Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Surly Moonlander

Anyone know of a shop selling them complete from Surly? I've seen the frames available and read where the complete bike was supposed to be available in Dec 2011. Google is letting me down, the search shows nothing for complete bikes for sale Thanks in advance

Bicycle Obsessed
    If you are in Canada, I know that Bowcycle has them on the floor built up. They also have some Pugs and Necros.
    Welcome to Bowcycle.com

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by raspadoo View Post
    Anyone know of a shop selling them complete from Surly? I've seen the frames available and read where the complete bike was supposed to be available in Dec 2011. Google is letting me down, the search shows nothing for complete bikes for sale Thanks in advance
    Try the Surly website dealer locator, looks like the closest Surly shop to you is Jensen. They show Pugsleys in stock, all sizes. I'd give them a call to see if they have any Moonlanders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, checked them out, exactly what I'm looking for but I'm in Southern California Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Try the Surly website dealer locator, looks like the closest Surly shop to you is Jensen. They show Pugsleys in stock, all sizes. I'd give them a call to see if they have any Moonlanders.
    Been on hold with them a few times and gave up, never spoke to a person, I did not see the Moonlander listed on their website either

mtbr member
    I have been told by a couple of Minneapolis area shops that a new batch of Moonlanders are expected to land in March. There is also already an 18 inch at one of the shops.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    There are several Moonlanders at the Minneapolis bike shops and several in Bloomington one in Eagan.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    One in Telluride, CO at Paragon sports

They also have a sweet Neck pugs w/ Alfine 11 / Dynamo front on the floor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rasmussen Bike shop - Triathlon, Bike Shop - West Des Moines, IA | Facebook

Rasmussen Bike Shop in Des Moines, IA has one for sure!

-bustin punks
    Treefort bikes here in SE Mich has an 18" Moony built up and ready to go. They also have a 20" Necromancer Pug sitting right next to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds as if they are shipping to the areas with snow, my main use would be in the sand as we go to the local dunes to play a couple times a month in the winter. Wonder how they would perform.. Just looking for a way to shake off the fog out there after late nights by the campfire (-=

Bicycle Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by raspadoo View Post
    Sounds as if they are shipping to the areas with snow, my main use would be in the sand as we go to the local dunes to play a couple times a month in the winter. Wonder how they would perform.. Just looking for a way to shake off the fog out there after late nights by the campfire (-=
    If you want to look up some info on beach and dune riding, look up posts by CoastKid71. He has lots of beach and dune experience. I've never ridden dunes myself, but it sure looks like a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    You won`t be dissapointed at the Moonlander on dunes
    There is a quick bit of dune surfing on my moonlanding film

Some dune surfin on the pugsley here from last summer

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Freewheel Bike Shop - Minneapolis - Twin Cities - St. Paul - Trek - Gary Fisher - Nokian - Schwalbe - studded tires

Call them and ask about sizing and pricing. Surly is strict about MAP, but calling them is different :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    coastkid71 those videos are great, you have any experience in desert (dry) dunes? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We have a 20" at the Bicycle Chain in Roseville, MN. Facing the temptation of buying it on a daily basis is really starting to get to me, so I hope it disappears soon.

mtbr member
    I'm going to get a fatbike (probably, the ML) and did some search for the store that is able to send the bike to Russia (there are no official Surly or QBP dealers here, AFAIK).

I've found that Bikeman (bikeman.com is their website) sends so-called "Creator frames" (which are genuine Surly moonlander frames) and "Creator builds" (which are sets of parts you need to build the complete Moonlander).

Here are some quotes from their website:
    Surly complete bikes cannot be shipped. However, we know a lot of folks derive great pleasure from assembling their own bikes. If you fit this description we can ship you a DIY package consisting of a Bike Creator Frame and a Bike Creator Build so you can assemble your own Surly bike with the exact same spec that comes on a pre-built Surly complete bike. Just purchase the Bike Creator Frame and matching Bike Creator Build shown in the 'Related Items' on the right and two or more boxes will arrive on your doorstep with all you need to assemble your favorite Surly steed. You must order both the Bike Creator Frame and the Bike Creator Build together, they are not available separately. No substitutions or omissions on Bike Creator Builds.
    Complete Bike Creator Build with same spec as complete Surly bike. Available only with purchase of accompanying Bike Creator Frame, not available separately. Purchase Bike Creator Frame with matching Bike Creator Build and you will have all you need to assemble your favorite Surly steed.
    Bike Creator Frame for assembling a complete Surly bike. Available only with purchase of accompanying Bike Creator Build, not available separately. Purchase Bike Creator Frame with matching Bike Creator Build and you will have all you need to assemble your favorite Surly steed.
    When I bought my previous bike from that store, they did the assembly for me for quite a reasonable price (50 USD for all the work), so, I believe, they can help you to build the ML from their "Creator" parts.

I hope, this info will be useful, especially for the international fatbike-lovers, who for some reasons cannot go to the US and buy the ML there :))
    Please, sorry for my English. It's not my native language.

mtbr member
    I've got my Moonlander!

Everything went OK. I strongly advice Bikeman.com to anyone, who want to buy a Moonlander or Pugsley (or any other bike, in fact), especially to international buyers.

They sent the bike here, to Russia, without any issues for quite a reasonable price. They helped me to determine the correct frame size. I'm totally satisfied.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitatunarabe View Post
    I've got my Moonlander!

Everything went OK. I strongly advice Bikeman.com to anyone, who want to buy a Moonlander or Pugsley (or any other bike, in fact), especially to international buyers.

They sent the bike here, to Russia, without any issues for quite a reasonable price. They helped me to determine the correct frame size. I'm totally satisfied.
    Agree (Davis) and Bikeman rock! Been buying from them on and off since the late 80's and each and every time its been a pleasure.
    Just recieved a Carver fork last week from them for her new fatbike build on a 9zero7.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitatunarabe View Post
    I've got my Moonlander!

That is one nice looking Moonlander!!!

Congrats!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitatunarabe View Post
    i've got my moonlander!

everything went ok. I strongly advice bikeman.com to anyone, who want to buy a moonlander or pugsley (or any other bike, in fact), especially to international buyers.

They sent the bike here, to russia, without any issues for quite a reasonable price. They helped me to determine the correct frame size. I'm totally satisfied.
    Фотографии выглядеть весело, нравится новый велосипед!

mtbr member
    Rushmore cycles in Spearfish S/D had a 20 inch moon and an 18 necro in a few days ago

mtbr member

Moonlander, some more impressions

One of the MTBR members sent me a PM asking about my new impressions about the Moonlander: whethet I still satisfied, what are the issues with the bike, etc. I'll try to answer here, because I believe my experience can be interesting for someone else.

First of all, the issues:
    1. The stock bottom bracked is absolutely junk! I replaced it with Chris King. Of course, I ride sometimes in really rough conditions (rivers, puddles and so on), but the bike _is_ built for that, isn't it?

2. The bearings in the front hub suck. They totally crashed out, so I must replace them. Again, they were immersed in dirty water too many times, but... Are we still speaking about the offroad bike?

3. The saddle and the grips are cheap, not the best of the breed. I replaced the stock saddle with Brooks B-17 Women (planning to swipe it out with Fizik Kurve) and ordered Ergon grips

4. The brakes are quite good, but I borrowed some hydraulic-equipped bikes to do some test rides and I really like them. I'm thinking of buying a set of Hope V2s for my Moonie.

Secondly, I'll try to answer the questions which I received.

Is there anything you'd change?
    Saddle, brakes, bottom bracket, headset... And possibly frame (here are some quite interesting titanium fatbike offers in Russia). Also, I replaced the small front 22t gear with 20t one, and I like this little "upgrade". I'm planning to install IGH (possibly, Rohloff Speedhub) or Sram XX1 in the future.

What terrain do you ride yours on mostly and what tyres do you use?
    I ride my Moonlander all the year round. I'm not very experienced rider, so I don't ride hard downhill / freeride (that crazy things which you can see on RedBull videos).

But I like singletracks, forest fireroads, frozen rivers and lakes, and glades / cuttings:

Sometimes my roads are dirty:

I try to avoid pavement when possible, but if I must ride there, this is not a problem for the Moonlander (I can maintain average speed about 20-23 km/h (12 - 14 mph)):

You can see some examples below:
    1. Riding in the rain (Surly Bud and Lou): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAVxmgkB6qo

2. A little uphill training on Moonlanders with my friend (Bud&Lou vs. BFLs):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEFg3V4mNzs

3. A friend of mine trying to climb a steep hill (BFLs):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-g9Uw5_UzU

And some photos:

I'm on the very top of the hill on this picture

You can see more pictures of my roads in the daily fatbike pic thread.

I used the Moonlander as a touring bike with panniers and bags (about 20 kg or 44 lbs of weights excl. the bike itself) and I like its offroad and climbing capabilities.

I have two sets of tyres: the BFLs and Bud&Lou. The BFLs are noticeble lighter and have less rolling resistance, but Bud&Lou give you a lot of traction. Personally, I prefer them over the BFLs.

I've also ordered a set of grip studs to use in the winter (haven't try them yet).

How do you think it would go towing a BOB Ibex trailer?
    I haven't used (or even seen) the BOB trailers, they are not popular here, in Russia. We prefer panniers and frame bags here. And i recommend you to see at Wiscacha bag by RD.

I am wondering if you're still satisfied with yours? [Moonlander]
    YES! The bike is totally awesome! Of course, if you have a lot of $$$ and / or free time or skills, you can order / build a better bike. And stock Moonlander should have some upgrades (I'm speaking about 2012 and 2013 models), such as headset, BB, hubs, etc. But I like the idea of complete fatbike which one can buy without an effort, need of special skills or knowledge.

----
    And I have a question myself: is there a thread about suspension fork for the Moonlanders (Bud&Lou on 100mm rims, not 3.7mm tyres on 80mm rims) on the MTBR?

I want to experiment with install a front suspension system on my bike, but cannot find the place where I can read about it. In most threads people discussed about narrower tyre options that I need.
    Last edited by Nitatunarabe; 09-29-2013 at 03:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Great info, very well written.

Cheers,
    Al
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

mtbr member
    All the parts you have upgraded are common amongst many of the owners, also often bars and stem which is a personal thing. Do not know of front suspension yet, possibly a Cannondale Lefty?, contact Meldon Cycle Smith on here for lefty info and advice.
    Yeah good write up!
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast