Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Surly ICT thread

Picked it up last week. Road it by my house for a couple of miles, need to adjust the derailleur a little bit and figure out why the headset feels loose. Thinking about going to a bluto. Anyone have one on theirs yet? What size? Thinking about getting the 80mm in white and change the lines to white....

Surly ICT thread-ict.jpg
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    That's one good looking bike! Saw a guy on the local trail tearing it up on one of those w/ a Bluto.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

Surly ICT thread

Looks awesome. What size is it?

mtbr member
    White Bluto's an OE product, might be hard to find one. I agree though it would look sweet. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Mine is a large. Passed quite a few people out riding today. Verdict- ladies love it, guys hate it. Lots of dirty looks passing full suspension carbon Specialized's
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDKV View Post
    White Bluto's an OE product, might be hard to find one. I agree though it would look sweet. Congrats.
    Yeah, I think white would be very nice. Keep an eye out on Ebay

mtbr member
    The one I saw with a bluto was white. It did look good.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Surly ICT thread

It's a nice bike. I love that color, and those custom drawn steel tubes.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I have a question about the Bluto. If the A2C on the stock Surly fork is 483mm. The bluto is as follows:

80mm- 491mm
    100mm-511mm
    120mm- 531mm

So with sag which will most closely keep the stock geometry? I'm not concerned with making the HA slightly steeper (within 1° or so) but I'd like to not really go any more slack.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Did you change the rims ?
    they look like the golden Clown Shoes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scr74 View Post
    Did you change the rims ?
    they look like the golden Clown Shoes
    They are

It was built from a frame set.

Gold Clown shoes with Bud/Lou
    RF Next SL cranks 26t
    Sram X01 1x11 with grip shift
    Thompson stem with gold face
    Loaded gold spacers
    Race face bars
    XT brakes with Magura 180mm rotors

Not sure yet if I Want to add another color. Thinking either white cable housings and white bluto, or black bluto with gold cables and possibly a gold seat post. Thinking about throwing on a gold chain as well.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Thanks guys, I have a question about the Bluto. If the A2C on the stock Surly fork is 483mm. The bluto is as follows:

80mm- 491mm
    100mm-511mm
    120mm- 531mm

So with sag which will most closely keep the stock geometry? I'm not concerned with making the HA slightly steeper (within 1° or so) but I'd like to not really go any more slack.
    This is rudimentary at best but factoring in a 20% sag and using your #'s then:
    80mm = 475mm
    100mm = 491mm
    120mm = 507mm
    I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will chime in but it looks like your wanting the 80 but should be fine with the 100 allowing for a bit more sag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly ICT thread

That SS version the Surly boys have been flaunting in their blog sports an 80

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

80mm- 491mm
    100mm-511mm
    120mm- 531mm

The rigid ICT a-c is listed as 487mm. So like most Bluto compatible frames right now, it looks to be "designed" for the 100mm Bluto. If you factor in 25% sag, the 100mm is at 486mm.

I had originally wanted a 120mm Bluto for my ICT but ended up going with a 100mm. Riding the rigid bike around, I just really liked the geometry and so I didn't want to mess with it too much.

Suspension is another personal preference thing. From what you said, if you don't want a slacker head angle, you're pretty much looking at the 80 or 100mm Bluto. If you want to go a bit steeper on head angle, then the 80mm is the best bet. The 100mm will keep the geometry about the same depending on how much air you like to run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkzhao View Post
    The rigid ICT a-c is listed as 487mm. So like most Bluto compatible frames right now, it looks to be "designed" for the 100mm Bluto. If you factor in 25% sag, the 100mm is at 486mm.

I had originally wanted a 120mm Bluto for my ICT but ended up going with a 100mm. Riding the rigid bike around, I just really liked the geometry and so I didn't want to mess with it too much.

Suspension is another personal preference thing. From what you said, if you don't want a slacker head angle, you're pretty much looking at the 80 or 100mm Bluto. If you want to go a bit steeper on head angle, then the 80mm is the best bet. The 100mm will keep the geometry about the same depending on how much air you like to run.
    Perfect thank you.

Got my first real ride in today and set 3 new overall PR's on Strava lol. The joys of a new bike and chasing/passing the XC types I just wish I didn't have an $8,000 carbon FS bike sitting in my garage that I'm slower on lol... Got top 15 in one segment.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Perfect thank you.

Got my first real ride in today and set 3 new overall PR's on Strava lol. The joys of a new bike and chasing/passing the XC types I just wish I didn't have an $8,000 carbon FS bike sitting in my garage that I'm slower on lol... Got top 15 in one segment.
    So the ICT is a real Strava-(PR)hunting bike? Hahaha! cool! (and in the meanwhile 'Racing Sucks' )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snakebite View Post
    So the ICT is a real Strava-(PR)hunting bike? Hahaha! cool! (and in the meanwhile 'Racing Sucks' )
    I set a ton of PRs on mine yesterday without even trying. It was also one of the longest rides I've ever done. I bet if I was trying for speed I'd blow my previous times out of the water. And this is coming from a XC 29er that should by all accounts be faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    I set a ton of PRs on mine yesterday without even trying. It was also one of the longest rides I've ever done. I bet if I was trying for speed I'd blow my previous times out of the water. And this is coming from a XC 29er that should by all accounts be faster.
    Hahah yep, you can see the other bikes I have in my signature. My arc is slightly over 20lbs. The way I had my ICT setup yesterday it was a good 18lbs heavier and I beat the climb that I've probably ridden 100 times by a solid 5 minutes.

There's something to be said about chasing down carbon hard tails on a steel fat bike though. It makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy hahahaha
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Krampus DNA = go fasterer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    On descents on loose gravely stuff or dirt, the ICT traction and slacker geo gives me more confidence to go faster than my XC 29er. Putting the Bluto on makes the rocky descents faster too.

On climbs, it's not even close. My 29er wins out by far. Being 15+lb lighter is still a big deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    how is the real world sizing of the ICT? I am roughly 510-11 and from the numbers torn between a med and large. I pedaled around a med but felt a hair small, but its got a pretty long TT for a med.

mtbr member
    If I were you I'd get a large and swap out the stem for a slightly shorter one.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Hahah yep, you can see the other bikes I have in my signature. My arc is slightly over 20lbs. The way I had my ICT setup yesterday it was a good 18lbs heavier and I beat the climb that I've probably ridden 100 times by a solid 5 minutes.

There's something to be said about chasing down carbon hard tails on a steel fat bike though. It makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy hahahaha

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks, that's what i was thinking as well. The large comes with an 80mm stem. Maybe swaping for like an 60mm i would feel good on the large

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 1/2", 33" inseam. I have a large with a 90mm stem. I'm swapping to a 70mm as soon as I get the funds to match the rest of my bikes. To be honest though it doesn't feel bad with a 90mm. Gets your weight forward a little bit for the climbs.

I would try to ride both. I normally like a smaller feeling bike... Maybe try a large with a 50/60mm stem, and a medium with a 90mm. It also depends on the area you live and how much climbing there is. Here in the front range everything is at least 1000' climb so I like being able to keep the front wheel down.

I like having a smaller bike in the snow as well.
    Front Range, Colorado

beater
    My buddy just built one up for a shop demo.

More photos here: clicky

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    man that is great, the photo of the guy riding it is a great pic !!!

beater

Surly ICT thread

Yeah, that's him. Owns the shop, puts together some sick custom builds, and is one of the real pillars of our cycling community.

I haven't gotten a chance to take the ICT out yet, but hopefully I will before long. Looks like a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    I would go with a 100mm Bluto. As far as I can tell there is one part that is different between the sizes and it costs about $40. And you can get 90mm and 110mm.

mtbr member
    100mm it is. I'm loving the dropper post on that demo bike too. As soon as I finish my wife's 907 I'm going to change some more things on mine- 100mm bluto for sure. Swapping out the 90mm stem to a 70mm, and some wider carbon bars. I'd like to make this thing a little more comfortable for some endurance 30+ mile rides. Just put a syntace hi flex carbon seat post to see if that takes a little edge off.

I'd also like to build a 29+ wheel set but I have all winter for that.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    how is the real world sizing of the ICT? I am roughly 510-11 and from the numbers torn between a med and large. I pedaled around a med but felt a hair small, but its got a pretty long TT for a med.
    I'm 5'11" and got the large. Perfect fit. I felt the same as you on a medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ^^^^Ditto.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My shop had a guy buy a blue ICT and put a 100mm Bluto on it. I set him up tubeless the other day and today when I went in the shop, there was this big discussion on returning the Bluto.

Why?

When he would pump the tires up over 12psi, the Bud would rub enough on the crown that it would stop the wheel. Didn't fit. The guys at the shop called RockShox and they said this fork wasn't designed for the Bud/Clownshoe setup. After back and forth with QBP, they finally agreed to refund him.

Sorry, but I did not see it in person, but I obviously trust my shop was telling the truth.

Sounds like kind of a big deal! Anyone having issues?

banned
    Sep 2008
    the stock rigid fork looks better anyway.

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    the stock rigid fork looks better anyway.

rog
    I agree, IF i were to go hardtail fatbike, I'd go with 80mm rims max anyways.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The Bud on 80s is close enough for the new tire nubbies to hit the crown. But it would seem to me that a wider rim would actually decrease the circumference, no?

banned
    Sep 2008
    decrease height, increase width.

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    decrease height, increase width.

rog

You sure?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

mtbr member
    I've had my front tire between 8-10 psi, tubeless, with the bluto and have encountered no issues. That includes a lot of riding on bumpy technical trails, and I weigh ~225 with gear.

mtbr member
    I've had my front tire between 8-10 psi, tubeless, with the bluto and have encountered no issues. That includes a lot of riding on bumpy technical trails, and I weigh ~225 with gear.
    what front tire/rim? Photos/Video?
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    what front tire/rim? Photos/Video?
    Bud with a Clownshoe.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    quite

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

quite

rog
    Serious question: have you measured the height of the same bud on two different width rims? Did you click my link?

Lots of people assume the general rule that wider rims = shorter tire. It's often not true. Narrower rims pull the tire in more, leaving less for height. Rounder, yes. Taller, no.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you look at the surly tire geometry chart, (http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf)
    you will find that fat tire diameters don't change with changes in rim width. (65mm/80mm/100mm).

The 29+ and 26+ tires do get taller as rim width increases from 29mm to 50mm.

Is the data 100% accurate? I don't know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brebla View Post
    If you look at the surly tire geometry chart, (http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf)
    you will find that fat tire diameters don't change with changes in rim width. (65mm/80mm/100mm).

The 29+ and 26+ tires do get taller as rim width increases from 29mm to 50mm.

Is the data 100% accurate? I don't know.
    Actual data. Nice.

banned
    Sep 2008
    my 3.8 on 65 is taller than on 80. end of story.

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This thread is about a bud on a 100.

banned
    Sep 2008
    same difference. a bud on 80 would be taller.

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

same difference. a bud on 80 would be taller.

rog
    Did you not see brebla's post to Surley's measurements that say you're wrong?

And my link that with more data confirming your generalization is false?

Wider rim does not always producer a smaller diameter tire. Lots of evidence of this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    My buddy just built one up for a shop demo.

Man....that is a pretty sweet build! Very original. Me likey.

banned
    Sep 2008
    not saying smaller, just taller. surly is wrong. bunch a wake n bakers over there.

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

not saying smaller, just taller.
    Umm, what?

You know what... never mind. I'm good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    This thread is about a bud on a 100.
    Thread derailed really.

This issue is way over there.

ICT/Bluto Compatibility?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd like a bashring for my ICT.
    the 94bcd OD cranks have the 5th chainring bolt in the back of the crank arm preventing all of the bashrings I've found from fitting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How are you all liking your ICT's? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one next week so just looking for some feedback...What did you all pay?
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 6'1 would L or XL be best? they don't have any in the shop. 34 inseam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    I'm 6'1 would L or XL be best? they don't have any in the shop. 34 inseam
    I am just guessing obviously, but I would think Large. I am 6'4" and ride an XL, but I ride with a guy who is 6'0" and my Pugs is definitely too big for him.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

banned
    Sep 2008
    Large

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks guys! I'm going to check out ICT next Thursday and really looking forward to it. It's a size large so I will know if it's too small. Can't wait

mtbr member
    ^nice..look forward to some pics. I think it will fit great...want to see more pics if this bike with some dirt
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ^ I will post for sure!! I live in desert area of So Cal and it should excel on the trails.

mtbr member
    More pics please !!!!!!!

Still waiting for my ICT here in germany.
    I hope I will get it this month.

mtbr member
    Here are a few from the last week or so. Can you tell I like that big back shoe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_1050-1024x767-.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1053-768x1024-.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1036-1024x724-.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1029-1024x768-2-.jpg  

Stephen
    Nice! I've just ordered a Straggler and am looking at adding an ICT to the order. I ride a Giant Trance 27.5 0 at the moment and wonder if the lack of suspension will be too much pain to handle?? I'm 55 and although pretty fit do have some reservations about my ability to absorb some of the impact from drops, steps etc. the Bluto fork would help I guess?? Any comments/ helpful advice?

mtbr member
    Full rigid is a different kind of riding. Lots of body English involved. The Bluto will definitely help some. The large tires are not the suspension one would imagine.
    I like it though. Takes me back to when I raced my Can-O-Ale "Beast of the East" with Pepperoni Fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Himself View Post
    Nice! I've just ordered a Straggler and am looking at adding an ICT to the order. I ride a Giant Trance 27.5 0 at the moment and wonder if the lack of suspension will be too much pain to handle?? I'm 55 and although pretty fit do have some reservations about my ability to absorb some of the impact from drops, steps etc. the Bluto fork would help I guess?? Any comments/ helpful advice?
    A rigid fat bike still mostly feels like a rigid bike. The tires provide some dampening but it's not the same as suspension.

Still, it comes down to the type of terrain that you want to ride. On smooth flowing dirt, you really don't need suspension. When you're bombing down more technical rocky terrain, having some more squish up front can really save you wrists and joints.

I don't own one but I've ridden a friend's Trance 27.5 quite a few times. I would say with a Bluto and the right tire pressures, I'm comfortable taking the ICT on any trail that I would feel comfortable on the Trance. Without a Bluto, the rockier stuff definitely puts more stress on my arms and wrists.

Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Shaker View Post
    Full rigid is a different kind of riding. Lots of body English involved. The Bluto will definitely help some. The large tires are not the suspension one would imagine.
    I like it though. Takes me back to when I raced my Can-O-Ale "Beast of the East" with Pepperoni Fork.
    Memories! I think I was better in my mind than reality. I had a San Andreas back in the day. Full sus but not as we know it!!

Quote Originally Posted by rkzhao View Post
    A rigid fat bike still mostly feels like a rigid bike. The tires provide some dampening but it's not the same as suspension.

Still, it comes down to the type of terrain that you want to ride. On smooth flowing dirt, you really don't need suspension. When you're bombing down more technical rocky terrain, having some more squish up front can really save you wrists and joints.

I don't own one but I've ridden a friend's Trance 27.5 quite a few times. I would say with a Bluto and the right tire pressures, I'm comfortable taking the ICT on any trail that I would feel comfortable on the Trance. Without a Bluto, the rockier stuff definitely puts more stress on my arms and wrists.
    Therein lies the problem. I agree and it seems like I may have to buy a frame and wheels and try to source the Bluto and then build the bike up which will end up being very expensive here in NZ.
    I don't ride lots of highly technical stuff any more but I still want the option but don't want to keep the Trance just for the occasional ride. Hmmmmm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here are a few from the last week or so. Can you tell I like that big back shoe?
    Beautiful

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Got some friends that bought Pugs and Pugs ops and havent touched their 29er HT's! Really love my 29er so I will try to ride her too so she's not lonely

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Therein lies the problem. I agree and it seems like I may have to buy a frame and wheels and try to source the Bluto and then build the bike up which will end up being very expensive here in NZ.
    I don't ride lots of highly technical stuff any more but I still want the option but don't want to keep the Trance just for the occasional ride. Hmmmmm.
    There are other bikes around the same price range that are speced with a Bluto like the Rocky Mountain Blizzard.

With the ICT, there's nothing that says you can't just get the complete bike and add a Bluto later if you want. If you find that riding the bike around rigid is fine, then you wouldn't have to spend the extra money. I still plan on swapping my rigid fork back on for the snow just for the simplicity.

Also, what's wrong with keeping the Trance for the occasional ride? You can never have too many bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

You don't need suspension to ride a fatbike through ugly stuff. The rigid fat is great at rock crawling, etc.

It's if you want both ugly and *fast* that the bluto starts to becomes key. I you have mad skills you might be fine even then, but for most of us this is where the bluto is the game changer.

I do kinda miss the rigid feel so I think I'm putting the stock fork back on my fatboy for winter. The speeds will be down once it snows so why not enjoy some quality time with the stiffy.

Stephen
    Interesting thoughts. We don't have snow here, mainly forest roads(rough) and roots slippery trails although I travel down to Auckland a bit to ride in a sandy forest. I kind of ride the road for fitness, gravel because it's relaxing and trails because it's fun. I completely agree with the never too many bikes theory. Its N +1 for the perfect amount of bikes, with N being the number of bikes currently owned. Thanks for the opinions/thoughts, the more the merrier.

mtbr member
    So I managed to break a spoke trying to unseat my tire last night... anyone know what length and size spokes are on the rear wheel (Clownshoe and 190mm hub)?

mtbr member

Interesting thoughts. We don't have snow here, mainly forest roads(rough) and roots slippery trails although I travel down to Auckland a bit to ride in a sandy forest. I kind of ride the road for fitness, gravel because it's relaxing and trails because it's fun. I completely agree with the never too many bikes theory. Its N +1 for the perfect amount of bikes, with N being the number of bikes currently owned. Thanks for the opinions/thoughts, the more the merrier.
    I'm in Auckland and my ICT works well in the sandy forest. Just ordered a bluetoe to take the edge off as I do most of my riding in a slippery rooty forest (riverhead). I've got a lefty on my 9 zero 7 fatbike, so I miss the squish.

Brett

sent from my back yard

Stephen
    [QUOTE=mr pinga;11548661]I'm in Auckland and my ICT works well in the sandy forest. Just ordered a bluetoe to take the edge off as I do most of my riding in a slippery rooty forest (riverhead). I've got a lefty on my 9 zero 7 fatbike, so I miss the squish.
    [QUOTE]

Hi Brett, is it the ICT or the ICT ops? I've just found the Salsa Bucksaw and am looking into that too. I love my Trance but have the urge to Fatbike so.........it could tick all the boxes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr pinga View Post
    Just ordered a bluetoe
    Brett

sent from my back yard
    Hehe, had to think about that one for a second.

mtbr member

Hi Brett, is it the ICT or the ICT ops? I've just found the Salsa Bucksaw and am looking into that too. I love my Trance but have the urge to Fatbike so.........it could tick all the boxes!
    Blue ICT, only mods I've done is carbon bars and a thud buster seatpost. Just received some mammoth tyres to try out in the wet clay.

Bucksaw looks good. One of our gang members has just ordered one, so should get a ride soon

sent from my back yard

Stephen
    Nice. Let me know what you/he think of it. How did he order it?? From overseas or a local place? Ta.

mtbr member

Nice. Let me know what you/he think of it. How did he order it?? From overseas or a local place? Ta.
    Private import, just like the other 3 ICT in our gang, don't think there's a salsa or surly dealer in NZ

sent from my back yard

Stephen
    I've got a small interest in a bike shop up here in Kerikeri. Tim stocks Surly, or at least gets them in to order. Salsa..I don't know and they haven't replied yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Funny is two guys in my local area have the ICT now...guess i won't be the first haha! everyone keeps telling me size L for my height. Will know for sure on Thursday when i test one out. So damn excited

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mr pinga View Post
    Private import, just like the other 3 ICT in our gang, don't think there's a salsa or surly dealer in NZ

sent from my back yard
    Cycletech distributes Surly and is starting to distribute Salsa. There are stockists all over the country.

Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by UlrichNQ View Post
    Cycletech distributes Surly and is starting to distribute Salsa. There are stockists all over the country.
    True that man. We just ordered the Surly Straggler for me today and put a Salsa Bucksaw on order with them.....so excited now!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys.

sent from my back yard

mtbr member

Surly ICT thread

Bud with a Clownshoe.

What does your ICT with Bluto weigh?
    I'm thinking of upgrading my Moonlander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Ok, I'm running a Duct Tape / Gorilla Tape tubeless setup now. Its holding air, at least so far. We'll see how it does in the morning.

With the XXL frame, stock components, plus a Bluto and a Reverb Dropper Post, my scale is saying 38.0 pounds. I would guess without the Reverb and with a smaller frame you'd be around 36 pounds. With the frame bags filled with snacks, water, tools, a spare tube, a first aide kit, etc etc, the whole setup is around 55 pounds. But it beats wearing a backpack!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've got the XXL as well. No idea what it weighs, but she sure isn't a lightweight. Not that I care, neither am I!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ok, I'm running a Duct Tape / Gorilla Tape tubeless setup now. Its holding air, at least so far. We'll see how it does in the morning.

With the XXL frame, stock components, plus a Bluto and a Reverb Dropper Post, my scale is saying 38.0 pounds. I would guess without the Reverb and with a smaller frame you'd be around 36 pounds. With the frame bags filled with snacks, water, tools, a spare tube, a first aide kit, etc etc, the whole setup is around 55 pounds. But it beats wearing a backpack!
    Yeah i'm going to try this set up when I pick mine up next week...pinch flats suck

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I do like the orange setup on the ICT! I'm going to go red on mine ...

mtbr member
    So, I'm 6'-2" and a skosh, but I have super long gorilla arms. 6'-5" fingertip to fingertip.

My RIP9 and EMD9 are both XL, which have the same top tube length as an XL ICT. Those bikes are comfortable.

Any reason that a fat bike would lead me to size down to a Large?

mtbr member
    The only thing different for me between a 29er and a fat bike for trail use is I like to run a little wider handlebar on the fat bike, which leads to a shorter stem. So I would get the same effective top tube length on a fat bike as a 29er. Some people talk about for snow use being more worried about standover, but it seems to me that people also say that in deep snow it's hopeless anyway. I don't know anything about riding in the snow myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Really nice looking bike!

Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot but I can't seem to find any pricing on Surly's site so I have no idea where to start in budgeting for one of these. Love the look of your build but what could one expect to pay for something similar? I don't need top of the line components, may even use as a SS for awhile, but I love the wheels and frame on your build. Mind shooting me a PM with a general idea on price? Plan on budgeting around $1500. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    unfortunately you better add another grand + to your budget

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    msrp for the standard ICT is $2700
    msrp for the ICT Ops is $2400

mtbr member
    I'm not sure where you are but, you can check the Surly Dealers in your area on their site for pricing. You may get lucky and find a sale this week. My ride is a full build from them with a different seatpost and stem that I prefer. If you are building from the frame up, your budget may be a little low I would think. I guess it can be done if you have some of the parts already. Those wheels and tires new are a good chunk of your budget.
    I wanted to build from the frame up, but I also wanted to ride this Fall so I got the whole shebang.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow, I see no dealers in my area. Quick question, what are the differences in the "Ops" models and the main model? I see they have a Pugsley then a Pug Ops as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy21 View Post
    Wow, I see no dealers in my area. Quick question, what are the differences in the "Ops" models and the main model? I see they have a Pugsley then a Pug Ops as well.
    The Ops has:
    -80mm rims rather than 100mm
    -3.8 nate tires rather than 5 inch bud/Lou
    -black rather than blue
    -thumb shifter rather than trigger
    There might be other stuff but this is off the top of my head so...

mtbr member
    Has anyone built up an ICT frameset rather than going complete? (Edit, just noticed the first page of the thread...)

I'm adding up the cost of the parts/frame on the complete build and there doesn't seem to be much savings in it. I'm wondering if a complete build could come in around the same price and maybe even shave some weight.

A few ideas I'm kicking around:
    -Chinese carbon rims or 80mm Mulefuts
    -RF Turbine crank, 1x10
    -Slightly lighter tires... ground control 4.6 maybe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I built up a 16" truck as well, added chinease carbon forks, fatback UMA 90mm tubeless rims, bud and lou, next sl carbon cranks, Easton sl 90 bars and post, shimano xtr 10 speed with one up 42 tooth gear (makes it like an 11 speed)

It comes in at 32 pounds with pedals.

Have a Bluto on another fatty, it's great but adds a couple of pounds

Personally would go with the 100mm because of 20% fork sag

Love the truck
    Attached Images Attached Images   

turtles make me hot
    It's not always (or ever) cheaper to build a bike instead of buying a complete, but if you're going to buy the complete bike and then change a bunch of parts, you'll probably be money ahead building your own.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast