mtbr member

SURLY OD Crank on a Muk

I'm a newb when it comes to a lot of this stuff so I have a few questions if someone can help me out. I'm looking to replace my crank on my 12' Muk. I'm looking at the SRAM X5 and the Surly OD, I'm leaning towards the Surly because according to Salsa it provides a bit more space. I'm wanting to run a BFL in the rear to match the one I just mounted up front. If I buy the Surly OD is it just a plug and play deal or would I need to get other parts to make it work? I wasn't sure if I needed a new derailer etc. My Muk is currently bone stock.

Thanks for the help!
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Lusting after a Niner RLT9.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Depends which OD you get, the Pugs or Moonlander one. I got the Moonlander, as I wanted enough clearance to get around a Lou on a Clownshoe. So I have to get the Moonlander Front Deraileur mount as the one that came with my Muk wasn't wide enough to get to the big gear on the crankset. I assume if you got the Pugz one (which I assume would be all you would need with a BFL), you could use the stock Problem Solvers FD adaptor, and need nothing new to make this work.

mtbr member
    The OD I was looking at was the Moonlander one. Was there a big difference in the Q factor going to the OD crank? Do you have any pictures of your set up? Your bike sounds exactly like what I want to do.

Is this the derailer mount you are talking about? Amazon.com: Problem Solvers Direct Mount Front Derailleur Adaptor for Moonlander 34.9mm clamp w/ shims: Sports & Outdoors
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

Dr Gadget is IN
    I have a Fatback, and recently I did the rear BFL/OD swap. I set this bike up originally with 100mm rims - back when Larry was the latest thing, and with a RaceFace Atlas triple the chain would just barely clear. When BFL came out, I tried one and the chain was definitely deflected by the tire in low/first. But cleared in midring/first. Pugs width MWOD/OD setups put the low ring exactly where the Atlas mid ring is, so that was my choice. Installed, the chain just clears the BFL in low/low. This means that as the chain bounces around, there is tire contact - but I wore out the Larry in the tread without sidewall damage from the chain, so I remain unconcerned.

Moonie width MWOD/OD moves the low over to the HIGH ring position of the Atlas. You will need a Moonie direct mount adapter/derailer, where I'm still running the stock e-type derailer. The chain angle of Pugs OD in low/first gear is a bit extreme. Going to high ring position would be like serious cross-chaining for low/first - and since I spend a lot of my time in that gear, I didn't want to go that far. YMMV.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    The OD I was looking at was the Moonlander one. Was there a big difference in the Q factor going to the OD crank? Do you have any pictures of your set up? Your bike sounds exactly like what I want to do.

Is this the derailer mount you are talking about? Amazon.com: Problem Solvers Direct Mount Front Derailleur Adaptor for Moonlander 34.9mm clamp w/ shims: Sports & Outdoors
    Yeah, that is the FD adaptor that I used. The Q factor is definitely a lot wider feeling than the e13 I had on there before. Sorry no pics, but remember that not all Muks can take a Lou with a Clownshoe. Something about the chainstay brace not being accurately welded, and it can come in contact with the crown of the tire. Also, I only use my bike for snow and dry trails, as the clearance on the Lou to the chainstay laterally is not much, and any kind of mud/grime will definitely do some bad rubbing on the stay.

And Wadester is right, definitely not a healthy chain angle, and I am sure chain life will definitely be lessened. So be ready for 0F chain fixes with howling winds. But sure is nice having my low gear back (unlike withe the e13)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. It sounds like the OD Pugs is the way to go. Salsa just got back to me as well and recommended the OD Pugs.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8