Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrrider View Post
    Oh yes. Awesome bike. Will ride the ICT next few times out then switch back to that for a ride to feel like a hero!
    I feel like Lance on EPO when I switch back to my 20lb hardtail.

But keep riding the fatty on the group rides. It will take a bit to get used to the weight. I'd say I'm 10-15% slower on the fat bike, but I just take it as a good weight training workout. Suffer today, fly tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Once when I had my Mukluk I was riding some really technical downhill in North Vancouver with some guys on 29" FS. I was faster than them and they were saying afterwards that they couldn't have chosen my lines that I just rolled right over. With roots the fat tires are a real advantage.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Mark_BC, what trails do you ride in NVan? I've been dreaming of a fat bike for quite some time but my Specialized Enduro hasn't let me down. I really like the ICT but I keep failing to justify one. Do you run a Bluto?

mtbr member
    ICT build is getting there. Tomorrow it will be ready for the first ride. Huge feeling to gather parts from here and there and finally see new bike on wheels!

Surly ICT thread-_smaller.jpg
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomiKoo View Post
    ICT build is getting there. Tomorrow it will be ready for the first ride. Huge feeling to gather parts from here and there and finally see new bike on wheels!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_smaller.jpg 
Views:	2280 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	1013317
    I see your going Bud/Knard. Nice choice. I ran that same set up for the last couple months. Great traction and low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So I probably missed this, but when I searched the thread nothing came up...

Anyone had any issues with the press fit bottom bracket? Was really ready to go with a Wednesday until I saw the ICT Ops (not sure how I missed it). Anyway my biggest concern is the press fit BB on it.

A friend at the bike shop mentioned Hope and a few other brands are making PF BB's that actually thread together to alleviate the creaking issues, but is there one out there that is wide enough for the ICT?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On my 2013 Specialized Enduro Comp I've got press fit. It uses a basic SRAM bb that is a very hard plastic that presses in with bearing inside. No creaking and they work great. I've had to replace at usual intervals (about once a year).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Peter, so when you do replace it is it due to bearings being shot? Or does it finally start to creak?

PF has been absolutely trouble free for me. Riding in snow, mud, rain, etc. I'd have no issues buying a (well made) bike with PF BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    They've worked the bugs out it seems - there were more tolerance issues between builders and component companies when they first started appearing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You guys are convincing me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Surly ICT thread

I replaced it after about 1.5 years or heavy riding. I live in North Vancouver and ride all year round, rain or shine. It needed replacing because it started to bind a bit and then developed slop.
    No creaking from mine.

mtbr member
    For PF BB I would say I had same stress and I still have it. All my previous bikes have been BSA threaded and trouble free. Hopefully there won't be any problems with first PF. I istalled Race Face BB myself and there is many videos and mixed advices how to do it correctly. New parts are cheap though and it's easy to replace so I need to do some learning to know better. At this time I wouldn't leave PF BB bike on the shop floor just because BB type.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    I see your going Bud/Knard. Nice choice. I ran that same set up for the last couple months. Great traction and low rolling resistance.
    I used to have Bud/Lou on previous bike but now Lou was sold out and I wanted to see how Knard is working. I'm waiting to have better rolling with less grip. I presume I need to get Lou or something grippier soon when winter start's coming and weather gets bad.
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    ICT is ready. Just a wonderful bike.

Specs:

ICT 16" frameset
    Drivetrain - Zee rear detailleur, Saint i-spec shifter, XT casette
    Crankarms - Race Face Turbine cinch, wolftooth 28t narrow wide and bashring
    Pedals - DMR V12 pedals
    Brakes - Shimano Zee 180mm
    Stem - Race Face Respond 45mm (will try 60mm also)
    Handlebar - Truvativ Blackbox 760mm (will try something with more sweep)
    Saddle and seatpost - Selle Italia Man, Race Face Ride post (later Specialized Command post)
    Wheelset - DT Swiss BR710 wheels / FunWorks hubs
    Tires - 4,8 Bud / Knard

Extra - Lupine Wilma light, Garmin GPSMAP 64 with RAM mount, Ortleab seatbag, Revelate / Surly framebag and 2x feedbag (will be here next week), Revelate Viscacha seatbag (when available).

Weight without extra's: 15,5kg (about 34,5lbs?)

Few detail pictures:

Name:  _smaller.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  121.6 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    How are the salsa/formula hubs doing? Steel freehub body?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Surly ICT thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    How are the salsa/formula hubs doing? Steel freehub body?
    Could be better. I had my rear hub changed once already (lasted about 6 months). And now the new one is already making noise. NOT good quality. Perhaps a Hope hub would last longer?

Salsa freehub body is aluminium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdaam View Post
    Mark_BC, what trails do you ride in NVan? I've been dreaming of a fat bike for quite some time but my Specialized Enduro hasn't let me down. I really like the ICT but I keep failing to justify one. Do you run a Bluto?
    That was on Dreamweaver / Executioner on Fromme. I grew up on Hyannis Drive on Seymour so I used to ride all over Seymour. No Bluto, that was a rigid Mukluk which I sold. I now have my own frame I built in Brodie's frame building course. I might put a Bluto on it but I don't think it will clear the downtube although still usable. Maybe get one and swap it over to the Wednesday when that comes out, that is a nice bike, almost ideal for what I want. I also have an old FS Rocky Mountain Element at my mom's house on the Island I should bring over.

Too much stuff to buy, now I want a milling machine to make my own parts. Last week I got a 1937 Dunlap lathe for $250. And I still need to complete my brazing kit, and then maybe get a tig welder... it goes on and on. Add in a Wednesday and a Bluto, man it's like all this stuff costs money.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltsi View Post
    Could be better. I had my rear hub changed once already (lasted about 6 months). And now the new one is already making noise. NOT good quality. Perhaps a Hope hub would last longer?

Salsa freehub body is aluminium.
    Oi, that's not comforting!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TomiKoo View Post
    ICT is ready. Just a wonderful ...
    Hi,
    Can you tell me how tall you are? Maybe also your inseem.
    Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Very nice. Have any idea what the Q factor is compared to the Surly OD? thanks

Views: 1409
Size:  121.6 KB[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just listed my current bike for sale locally. We'll see what happens. It will definitely be getting replaced with an ICT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by short wheel View Post
    Hi,
    Can you tell me how tall you are? Maybe also your inseem.
    Thx
    I'm 5'7" with about 29.5" inseam and longish hands.

Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Have any idea what the Q factor is compared to the Surly OD? thanks
    No idea about Surly OD. I have understood mine would be 222mm.
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

turtles make me hot
    How's the Knard Bud combo workin' out? My Lou is pretty worn down and I wanted to try that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    surly od much less q-factor

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My Surly OD cranks sit tight up against the BB. But the arms may have more sweep to clear the CS. I may be wrong, but the Cinch arms appear to be straighter. Otherwise why would they need spacers. 100 mm bb external bearings may take up more width than 132 mm internal. Just a thought. Anyone know?

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    surly 212mm q-factor
    on ict crank from arm to rear end tubes - there is 6-8mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly ICT thread

Thanks, so about 10mm wider w/ Cinch. It is either the Race face or a 58bcd 28 tooth steel narrow wide from surely combined w/ the Surely chain guard on a SurlyOD

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Surly OD is probably very good choise and that is something I thought also. For me it was expensive choise and difficult to find chainring for it. I allready had wolftooth parts so RF was easy choise and I had one on previous Felt also. But it is true that arms could have more curvy shape and spacers would be useless. I have no doubt OD is perfect fit. Good sides of cinch might be rigid 30mm axle and light weight. Might be but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    How's the Knard Bud combo workin' out? My Lou is pretty worn down and I wanted to try that.
    When I had motorcycles I always wanted to have more grip in front and Bud / Knard should be that. But still in fact I was a bit surpriced about grip that Knard gave. I'll test some more but this seems good. For winter Lou is probably better choise.

Here is few pics of a ride near my home this morning. It was raining like hell but tyres were really doing good work. Pressure was front 4PSI and rear 5PSI.

Views: 1951
Size:  211.0 KB

Views: 1888
Size:  154.2 KB

There was few nice "carwash" places on the trail. After rain those woods were full of water and I got really wet.

Views: 1885
Size:  136.7 KB

ICT is now christened!

Views: 1899
Size:  111.9 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Surly ICT thread-image.jpgJust joined the ICT owners club yesterday. Sweet local shop clearance deal at $1720 was too rad to pass up, sold my Long Haul Trucker and hour later, and off I rode into the sunset on my new ICT!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Just joined the ICT owners club yesterday. Sweet local shop clearance deal at $1720 was too rad to pass up, sold my Long Haul Trucker and hour later, and off I rode into the sunset on my new ICT!
    Wow, that's a deal. Would've been hard for me to resist. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey I'm going to run into the shop tomorrow and talk to them about ordering a bike, but I'm curious about the Surly sizing. (Sorry if this has been covered!)

My current bike has an 18" seat tube, 22.5" top tube, 23-23.5" effective top tube, and a 32.5" stand-over at the middle of the top tube.

I'm thinking that even though the seat tube on a Medium is 16.8" the longer top tube will make up the difference and give me a better fit than if I go with a Large?

FWIW my shop carries Pugsley's on the floor but would have to order in an ICT (though I will be able to ride it before I buy it).

Also, anyone running a Revelate bag on a Medium or Large ICT?

mtbr member
    Surly (Revelate) framebag size 1 on 16" ICT frame. Also two Revelate feedbags on handlebar.

Views: 1795
Size:  193.4 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looks like it fits well so I'll go that route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Went for a Bluto a couple of weeks ago. Got the 2015 model for a nice price, it totally transforms the bike. Still have to figure out the correct pressure to sag ratio, as the recommended pressure gives way to little. im 210 lbs and ride around with 110 psi, in stead of the recommended 135+. The 110 psi give me an ~20% sag. Along with the dropper post, this thing is amazing at everything i throw at it. It inspires confidence, which, for a mtb newbie, is a very nice feeling. Next up are a Sram 1x11 conversion (i like Sram more then shimano) and maybe a 29"+ for next summer.

Keep in mind though, the Mucky Nutz fenders won't clear the bluto. A Beaver Guard should do the trick though. (which is not officialy available in europe).
    Pics:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OocH View Post
    Went for a Bluto a couple of weeks ago. Got the 2015 model for a nice price, it totally transforms the bike. Still have to figure out the correct pressure to sag ratio, as the recommended pressure gives way to little. im 210 lbs and ride around with 110 psi, in stead of the recommended 135+. The 110 psi give me an ~20% sag. Along with the dropper post, this thing is amazing at everything i throw at it. It inspires confidence, which, for a mtb newbie, is a very nice feeling. Next up are a Sram 1x11 conversion (i like Sram more then shimano) and maybe a 29"+ for next summer.

Keep in mind though, the Mucky Nutz fenders won't clear the bluto. A Beaver Guard should do the trick though. (which is not officialy available in europe).
    Pics:

Nice ride. Beaver guard will work but the sides that attach to the stanchions get in the way of the fork rebound sometimes. Might be able to modify it. Or just make your own out of anything plastic and some zip ties.

mtbr member
    Yes, I went with the small. Perfect size for me. 5'8.5". I wouldn't want the TT any longer or closer to my crotch.

Ok. I found the answer to a question I had. Thanks. I'm 5'8.5" also. If I get an ICT, I will want to try the 2XL Snowshoes on it. I hear they raised the bike about 1" higher tt height.

mtbr member
    Geo chart comparison:
    Pugs
    Surly ICT thread-image.jpg

ICT:
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OocH View Post
    Next up are a Sram 1x11 conversion (i like Sram more then shimano) and maybe a 29"+ for next summer.
    Thats what I am thinking do do - still have to decide which frame size is the best for me.

What size is yours? M or L?
    I am 173 cm with 81,5 cm inseam (5'8" with 32" inseam)

Which Sram are going to use? (GX or X1 or XX1)
    Which crank?

I am also still thinking of buying a complete bike or a frame set - because of the 1x11 conversion.

The first image looks like taken on a place near my place?!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OocH, are you running an internal reverb?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have a size Large. I'm 193cm with an 90ish cm (out of the top of my head) inseam.
    Planning on using a mixture of sram components: A shimano 11 speed casette (since 120€ is a lot for a salsa XD-driver body, gx deraileur (don't want to risk having to replace a 200€+ derailleur), Wolftooth chainring, and xx1 or x01 shifter. Haven't decided on a chain yet, since casette will be shimano, and deraileur Sram.
    Picture was taken right in front of the mountainbiker.at flagship store.

@Peterdaam:
    The reverb is external, since there is no place for internal routing.

Norđwegr
    Which size should I go for at 5'7? And will the fatbike spindle for the Race Face cinch canks fit?

There's a online store here that has one for $1610, retail in Norway is currently $2288 so it's not that bad of a deal. Only have til tomorrow to decide since that's the cutoff date for preordering a Cannondale Fat Caad ($2325 with preordering discount.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My ICT Ops...

Super generic but it's mine. Ended up springing for the large and like the fit. The bike feels super solid.

Nice stuff is nice, but I always get super anal. This is my first "name brand" bike and it's nice to finally have a nice bike. It took me a while to realize that the rear derailer had a clutch and that I didn't have the rear axle lined up in the chip (idiot!). Fork was also loose on my first ride with it (doh!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-20150915_194110.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Dude that is a ripping steel machine right there. Nothing generic about it. Think classic. I like how 'solid' the ICT feels too. Point, pedal, roll over it. The ops spec is great. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful bike. I'm thinking of getting one for my son.

mtbr member
    i just put a bluto on the front of my ICT Opps. It has Avid BB7 and i had to purchase a adapter kitfor the 180 rotor. i can't get the spacing right. i feel like i have tried every combo in the instructions. Can anyone post a picture or their setup? thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello all,

Joined the club over the weekend and got an ICT ops. It is a blast to ride. It really slings the mud all over you. This was weekend was the first time riding my bike since I fractured my radial head and strained my wrist 6 weeks ago. It feels so good to be back on a bike. I spent too much time researching bikes during my time off the bike...

I spent almost all of yesterday making those wheels tubeless. It required way more tape than I wanted to use to build up the lips for the bead to seal and seat. May have to go back and rethink that in the future. I hope my wheels didnt turn out heavier than with a tube. :O

Future upgrades:
    I want to go sram x9, the mircorshifters are not doing it for me. Very awkward to use on descends. I need to figure out if I can run an x9 in the rear. I heard that the dropout is shimano only . Looks like I need to do some research.

Other simpler upgrades planned:
    Mud fenders
    Saddle
    Possible Breaks
    Bashgaurd

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jwal View Post

I spent almost all of yesterday making those wheels tubeless. It required way more tape than I wanted to use to build up the lips for the bead to seal and seat. May have to go back and rethink that in the future. I hope my wheels didnt turn out heavier than with a tube. :O
    I recently tried Something different and it worked like a charm. I set up all my fat tires split tubeless. In the past, I had to wrap a strap around the outside of the tire and shake it and do all sorts of goofy stuff and it finally would seal. If it's a new tire, not so bad. Used... That's a whole other story. You're lucky to get them sealed sometimes.
    Last week, I was mounting up a new rear Knard on a Clownshoe. I bought this roll of pink closed cell foam at Ace Hardware. It's about 3 3/4" wide and weighs NOTHING. I put one layer of it between the rim strip and the split tube. Seated the tire on the first try with a floor pump. Did't get a drop of Stan's on the floor or anything.
    I like turtles

Scant abuse
    I am think about putting a Bluto fork on my ICT.
    What do need to change?
    1. Brake adapter?
    2. Crown race? Or new headset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am think about putting a Bluto fork on my ICT.
    What do need to change?
    1. Brake adapter?
    2. Crown race? Or new headset?
    Brake adapter, and a crown race. No new headset needed. For anyone having trouble getting the brake positioned right, try clamping the brake down onto the rotor while all the bolts are still lose, then tightening the bolts down. That should get your brake in essentially the right place.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

Scant abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Brake adapter, and a crown race. No new headset needed. For anyone having trouble getting the brake positioned right, try clamping the brake down onto the rotor while all the bolts are still lose, then tightening the bolts down. That should get your brake in essentially the right place.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I recently tried Something different and it worked like a charm. I set up all my fat tires split tubeless. In the past, I had to wrap a strap around the outside of the tire and shake it and do all sorts of goofy stuff and it finally would seal. If it's a new tire, not so bad. Used... That's a whole other story. You're lucky to get them sealed sometimes.
    Last week, I was mounting up a new rear Knard on a Clownshoe. I bought this roll of pink closed cell foam at Ace Hardware. It's about 3 3/4" wide and weighs NOTHING. I put one layer of it between the rim strip and the split tube. Seated the tire on the first try with a floor pump. Did't get a drop of Stan's on the floor or anything.
    I thought about trying this method but i dislike how the tube has to be replaced every time I take a tire off. But I am keeping this in mind if the method I tried failed. Luckily my wheels seem to be holding well.

Tonight I put my bike back together. Took it apart to apply frame saver. During reinstall I adjusted the brakes. They are way more crisp then before. I also bed the pads in a tad. Stoping power isn't too bad. For those adjusting their brakes, I recommend loosing the pads the whole way. Loosen the bolts holding the caliper on. Then tight the knobs to bring the pads in; keep doing this until the brake lever is firm. Be sure to be equal in adjustment. Once the lever is firm, grasp down hard as said above, then tighten the bolts in an alternating fashion. You may have to back the pads off slightly so the pads dont rub. This method above has given me the best results with mechanical disc brakes.

On a different note, anyone running srams GX 11x on these? Seems like a better option over X9 for the price. That and it seems to be replacing x9.

Thank you

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Damn you people!

I was struggling between a cannondale habit and a spec camber.

Then, I got on this thread....maybe I am headed in the wrong direction. Frost blue looks soooooooo good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought a Moonlander a month before the ICT came out. I didn't ride my ML much after I rode the ICT at the bike shop, I really liked the ICT for my style. I am thinking I may sell my Moonie and buy an ICT. Just figuring out what to sell my Moonlander for...

mtbr member
    If I may ask a question, there's more things I don't know about bikes than what I do know. So I'm trying to learn. .
    The only thing I know about the ICT is it will fit 2XL Snowshoes. Which ttbomk is the largest fat bike tire. That is the part of the ICT that I am interested in. Well, that and it has brazeons for racks front and rear. Other than the different color, what is the purpose of the ICT Ops? And how do they differ from the Moonlander?
    As far as jumping on an ICT or a Blackborrow or a Moonlander and riding them. What would the differences be is one more suited for a certain type of riding than the other?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    If I may ask a question, there's more things I don't know about bikes than what I do know. So I'm trying to learn. .
    The only thing I know about the ICT is it will fit 2XL Snowshoes. Which ttbomk is the largest fat bike tire. That is the part of the ICT that I am interested in. Well, that and it has brazeons for racks front and rear. Other than the different color, what is the purpose of the ICT Ops? And how do they differ from the Moonlander?
    As far as jumping on an ICT or a Blackborrow or a Moonlander and riding them. What would the differences be is one more suited for a certain type of riding than the other?
    Thanks.
    To answer some of your questions:
    -Pug ops is black (why i bought it)
    -80mm Rim with 3.8" tires
    -Mechanical brakes
    -Lower quality sifters (microshifts)
    -I believe its lower quality derailleurs as well, but I dont feel like looking at surly's website right now.

The Ice Cream Truck
    -Its blue
    -Hydraulic brakes, Cant recall if they are guides or not
    -100mm Clown shoe rim
    -4.6" tires
    -Better shifters and derailleurs

The moonlander has 100mm rims, with more of a touring geometry. It also cannot accept a Bluto fork to my knowledge. The ICT geometry is more towards the side of single track usage.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jwal View Post
    To answer some of your questions:
    -Pug ops is black (why i bought it)
    -80mm Rim with 3.8" tires
    -Mechanical brakes
    -Lower quality sifters (microshifts)
    -I believe its lower quality derailleurs as well, but I dont feel like looking at surly's website right now.

The Ice Cream Truck
    -Its blue
    -Hydraulic brakes, Cant recall if they are guides or not
    -100mm Clown shoe rim
    -4.6" tires
    -Better shifters and derailleurs

The moonlander has 100mm rims, with more of a touring geometry. It also cannot accept a Bluto fork to my knowledge. The ICT geometry is more towards the side of single track usage.
    The Moonlander uses an offset rear wheel assembly with a 135mm hub. The ICT uses a 190mm hub built straight up. This on top of what jwal said.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey guys!

Can someone say is size M suitable for me?
    I am 5′11.65″tall and inseam is 2′10.25″

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by maamu View Post
    Hey guys!

Can someone say is size M suitable for me?
    I am 5′11.65″tall and inseam is 2′10.25″
    I would get a large if I was you. I'm 5'10" and my inseam is 32"ish. The large fits perfect and is such a blast to ride. Good luck!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    I would get a large if I was you. I'm 5'10" and my inseam is 32"ish. The large fits perfect and is such a blast to ride. Good luck!
    I agree. I'd rather see you on a large.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys! I'm trying to get to test drive both sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think it comes down to personal preference. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and after riding both I went with a medium. Look at the top tube measurements. I think even the top tube of the med is over 24" which is pretty long for a med. If you are a guy who runs longer stems like 70-90mm I would say med. If you are going short like 50mm stem I would say large.

I am running a 70mm stem and 760mm bars and it feels perfect

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    depends what you what to do with your bike
    more jumpy style M
    5' 8" i chоosed S and sometime still thinking xs will be more playful
    760 bar and 45mm stem

mtbr member
    Geeze, I must be an oddball. I am 5'5 and am on a Med. All my other bikes are smalls though. The med ICT just seemed more like my long distance touring rig, so I wanted less "flickable" and more "stable" and extended feeling comfy, not so upright. So I think it depends on the rider and feel. All those braze ons and squish just made me wanna go slightly bigger for the long miles of comfy saddle time without feeling like I was riding a cruiser and more like I was riding a tourer.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you guys, lot of good answers.
    My current bike is a Niner One 9 RDO size L and it always felt a bit big.

Norđwegr
    I found a ICT Ops frame for $605 and the DT Swiss BR2205 wheelset for $709, seems like a good deal right?

I'd just need a headset, cinch spindle and a ICT cinch spacer to get it up and running.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I found a ICT Ops frame for $605 and the DT Swiss BR2205 wheelset for $709, seems like a good deal right?

I'd just need a headset, cinch spindle and a ICT cinch spacer to get it up and running.

Not a bad a deal. My complete was 1800. What shifters and cassette are you planning on going with.

Where did you find those wheels? Local or online? I am considering a second set for some 4.8 tires.

Norđwegr
    It's local, includes a 25% tax so adjusted for US pricing it's a $985 total.

Probably just re-using stuff I already have, xt cassette with hope extender and a saint shifter. Cheap and reliable

The White Jeff W
    Wondering if anyone has found a quick release front thru axle that works with the ICT fork?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm on the way to order a ICT in S. But I have a question about the Seat Tube Length:
    On my other bike, the length from the crank to the top of the saddle is about 720 mm.
    The Seat Tube Length of the ICT in S is 376.4 mm - so I have to pull out the seat post about 340 mm. Is that possible? Because the seat post should be always as deep as the last frame connection is.
    (I don't know if this is clear)
    Greatings

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a size small as well. I'll have a look when and measure when I get home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Great!

mtbr member
    I'm on the way to order a ICT in S. But I have a question about the Seat Tube Length:
    On my other bike, the length from the crank to the top of the saddle is about 720 mm.
    The Seat Tube Length of the ICT in S is 376.4 mm - so I have to pull out the seat post about 340 mm. Is that possible? Because the seat post should be always as deep as the last frame connection is.
    Greatings
    what part of the crank? in which position?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My post (Thomson) sticks out 240mm. Approx total length from the centre of the BB spindle to the top of the post is 650mm.
    The seat post is 360mm in length.

mtbr member
    what part of the crank? in which position?
    I think people usually measure from crank center, don't they? Or at least, I do. My saddle rails are always 25.5" away from my crank center(aka bottom bracket).
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    From the center to top, please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wArden View Post
    I have a size small as well. I'll have a look when and measure when I get home.
    May I ask again:
    What I am looking for is the X1 and the X2 measurements in the drawing.
    Surly ICT thread-geometrie-ict-s.jpg

The Seat Tube Length (Center-Top) ist 376/28.3.
    The seat post should be reaching from the top of seat tube + the length of X1 to the saddle hight (720/28.3). With the measurements of X1 I know how long the seat post must be. I have a inseam of about 815/32.

Thanks to the S people!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ok. I'll get my measurements tonight.

mtbr member
    May I ask again:

Name:	Geometrie ICT S.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1026901

The seat post should be reaching from the top of seat tube + the length of X1 to the saddle hight (720/28.3). With the measurements of X1 I know how long the seat post must be. I have a inseam of about 815/32.

Thanks to the S people!
    this is the best I could do. The post is at it's max height. Right to the line.
    If you need the post that high to be comfortable. You may want to try the med.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_5508.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_5509.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_5512.jpg  

Ipso Facto
    Greatings
    To clarify, the measurement is made from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    To clarify, the measurement is made from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube.
    Yes, center to top.

this is the best I could do. The post is at it's max height. Right to the line.
    If you need the post that high to be comfortable. You may want to try the med.
    Thanks a lot that helps. I need 720/28.3 for my right saddle hight. That's more or less what you measured. If I need a little more extra length, I can get a 400 mm seat post.

I tried the Medium, but always felt a little long for me. I didn't ride a small because there is no S in Austria.
    How heavy is the S?

mtbr member
    Yes, center to top.

Thanks a lot that helps. I need 720/28.3 for my right saddle hight. That's more or less what you measured. If I need a little more extra length, I can get a 400 mm seat post.

I tried the Medium, but always felt a little long for me. I didn't ride a small because there is no S in Austria.
    How heavy is the S?
    That's a little more difficult to get. As I don't have a scale. I'm guessing about 35 or so. She's a heffer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Heffer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Finally got around to doing some of the stuff I wanted to originally do to my ICT Ops.

I took off the outer ring and replaced it with a Surly OD Bashguard
    Removed the front shifter and cable
    Removed the rear shifter and replaced it with an SLX rapid fire shifter (couldn't get used to the micro shift thumb shifters!)
    Finally got around to cutting off the extra three feet of steerer that Surly provides with their forks...

I love my bike, but sometimes do think about a Krampus...

Oh, and 'heffer' = heifer.

mtbr member
    36lbs for a medium. Pretty stock.

But considering a Mongoose full susser from Wally World is 35....not bad
    I weighed my son's friend's bike when he was here. Lead?! Dang, that stuff is H E A V Y for what you get!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member

Great day for riding. Crisp fall air, temp in the upper 30s.

Only my second ride on the ICT. Got several personal records. This bike is super fast on the loose gravel that dominates the local trails except on the rocky or rooty sections, then I could feel that it's still rigid. Braking bumps were a bit unpleaseant too. I'm still faster through those sections on my SB66, but I love riding the truck so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The thing is, I'm pretty much shure to get an ICT in S. My other bike is a doing it all Cyclocross bike with is about 9.5 kg/21lbs. So I don't know how important weight is for a fatbike. Most of the fatbikes are 14 kg in that price range. The ict is 16 kg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Weigh your bikes less, and ride more.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    May I ask again:

Name:	Geometrie ICT S.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1026901

Thanks to the S people!

What software/program are you using to measure your frame geometry there? I have been trying to find something that'll do that for ages.

Norđwegr
    If you want to get really geeky about the geo, this works alright
    GearInches.com » Bike Geometry Comparator

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Illustrator from Adobe

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the help. I pretty much stayed up all night playing with it. Now, Do any of you remember the HS you used when setting up with the Bluto? The head tube is IS44 top and bottom, but the fork has a taper to it. I am slightly confused here. :S

mtbr member
    Hey fellow ICT owners, do Surly Nice Racks fit on the rear of this bad boy? I have seen people put them on the pugs & Moonies(granted, the offset is an issue that requires spacers/mounting tweaks) but I am not sure they can fit the ICT.
    This is my expedition bike, so I am toying with racks and what options I have. Would like to stay silver colored, if possible(although, I might just powdercoat the dang thing hot pink to match my bike accents....so color might not be so much an issue!)
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Haven't posted a pic for a while.

Ah, that's better.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Haven't posted a pic for a while.
    Good point! Need to fix this immediately!

Views: 1088
Size:  128.0 KB
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Fun ride today on the ICT. Love this bike. Just installed a Reverb, and was too impatient to shorten the hose.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednblackbike View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering about bikepacking capabilities. My Ice Cream truck performed awesome.

Attachment 938336
    Nice....! I have a bikepacking ICT Related question. I'm making a custom frame bag for a guy at the moment and was wondering what the widest possible width is at the bottom bracket for a frame bag. He thought possibly 110mm/4.3" would work without any foot interference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The BB measured from frame to frame end is 5.25"
    To make sure you clear the chain, chainring bolts, and crank arms, 4.5" wide is about the biggest you could go and not have interference if you overstuffed your soft sided frame bags. At least visually, that is my take when I measured it & spun the cranks. 4.3" should be fine.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    The BB measured from frame to frame end is 5.25"
    To make sure you clear the chain, chainring bolts, and crank arms, 4.5" wide is about the biggest you could go and not have interference if you overstuffed your soft sided frame bags. At least visually, that is my take when I measured it & spun the cranks. 4.3" should be fine.
    Thanks for the help. Have a great one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Surly ICT thread-img_1987.jpg