mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Surly Moonlander soldout?

Hey.

I live in Sweden and the Surly Moonlander just caught my eye. I really want one. Looking at the other fat bikes , all I can think of is the Moonlander.

Please. Is there anyone out there who knows a store selling them for a decent price?

Or is it cheaper to build it part by part?

Best Regards,
    Adava

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just ordered one through my LBS last week and got it the next day. I am in Minnesota, so is Surly (QBP). The cost to build it part by part would be astronomical, so I would suggest buying a complete bike. No idea on great deals that would ship to Sweden though..

ogarajef@luther.edu
    What size are you looking for?
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1 View Post
    What size are you looking for?
    I don't know what size fits me the best. I've got a slim body and my lenght is about 186cm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am the same height ( 6 feet 1 inch) and my large fits me well if that helps you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Adava View Post
    I don't know what size fits me the best. I've got a slim body and my lenght is about 186cm.
    I've sized thousands of bikes and will share my process with you:

If I were 186cm or 6 foot 2.5, I would try both large AND XL to see if the large is too aerodynamic and places too much weight on the hands (this can cause ulnar nerve pain or arm numbness). You will see a tall saddle and short handlebar height (relative to eachother). If the XL is too tall in the frame, you will feel like a grampa riding ontop of a boat and your "junk" might be less than 1" from the top of the top tube when standing over the bike. If you have a tough time assessing the difference between them, exagerate the riding consequences/effects to your anatomy by riding a medium and an XL and observing what your body tells you. The medium will likely just feel wrong immediately (the seatpost may run out or the bike will look funny). Try the large again. Offer the shop your cedit card and ID as collateral so that you can ride them outside. Once you have decided, and have bought the correct size, ride the hell out of it. Ride over 40km several times and you will know if any fit adjustments need to be made. Ride longer if possible. The more you ride, the more your fit critique will improve because it will make you more aware of your relationship to the bike. That's when and IF you need a pro fit. Otherwise stock frame/parts are OK. I hope this makes sense and you can use this info to your advantage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    I am the same height ( 6 feet 1 inch) and my large fits me well if that helps you.
    Close...
    186cm/2.5=74.4 inches
    74.4/12=6.2 or 6 feet + a 5th of a foot or total 6'2.5"...bla bla...still likely a large.

mtbr member

Wait for the Ice Cream Truck or you will have buyer's remorse at owning a product that is more than 6 months old and basically obsolete only useful for its historical value in museums.

Ice Cream Truck | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Wait for the Ice Cream Truck or you will have buyer's remorse at owning a product that is more than 6 months old and basically obsolete only useful for its historical value in museums.

Ice Cream Truck | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    It's got the same 4.8 tires like the moonlander just another type? Sweet!

I can find two things that are bad for me in this scenario:

1. It's likely gonna cost more than the moonlander is now, which is over 2300$.
    2. It's blue! I'm gonna have to repaint it black

But hey, thanks for posting. Really didn't know about the ICT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I love my moonlander, no regrets. If I had to do it again, I would still buy the moonlander.

If it does help though, looks like a black ice cream truck with 3.8's is now available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post
    I love my moonlander, no regrets. If I had to do it again, I would still buy the moonlander.

If it does help though, looks like a black ice cream truck with 3.8's is now available.
    The 4.8's are really tempting tho.

Thingamejigger
    Adana, they do a black ICT but it's got 4 inch tyres.

This years moonlander is gold by the way!

What about 9:zero:7 bikes, they do black frames.

mtbr member
    Love my Moonlander, It was the 2nd one in the UK, It is 2 1/2 years old now and it is my beach riding only fatbike out the 3 fatbikes i own,
    I would love a ICT-but i cannot commit to the outlay-but i have rode a pre production ICT and it was differant-no flip flop steering at slow speeds and i guess with a Bluto fork and BUD/Lou tyres quite a machine!,
    Meanwhile the Moonlander ticks all the boxes for pure beachriding as it can be used with a IGH of choice.

Oh mine is not for sale!, but maybe you could score a secondhand one with little use at a good price?
    Last edited by coastkid71; 08-03-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Love my Moonlander, It was the 2nd one in the UK, It is 2 1/2 years old now and it is my beach riding only fatbike out the 3 fatbikes i own,
    I would love a ICT-but i cannot commit to the outlay-but i hae rode a pre production ICT and it was differant-no flip flop steering at slow speeds and i guess with a Bluto fork and BUD/Lou tyres quite a machine!,
    Meanwhile the Moonlander ticks all the boxes for pure beachriding as it can be used with a IGH of choice.

Oh mine is not for sale!, but maybe you could score a secondhand one with little use at a good price?
    Oh coastkid, what an honor! Been watching your vids a lot. Yeah, I'd take a secondhand Moonlander any day. I just don't have anyone selling them here in Sweden..

mtbr member

Surly Moonlander soldout?

Moonlander and haven't looked back. I must say I do like the idea of the ICT but I love the geometry of the moonie.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/