.

I fabricated in the skilled trades with various for years/decades...........

Steel is used for bike frames because a) its cheap and b) easy on the pocket book for small shops to....... set up shop, easy to work with, start / maintain business with out large investment compared to what is done,needed with modern aluminum frames, extrusion's , etc. All of which costs more, particularly set up of yet even to engineering............

Don't kid yourself........
    Yeah years ago we had those old Toyotas in Prince George and Northern Ontario that would trap water in certain points of the frame and just rust out. And we put some Zeibart coating underneath it but that just made it worse, just trapped the moisture and salt and didn't allow it to dry out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    The new moonlanders have the inside treated already, as for the exterior, you should take care of your bike like you should take care of your car, or boat. If you put your boat in salt water you should clean it very thoroughly. You should wash your car and wipe it dry and wax it once in a while as well. Treat your Moonlander like this and it'll be fine. Lots of steel bikes from years back still kickin it.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My experience is that aluminum corrodes faster than steel rusts, assuming similar levels of sealing to begin with. It is funny that there is never a thread about the most popular bike frame material and the deterioration of the metal when the paint fails.

High PH typically attacks aluminum. Many cleaning products are high PH, so it stands to reason that careless use of cleaners may be more of an issue for aluminum.

mtbr member
    Interestingly they make boats for saltwater out of aluminum. It's actually very corrosion resistant but the issue is when it's in electrical contact with dissimilar metals you get galvanic corrosion where the lesser metal corrodes while the higher metal is protected. Since our bikes have lots of components made of metal other than aluminum, I think this is why aluminum bikes corrode. This is also why I am a little skeptical of Salsa's corrosion resistance claims for its Mukluks. Sure, if you throw the naked frame in salt water it will do just fine, but when you bolt a bunch of steel components onto it, it may be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Not to be argumentative but your way off base/wrong. Steel rusts out = period/fact.
    Not be argumentative in return... but duh, yes steel rusts. Everything corrodes... all we are... is dust in the wiiiiiind.

I guess my spin post was to get the point across that this thread shouldn't even exist because:

It has been covered MANY times.

Surly has a s^!% ton of steel frames all over the world, the majority of which are daily commuters on salty, snowy, wet roads... and they aren't rusting out from under people.

It's a bike. Ride it and quite yer dam worryin.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast