Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

SURLY KramPug 29+ thread...

Surly Pugsley with 2 sizes of wheels- 4" and 29+, Two bikes in one!
    Post up pics of your Surly Pugsleys with offset Rabbit Hole 3" tyre 29+ wheel sets
    Your views and opinions on the ride etc...

Heres mine. First in the UK, probably Europe..

KramPug NB Law 005 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 007 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 008 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 009 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 011 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 014 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 016 by coastkid71, on Flickr

KramPug NB Law 019 by coastkid71, on Flickr

The BB height is now an inch higher, but the ride is still like a Pugsley - comfortable, predictable, and fun. Now it rolls a lot more and feels great on the dry summer trails we have this now here in S.E Scotland. The higher BB height means i can fit regular 2.35 mud tyres without too much worry of pedal strike, and with the singlespeed it will be a great winter bike for my local woods.

KramPug NB Law 030 by coastkid71, on Flickr

So a new lease of life for the old frame that was Scotlands first Pugsley

Some words here on the blog how this bike came to be; coastrider: SURLY KramPug... Meet The New Boss... Same As The Old Boss...

And some film...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tVPEo3m4wRo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by coastkid71; 07-01-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

PRETENDURO
    Nice! So, you must have what now, 4 or 5 fatbikes in your stable?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    nice pictures!

mtbr member
    4 SURLYs, KM 29 with 3x9, Moonlander, Pugsley, and the Krampug

Another Pugsley is on pre order for next year . But if i say what it is Eric from SURLY says he will fly over and shoot me...

mtbr member
    Geez a shottie of your back wheel till I see if it will fit the 907, ta !
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: SURLY KramPug thread...

Very cool. I've been thinking of doing this.

Let's see some others! I know there are more out there. I seem to remember a cool lime green themed one that was posted a while back.

Dinner for wolves
    So...how do you like the Krampug?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Interesting….. I was thinking about doing a new wheelset on mine and this is very tantalizing!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    May 2011

Dug these pictures up, courtesy of murphy87. Cool bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    CK...

Wonder how the handling would be with...say a 4" knard in the rear with a 65mm rim?

Should slacken the head angle about a degree, still gain a little BB height, and a little more 'cush' at the rear for comfort. Hopefully, the size difference between F&R would not be too noticeable. (The 29+ knard has a narrower but longer contact patch over the 4" knard...but the difference between them...?)

Then, I wonder how that result would compare to the Krampus with the pugs' shorter wheelbase?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

my krampug lefty

SURLY KramPug thread...-1004434_10200255004492158_1662771710_n.jpgSURLY KramPug thread...-1005060_10200255004212151_1987985135_n.jpg

only thing I have to assamble is a chainguide for my 1x9 gear, looking for the right one.

mtbr member
    May 2011

^ Awesome!

mtbr member
    Awesome! Question - how did the offset build with the Rabbit Hole rims? Is the spoke tension decent? ALso, I assume those are Mendon clamps up front for the Lefty?

Thinking I'll sell off my UMA70/Hudo wheelset and go with a set like that for the summer. That looks killer cool.

Nemophilist
    Hey Kid;

Or anyone else running a similar 29x3 setup. I'm interested in the ride qualities. I'm riding my Fatties rear round, as a regular all-mountain bike on the same terrain I always ride, and am finding the lack of sprung suspension to be little if any problem. The big tires are doing the job quite nicely in most cases and I'm having more fun than on my RIP9. I'm wondering how much of a trade off dropping to a 3" tire is in terms of ride quality? Will I lose enough "suspension travel" to miss the full fatness with this near fat setup?

Cool setup by the by...
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

pug biker

krampug lefty

Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Awesome! Question - how did the offset build with the Rabbit Hole rims? Is the spoke tension decent? ALso, I assume those are Mendon clamps up front for the Lefty?

Thinking I'll sell off my UMA70/Hudo wheelset and go with a set like that for the summer. That looks killer cool.
    The wheelbuild was easy, like a normal wheel. so no problem. spoke tension is good, so decent.
    Yes the clamps are the excelent work of Mendon!
    greetz
    miesj
    miesj

create your own FAT path 2 succes, don't just follow others

mtbr member
    Looks like an awesome extension to the versatility of the Pugsley!

I had a look at the geometry charts and a Medium size KramPug has the BB 5 mm higher, 1° steeper front, 46.6 mm shorter wheelbase and 2 mm longer chainstays compared to the Krampus. The differences are large enough to affect handling for sure, but in theory it looks to me like the KramPug should still handle like a proper bike. Another fork with more rake might come into question to compensate for the elongated trail.

What are your thoughts and possible experiences regarding the differences between the Krampus and KramPug?

=========
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 06-25-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the numbers! I was getting ready to dive into the geo charts myself...

In the case of a Lefty Krampug, the fork offset should be around 45mm as opposed to the stock Pug fork at 38mm... And with the Mendon clamps and a bit of wheel dishing you could increase take quite a bit more. That'll get the trail number where the Krampus is. I don't think we'll get to the same wheelbase as the Krampus but that may not matter.

The cool thing about the Krampug is the ability to do full 2x or even 3x gearing without hassle...

mtbr member

Quick review after a weeks riding...

After a weeks holidays riding the KramPug here is what i have found...

It is Awesome!

JM Park 009 by coastkid71, on Flickr

The 29+ 3" wheel/tyre set up are exactly inbetween a 4" fat tyre bike (for myself a Pugsley) and a 29er tyre bike (for myself a Karate Monkey) as expected, but you get no bob as you do on trails with 4" fat, and more comfort than a regular 29er 2.5" tyre...

The Knards are great on this UK summers drought conditions.
    As with a Pugsley when i first got one i first ran the tyres too hard and have now aired them down a bit over the last week until i found an ideal pressure - around 18 -20 PSI,

I rode through wet mud passing a potato field irrigator and the tyres clogged and were terrible, but we know tht already with the Knards being a dry tyre (UK spelling) so that was expected,

BUT, heres the KramPug trump card; cause of the 1" higher BB you could fit regular 2.25" 29er mud tyres and still have ok BB height/pedal clearance
    I had GATO GEAX wire bead 2.25" tyres on my Karate Monkey and will fit these for winter. With the clean running 32x18 singlespeed drive chain i will have a great winter trails bike which i can still lower the tyre pressure down to 20 psi with the 50mm rims...

Until we get a 3" Nate you cannot do this to a SURLY Krampus...

A set of these wheels on a Pugsley for regular trails is a no brainer,
    The Pugsley is faster, tracks straight, rides through twisting single track way quicker, and picks up speed quicker than a 4" tyre regular Pugsey wheelset...

Here in the UK there is a differant ideal to Fatbikes to the USA. There is a a big thing about weight, yet still sticking to 4" tyres.
    This includes UK Trail Centres, something i personaly don`t get, why i have a 29er which is way faster and jumps better,

For dragging fat bikes up mountains, i found the rebound at speed on descents the problem, these tyres are the perfect half way house between 4" fat and 2.5" 29er - no bob but more comfort than 29er...

I would say unless your riding sandy trails and the beach, or Peat Moorland conditions why drag 4" tyres around?,

For most conditions the 50mm rim/3" Knard set up is way more fun, and defo the future,
    I am buying a new Pugsley next year and after riding these wheels in singlespeed will be getting a geared rear set up with HOPE hubs for thenew Pugsley to have a great bike with the best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    BUT, heres the KramPug trump card; cause of the 1" higher BB you could fit regular 2.25" 29er mud tyres and still have ok BB height/pedal clearance
    I had GATO GEAX wire bead 2.25" tyres on my Karate Monkey and will fit these for winter. With the clean running 32x18 singlespeed drive chain i will have a great winter trails bike which i can still lower the tyre pressure down to 20 psi with the 50mm rims...

I'm confused. The geo charts show 5 mm difference in BB drop between the Krampus and Pugsley frames, which is about 1/5 inches. With any given wheels and tires you'd install on a Krampus or Pugsley, the BB on the former should be only 5 mm lower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    I'm confused. The geo charts show 5 mm difference in BB drop between the Krampus and Pugsley frames, which is about 1/5 inches. With any given wheels and tires you'd install on a Krampus or Pugsley, the BB on the former should be only 5 mm lower.
    If I follow correctly, think BB height, not drop.

Assuming Larry tires on the pugs = 741 dia. vs 773 for the 29+ = 16mm higher BB add a few more due to the difference in tire pressures run?

At least that is how I read it.

Dinner for wolves
    Its calling to me...fixie Krampug...
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    If I follow correctly, think BB height, not drop.

Assuming Larry tires on the pugs = 741 dia. vs 773 for the 29+ = 16mm higher BB add a few more due to the difference in tire pressures run?

At least that is how I read it.
    When using the same wheels and tires, BB drop difference = BB height difference.

mtbr member
    The ~32mm BB height difference is due to jump from 4" tires to 29+.

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am buying a new Pugsley next year and after riding these wheels in singlespeed will be getting a geared rear set up with HOPE hubs for thenew Pugsley to have a great bike with the best of both worlds
    Why you don't buy a Krampus? What you find better on Pugs than Krampus?

mtbr member
    Wow - 3 Pugs? That's some dedication to a bike!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

After a weeks holidays riding the KramPug here is what i have found...

It is Awesome!

JM Park 009 by coastkid71, on Flickr

The 29+ 3" wheel/tyre set up are exactly inbetween a 4" fat tyre bike (for myself a Pugsley) and a 29er tyre bike (for myself a Karate Monkey) as expected, but you get no bob as you do on trails with 4" fat, and more comfort than a regular 29er 2.5" tyre...

The Knards are great on this UK summers drought conditions.
    As with a Pugsley when i first got one i first ran the tyres too hard and have now aired them down a bit over the last week until i found an ideal pressure - around 18 -20 PSI,

I rode through wet mud passing a potato field irrigator and the tyres clogged and were terrible, but we know tht already with the Knards being a dry tyre (UK spelling) so that was expected,

A set of these wheels on a Pugsley for regular trails is a no brainer,
    The Pugsley is faster, tracks straight, rides through twisting single track way quicker, and picks up speed quicker than a 4" tyre regular Pugsey wheelset...

Here in the UK there is a differant ideal to Fatbikes to the USA. There is a a big thing about weight, yet still sticking to 4" tyres.
    This includes UK Trail Centres, something i personaly don`t get, why i have a 29er which is way faster and jumps better,

For dragging fat bikes up mountains, i found the rebound at speed on descents the problem, these tyres are the perfect half way house between 4" fat and 2.5" 29er - no bob but more comfort than 29er...

I would say unless your riding sandy trails and the beach, or Peat Moorland conditions why drag 4" tyres around?,

For most conditions the 50mm rim/3" Knard set up is way more fun, and defo the future,
    Oh man, this is not what I needed to hear. Cha-ching! Better start saving now.

Thanks for the write up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The ~32mm BB height difference is due to jump from 4" tires to 29+.

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf
    Yes, which means that the BB height of a Pugsley increases 32 mm when switching to RH rims and 29+ Knards. The difference more in the tires than the frames.

But Coastkid71 wrote:
    "cause of the 1" higher BB you could fit regular 2.25" 29er mud tyres and still have ok BB height/pedal clearance"
    "Until we get a 3" Nate you cannot do this to a SURLY Krampus."

I think you can: the BB will be only 5 mm lower than it is on a Pugsley with the same tire/wheel combo, in this case regular 29er wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    Yes, which means that the BB height of a Pugsley increases 32 mm when switching to RH rims and 29+ Knards.
    32 mm is the diameter difference. The BB height is increased 16 mm (0.63"), ie. the radius, when fitting RH rims and 29+ Knards on Pug.

I think you can: the BB will be only 5 mm lower than it is on a Pugsley with the same tire/wheel combo, in this case regular 29er wheels and tires.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Just remeasured both pugs and my estimated Inch higher BB height is 26mm to be precise on the KramPug to stock Pug, both same Pugsley frame models etc...

mtbr member
    Just remeasured both pugs and my estimated Inch higher BB height is 26mm to be precise on the KramPug to stock Pug, both same Pugsley frame models etc...
    He he. Goes to show numbers and spreadsheets online aren't always right then

Surly need to correct their PDF tyre sizes file if the Knards are a whole 2" (52mm) taller than Larrys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wouldn't the height of the bike depend on the air-pressure? Because the Larrys are generally run at lower pressures, wouldn't that translate to a lower BB--even though the tires might be measured larger. It could be they measure the tires at a standard PSI and NOT mounted on a bike (which might mean no compression of the tire).

Just a thought...

mtbr member
    Good point jonlikesbikes, it seems once they are up to riding pressure then leaning the bike up against say a wall they have the same height. But don`t quote me on that!.

Rim width of course effects tyre wall height - and i forgot to mention my Pugsley has 65mm Marges with Larry`s, i think Nates are taller due to the Knobs...

When i said `trump card of the Pug compared to the Krampus` i meant that while 29x 2.25 mud tyres on the KramPug is possible without slamming the BB height, It is obvious that fitting the same tyres to a Krampus will lower the BB than is standard.
    Maybe that will not make an issue with pedal strike if it is indeed quite a high BB as standard.
    If you can notice the differance between say 170mm cranks and 175mm cranks on the same bike then maybe it will be, maybe it wont!

mtbr member

Another KramPug film

Out again the other evening. The bike now has flat pedals and wider 750mm bars. the two tweeks seem to have sharpened it`s teeth a bit

It has become a bit more lively on the single track above the coast, a bit like my KM which has an offset headset that slackens its head angle to the same as a Pugsley, but more roll and comfort,

Only had some wee spins on a Krampus but its close...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ba9eqXvBqUY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason-l View Post
    Surly need to correct their PDF tyre sizes file if the Knards are a whole 2" (52mm) taller than Larrys.
    My Larry on a RD = ~730mm [Surly's chart = 741mm]

My Knard on a RH = ~760mm [Surly's chart = 773mm]

So my difference = ~30mm [no weight on bike]

Based on Surly's chart the difference would be 32mm.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I wonder if the rabbit hole / Knard combo will fit on my 907 fork...hummm.....

mtbr member
    When I was out on my 907 yesterday I was wondering if a 29er+ Knard setup would be better on the dry hard trails.

I had inflated my tyres to about 14psi which meant there was very little squish and it felt much better speed wise, but not as good cornering fast on loose gravel. Which set me to thinking about how maybe the Knards would have better grip than fat tyres inflated hard.

Now that I'm thinking about joining this evil Krampug heresy I started wondering how close to the Krampus a set of 29er+ Knards at riding pressure on a Pug are to fat tyres with higher pressure in them. (The height of a fatbike is can vary by quite a few cms depending on what pressure you use.)

So I propose an experiment for coastkid - measure the BB height with the Knards on, and also with the fat wheels at his normal pressures (with the rider on the bike).
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Off to the pub tonight for a couple of pints with blogger friend Al
    Be an evening of err pints, Lancaster Bomber talk (his late father was a Lancaster`Tail End Charlie `Tail gunner who made it through 1945)

Al is one of the best blog writers i know
    crivens jings and help ma blog: Meeting Jane.

And of course latest fatbike happenings talk...

I will do some measuring up tomorrow affy and post up the findings at the weekend

mtbr member
    Off to the pub tonight for a couple of pints with blogger friend Al
    Be an evening of err pints, Lancaster Bomber talk (his late father was a Lancaster`Tail End Charlie `Tail gunner who made it through 1945)

I will do some measuring up tomorrow affy and post up the findings at the weekend
    Ta. BTW you may be interested in a book written by one of my father's friends "Bomber Stream Broken" (£0.01 s/h on Amazon). A novel based on his experiences as a navigator on Lancasters.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

SURLY KramPug thread...

Just built this up....it's really fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ Good stuff.

The more I think about it, a KramPug might be a better choice than the Krampus for many of the trails I ride, where pedal clearance is precious.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Has anyone tried this on a small Pugs? I have a small 907 and a small Pugs and wonder if they would fit...I would hate to have to buy another bike to ride 29+.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There's no reason it shouldn't work. Wheel and tire areas are the same, the triangles are just different. At worst, maybe you'd have a tiny bit of toe overlap? I'm considering doing it for my girl's xs pugs, but I'd probably put a sus fork up front

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Has anyone tried this on a small Pugs? I have a small 907 and a small Pugs and wonder if they would fit...I would hate to have to buy another bike to ride 29+.
    They fit and ride great. I don't get any tire/shoe overlap. The bike feels much faster than with the fat tires but that might be in my head.

mtbr member
    With regular 29 x 2.25 tyres on the Krampus rims the BB height is only a 1/2" higher, but ideal, this is why i do not need a ridged Karate Monkey 29er now,
    So my KM has just got drop bars for commuting!,

My Pugsley is a 4" fatbike, a 29+, an ECR, and also now a 29er.
    An all in one...kind off!

2nd Feb; 29er &amp; 29+, Messing around in the Garage 019 by coastkid71, on Flickr

2nd Feb; 29er &amp; 29+, Messing around in the Garage 014 by coastkid71, on Flickr

2nd Feb; 29er &amp; 29+, Messing around in the Garage 021 by coastkid71, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Even has a matching hat! ^^^^^ :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quiver Killer! Love it!

mtbr member
    Was just at the LBS discussing lacing up some 29" wheels for my pug. Won't be 29+ as I haven't the money for that, but these wheels will make my pug a more versatile platform. This will also help me eliminate a bike that I've been holding onto because it's my only "normal" mtb. I will no longer need to keep it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Was just at the LBS discussing lacing up some 29" wheels for my pug. Won't be 29+ as I haven't the money for that, but these wheels will make my pug a more versatile platform. This will also help me eliminate a bike that I've been holding onto because it's my only "normal" mtb. I will no longer need to keep it.
    What's their plan to deal with the offset rear so as to get decent spoke tension?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Anybody else wonder why it was called the Krampug and not the Pugpus, or just me?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast