Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

SURLY KramPug thread...

Post up pics of your Surly Pugsleys with offset Rabbit Hole 3" Knard wheel sets

Your views and opinions on the ride etc...

Heres mine. First in the UK, probably Europe..

KramPug NB Law 005 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 007 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 008 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 009 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 011 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 014 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 016 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 019 by coastkid71, on Flickr

The BB height is now an inch higher, but the ride is still like a Pugsley - comfortable, predictable, and fun. Now it rolls a lot more and feels great on the dry summer trails we have this now here in S.E Scotland. The higher BB height means i can fit regular 2.35 mud tyres without too much worry of pedal strike, and with the singlespeed it will be a great winter bike for my local woods.

KramPug NB Law 030 by coastkid71, on Flickr

So a new lease of life for the old frame that was Scotlands first Pugsley

Some words here on the blog how this bike came to be; coastrider: SURLY KramPug... Meet The New Boss... Same As The Old Boss...

And some film...

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

PRETENDURO
    Nice! So, you must have what now, 4 or 5 fatbikes in your stable?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    nice pictures!

mtbr member
    4 SURLYs, KM 29 with 3x9, Moonlander, Pugsley, and the Krampug

Another Pugsley is on pre order for next year . But if i say what it is Eric from SURLY says he will fly over and shoot me...

mtbr member
    Geez a shottie of your back wheel till I see if it will fit the 907, ta !
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: SURLY KramPug thread...

Very cool. I've been thinking of doing this.

Let's see some others! I know there are more out there. I seem to remember a cool lime green themed one that was posted a while back.

Dinner for wolves
    So...how do you like the Krampug?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Interesting….. I was thinking about doing a new wheelset on mine and this is very tantalizing!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    May 2011

Dug these pictures up, courtesy of murphy87. Cool bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    CK...

Wonder how the handling would be with...say a 4" knard in the rear with a 65mm rim?

Should slacken the head angle about a degree, still gain a little BB height, and a little more 'cush' at the rear for comfort. Hopefully, the size difference between F&R would not be too noticeable. (The 29+ knard has a narrower but longer contact patch over the 4" knard...but the difference between them...?)

Then, I wonder how that result would compare to the Krampus with the pugs' shorter wheelbase?
    The Blessings of Providence...NOwhere or NOWhere? ...Chuck Norris paraphrased

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

my krampug lefty

SURLY KramPug thread...-1004434_10200255004492158_1662771710_n.jpgSURLY KramPug thread...-1005060_10200255004212151_1987985135_n.jpg

only thing I have to assamble is a chainguide for my 1x9 gear, looking for the right one.

mtbr member
    May 2011

^ Awesome!

mtbr member
    Awesome! Question - how did the offset build with the Rabbit Hole rims? Is the spoke tension decent? ALso, I assume those are Mendon clamps up front for the Lefty?

Thinking I'll sell off my UMA70/Hudo wheelset and go with a set like that for the summer. That looks killer cool.

Nemophilist
    Hey Kid;

Or anyone else running a similar 29x3 setup. I'm interested in the ride qualities. I'm riding my Fatties rear round, as a regular all-mountain bike on the same terrain I always ride, and am finding the lack of sprung suspension to be little if any problem. The big tires are doing the job quite nicely in most cases and I'm having more fun than on my RIP9. I'm wondering how much of a trade off dropping to a 3" tire is in terms of ride quality? Will I lose enough "suspension travel" to miss the full fatness with this near fat setup?

Cool setup by the by...
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

pug biker

krampug lefty

Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Awesome! Question - how did the offset build with the Rabbit Hole rims? Is the spoke tension decent? ALso, I assume those are Mendon clamps up front for the Lefty?

Thinking I'll sell off my UMA70/Hudo wheelset and go with a set like that for the summer. That looks killer cool.
    The wheelbuild was easy, like a normal wheel. so no problem. spoke tension is good, so decent.
    Yes the clamps are the excelent work of Mendon!
    greetz
    miesj
    miesj

create your own FAT path 2 succes, don't just follow others

mtbr member
    Looks like an awesome extension to the versatility of the Pugsley!

I had a look at the geometry charts and a Medium size KramPug has the BB 5 mm higher, 1° steeper front, 46.6 mm shorter wheelbase and 2 mm longer chainstays compared to the Krampus. The differences are large enough to affect handling for sure, but in theory it looks to me like the KramPug should still handle like a proper bike. Another fork with more rake might come into question to compensate for the elongated trail.

What are your thoughts and possible experiences regarding the differences between the Krampus and KramPug?

=========
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 06-25-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the numbers! I was getting ready to dive into the geo charts myself...

In the case of a Lefty Krampug, the fork offset should be around 45mm as opposed to the stock Pug fork at 38mm... And with the Mendon clamps and a bit of wheel dishing you could increase take quite a bit more. That'll get the trail number where the Krampus is. I don't think we'll get to the same wheelbase as the Krampus but that may not matter.

The cool thing about the Krampug is the ability to do full 2x or even 3x gearing without hassle...

mtbr member

Quick review after a weeks riding...

After a weeks holidays riding the KramPug here is what i have found...

It is Awesome!

JM Park 009 by coastkid71, on Flickr

The 29+ 3" wheel/tyre set up are exactly inbetween a 4" fat tyre bike (for myself a Pugsley) and a 29er tyre bike (for myself a Karate Monkey) as expected, but you get no bob as you do on trails with 4" fat, and more comfort than a regular 29er 2.5" tyre...

The Knards are great on this UK summers drought conditions.
    As with a Pugsley when i first got one i first ran the tyres too hard and have now aired them down a bit over the last week until i found an ideal pressure - around 18 -20 PSI,

I rode through wet mud passing a potato field irrigator and the tyres clogged and were terrible, but we know tht already with the Knards being a dry tyre (UK spelling) so that was expected,

BUT, heres the KramPug trump card; cause of the 1" higher BB you could fit regular 2.25" 29er mud tyres and still have ok BB height/pedal clearance
    I had GATO GEAX wire bead 2.25" tyres on my Karate Monkey and will fit these for winter. With the clean running 32x18 singlespeed drive chain i will have a great winter trails bike which i can still lower the tyre pressure down to 20 psi with the 50mm rims...

Until we get a 3" Nate you cannot do this to a SURLY Krampus...

A set of these wheels on a Pugsley for regular trails is a no brainer,
    The Pugsley is faster, tracks straight, rides through twisting single track way quicker, and picks up speed quicker than a 4" tyre regular Pugsey wheelset...

Here in the UK there is a differant ideal to Fatbikes to the USA. There is a a big thing about weight, yet still sticking to 4" tyres.
    This includes UK Trail Centres, something i personaly don`t get, why i have a 29er which is way faster and jumps better,

For dragging fat bikes up mountains, i found the rebound at speed on descents the problem, these tyres are the perfect half way house between 4" fat and 2.5" 29er - no bob but more comfort than 29er...

I would say unless your riding sandy trails and the beach, or Peat Moorland conditions why drag 4" tyres around?,

For most conditions the 50mm rim/3" Knard set up is way more fun, and defo the future,
    I am buying a new Pugsley next year and after riding these wheels in singlespeed will be getting a geared rear set up with HOPE hubs for thenew Pugsley to have a great bike with the best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    BUT, heres the KramPug trump card; cause of the 1" higher BB you could fit regular 2.25" 29er mud tyres and still have ok BB height/pedal clearance
    I had GATO GEAX wire bead 2.25" tyres on my Karate Monkey and will fit these for winter. With the clean running 32x18 singlespeed drive chain i will have a great winter trails bike which i can still lower the tyre pressure down to 20 psi with the 50mm rims...

Until we get a 3" Nate you cannot do this to a SURLY Krampus...
    I'm confused. The geo charts show 5 mm difference in BB drop between the Krampus and Pugsley frames, which is about 1/5 inches. With any given wheels and tires you'd install on a Krampus or Pugsley, the BB on the former should be only 5 mm lower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    I'm confused. The geo charts show 5 mm difference in BB drop between the Krampus and Pugsley frames, which is about 1/5 inches. With any given wheels and tires you'd install on a Krampus or Pugsley, the BB on the former should be only 5 mm lower.
    If I follow correctly, think BB height, not drop.

Assuming Larry tires on the pugs = 741 dia. vs 773 for the 29+ = 16mm higher BB add a few more due to the difference in tire pressures run?

At least that is how I read it.
    The Blessings of Providence...NOwhere or NOWhere? ...Chuck Norris paraphrased

Dinner for wolves
    Its calling to me...fixie Krampug...
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    If I follow correctly, think BB height, not drop.

Assuming Larry tires on the pugs = 741 dia. vs 773 for the 29+ = 16mm higher BB add a few more due to the difference in tire pressures run?

At least that is how I read it.
    When using the same wheels and tires, BB drop difference = BB height difference.

mtbr member
    The ~32mm BB height difference is due to jump from 4" tires to 29+.

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    I am buying a new Pugsley next year and after riding these wheels in singlespeed will be getting a geared rear set up with HOPE hubs for thenew Pugsley to have a great bike with the best of both worlds
    Why you don't buy a Krampus? What you find better on Pugs than Krampus?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast