Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    A 5" BFL will fit in on a 65mm wide rim, though 4" on any width rim fits ok, as does 29+ wheels
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the info, BTW I shot you a PM

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I think I have enough miles on my old Mukluk and the Wednesday to prove that the 100mm BB is not a problem in real life.

I've actually grown to prefer 100mm BB width on my bikes. Feels more neutral, natural to my knees and ankles. On the rare days that I ride my one remaining 73mm BB bike, I immediately notice the narrowness and it takes some re-adaptation. Going back and forth between them, 100mm always feels like 'coming home'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I've actually grown to prefer 100mm BB width on my bikes. Feels more neutral, natural to my knees and ankles. On the rare days that I ride my one remaining 73mm BB bike, I immediately notice the narrowness and it takes some re-adaptation. Going back and forth between them, 100mm always feels like 'coming home'.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing today. Been commuting on the Krampug for a few weeks to get some off road time in but rode to work on the Lomg Haul Trucker today. Just felt wierd. Going from 100mm bb and wide handlebars back to drops and 68mm I felt all scrunched up. Legs didn't quite work as well either.

Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Easy to deal with part. Just my $.02 whatevs many seem to like him.

I'd love to know what I did wrong, and how I can make it right.

Please drop a line to: info@lacemine29.com at your convenience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've switched to flat pedals on all my bikes, even the road bikes. I find myself positioning me feet toward the outer edge of the pedals. I've always battled knee pain, but it seems to be in check. I wonder if the narrow cranks and clipless pedals I used for years forced me into a stance too narrow and stressed my knees too much.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I've switched to flat pedals on all my bikes, even the road bikes. I find myself positioning me feet toward the outer edge of the pedals. I've always battled knee pain, but it seems to be in check. I wonder if the narrow cranks and clipless pedals I used for years forced me into a stance too narrow and stressed my knees too much.

Lots o' variables. Sometimes just a cleat position adjustment can make the difference. Hard (impossible, really) to diagnose online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Lots o' variables. Sometimes just a cleat position adjustment can make the difference. Hard (impossible, really) to diagnose online.
    Could be. When I switched from SPD to Speedplay Frogs, that made a huge improvement. I'm happy with flat pedals now, though.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Anyone know if I c a n just relace a krampus rear wheel to fit the pugs, or do you need different spoke lengths for the offset?

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Anyone know if I c a n just relace a krampus rear wheel to fit the pugs, or do you need different spoke lengths for the offset?
    You need to offset the rim by 17.5mm. The Rabbit Hole wheelset has 64 spoke holes so that it can be laced symmetrically, or entirely on one side. In the latter, the wheel is offset.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Yes same spokes will do, i swapped a rabbit hole from symmetrical to offset and back again several times as i played around with different builds. Pug - ECR- Pug - Krampus, and back to a Pug!, I reused the spokes but replaced the spoke nipples

Rednose/Greenback
    New wheels for the pugs. Should be prove more versatile option for urban wanderings.
    SURLY KramPug thread...-2017-06-16-12.11.20.jpg

SURLY KramPug thread...-2017-06-16-15.18.41.jpg
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    KramPug; Commuter bike, shops bike, pub bike, trail bike,
    Some detour off road commuting home...

http://<iframe width="425" height="2...reen></iframe>

mtbr member
    If your fat bike doesn't use an off-set rear wheel and the hub width matches up, should you be able to put the stock Krampus RH/Knards on a fat frame?

Thanks!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I don't think any fatbikes use a symmetrical 135mm hub. That's the whole reason offset or super-wide hubs were made in the first place. With a regular hub like the Krampus has, the chain can't clear a 4-5-inch tire in low gear.

So, the answer is, if you have a 135mm spaced dropout and its symmetrical, yes, a Krampus wheel will fit, but no fatbikes have that so it's irrelevant.

mtbr member
    That makes sense. The guy I bought my bike from had posted this picture of my bike with plus tires on it. I was hoping it might just be a simple swap, but apparently it's more complicated than that.

Thanks sincerely for your reply. Also, I just followed your blog link - what a great resource that is! Strong work!

SURLY KramPug thread...-bully-plus.jpg
    Last edited by Magicscreen; 07-12-2017 at 06:30 PM.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicscreen View Post
    That makes sense. The guy I bought my bike from had posted this picture of my bike with plus tires on it. I was hoping it might just be a simple swap, but apparently it's more complicated than that.

Thanks sincerely for your reply. Also, I just followed your blog link - what a great resource that is! Strong work!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bully plus.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	1146247
    Not simple, but not too complicated either! You can have a rear wheel made. 29+ wheels are super fun and it's a great way to get two bikes out of one.

You can also put a regular fork on a fatbike most of the time to make use of a premade Krampus front wheel. Just make sure the axle-to-crown and rake match up. I think a stock Krampus fork fits a lot of fatbikes well. But, you can always have a 29+ whee made on a fatbike hub in the front, too, if you don't want to buy another fork.

mtbr member
    If I had another wheel built then I would REALLY have no excuse for hanging on to my Krampus! Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, Max. I really appreciate it.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Oh, ok, I'm glad you have a Krampus You can get your 29+ fix. No problem! Enjoy~

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Big Wheel Krampug

I tried something that I haven't seen anyone discuss yet:

Threw on a Karate Monkey fork (+21 mm vs. the stock Pugs offset fork) and a Rabbit Hole laced (non-offset) to a 100mm XT hub (thanks, MikeSee!). Picked up a used Innova Transformer 29x3.0 for $10 and created what I am dubbing the "Big Wheel" Krampug.

I didn't have high hopes for matching the Spray Tan orange fork to the snow white frame, but I actually dig it and think it jives well. The front end feels way more slack (and lighter, though not by much). The 29x3 is probably 1"+ taller than the 26x4 I kept on the back. I still get the traction/large volume benefits of having a full fat rear end, but now enjoy an even larger (and almost as wide) front end.

I've only put ~20 miles on the new setup, but really like it so far. SURLY KramPug thread...-img_0777.jpgSURLY KramPug thread...-img_0779.jpgSURLY KramPug thread...-img_0781.jpgSURLY KramPug thread...-img_0782.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SURLY KramPug thread...-sidebyside.jpg  

SURLY KramPug thread...-htanglesidebyside.jpg  

mtbr member

Good job! Karate-Krampug

Sweeeeeeet spray tan fork! I similarly just made the switcharoo to a Karate-Krampug and really enjoy the slightly slacker front-end (and the speed of 29+ wheels)! I owned a Krampus years ago, and sold it because I just loved my Pugs more... but with the wheel swap (after 6000+ miles and two frames of pedalling 26 fat on my favorite bike) my Pugsley is a whole new animal! I'd strongly recommend it for a summer speedy option if you're waffling out there!SURLY KramPug thread...-_dsc4252.jpg
    Once you go fat, you'll never go back...

Some words and photos from wandering: www.zacharystephenmiller.wordpress.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234