Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    75

    Surly Mr Whirly with a single 30t sprocket?

    I just put a Alfine 8 on my moonie and am looking to set the front up with a 30t. Anyone did this or can point me in the right direction? I even would consider other cranks but am stumped on how to go about this.

  2. #2
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,526
    Mr Whirly 58/94 BCD spider and Middleburn 30T chainring.
    Middleburn bicycle components, cranks, chainrings, hubs and accessories
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

  3. #3
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Mr Whirly 58/94 BCD spider and Middleburn 30T chainring.
    Middleburn bicycle components, cranks, chainrings, hubs and accessories
    I ran that at first, there's a cheaper, simpler solution, just run a 26T x 58mm right on the Whirly crank arm. It locates in the same position as the spider/chainring, saves weight/$$ and allows a smaller Alfine cog that'll clear the cassette joint better (esp if you want to run the shifter cable up the seat stay):
    Universal Cycles -- Surly MWOD Stainless Steel Chainrings

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I ran that at first, there's a cheaper, simpler solution, just run a 26T x 58mm right on the Whirly crank arm. It locates in the same position as the spider/chainring, saves weight/$$ and allows a smaller Alfine cog that'll clear the cassette joint better (esp if you want to run the shifter cable up the seat stay):
    Universal Cycles -- Surly MWOD Stainless Steel
    Chainrings
    Thanks for the tip! This sounds like good info.
    I noticed that 18 and 20 tooth cogs with chain guards are available.
    26/18 = 1.444
    26/20 = 1.3

    Do you think that 1.3 would put too much torque on the Alfine hub?

  5. #5
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,462
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Do you think that 1.3 would put too much torque on the Alfine hub?
    This starts a entirely new debate, how low can you go? 26x18 is equal to 32x22 which commonly used without issue on Alfine 8. The key is to only shift while coasting, no load allowed. Also, when running low gears on an Alfine 8, I always use Mobil 1 ATF as the lube and change it out once a year. ATF allows the hub to shift without hanging, very important when running low gears.

    BTW skip the Alfine sprockets that have the chain guide and get the standard Nexus cogs. They allow you to set the chainline to 47mm by installing them dish out:
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano Nexus & Alfine Cogs

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    193
    Thanks again for bringing this igneous noob into the light, pursuiter. I am here to learn, and become more metamorphic. I'm going to be starting out with a higher gear range (already purchased), with a 34/23 setup, which works out to 1.478 (vs 1.455 with a 32/22 setup, and 1.444 with the 26/18).

    Vikb's 32/23 setup is relatively low 1.391. I might go there if the 34/23 feels too high, but I' going to try out what I have first.

    Yes, I discovered that those cogs with the chain guide are mainly for systems that use a chain tensioner.
    Standard Nexus/Alfine cogs it is!

    I wish that I would have figured out using the 26/18 before I bought a Mr Whirly spider ($64.75 at Universal) and the gears to go with it. I am now tempted to return my stuff and get the 26/18 stuff instead. After return postage, that would still save me $60, which I can spend on other fatbike necessories.

    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    This starts a entirely new debate, how low can you go? 26x18 is equal to 32x22 which commonly used without issue on Alfine 8. The key is to only shift while coasting, no load allowed. Also, when running low gears on an Alfine 8, I always use Mobil 1 ATF as the lube and change it out once a year. ATF allows the hub to shift without hanging, very important when running low gears.

    BTW skip the Alfine sprockets that have the chain guide and get the standard Nexus cogs. They allow you to set the chainline to 47mm by installing them dish out:
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano Nexus & Alfine Cogs

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    75
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to go for the 26/18 too!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353
    bigger cog in the back is better. less wear
    running a shimano nexus 3-speed sg-3d55 on my pug ops, with 28T front and 23T back.
    wish I can run larger in front, but limited by rear cog.
    also running a 1/8 BMX chain. those 3/32 chains are puny.
    had flipped the dished rear cog to get better chain line.

  9. #9
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,462
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    ...limited by rear cog....
    There's a guy named Mark Stonich in Minneapolis that sells 26T cogs, they need a little work to fit a Shimano hub and they're available in 1/8" only. He has 24T in 3/32 and 1/8". I can't seem to find the link and my google fu is sucking right now.

    found it:
    Large Cogs for Internal Geared Hubs

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,381
    Forget the Surly spider. It's a fragile construction and expensive.

    26t front is simpler, but increases chain tension quite a bit. I ran 26/15 SS for a while but wanted a larger chain system for longer chain life. I decided that 33/21 was the way to go.

    I had these babies custom made for my Moonlander and Mr. Whirly cranks. 58 mm BCD, 33 teeth with 104 mm 4-bolt and 110 mm 5-bolt holes for attaching a secondary chainring (dinglespeed) or bash guard to the side:



    Here's the chainstay clearance. Plenty enough:



    Cheers,
    Saul

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    49
    Saul-
    If you don't mind me asking, who made those custom rings for you? I'd love to get a 28t for a 58mm BCD.
    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Surly Mr. Whirly crank failure
    By hunter006 in forum Surly
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM
  2. Surly Mr. Whirly vs Profile Racing MTB
    By mikhalit in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM
  3. Surly Mr Whirly singlespeed chainline?
    By lolmaus in forum Surly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM
  4. Spam: Surly MWOD Whirly setup
    By donkey in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
  5. Surly Mr Whirly with Shimano BB
    By russmu66 in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •