Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VENI VEDI BIKI
    I am new to investigating this 29+ phenom, but want to consolidate my stable and this looks like a way to do it. I already have an enabler fork I could use for the front of my pug. What is cheapest way to go about this? Looks like I would need to get a rabbit-hole rear, velocity 35 front, and 2 knards.....
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    I am new to investigating this 29+ phenom, but want to consolidate my stable and this looks like a way to do it. I already have an enabler fork I could use for the front of my pug. What is cheapest way to go about this? Looks like I would need to get a rabbit-hole rear, velocity 35 front, and 2 knards.....
    Why wouldn't you get 2 rabbit holes?

And why not use the fork you have... unless you want to swap forks when you want to use the fat tires... or rebuild the original wheels.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Why wouldn't you get 2 rabbit holes?

And why not use the fork you have... unless you want to swap forks when you want to use the fat tires... or rebuild the original wheels.
    I have a moonie fork on the front right now, so you are right, that would work....so, essentially it is looking like it would cost somewhere in the realm of $600-$700 to go 29er+
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just hit LBS and they are bringing in a '14 Black Pug for me from other store....sale price is good. Hopefully next week.

I like the Pug and am excited to break it in and then, this summer investigate the KramPug mod.

mtbr member
    @coastkid;
    do you use the monkey nuts (v2) when you ride with 29+ wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snakebite View Post
    @coastkid;
    do you use the monkey nuts (v2) when you ride with 29+ wheels?
    Hi, yes i leave them in, for the front mech i use to have decent clearance.

When the bike was first built it was singlespeed so had the wheel right forward as far as i could with the chain lenght.

You could run it like this if using a 1x10 set up ok,
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Coastkid is the greatest!

I would like to thank him for all of his KramPug posting the last few years.

I really love my KramPug!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch R. View Post
    Coastkid is the greatest!

I would like to thank him for all of his KramPug posting the last few years.

I really love my KramPug!
    Daaang nubbit! I am sorely infected with the idea of making my Pugs a more capable adventure touring rig for when I take it inland, away from the beach, and riding harder trails, gravel roads, and even paved country backroads. I would want a generator front hub, and an IGH on the rear. So I would be looking at another Alfine 8-spd, or else committing to a Rohloff.

I'm not in any hurry to do this, since I'm waiting to see how my heart condition plays out here through the winter.
    (Next Tues, on the 16th, I get to meet with my cardiologist and discuss his analysis of my latest echo scan, maybe find out more about what he thinks in regards to my prognosis and ability to recover, without having to have a valve replacement. If heart surgery is in my near future, I just might want to hold off on the bike expenditures until afterwards).

This will give me more opportunities to ride my Pugs in more types of varied terrain as it is now set up, and also allow me to further test out the Alfine 8 that's on it now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Best of luck with your heart condition!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^^^I do plan to go tubeless, if/when I order up a set of alternate wheels, so I'll be looking at tubeless-friendly rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You may or may not have many options other than Rabbit Holes, but others would know better than me.

Remember that you will need the wheels offset laced for your Pug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Best of luck with your heart condition!
    Thanks. I don't want to curse myself, but I seem to be feeling better, thanks to riding regularly, following my doctor's suggestions, and taking my meds on time.
    (The AMA-pharmaceutical mafia has me on 8 different prescription meds right now! I'm forbidden to partake of any natural herbal remedies, as they might interfere with the prescrip meds. They have me in their clutches! However, I've been slowly regaining a smidgeon of my former strength and endurance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Regular exercise may be worth more than all of those meds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Regular exercise may be worth more than all of those meds.
    Absolutely! But I'm "going with the program," since my insurance is paying for it all!

I'm going to ride my Alfine-8spd Pugs and my other Alfine 8-spd bike as much as possible, and as hard as I can without abusing them (mainly, no shifting under load).
    By summer I should find out if the 8-spd Alfine hub can survive the abuse dished out by an old geezer. I might even have them broken in by then.
    But if no problems arise, then I'll likely build my KramPug wheel set around another Alfine 8 (as opposed to a Rohloff), and on Rabbit Holes. That would be the cheapest and easiest option, since I could get away with using the same Alfine shifter.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Keep those KramPug pics rolling in, folks!

Spud State Rider
    My new favorite bike..........

Fog and Mud Ride @ Hells Gate by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

Asotin creek trail by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

Charlie Creek Ride by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

Charlie Creek Ride by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

A few upgrades

"minimalist rack"........
    CETMA rack - 5-rail by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

RaceFace Turbine Cinch Crank on the Krampug by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

More Cush for my Tush by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks great. I've seen that bike on Flickr.

How are you linking those Turbines?

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Looks great. I've seen that bike on Flickr.

How are you linking those Turbines?
    So far so good. Just a couple of short rides though. Install was easy enough once I had the right BB tool.

mtbr member
    Back out on the KramPug last weekend and after running it with stock 4" Fatbike wheels , back on the Knard RH wheels i forgot how much fun this bike is on trails!
    4th Jan; Sunday cycle 003 by coastkid71, on Flickr

4th Jan; Sunday cycle 008 by coastkid71, on Flickr

4th Jan; Sunday cycle 027 by coastkid71, on Flickr

It manages sandy singletrack too!
    4th Jan; Sunday cycle 032 by coastkid71, on Flickr

More grip at 12psi on ice mud than a regular 29er MTB...
    4th Jan; Sunday cycle 049 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Jones 710 loop bars are a trial and i may swap back to big wide 780 MTB riser bars...
    4th Jan; Sunday cycle 054 by coastkid71, on Flickr

what ever bars this bike is replacing a ridgid KM 29er as just not needed now. In fact i bought another secondhand Pugs frameset, and having another pair of stock Krampus wheels, and a 135mm Surly hub i see some wheel offsetting one evening in the Man-Cave and a 2nd KramPug build soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^^Lookin' good! That goes for both bikes on this page, Doug_ID's and Coastkid's. Thanks for the pics.
    Although I'm perfectly happy with my Pugs set up as a Pugsley for beach riding, with 3.8" Larrys on Marge Lites, I think that it would be fun to morph it into a Krampug.
    I might be diving down that rabbit hole sooner than later! I'll be having the wheels built for me by the same shop (Universal) that built my Pugs' Marge Lite wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    ^^Lookin' good! That goes for both bikes on this page, Doug_ID's and Coastkid's. Thanks for the pics.
    Although I'm perfectly happy with my Pugs set up as a Pugsley for beach riding, with 3.8" Larrys on Marge Lites, I think that it would be fun to morph it into a Krampug.
    I might be diving down that rabbit hole sooner than later! I'll be having the wheels built for me by the same shop (Universal) that built my Pugs' Marge Lite wheels.
    New Pug owner here and am REALLY interested in the conversion for summer riding maybe. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Is there a punch list of needed parts or will my LBS be more than able to handle the wheel build?

Is swapping wheel-sets pretty simple? I know this should be obvious, but I have limited experience working on bikes and my current bikes are Specialized models that are super-easy to pull/replace wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Pick up two Surly Monkey nuts, and place one in each rear drop out per Coastkid's instructions. This gives more tire clearance with the seat tube. Then, just swap wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Oh, your LBS will know what to do for the wheel build. Tell them that it is for a Pug. The rear wheel must be offset laced with the spokes. Now, the front should be laced offset if your fork is offset or symmetrical if the fork is symmetrical.

If the LBS does not know such things, I highly recommend you pick up a wheelset from Mike Curiak.

mtbr member

First Ride

Finally took the plunge and put a set of Rabbit Holes on the Pugsley. Amazing difference, No self steer, no uncontrolled bouncing, but also less traction.
    SURLY KramPug thread...-img_2087.jpg

mtbr member

A second KramPug!

Knocked up a 2nd KramPug a few weeks back, a bike to run regular MTB bars (Jones on the first bike) and also have a full 4" fat wheel option.
    18th Jan; 005 by coastkid71, on Flickr

18th Jan; 016 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Basicly this was a ridgid Karate Monkey with Krampus wheels which i could not fit a 2.5 Minion tyre and still have sufficiant mud clearance, so... when a used Pugsley frameset was offered to buy from good friend Gary Buckham,
    I replaced the Krampus front wheel offset with a Surly 135mm Ultra hub, and offset the rear
    Offsetting Surly Krampus wheels for a Pugsley 013 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Offsetting Surly Krampus wheels for a Pugsley 017 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Adding an On One 100mm square taper BB and vola! a 100mm BB ridgid bike that is with a tyre change a 29er, or with 3" tyres a 29+. amd with a wheel swap a 4" Fatbike...
    Its rolling with 2.5 Minions until a pair of 3" Dirt Wizards arrive then it will be proper 29+
    Last edited by coastkid71; 02-17-2015 at 01:38 AM.

Spud State Rider
    Happy to report the Krampug is the perfect bike for death valley exploration.......what a hoot.

Death Valley Arrival / Westside Road Ride by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID View Post
    Happy to report the Krampug is the perfect bike for death valley exploration.......what a hoot.

Death Valley Arrival / Westside Road Ride by Doug Goodenough, on Flickr
    Be careful down there. Those people have sold all their water to LA. The hello it is, they didn't have any water to begin with.

Great looking riding.

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Love it...I NEED to Kram my Pug this summer...in fact, it'd ride sweet right now on my local park's groomed trails.

Rabbit Hole rims, 3" Knards, Monkey Nuts, discs, casette all on summer wish-list

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^^Same here. Except that I have yet to decide on tires. I'll be ordering up some 29er RH rims on Alfine 8-spd and dyno hubs. I already have the discs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ....oh yeah...hubs

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Don't forget the spokes and brass nipples, unless you plan to use one of those new force-field hubs that still aren't due for a few decades, but will be late to market, anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

SURLY KramPug thread...

Ha! I'll let my LBS tell me what I need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ok, I am beginning to dig in and take a look at cost of a set of Rabbit Hole rims to make my Pug a 29+ for summer. What do you (all) recommend in components? Straight Surly? Second what should I expect to spend at my LBS?

Now that I've posted this, I am back to page 1 to re-read this thread.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    Ok, I am beginning to dig in and take a look at cost of a set of Rabbit Hole rims to make my Pug a 29+ for summer. What do you (all) recommend in components? Straight Surly? Second what should I expect to spend at my LBS?

Cheers
    Kind of depends on how much bling you want on hubs,etc. I did Surly Ultra New Front hub, Shimano 529 Rear, DT Spokes w/BRASS nipples (as opposed to alloy,for durability), and went ahead and sprung for rotors and a cassette for quick change capability.

This was last summer, so I had a choice of Knards, or Knards, for tires. You will have a many more options. Knards aren't a bad all around tire, but I will spring for Dirt Wizards if they ever come available, due to riding conditions around here.

Cost? Well, there doesn't seem to be many smoking deals on 29+ specific components (rims, tires, Surly Front hubs,etc). I shopped for best price for hubs, spokes, etc., but rims and tires seem to be a full price proposition, so I ordered those through my LBS. Gave them some business, and they covered freight.

You will have to ask them about cost to lace the wheels up (I did my own). Be sure that they understand the rear offset (or front and rear if you have an offset fork).

Love mine!
    Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Kevin, I am really luck to have 3 bikes shops near my house and all three are solid. I plan to drop in to each as I have time in the next couple weeks and ask if they can quote me for the build. I have every intention of a casette and rotors. My other bike (Spec Crux) has two wheelsets; and I love just dropping my 40c tires off and putting on my road slicks. SOOOOO convenient.

Cheers,

Tim

mtbr member

Cheers
    For the Pug's offset you'll want Rabbit Hole rims. Sadly RH rims + 29+ tires are expensive no way around that. It will be a pricey wheel set.

I've had good luck with Surly hubs and Hope hubs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Vik...I sort of was planning on Surly hubs, Rabbit Hole Rims (of course), 120 TPI Knards, and whatever LBS suggested for rotors, casette, spokes, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    QBP sells the wheelsets pre-built. Unless you are finding deals on the individual components, your LBS probably ought to just order from them.

Surly Rabbit Hole 135 Front Disc Hub 0 Offset in Tree Fort Bikes Fat Bike Wheels (cat920)
    Surly Rabbit Hole XT Rear Disc Wheel 17.5 Offset in Tree Fort Bikes Fat Bike Wheels (cat920)

I snagged a deal on some used components and it's still costing me a pretty penny to get this setup going for my offset 9zero7!

mtbr member
    Yup. If there is a pre-built option I'd go for that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What's QBP? Is that just a dealer that sells to shops? I like the prebuilt option and TreeFort Bikes is nice for price compare. Good call. Monkey Nutz or Tuggnut for spacing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What's QBP? Is that just a dealer that sells to shops? I like the prebuilt option and TreeFort Bikes is nice for price compare. Good call. Monkey Nutz or Tuggnut for spacing?
    QBP is a bicycle parts distributer that sells to most bicycle shops. They are also the parent company for Surly.
    My understanding is that an LBS can have QBP build a wheel from any compatible combination of hub and rims in the QBP catalog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks! I'll find out

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 99.9% sure that Treefort gets those wheels from QBP just like your LBS would, and price will probably be the same as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ...spoke to my LBS today and the guy threw out a number of ~$750 with tires. That seems to align with TreeFort which would be ~$615 for wheels plus ~$180 for tires. I am saving my pennies now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Question: Monkey Nutz or Tuggnut? I am leaning toward Tuggnut just because I like it.

mtbr member
    I prefer the Pugsley chainstay lenght with the Monkey Nuts installed. i run them in with the 4" Fat wheels too

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks coastkid. Once installed is there any required re-tuning of shifiting or is the change small enough to not make a difference?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Here's what I don't get. Why not put smaller 26'er tires, like Maxxis Mammoths on the Marge Lite rims and run the bike that way? Should be faster and the smaller 26 inch wheels are stronger than the 29'ers. So what's the advantage of the Krampug? Just a higher bottom bracket? Or something else?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Brand new, barely ridden size large Kram-Pug. Dingle speed, RH's, Knards, ghetto, Shimano CX77 brakes. 28 lbs.

image by kullaberg631, on Flickr

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    Here's what I don't get. Why not put smaller 26'er tires, like Maxxis Mammoths on the Marge Lite rims and run the bike that way? Should be faster and the smaller 26 inch wheels are stronger than the 29'ers. So what's the advantage of the Krampug? Just a higher bottom bracket? Or something else?
    It rolls over everything

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    Brand new, barely ridden size large Kram-Pug. Dingle speed, RH's, Knards, ghetto, Shimano CX77 brakes. 28 lbs.

image by kullaberg631, on Flickr
    Nice Pug! Mine is the same color with a 2x10 drivetrain, Jones bars and Nates. Someone will want your bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Someone will want your bike!
    Oops, unintentionally my caption read like a sales pitch. Definitely not looking to off load this bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    LBS is ready to order me a wheelset. Hope to pull the trigger in a couple months. On a separate note, is there any discussion to be had regarding a 27.5"+ option for the Pugsley? I assume no, since it does not seem to have come up here but just wondered if it was out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    That 27.5+ option should be something that you should seriously consider. Although that option was announced about a year ago, it only became available this year. That may be why no one has done it with a Pugsley.

That wheel is just a little larger than the 26er so your bottom bracket won't be raised so much as a 29 inch wheel.

Depending upon your size, it may be easier for you to handle too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I really don't know the pros/cons except it SEEMS like a 27.5 Krampug might have similar geometry as my Large Pugsley does now. With that said I'm 215# and 6' but my handling skills are still a work in progress. Is there even a 27.5 rim that can be set-up offset?

- Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, like Tim mentioned: which rim?

What size do you ride? Large and XL KramPugs have a great balanced look to them, and for taller people maybe the raised BB is less noticeable. My son's size L is a good handling bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Don't know about a rim than can be offset.

The monster 29er+ wheel is not an issue for someone your size (I am 6'2"), but may be an issue if you were 5 ft.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sweet Jan. I have no reason not to pull the trigger on 29" Rabbit Holes but just thought it was worth the question. I love my large Pug (since December) but am thinking I may like versatility of 29+ or 27.5+

- Tim

mtbr member
    LBS is ready to order me a wheelset. Hope to pull the trigger in a couple months. On a separate note, is there any discussion to be had regarding a 27.5"+ option for the Pugsley? I assume no, since it does not seem to have come up here but just wondered if it was out there.
    When I moved from a normal 29er tire [2.4"] which is the approx diameter of a 27.5+ to a 29+ 3" tire I noticed a significant performance benefit with how it rolled through rough terrain of which we have a lot.

I wouldn't have any interest in 27.5+ setup if the frame/fork I am working with can take a 29+ tire.

If your terrain is smooth and/or you have a short inseam I can see some reasons to go with the smaller tire.

Personally I am 100% sold on 29+ on a rigid/hardtail bike like a Pugs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Vik. I'm now sold too.

- Tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    4 SURLYs, KM 29 with 3x9, Moonlander, Pugsley, and the Krampug

Another Pugsley is on pre order for next year . But if i say what it is Eric from SURLY says he will fly over and shoot me...
    HAH!! Good on yah!! I'll bet he couldn't get a gun through security, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I might be busting loose with my order soon. I took the last of my surfboards that I intend to sell (I quit surfing, but I'm keeping one 8' single-fin longboard, just in case...) over to a friend's shop to sell on consignment. When that one sells, it will be the third, and the total take adds up to about the cost of a set of 29+ RH wheels, with a front dyno hub and a rear Alfine 8-spd.
    Right now I'm enjoying my new fast rolling Fat B Nimbles.
    I have to take a break from all the fun today, and go mow my lawn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    When I moved from a normal 29er tire [2.4"] which is the approx diameter of a 27.5+ to a 29+ 3" tire I noticed a significant performance benefit with how it rolled through rough terrain of which we have a lot.

I wouldn't have any interest in 27.5+ setup if the frame/fork I am working with can take a 29+ tire.

If your terrain is smooth and/or you have a short inseam I can see some reasons to go with the smaller tire.

Personally I am 100% sold on 29+ on a rigid/hardtail bike like a Pugs.
    Yeah. What VickB said! Really!

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Kevin..I just need the $$$ to buy them. It looks like out the door I am in for just under $1,000 for wheelsc(wheels are the same as those on Tree Fort), tires, rotors, cassette, rim strips.

mtbr member
    Happy with the recent Maxxis Chronicles fitted and set up Ghetto tubeless (Split tube) after a few failed attempts to get the rim tape/Gorilla tape/ valves to seal.

Mid week 29+ tubeless 002 by Bruce, on Flickr

Mid week 29+ tubeless 024 by Bruce, on Flickr

My main reasons for trying a suitable tubeless set up is thorns, we have loads of em here-Hawthorn and Blackthorn hedgerows along country roads and field boundries.
    Here is a blog post on doing the KramPug wheels along with the 4" fat wheels

coastrider: Going Fatbike and 29+ Ghetto Tubeless ...

Thingamejigger
    Mowgli in the background sayin'..... 'Man you're craazy!'

mtbr member

KramPug 29+ update;a proper pumpkin bike now!

Swapped the frame for the olive green frame set i had- a former snow white frame set and the bikes looking a lot better now in true Pumpkin green and orange

28th June 021 by Bruce, on Flickr

21st June 032 by Bruce, on Flickr

21st June 026 by Bruce, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Putting small 26" tires on the Pugs lowers the BB unacceptably. I had some 2.5" tires on my Pugs and was scrapping my pedals even just cruising around the neighborhood with the family.

Like going to a fatbike or 29er there is an improved roll over of obstacles compared to smaller tires and 29+ will ride a little smoother than a 26er too

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
    Putting small 26" tires on the Pugs lowers the BB unacceptably. I had some 2.5" tires on my Pugs and was scrapping my pedals even just cruising around the neighborhood with the family.

Like going to a fatbike or 29er there is an improved roll over of obstacles compared to smaller tires and 29+ will ride a little smoother than a 26er too
    I don't know what kind of Pug you're rolling on, but I just put 2.7" Kenda Nevgals on and went up one of my usual trails. I'm not hitting my pedals, the BB height looks to be about that of a LHT. Here's a picture:SURLY KramPug thread...-baby-fat.jpg

No pedal strikes either.

mtbr member
    I'm not hitting my pedals, the BB height looks to be about that of a LHT.
    I can't pedal and corner on the bikepath with my LHT running MTB flats. So that's not the gold standard for pedal clearance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'd like to see more pics of the profile of those narrower 26er tires on the fatty rims. They look like they are flattening out pretty well, handling isn't goofy?

I ended up with a set of "Krampug" wheels for my offset 9zero7. Put a pair of Super Motos on the Rabbit Holes and the thing has been a blast around town. The wheels came with a set of Knards as well, they are definitely faster on the single track unless you hit a sand trap, in which case I am immediately wishing I had my Nates+Darryl combo.

I knew this would probably happen but I found a deal on another offset 9zero7 and fork and so now it looks like I'm building up another one. Should be fun, 29+ is pricey but a hoot!

mtbr member
    29+ a bit lighter too for sign hanging pics

3rd June 001 by Bruce, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I can't pedal and corner on the bikepath with my LHT running MTB flats. So that's not the gold standard for pedal clearance.
    Once again, vikb tells it like it is.

cheers
    kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    29+ a bit lighter too for sign hanging pics

3rd June 001 by Bruce, on Flickr
    And, also once again, Coastkid71 pushes the envelope on exactly what can be don with a Krampug! The Dude Abides.

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Swapped the frame for the olive green frame set i had- a former snow white frame set and the bikes looking a lot better now in true Pumpkin green and orange

I also decided to go 29+ on my 2014 pugsley and thinking of building a wheelset. How is the clearance in the rear with the maxxis chronicle?

Also welcome....any tips how to explain to my wife why I need a 29+ wheelset?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

KramPug

Quote Originally Posted by patrickevers View Post
    Also welcome....any tips how to explain to my wife why I need a 29+ wheelset?
    Tell her that it is cheaper than a mistress or a sports car.

mtbr member
    Hi, loads of clearance with 3" tyres on the KramPug concept,

Not sure how to get them past your wife, deft go for the same colour options!

mtbr member
    Don't have a pugs, so I made a moonpus today

SURLY KramPug thread...-p1020879.jpg
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Looks great Motorman!

I was given a third pair of Rabbit Hole rims by good friend Gary B-kindest guy in the world
    And i wondered about lacing the rear offset enough to make a pair of 29+ wheels for my Moonie. But with 2 Surly Ultra hubs in the man cave i laced a pair of offset singlespeed wheels for my old Pugsley. with it running an Alfine it takes only 5 minutes to remove the trigger shifter and cable and swap the wheels to run it as a kramPug,

A 2nd KramPug in SS mode with reversable wheels and 2 gear options, ideal for the local woods. It is running 2.5 Minions this now but will eventully fit Chronicles,
    16th Aug; Sunday Singlespeed cycle 007 by Bruce, on Flickr

I am totally sold on 29+ now for most of my offroad cycling above the high tide line,
    I sold my Karate Monkey frameset and built an ECR as a hardtail MTB/bike packing/experiment bike with drop bar option that can take 29+,
    So these bikes have took 6 years to morph with a lot of other frames along the way (3 Karate Monkeys, On One Inbred, 456),

I know i am lucky as these rims are expensive, I was given a pair of wheels by Tyler from Surly as a thank you 3 years ago after Eric and Tyler came to FORTH FAT,
    Then i was lucky to buy a used pair of Krampus wheels for £230,
    Then Freind Gary B gave me these last pair of rims.
    My bikes all low spec/used running kit 160 BB7s, Deore LX and most parts are used eBay bargins, like the C17 saddles at half RRP. But finally i have two Pugs with two wheel sets each, and a regular BB 29+ bike in the ECR

15th Augustl Saturday 29+ cycle with Sanny 002 by Bruce, on Flickr

Pumpkin Pug is still my go to favourite bike, I rode it along with Sanny last weekend with his ICT on 29+ wheels, he too is loving the big wheels!
    15th Augustl Saturday 29+ cycle with Sanny 036 by Bruce, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ah, yes...just what I needed! More gasoline tossed on the fire...

I busted out of my conundrum by deciding that removing grips & levers, swapping shifters/cables to swap wheels over to 29+ won't be that big of a deal.
    I almost bought a nib SG-S501 IGH (same as on my Pugs) for the Rabbit Hole wheels that I am about to order, so that I could do the swap-over without having to go thru the hassle of changing shifters, but I'm going with the new SG-S7000.
    I have a torque wrench and a big bag of zip-ties, so what the heck!

mtbr member
    Post up what spoke lenght is needed for an Alfine IGH on a Rabbit Hole when you do the build. Not came across that build yet and be good to post it up here for interested folks

Thingamejigger
    Post up what spoke length is needed for an Alfine IGH on a Rabbit Hole when you do the build. Not came across that build yet and be good to post it up here for interested folks
    293mm Bruce!

mtbr member
    Since the RH is a singlewalled rim, I tried to be conservative and go for 292mm on mine with 3X lacing. Just making sure no excess spoke sticking out inside the nipple.
    It turned out 293mm is just right.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Since the RH is a singlewalled rim, I tried to be conservative and go for 292mm on mine with 3X lacing. Just making sure no excess spoke sticking out inside the nipple.
    It turned out 293mm is just right.
    293mm, Ace, thanks guys!
    I may have a spare Alfine hub in the future, so can change from an SS to an IGH RH wheel to suit the IGH Fat wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    One more question...Once I get the RH wheel set installed with Monkey Nutz or a Tugnut, can I just leave it in when I swap back to my Marge Lites for winter?

mtbr member
    I leave Monkey nuts in my Pugsley, i don`t notice any change to handling with the slightly longer chainstay with them in,

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I leave Monkey nuts in my Pugsley, i don`t notice any change to handling with the slightly longer chainstay with them in,
    Thanks....I was ready to pull the trigger but of course Wednesday has me thinking. I am working on selling my old hybrid/townie and think I am going to order the 2nd wheel set. Thanks for all the great info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Has anyone put their KramPug on a diet? I saw a sweet dingle speed above at 28 lbs, but how about 1x9 or 1x10 with carbon fork, handlebars, etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ha! A fishing buddy of mine (retired pilot) bought a Porcshe "for his wife" so that he could "drive her around in it on weekends." The rest of the time it sits covered up in his garage. I don't know what model it is...but its black.

Tell her that it is cheaper than a mistress or a sports car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I saw a FB post of a guy rebuilding a 60's Camero or Firebird. I thought to myself that my bike addiction is peanuts compared to that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just finished ordering my set of Krampug wheels from Universal. The rear with the new Alfine SG-S7000 8-spd IGH (black), front with the Surly Ultra New (black, of course), black Rabbit Holes with black spokes and black brass nipples, and red rims strips.
    I ordered tubes, even though I sprung for the Vittoria Bombolonis. At least if/when I want to go tubeless, these tires sound like the ticket for a foolproof setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The only bummer was that Universal was out of the "Small Parts Kit" for the new Alfine SG-S7000 hub. "For want of a nail, yadda yadda, the horse just stood there, doin' nothin'."

I'm sittin' in the "will notify when it gets re-stocked" limbo.

Anyone out there with this kit that can ship it tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Ha! A fishing buddy of mine (retired pilot) bought a Porcshe "for his wife" so that he could "drive her around in it on weekends." The rest of the time it sits covered up in his garage. I don't know what model it is...but its black.
    Instead of getting a Porsche for the weekend, I ordered a rabbit hole wheelset for my pugsley. Front hub surly and rear shimano xt. Picking them up tomorrow. Can't wait to try them.

Only a bit undecided which tires to run. Knard vs. Maxxis Chronicle?

mtbr member
    What sort of riding do you do? The aggressive you want to get and/or the more wet/muddy the terrain is the less you'll love Knards. OTOH for rolling along fast without getting too rowdy they are a nice tire.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My order might even ship before the weekend! Universal customer service got back to me this morning and said that the Small Parts Kit for horizontal dropouts (for my A-8 hub) is already on order and should be in within a week or so.

Universal has the Bombolonis in stock, and I ordered a pair.

Instead of getting a Porsche for the weekend, I ordered a rabbit hole wheelset for my pugsley. Front hub surly and rear shimano xt. Picking them up tomorrow. Can't wait to try them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    One item left for me to resolve is selecting the rear cog. I am going to start with a 19t, since my chainring is only a 26t. That seems low enough. I don't want to steal too much oomph from the high end.
    I'm leaving my 20t cog on my Marge Lite R wheel for now, which is as low as I'd ever want to go, with an Alfine 8-spd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What sort of riding do you do? The aggressive you want to get and/or the more wet/muddy the terrain is the less you'll love Knards. OTOH for rolling along fast without getting too rowdy they are a nice tire.
    I live in the Netherlands, an allround, do it all tire would be the best option. Not too aggresive treads and not too far apart.
    I ride the most on hardpacked terrain, roots, sometimes wet/muddy, but then I'll switch to 4'' Nates.

How does the knard or chronicle perform on pavement?

mtbr member
    I live in the Netherlands, an allround, do it all tire would be the best option. Not too aggresive treads and not too far apart.
    I ride the most on hardpacked terrain, roots, sometimes wet/muddy, but then I'll switch to 4'' Nates.

How does the knard or chronicle perform on pavement?
    From the tires I've tried I'd suggest the Bontrager Chupacabras. Good balance between DW and Knards.

I've never tried the Chronicles, but I have done long paved days on tour on Knards. No problem. I didn't even change tire pressure from dirt. They roll great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I can concur on the Chupacabras, as I've been on them for the season. They're lighter and perform better than Knards I had previously.

Bombolini looks interesting. Pretty light and I've had great experience with Vittoria tires. Tread pattern looks similar to Chupa's. I'd like to try those out as well.

mtbr member
    Got 3 pairs of Chronicles now on the KramPug, ECR, and a pair for the Krampus build now starting, I like them, i sold my 2 pairs of Knards on eBay to help pay for them, 2 pairs are 60 tpi, one pair 120 tpi, They roll nearly as good as Knards, have a tougher sidewall that may benefit some folks, and air up on the bead ghetto tubeless perfectly on Rabbit Holes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast