Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    That goes without saying, the point though is that she doesn't have the horsepower. She's not a strong rider. I know I could go up anything with it, but it's her that I'm wondering about.
    My ten year old son rode a carbon Beargrease at a demo day and he climbed stuff he struggled with on his regular mtb. Might be worth a look.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My ten year old son rode a carbon Beargrease at a demo day and he climbed stuff he struggled with on his regular mtb. Might be worth a look.
    One of the reasons I was really glads to get my wife an ex.small 9:ZERO:7. That hydroformed 7000 series aluminum is super light. And the standover is perfect for her. She loves her new bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_2853.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    How tall is she? What size frame? I was considering the 907 for my wife as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    What size jumbo jims you put on? What's your wheel set up?
    4.8's - its all we can get our hands on in the UK - on holy rolling darryls . They are good and so far pretty rock proof but not blackthorn proof....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    A buddy of mine just sold his wife's fat bike - a steel one, I forget the brand - because it was so heavy and bogged down on one wet day she hated the ride SO MUCH she refused to ever ride it again.

Be careful with heavy bikes and people who are much smaller and less powerful. If I ever got a SO into fatbiking she'd get the carbon rims before I would.
    Interesting, as my wife had the opposite experience. I would also say that she is not the strongest or fastest rider, and in fact a "regular" mountain bike (29er) made her feel incredibly uncomfortable and lacking confidence on the trails and so she would never want to ride. It wasn't until she swung a leg over my ICT that I saw that characteristic look that everyone gets when they first ride one and I knew she was hooked. Now she rides a Salsa Mukluk (32 lbs) and is clearing all sorts of terrain she never would have even attempted before.

In regard to Gambit21's original question, my ICT is 33 lbs tubeless but otherwise stock. Doing the tubeless conversion DEFINITELY changed the feel of the ride since the real (or perceived) rolling resistance was greatly lessened. As for the price and something to like about it, I can honestly say that it continues to surprise me with how good it is at everything. Unlike the Pugsley which felt like a jack of all trades master of none, the ICT just feels good all day and no matter what I'm riding.

mtbr member
    How tall is she? What size frame? I was considering the 907 for my wife as well.
    4'11" with the EX.Small 9:ZERO:7 Aluminum. She loves it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scaley View Post
    Interesting, as my wife had the opposite experience. I would also say that she is not the strongest or fastest rider, and in fact a "regular" mountain bike (29er) made her feel incredibly uncomfortable and lacking confidence on the trails and so she would never want to ride. It wasn't until she swung a leg over my ICT that I saw that characteristic look that everyone gets when they first ride one and I knew she was hooked. Now she rides a Salsa Mukluk (32 lbs) and is clearing all sorts of terrain she never would have even attempted before. .
    My gf had the same experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone else dealing with chain suck issues? Had it adjusted twice already and still acting up! First bike I've owned to start digging into frame!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Anyone else dealing with chain suck issues? Had it adjusted twice already and still acting up! First bike I've owned to start digging into frame!
    Guessing you've already checked for a bent derailleur hanger, but do you also have a large rear cog (like a 42T) that required an extreme B-screw adjustment? Either could make it more difficult to adjust.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Guys,

I've posted this elsewhere but got pointed to this forum.

I'm looking for a side photo of a Surly Ice Cream Truck Size M(18). Without specifying size, Surly chose to advertise the size S(16) on their webpage. The sizeI just received L(20) has radically different toptube geometry than what was pictured. I'm wondering what's in between. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a 29+ wheelset with Scraper rims for the ICT... I'm excited! I'll post some impressions when I get a chance to ride. If it ever stops raining in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rnarracci View Post
    Guys...I'm looking for a side photo of a Surly Ice Cream Truck Size M(18).
    Tada. Le medium.

EDIT: images were poached from one of the better fat bike reviews I've read to date, replete with some seriously candy photos.
    Six Months with the Surly Ice Cream Truck: A Three-Season Review ? Morgan Taylor - The Radavist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-morgan-taylor-surly-ice-cream-truck-fall-13-1335x890.jpg  

Last edited by frozenmonkey; 05-21-2015 at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Guys,

I've posted this elsewhere but got pointed to this forum.

I'm looking for a side photo of a Surly Ice Cream Truck Size M(18). Without specifying size, Surly chose to advertise the size S(16) on their webpage. The sizeI just received L(20) has radically different toptube geometry than what was pictured. I'm wondering what's in between. Thanks for your help.
    Surly ICT thread-wp_20150212_15_52_13_pro.jpg
    Surly Ice Cream Truck Size M(18)

mtbr member
    May 2015

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scr74 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150212_15_52_13_Pro.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	990670
    Surly Ice Cream Truck Size M(18)
    Thank you bro!

mtbr member
    A couple questions: why did they go with 190mm rear spacing, do you really need it to clear the chain, 170mm isn't enough? It would seem to really reduce your hub options. Also, what about that 132mm BB? Doesn't that make for a huge Q factor?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    I just ordered a 29+ wheelset with Scraper rims for the ICT... I'm excited! I'll post some impressions when I get a chance to ride. If it ever stops raining in Colorado.
    Can you please put a photo!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone using 29+ on a ICT?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    A couple questions: why did they go with 190mm rear spacing, do you really need it to clear the chain, 170mm isn't enough? It would seem to really reduce your hub options. Also, what about that 132mm BB? Doesn't that make for a huge Q factor?
    You need 190/197mm rear and 132mm BB to ensure you get no chain-rub if running a double crankset with a >4.5" tyre. Plenty of hub choices available. I had my custom frame built with widest BB to give me 5" tire clearance - even with my short stature I've had no problems adjusting to the wide Q-factor and can swap back to regular width BBs without issue - TBH this appears to be a problem dreamt-up by those who've never ridden a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by short wheel View Post
    Can you please put a photo!
    Thanks
    I will as soon as I get the wheels. Probably the end of this week or early next.

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by short wheel View Post
    Anyone using 29+ on a ICT?
    I am. It is fun set up plus as well as fat although I find that the Bud & Lou would stick like glue. You have to be a little more cautious with the Knard or Chronicle. P.S. I put an ECR for on the front for the summer because I wanted to run a dynohub for bikepacking.Surly ICT thread-img_5636.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    I am. It is fun set up plus as well as fat although I find that the Bud & Lou would stick like glue. You have to be a little more cautious with the Knard or Chronicle. P.S. I put an ECR for on the front for the summer because I wanted to run a dynohub for bikepacking.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5636.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	991595
    Interesting. Is the ECR fork similar dimensions compared to ICT?

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    Interesting. Is the ECR fork similar dimensions compared to ICT?
    Not exactly. The axle to crown on the ECR fork is 19mm (3/4") lower so it does drop the front a little. In turn that lowers the BB slightly. I can't say that I find it a bad thing. Pretty stable in both set ups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Name:	IMG_5636.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	991595
    Got a profile shot for sh#ts n gigs?
    Looks like a bomber set up.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Not exactly. The axle to crown on the ECR fork is 19mm (3/4") lower so it does drop the front a little. In turn that lowers the BB slightly. I can't say that I find it a bad thing. Pretty stable in both set ups.
    Gotcha. Just curious why you didn't use a Krampus fork which should be much closer in length. I thought they came in 9mm QR and had the fork mounts as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you are using fenders, what are they and how about some pictures?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have bought a Mucky Nutz Fat Face fender yesterday for the front, to avoid being hit by mud when the tires start shedding it. My back is always surprisingly clean I haven't had time to install it yet, but its super easy: a small roll of Velcro tape is included so it's easily removable as well. i'll post a picture when i've had the time to install it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bryan, It has happened several times. I emailed Surly (I think the name was derby...its on the site) and heard back from Eric Sovern. He sent a new Dimension chainring.

One new instance of suck today after several weeks on the new ring but probably because I was cross-chaining (?). (Intimidating trail had me off guard )

If you have a clutch on your resr derailleur (as on stock ICTs, it's a grey plastic switch) to stiffen the action, You may want to move it to the ON position. It makes for better shifting as far as I can tell, by keeping tension on the chain.

Lastly, I wrapped some gaffer's tape (like duct tape but black and cloth instead of plastic) around the vulnerable part of the chainstay (and also on the BB inside of the inner chainring because the chain has fallen off the that ring, but that's likely got a different cause). The tape makes rescuing the chain from the ring and chainstay smoother and destructive to the paint.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by impalapower View Post
    If you are using fenders, what are they and how about some pictures?
    Sorry no pics, and they're definitely not full coverage, but I've been running Crud Catchers since swearing off the PDW Mud Shovels after the last time I had to ride back and find them on the trail. I modded the PDW snaps to stay put finally, but this was after the post mount broke twice, and the downtube straps snapped fairly early on.

Crud Catchers mount up rock solid and stay put, go on and off easy enough with a 5mm, and are indestructible as far as I can tell. I've beat the crap outta mine. Saw Coastkid running them way back and finally gave them a try last year. Cheap and awesome.

The SKS product looks solid but a fair bit pricier, and to me, a bit over-designed. Looking at them, I'm a bit suspect of their rear post mount but that's pure conjecture.

mtbr member
    Set up my 29+ wheelset last night! Haven't had a chance to ride any trail with it, but so far it feels awesome. Its like a whole new bike.

Salsa hubs, WTB Scraper rims, Bontrager Chupacabra tires. Big thanks to the Universal Cycles folks for building them up, amazing work as always.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Noice!! Looking forward to the ride report.

mtbr member
    The tires are bigger than the look on my frame. Its an XXL frame and I'm 6'7".

The White Jeff W
    Another ICT unleashed.

XL ICT frame

Stock Surly Crank

XT Brakes

SLX rear shifter & derailleur

Chosen hubs, Sun Ringle Mulefut rims, Vee H-Billie tires - tubeless

Bought the like new frame set used for $650 (frame, fork, headset, crank, brake mounts & seat clamp). Everything else came off my Boris except the hubs. The Moto was a good bike but I wanted something with more traditional trail bike geometry. Surly nailed it with the ICT.

No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Took my new ICT on a very technical ride this morning. As I had hoped the bike was perfect for this type of ride. The shortish stays, low bb and slack head angle really helped when I had to lift the front end up & over an obstacle. I dropped the pressures a couple psi to help smooth out the ride and get grip on the mossy rocks.

When the trail smoothed out & I could get some speed the bike handled great & carved corners. Very happy with it so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Went on a ride with the 29+ wheelset today at Betasso near Boulder. It isn't the most technical trail, but its got a lot of sandy fast turns. The bike felt great! I had almost as much grip as with the Bud/Lou, but it felt so much easier to pedal. I was climbing in my big chainring a lot of the time! I know its a relative thing, since people complained about even standard 29ers when they came out, but compared to the Bud/Lou setup its super fast.

Even though the outer diameter of the tires is pretty much the same the 29+ feel bigger for some reason. It is probably just an optical illusion.

As far as "suspension" goes, the 29+ definitely feels more like a hardtail than with 4.8" rubber. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the situation. It still absorbs a lot of chatter, but you can definitely feel baseball sized rocks that you wouldn't really notice on the Lou. On the other hand, you feel more connected to the terrain. Less floating over everything. Picking a line becomes more important, but also more possible without the absurd width of the 4.8" tires.

All in all, I'm very happy. I got this wheelset with bikepacking in mind. I am planning on doing the Colorado Trail in July, and didn't want to spin the Bud and Lou up and down 12000 foot passes for two weeks. This wheelset will make life a lot easier.

rd3
    mtbr member
    Ict

Surly ICT thread-p5pb11938947.jpg

Surly ICT thread-p5pb11938952.jpg

Surly ICT thread-p5pb11938954.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Took my new ICT on a very technical ride this morning. As I had hoped the bike was perfect for this type of ride. The shortish stays, low bb and slack head angle really helped when I had to lift the front end up & over an obstacle. I dropped the pressures a couple psi to help smooth out the ride and get grip on the mossy rocks.

When the trail smoothed out & I could get some speed the bike handled great & carved corners. Very happy with it so far.

beautiful ride. what bars and stems did you go with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I will be working on something similar at some point but don't plan on getting a Bluto. I don't suppose the stock fork will have a problem with the 29+ set up will it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InWyo View Post
    I will be working on something similar at some point but don't plan on getting a Bluto. I don't suppose the stock fork will have a problem with the 29+ set up will it?
    Nope, the stock fork has way more clearance than the bluto.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    beautiful ride. what bars and stems did you go with?
    Thanks. This is the bar I used. Looks like they're out of polished. I bought it almost a year ago.

On-One Oversized Riser Bars | On - One

Stem

Planet X Ultralight CNC Stem | On - One
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Set up my 29+ wheelset last night! Haven't had a chance to ride any trail with it, but so far it feels awesome. Its like a whole new bike.

Salsa hubs, WTB Scraper rims, Bontrager Chupacabra tires. Big thanks to the Universal Cycles folks for building them up, amazing work as always.

Hopefully I can build up same set up...Thanks for the pics and the ride report. I'm sure this wheelset will rip in the desert terrain where I live
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Took my ICT for a wee ride the other week

Highland Trail 550 ? Part 01 | Fatbiking Europe

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So just ordered WTB scrapers and going Maxxis chronicles... New wheelset should be fun! I'll post pics when it's all done

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I noticed that Bikes Direct is selling 29-inch rims on 150/197 hubs but only 25mm wide rims. I assume that would be too narrow for a 3-inch tire?

Save Up to 60% Off FatBike, MTB, Road, Lifestyle Bicycle Bike Wheels for Bicycles, Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, Hybrid, Comfort and More Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes

turtles make me hot
    I noticed that Bikes Direct is selling 29-inch rims on 150/197 hubs but only 25mm wide rims. I assume that would be too narrow for a 3-inch tire?

Save Up to 60% Off FatBike, MTB, Road, Lifestyle Bicycle Bike Wheels for Bicycles, Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, Hybrid, Comfort and More Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes
    It'll work but it isn't ideal. I like 35-45mm stuff.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Is that a custom/self-build only type of thing or are there places that have caught on and are selling those wheelsets?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Few mods since last photo. Love the alt-bar
    Surly ICT thread-p5pb12337186.jpg
    Surly ICT thread-p5pb12337221.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HT5rider View Post
    Excellent write up. Very cool to hear your descriptions of this route and the terrain you faced over there during this awesome UK ultra. Keep it coming!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi ppl think i just bout ict frameset

what are the cheapest cranks for ict? can i fit sram x5 fatbike?

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by cka3o4nuk View Post
    Hi ppl think i just bout ict frameset

what are the cheapest cranks for ict? can i fit sram x5 fatbike?
    No. As far as I know Surly OD and Race Face Cinch are the only options. You need cranks for 190mm rear spacing and press fit bottom bracket.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMMu76 View Post
    Few mods since last photo. Love the alt-bar
    Which "alt" bar is it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Which "alt" bar is it?
    It is OnOne OG carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi,

Got my ICT frame today. Checking headset alternatives now... Cane Creek ZS44/28.6 | EC44/30 right one for this ? 40 or 110 ? Any others ?

Bike Now, Beer Later
    Surly ICT thread-11412399_10155629420965231_5638992096793733560_n.jpg
    I am certainly uncertain, at least I'm pretty sure I am.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XRayPunk View Post

Name:	11412399_10155629420965231_5638992096793733560_n.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	996750
    Freaking sweet!!! what wheels you go with?
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

Bike Now, Beer Later
    i9 hubs and Velocity Dually rims.

Loving how this bike handles and rolls.
    I am certainly uncertain, at least I'm pretty sure I am.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone slap on Bontrager Jackalopes on their ICT?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ppl can somebody point where to get rear axle for ict?
    or anybody can measure what size it must be
    or at least size with dropouts....

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cka3o4nuk View Post
    ppl can somebody point where to get rear axle for ict?
    or anybody can measure what size it must be
    or at least size with dropouts....
    Isn't it 197x12mm?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    197 just in hub... + dropouts + nuts

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bikeman will source it for you. Or Universal usually has the MDS parts. Under 50 bucks

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    maibe somebody share the dimenntions?
    because make axle will cost less 4 times and more lightweight

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ppl once againt thanx to everyone for answers

one more

can i use command post IR with ict?

The White Jeff W

No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2015

Chain blow out

Guys
    Has anyone experience chain breakage in a relatively new ICT? I just blew mine out and it's only a month old.

mtbr member
    Not I mate. Ridden it to hell and back so far. Since hell was frozen this year.

turtles make me hot
    Guys
    Has anyone experience chain breakage in a relatively new ICT? I just blew mine out and it's only a month old.
    User Error...

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    User Error...

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    No that's a fair enough assumption. However I was in an urban environment, flat street, starting when a light went green and two pedals in "pop". I wasn't super aggressive pedaling or gear shifting so I don't understand why this happened.I was able to land flat on my feet but I separated my shoulder and I'm not very happy about that (dumb shit lucky I didn't get rear ended by a car). Figured I'd check in with other users to see if there are any problems with Surly chains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_6691.jpg  

Last edited by rnarracci; 07-15-2015 at 06:50 AM.

I first thought that it may be the master link/QR link, but looks like that's not the case. You *MAY* have damaged the chain while on the trails and then it fell apart on the road? Did you ever drop a chain, cross chain, chain suck, etc? It could also just be manuf. defect.

I've had KMC chains before (actually, think I'm using it on one of my bikes), and no issues with breakage like that. Just simply buy a SRAM 10x chain and call it good. (or try your LBS to see if it's covered under warranty).

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nah,

I've been pretty much on pavement 99% of the past month and its brand new. Never had an issue with the chain.

turtles make me hot
    No that's a fair enough assumption. However I was in an urban environment, flat street, starting when a light went green and two pedals in "pop". I wasn't super aggressive pedaling or gear shifting so I don't understand why this happened.I was able to land flat on my feet but I separated my shoulder and I'm not very happy about that (dumb shit lucky I didn't get rear ended by a car). Figured I'd check in with other users to see if there are any problems with Surly chains.
    I had exactly that same thing happen to me on my 907. I was sure I had popped the link in the woods and it let go two days later while walking/ riding the dog.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nah,

I've been pretty much on pavement 99% of the past month and its brand new. Never had an issue with the chain.

Sounds like your ICT is rebelling. 99% pavement?!? It needs dirt. I've ridden 99% dirt /snow/ice/mud/sand for the last 6 months. Almost daily with no issues at all. I'm at close to 1000 miles.
    Or maybe just better lube. Your chain looks nasty. I've been going with White Lightning and the dirt repelling of it is great.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    Sounds like your ICT is rebelling. 99% pavement?!? It needs dirt. I've ridden 99% dirt /snow/ice/mud/sand for the last 6 months. Almost daily with no issues at all. I'm at close to 1000 miles.
    Or maybe just better lube. Your chain looks nasty. I've been going with White Lightning and the dirt repelling of it is great.
    Well I'll have plenty of snow again soon enough but right now my adventure is dealing with the profound potholes left by last winter and the notoriously deadly drivers in our city. Do you think the very fine dust pictured is really a problem? I was figuring the cause to be a high torque start with the chain erroneously left mid gear-change.

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by vilu View Post
    Hi,

Got my ICT frame today. Checking headset alternatives now... Cane Creek ZS44/28.6 | EC44/30 right one for this ? 40 or 110 ? Any others ?
    I have a Chris King on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hey all figured I could just ask here for the Ice Cream Truck, did the MSRP drop recently? i have seen a few place that are normally MSRp down to 2399 and one shop is actually showing a full size spread for available bikes. Am new to fat bikes this will be my first one and torn between the ICT and the Fat boy.
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll View Post
    hey all figured I could just ask here for the Ice Cream Truck, did the MSRP drop recently? i have seen a few place that are normally MSRp down to 2399 and one shop is actually showing a full size spread for available bikes. Am new to fat bikes this will be my first one and torn between the ICT and the Fat boy.
    they both ride very similar. The ICT is just a tank in comparison. Super tough. I think it's a little longer too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I had the same problem: After 70 Miles the chain broke. The stock KMC chain is just crap, running a 10 speed shimano now, which is way better. From the beginning on i thought the stock KMC chain was looking a little skinny compared to other chains...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OocH View Post
    I had the same problem: After 70 Miles the chain broke. The stock KMC chain is just crap, running a 10 speed shimano now, which is way better. From the beginning on i thought the stock KMC chain was looking a little skinny compared to other chains...
    I think the equipment is fine.

I just can't create enough torque to bust a chain. I can go up nearly any hill and still have the hp to pop a wheelie at the top. Breaking axles, busting free hubs and chains seem to be out of my area of expertise though.

mtbr member
    I'm planning buying ICT this week. Help me with comparison between Surly OD and Race Face Evolve / Turbine crankset's. I had Evolve cranks with 28t narrow wide on Felt DD30. It was ok. Turbine Cinch 30 would probably be really good but how Surly OD will be in comparison between those? Someone says OD is too heavy? Also need to use rare 5 hole chainring is problem. I have nearly new 28t Wolf Tooth chainring (64bcd) so that would say Evolve if there isn't any real reasons to take others?
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomiKoo View Post
    I'm planning buying ICT this week. Help me with comparison between Surly OD and Race Face Evolve / Turbine crankset's. I had Evolve cranks with 28t narrow wide on Felt DD30. It was ok. Turbine Cinch 30 would probably be really good but how Surly OD will be in comparison between those? Someone says OD is too heavy? Also need to use rare 5 hole chainring is problem. I have nearly new 28t Wolf Tooth chainring (64bcd) so that would say Evolve if there isn't any real reasons to take others?
    No need to worry about this anymore. ICT frameset and Race Face Turbine Cinch crank's ordered.
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Frameset (size 16"/S) arrived. Yes, someone is quite excited...

Surly ICT thread-_smaller.jpg
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

Ipso Facto
    Frameset (size 16"/S) arrived. Yes, someone is quite excited...

Name:	_smaller.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	1012252
    Hell Yeah. Welcome to the ICT revolution. Tell me, how tall is the person that is getting this frame? I'd consider this for my daughter? Thanks, Wil

mtbr member
    Hell Yeah. Welcome to the ICT revolution. Tell me, how tall is the person that is getting this frame? I'd consider this for my daughter? Thanks, Wil
    There is a Small ICT on my local craigslist for $2000 if you're interested. 2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck Fat Bike -- Small -- New!
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    I have been running OD cranks for a while on my Salsa BB then switch to Race Face cinch. You will need RF spacer kit (or equivalent spacers). The Q-factor will go up by 10mm. Weight was 942g on my park tool scale for OD with chainring and 652g for RF cinch with Nw 26T
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Hell Yeah. Welcome to the ICT revolution. Tell me, how tall is the person that is getting this frame?
    Thank's! I'm 169cm (about 5'7) and I have short feet, long torso and longish hands. Instigator size M with long fork has reach near 410mm and it is perfect with 30mm stem. I presume ICT with 45mm stem should be close. My previous bike was Felt DD30 size M and it was a bit too big.

Cranks will be RaceFace Turbine cinch with spider. That way I can use 28t wolftooth chainring and bashring from my previous bike. Picture is missing spacer ring's Lewis mentioned but I found those also. LBS had these available for good price so it was easy call.

Surly ICT thread-_smaller.jpg
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What are your opinions on a summer setup?

29+ or 27.5+?

turtles make me hot
    29+ is more in line height wise to Bud and Lou.
    I like turtles

Ipso Facto

29+ or 27.5+?
    On the ICT I would definitely run 29+

mtbr member

29+ or 27.5+?
    I don't have plan for that. Bud/Lou combo has been ok for me. Maybe 4,8 Knard or 4,8 Jumbo Jim would be nice for my summer use. I also have Instigator 26+ and i'm planning to try 27,5+ with it.
    Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just bought an ICT after demoing the Ops version. Went with the standard build because I wanted wider tires for better snow floatation, and the nicer parts spec. Plus, Jack Frost Blue is an amazing colorway. Few thoughts after my initial ride on a hot humid day here in upstate new york.

1. This bike is not ideal for trying to keep up with my friends on their sub 30 pound trail rigs. Especially with Bud and Lou leading the charge. Maybe some faster tires would change things? The weather conditions didnt help either.

2. The ICT will make me a stronger rider. Coming from my Santa Cruz 5010c with carbon wheels, this thing is an absolute huffer. I havent ridden a full rigid steel bike since my Trek Antelope 820 waaaay back in the day. It takes a lot of work to rotate these wheels, and I have to pick better lines! I was in a world of hurt the night of the ride and the morning after.

3. I'm going to have a hell of a lot of fun this winter. We get snow up here in Rochester, a lot of it. Should have plenty of opportunity for winter riding.

4. The trail geometry is very fun, I felt confident pointed down some very steep and gnarly rooted trails.

5. Think I'll probably want a Bluto and a dropper post come spring time, but for winter I'm going to rock it as-is.

6. The SRAM Guide brakes have awesome feel and modulation along with good enough stopping power - time will tell how maintenance intensive they are. So far, I cant tell a difference between them and xt brakes.

Overall, the bike is awesome. It's just so different from what I'm used to, it's going to take a little while getting used to pushing all this heft around on our local trail systems. On the plus side though, all the neighborhood kids think I'm the cool young/old neighbor guy and they drool over my bike collection

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrrider View Post
    1. This bike is not ideal for trying to keep up with my friends on their sub 30 pound trail rigs. Especially with Bud and Lou leading the charge. Maybe some faster tires would change things? The weather conditions didnt help either.

2. The ICT will make me a stronger rider. Coming from my Santa Cruz 5010c with carbon wheels, this thing is an absolute huffer. I havent ridden a full rigid steel bike since my Trek Antelope 820 waaaay back in the day. It takes a lot of work to rotate these wheels, and I have to pick better lines! I was in a world of hurt the night of the ride and the morning after.
    If you are comparing a 5" steel rigid steel fatty to a 5" travel all carbon FS rig for speed on dirt you will be disappointed. Especially if things get rough.

The ICT is an awesome rig. Just use it with realistic expectations. It's going to take you places the carbon bike couldn't go.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you are comparing a 5" steel rigid steel fatty to a 5" travel all carbon FS rig for speed on dirt you will be disappointed. Especially if things get rough.

The ICT is an awesome rig. Just use it with realistic expectations. It's going to take you places the carbon bike couldn't go.
    Like through mud and over snow/ice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ...and on into the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I hear you...when i demoed the bike, i took it slow knowing that it would be a different type of riding than what i normally do, which is more speed oriented. When I went the other day with my friends, i tried to keep up with them, and that's where i really noticed the difference.

Definitely going to have to get used to not going as fast, and being OK with that. I'm confident I can have just as much fun on this bike as any other, and it wont stop when the snow flies

mtbr member
    Do you still have the 5010?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Fast on a fattie is kinda relative. You're gonna roll faster than ever over some stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Oh yes. Awesome bike. Will ride the ICT next few times out then switch back to that for a ride to feel like a hero!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A friend of mine once told me that he has to complete change is expectations when he rides a fat bike in the same way he changes his perspective when he downhill skis vs telemark skis. Both still skiing, but quite different. I find the ICT is actually honing my skills better than I thought, and I imagine when I get a 29+ wheelset built up, it'll excentuate those skill even more. You really have to work on your body English to get it where you want it to go. The weight really accentuates using your hole body...then you're right. I get on my sub 21 lb X-C rig, point it downhill, and I'm setting PRs in techy stuff.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrrider View Post
    I just bought an ICT after demoing the Ops version. Went with the standard build because I wanted wider tires for better snow floatation, and the nicer parts spec. Plus, Jack Frost Blue is an amazing colorway. Few thoughts after my initial ride on a hot humid day here in upstate new york.

3. I'm going to have a hell of a lot of fun this winter. We get snow up here in Rochester, a lot of it. Should have plenty of opportunity for winter riding.
    I ride a 907 with Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. It absolutely made me a faster, stronger rider. If you were to build a second set of wheels, say Darryls with Dillinger5's or Marge Lites with Knards, the bike would be a rocket in comparison... Or my all time favorite, 29+ Knards on either Rabbit Holes or Velocity Duallys.
    My fat bike has transformed me into a winter person.
    I like turtles

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast