mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Surly Nate vs. On-One Floater

I can get both of these for about the same price. Are any of them more preferred than the other?

mtbr member
    NATE's have more traction and more rolling resistance. Depends on what your looking for.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Surly Nate vs. On-One Floater

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    I can get both of these for about the same price. Are any of them more preferred than the other?
    You are either getting a great price on the Nate or are being overcharged for the Floater.

If the Nate is the 27tpi version, get the Floater.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The question lies, as to what you are riding on??

Nates in mud, nothing this side of Lou can touch them. But try riding on a sandy beach and you will pay for that traction (it's like riding with the brakes on), they are also slippery on wet rock. Finally, if they are the 27tpi are a bit on the heavy side and the sidewalls are stiff.

Floaters are a bit less tread and seem to roll quite well, are lighter and you can get some jazzy colours to take your ride back to the 80's.

I have noticed of late however that the weight quoted by on-one has increased for the floater to 1800g.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You are either getting a great price on the Nate or are being overcharged for the Floater.

If the Nate is the 27tpi version, get the Floater.
    27 TPI yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    27 TPI yes.
    I will never use a 27tpi fat tire. Just too stiff. Reduces grip, ride quality and flotation.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Curious, how do the Floaters do in snow? I don't expect them to be like a Nate, but do they do alright?

I love those Orange ones. Wish they were in stock somewhere...

NONDURO
    If putting the Nate on the front, no sense in getting anything other than the 27tpi version, in my opinion, you really won’t notice the difference. So far, my findings are that a Floater in the back and a Nate 27tpi in the front is an awesome combo. I should note that I only do aggressive trail riding (rocks/gravel/off-camber/steep-ass-downhill/steep-ass-uphill/loose dirt/sandy/riverbed/boulders) so your mileage may vary if we’re talking about snow. Floater has a higher durometer than the Nate, which was part of the reason for my running it in the back– it lasts substantially longer than the Nate.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    On-One Floater 120TPI Folding Tyre | On - One --- Pinks on sale $42, green or white $66 And free shipping for $100 or more spent. Orange due early August. Black floaters very good in snow, in my blissful one winter's experience with 100mm rims. More float and only slightly less traction than 27tpi Nates on 65mm.

mtbr member
    As a rear tire on 70mm rims, Floaters rival the traction of Nates in snow. I prefer them, in fact, 'cause they don't seem to saw through the surface quite so much. I run a Nate up front in the winter due to the more rounded profile on my 70mm rims. Floater doesn't spread out enough on the narrower rims, and it tends to deflect left or right when cornering in soft snow. The Floater is an awesome all around tire and I suspect it's even better on 80 -100mm hoops. I run them front and rear in the summer.

Shiggy and Porkstacker know tires. I would listen to them. My experience supports their observations 100 percent.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Floaters are ok in snow, but I like the Nates way more in snow. I use my 120 tpi Nates in the snow and save my Floaters for Summer use.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I will never use a 27tpi fat tire. Just too stiff. Reduces grip, ride quality and flotation.
    Shiggy, have you tried any 60tpi tires that you like or find acceptable in terms of ride quality? Seems like this tpi is starting to become more popular, perhaps as a compromise between performance, durability, and cost.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Shiggy and Porkstacker know tires. I would listen to them. My experience supports their observations 100 percent.
    Wow, thanks for the confidence. I always thought of myself as just some guy who rides fatbikes on all terrain EXCEPT FOR snow, and whose opinions are just that. But I suppose what I want in a fatbike tire might also be the same idea that appeals to the masses as well.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Wow, thanks for the confidence. I always thought of myself as just some guy who rides fatbikes on all terrain EXCEPT FOR snow, and whose opinions are just that. But I suppose what I want in a fatbike tire might also be the same idea that appeals to the masses as well.
    No, thank you. Your observations have been spot on, IMO. I followed your lead on the Nate/Floater combo and to date its my favorite fat tire combo. Used it all last summer, and found the braking and cornering confidence inspiring the few loose, downhill sections of trail I ride locally. Nate is so superior on the front in snow that I studded it and save it for winter only use. Floaters serve my needs for summer riding since most of my local trails are not very technical and my typical riding style isnt that aggressive. Gotta love the price, too, and On One/Planet X are great to deal with.

I'm with Shiggy on my strong preference for 120tpi tires, but I agree with you that 27tpi works ok upfront. Back when I ran them, I hated my 27tpi Larry on the back, but hardly noticed the harsh ride in the forward position.

Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Shiggy, have you tried any 60tpi tires that you like or find acceptable in terms of ride quality? Seems like this tpi is starting to become more popular, perhaps as a compromise between performance, durability, and cost.
    I have not ridden a 60tpi fat bike tire. Vee Rubber recommended the 120 for the Floater over their 60 and 90tpi options as being the best performance with few, if any, downsides.

I have used plenty of smaller 60tpi MTB tires, and most are good, though still not as supple as 120s.
    mtbtires.com

NONDURO
    Meanwhile, my On-One Floater is super freakin’ low on tread depth lately, been hammering up gravelly/rocky/loose/steep (steepest measured at 39% grade) stuff daily on my training rides. Amazingly, it still grabs the loose stuff with confidence on the climbs, although on the high-speed descents I have to purposely be a “skid kid” to position the rear tire where I need it to line up for the apexes on switchbacks.

Meanwhile, my On-One Floater is super freakin’ low on tread depth lately, been hammering up gravelly/rocky/loose/steep (steepest measured at 39% grade) stuff daily on my training rides. Amazingly, it still grabs the loose stuff with confidence on the climbs, although on the high-speed descents I have to purposely be a “skid kid” to position the rear tire where I need it to line up for the apexes on switchbacks.
    Have you worn through the "curbs" on the tread (the working edges on the blocks)?
    I planned on those helping to extend the functional life.
    mtbtires.com

NONDURO
    Have you worn through the "curbs" on the tread (the working edges on the blocks)?
    I planned on those helping to extend the functional life.
    Some are still remaining. I guess what I was trying to convey (I only post on teh intarwebs when I’m drunk, so it seems) was that although my On-One Shiggy-Shizzle tire on the rear of my fatbike needs to be replaced soon due to excessive wear and tear, it grips better than a Surly Nate in a similarly worn state.

Some are still remaining. I guess what I was trying to convey (I only post on teh intarwebs when I’m drunk, so it seems) was that although my On-One Shiggy-Shizzle tire on the rear of my fatbike needs to be replaced soon due to excessive wear and tear, it grips better than a Surly Nate in a similarly worn state.
    Exactly as I planned! Glad to see it has worked.
    mtbtires.com