Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    My ice cream truck has a nasty creak when standing and putting the power down. Usually one "creak" when a pedal is at the 6 and 12 o'clock position and I am putting the max power of each stroke through the pedals. I have torn it down and greased every interface other than pulling out the press fit bb. Anyone have similar problems or care to chime in.
    did you check/tighten your rear qr/thru axle? front? chainring bolts greased/tightened?

rog

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had my ICT for a few weeks now but have only had 3 good rides on it. The weather has been unseasonably wet (getting colder so hopefully the trails will freeze).

Being 5' 7" (short inseam, long torso) I debated on whether or not to get a size Small or Medium as well. Almost pulled the trigger on a Medium after having ridden one. Being between sizes I usually go with the general rule of thumb of going to the next size larger.
    However, after over-analyzing the numbers of both sizes, the size Small matched up almost identical to my 17" Turner 5 Spot.

Got the Small and I'm glad I did. I swapped out the tiny 50mm stem and the 11° swept back Salsa Salt Flat 2 bar for a 100mm stem and riser bar with a 6° sweep (anybody need a brand new Salsa bar?) and the bike feels great!

Here's a pic from from one of the rides (I posted it on in the general fat bike riding thread as well).

Surly ICT thread-10828085_10152677208938347_849542507099071108_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Picked up an ICT yesterday, was getting a little restless waiting for the snow to melt here in the front range!
    Surly ICT thread-fullsizerender.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by omoore61 View Post
    Picked up an ICT yesterday, was getting a little restless waiting for the snow to melt here in the front range!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	951867
    You need some snowshoes to pack down that snow.

Enjoy the new bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I wanted to experiment with smaller wheel set for my ICT! New to Fat Biking so little curious what 3.8's would feel like on my dry desert terrain!
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

Competent User
    So I ordered a replacement 36t Surly ring, and just thought I'd take it easy until Wolf Tooth releases their new chainrings. Second ride out, I nailed a rock and lost a tooth off the new $65 chainring.

I'm just gonna run it, and shift super carefully until I can replace it with the WT ring.

The bike is fun, but the crank/chainring situation is frustrating.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Blackspire makes rings that will fit the OD cranks as well. Replaced the 36t Surly with a 34t. Works great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    So I ordered a replacement 36t Surly ring, and just thought I'd take it easy until Wolf Tooth releases their new chainrings. Second ride out, I nailed a rock and lost a tooth off the new $65 chainring.

I'm just gonna run it, and shift super carefully until I can replace it with the WT ring.

The bike is fun, but the crank/chainring situation is frustrating.
    There's a thread on the forum about using a 94 bcd raceface bash ring on the Surly OD crank. I made one fit my Pug ops. You can pick up the bash guard for pretty cheap on close-out as no one wants them. Link to thread below.

if they won't make it, find a way....

I used a chainring bolt set from my SLX 665 double and bash (they are much longer than standard) and some 2mm thick chainring spacers purchased from ebay. Works well.

EDIT: forgot to add that you need a 34t chainring. I used a middleburn hard anodized one.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

Latitude: 57º 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly ICT thread

Since the OD 36 is positioned as an outer ring, is it the BS 5 bolt middle ring that you refer. Thanks

Pedaling

Competent User
    Thanks folks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Surly ICT thread

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	951867
    Is that a medium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It is a medium. The bike is now set up tubeless with ghetto 1x10(removed fd and large chainring), also added carbon bars and a shorter stem. Fun bike.

mtbr member
    just ordered a small. can't wait to ride this puppy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You will love it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    First commute on my ICT Ops yesterday. Lucky me, we got a few inches of fresh powder during the day.

The ride in against 20+mph wind had me questioning the wisdom of the whole thing, but riding back home over and through the drifts erased all doubts.

Surly ICT thread-ict.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    ^^Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It is a medium. The bike is now set up tubeless with ghetto 1x10(removed fd and large chainring), also added carbon bars and a shorter stem. Fun bike.
    what does it weigh in at with this config? thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wadedro View Post
    what does it weigh in at with this config? thanks
    No idea, i'm not big on weighing my bikes! The weight difference is noticeable though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's mine ICT

I've had this since November and I'm loving it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-p4pb11930430.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very nice!
    Could you tell me more about the frame size, your size and what modifications you did?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMMu76 View Post
    Here's mine ICT

I've had this since November and I'm loving it

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks like a medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks I'am 5' 10" and I did go with medium. I build it from the frameset so there is not so many original parts.
    Wheelset is white CS with 907/Salsa hubs (taken from my old 190mm 9zero7) Bud/Lou tubeless
    RF Turbine cranks with 32T NW
    XT shifter and rear derailleur
    Hope Tech3 E4 brakes with bairded hose
    Syncros seatpost, RF Chester 50mm stem and Salsa Rustler carbon bar.
    Last edited by JaMMu76; 02-20-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: tires

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Does anyone know what BB I need to run a Race Face Cinch crankset on the ICT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colinslack View Post
    I think I read that you can do it with a couple extra spacers. Not sure where in here that I read it but someone did do that setup.

mtbr member
    Found the thread I was looking for. Hope this helps.
    Surly Ice Cream Truck Custom Build

Ipso Facto
    You can use any BB92 bottom bracket. You will not be able to find one with the correct length plastic sleeve that goes inside the shell so any of them work. You will also need to have your LBS order you a spacer kit for the 190mm spindle. I believe the part number is F10014 from race face. You will not be able to use a 170mm spindle. We tried it and it's way too short to clear the chain stays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sweet. I already have a 190mm cinch crankset and I saw on universal cycles website that race face is about to release a sleeve to fit an ICT. Just wanted to know about which cups I needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just bought my second ict. Ops this time. Love the bike.

Installed surly black floyd tires. Don't mind the angle on the handlebar it's fixed now.

Siblings

mtbr member
    Maiden voyage of the ICT. Went to the park where trails were beautiful. Had a great time on the single track. Handles like a dream. So precise at slow speeds. You could really pick your path easily and stay on track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_1114.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1115.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1118.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1119.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1122.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1123.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1125.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1126.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-img_1128.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    Maiden voyage of the ICT. Went to the park where trails were beautiful. Had a great time on the single track. Handles like a dream. So precise at slow speeds. You could really pick your path easily and stay on track.
    You ordert a small -right? How tall are you, I'm still trying to find the right size - it's still a theoretical question because of budget...
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by short wheel View Post
    You ordert a small -right? How tall are you, I'm still trying to find the right size - it's still a theoretical question because of budget...
    Thanks
    Yes, I went with the small. Perfect size for me. 5'8.5". I wouldn't want the TT any longer or closer to my crotch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Is that the Saratoga State Park?

mtbr member
    Yes it is. The trails are great right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Surly ICT thread

Do all the small frames have the "plate" behind the seatpost tube?

Feel like I've seen some with and some without.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Do all the small frames have the "plate" behind the seatpost tube?

Feel like I've seen some with and some without.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There is a plate behind the seat tube on my small.

mtbr member
    I had so much fun yesterday. Love the ICT, but can't wait to ride The Mayor again too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-1st-fat-bike-ride-santanoni-farm-21.jpg  

Ipso Facto

After my ride today

Custom build from a framesetSurly ICT thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    the low bars make it look like a cafe racer

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    New to the family, stock is nice but I cant wait to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldprobmx View Post
    New to the family, stock is nice but I cant wait to upgrade.
    What are you looking to change. I know I want carbon bars and forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ordered anno blue bars, pedals, water bottle cage, already, need quick release seat clamp and definetly a Bluto.

IMBA Europe Chair
    Dec 2012

ICT tested in Rovaniemi 150

Surly ICT thread-brutus-bepakt.jpg
    Surly ICT thread-rovaniemi-4.jpg
    Surly ICT thread-11001906_807385369338953_1348519454048248367_n.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I participated in the Rovaniemi 150 in Finland. Despite the relatively warm circumstances (around freezing point) I had a blast with the ICT fully loaded. Bike did everything right. Had replaced the stock wheels with XMIPlay carbon rims & Hope Fatsno hubs, running Bud & Lou tubeless. Even though I lost air from the rear if I went below 5 PSI (so I sticked to 5) I was truly amazed at what I could ride with it given my size (6ft7" & 254 lbs + bike & gear weighing in at around 77 lbs). Since it was my first ever snow race I made all the mistakes in the book, especially with regards to carrying too much gear. Nevertheless I'm hooked to these events from now on. Will prepare for either the Roavve 300 (also in Finland) or one of the (for us Dutchies) endless list of fatbike events in the US. Love it!

Right now it's sunshine all over here today:
    Surly ICT thread-brutus-en-ik-duim-lowres.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly ICT thread

Nice looking bike. You appear to have a third water bottle mount under the DT.

Pedaling

IMBA Europe Chair
    Dec 2012
    Well spotted. Needed a place for my fuel bottle and this seemed the best option to me. So drilled some extra holes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly ICT thread

Good idea, I think I'll do the same

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Awesome. I just built one yesterday. I have to work tonight and wasn't going to go out and try it today, but you just inspired me. I'll have to wait for the fam. to get home with the camera though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Im really close on pulling the trigger on an ICT. It will be the first "mountain bike" i own, it will accompany a Track bike and a CX. The Bikeshop is knocking a substantial amount off the original price. Thinking about upgrades already: Silver Seatpost, Stem & Bars, and going 1x10 (or 1x11). Have riders here upgraded the cassette with an E*thirteen or Wolf tooth 42 Cog? I read on their websites that you need a different cassette or be willing to cut some rivets in the 17t cog. For Sizing: im 192 cm (6'3) and im (probably) getting a large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's correct. You'll need xt-cassette to replace the original slx-cassette. And yes, definitely a large one for you or maybe even XL.

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by OocH View Post
    Im really close on pulling the trigger on an ICT. It will be the first "mountain bike" i own, it will accompany a Track bike and a CX. The Bikeshop is knocking a substantial amount off the original price. Thinking about upgrades already: Silver Seatpost, Stem & Bars, and going 1x10 (or 1x11). Have riders here upgraded the cassette with an E*thirteen or Wolf tooth 42 Cog? I read on their websites that you need a different cassette or be willing to cut some rivets in the 17t cog. For Sizing: im 192 cm (6'3) and im (probably) getting a large.
    I am running the E13 ex cog. It is awesome and works flawlessly. You should need to get a different cassette than what comes on the bike. It should come apart just fine to use the 42t cog. Also, I would suggest maybe you look into getting an XL. I'm 5'10" and the large feels real nice. I'm guessing it might be on the small side for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    I am running the E13 ex cog. It is awesome and works flawlessly. You should need to get a different cassette than what comes on the bike. It should come apart just fine to use the 42t cog. Also, I would suggest maybe you look into getting an XL. I'm 5'10" and the large feels real nice. I'm guessing it might be on the small side for you.
    I'm 6'7" and the XXL is nice. If I were 6'3" I'd go with the XL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Made some upgrades, Bluto fork 100mm, FlyEye Pedals and bars, old school Ringle water bottle cage. Cant wait for the trails to dry up.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a small and @ 5'8.5". Great bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    im 5'10, 33" inseam and riding a med, but I bought the ICT because this bike is going to ride downhill at Highland and Mt Creek this year so I am looking for air time and agility,

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Little mod since last photo
    Surly ICT thread-p4pb12024868.jpg
    Wheelset for summer, i9 hubs with Jackalopes and 4.8 Jumbo Jims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-p4pb12017401.jpg  

Last edited by JaMMu76; 03-19-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Competent User
    Surly ICT thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426816191.266011.jpg
    Surly ICT thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426816205.995265.jpg

Haven't been able to get out much lately, but I'm really enjoying my Surly when I do. Just a couple touches to make it all mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Anyone having problems with frame flex? My chainring seems to be grinding the frame under load. Bikes only been out for a handful of rides. Felt funny today, but I didnt expect to find this when I flipped it over.

Surly ICT thread-20150322_200956.jpgSurly ICT thread-1427076122497-254278448.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkately View Post
    Anyone having problems with frame flex? My chainring seems to be grinding the frame under load. Bikes only been out for a handful of rides. Felt funny today, but I didnt expect to find this when I flipped it over.

Name:	20150322_200956.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	975073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1427076122497-254278448.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	975074
    I hadn't noticed it, but just went to have a look, and sure enough I've got a black spot where the paint's worn away in the same area. I've been riding mine all winter and hadn't been aware of any rubbing there. Ahh well; not too fussed!

Competent User
    I dropped a chain in there on the first ride and did that. No room with that 36.

I ended up taking the big run off after wrecking 2 of them (I assume some fault), and running a steel 26T on the inner mount. Coated the scratches with nail polish and riding on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuru nuru View Post
    I hadn't noticed it, but just went to have a look, and sure enough I've got a black spot where the paint's worn away in the same area. I've been riding mine all winter and hadn't been aware of any rubbing there. Ahh well; not too fussed!
    Looks like I've got it too!

the target bike basher
    My new baby Surly ICT thread-qmnofaj.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've picked up my ICT this morning. An unbelievable feeling riding this thing. You really need to move your whole body to get this thing forward
    I Did notice a weird rattle when im going over 16mph or more.
    It's the sound of rings being loose, but i haven't found out where it comes from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-ict-008.jpg  

Surly ICT thread-ict-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had some pretty nasty chainsuck in there one time as well. Had to really pull the chain out and took a bunch of paint and some of the black coating off as well. When I got home I put some automotive touchup paint over the exposed metal, after that dried I put some gorilla tape over it.

Turns out I didn't have the clutch set to "ON" on the rear derailleur. Ever since I had it "ON" haven't had an issue.

mtbr member
    I'll check mine. Will post later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Loving my ICT so far. The Bud/Lou combo gives so much confidence out on the trails (i'm a total mtb newbie). Should have done a bit more research though, my plan to go 1x11 with SRAM is nearly impossible at the moment. Can't find any MDS dropouts for QR here in Europe, this goes for the QR and its endcaps for the rear hub as well. Seems that you can upgrade from quick release to through axle, but the other way around it's not.
    I'm not a fan of Shimano, the fact that the free hub body has already worn in so far that i can hardly remove the middle cogs. Found this out while removing my dork disk. As i left home this morning my chain broke as well. (FYI: i've only ridden about 70 miles).
    This doesn't help my opinion

Competent User
    Well the chain is KMC...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Loving my ICT so far. The Bud/Lou combo gives so much confidence out on the trails (i'm a total mtb newbie). Should have done a bit more research though, my plan to go 1x11 with SRAM is nearly impossible at the moment. Can't find any MDS dropouts for QR here in Europe, this goes for the QR and its endcaps for the rear hub as well. Seems that you can upgrade from quick release to through axle, but the other way around it's not.
    I'm not a fan of Shimano, the fact that the free hub body has already worn in so far that i can hardly remove the middle cogs. Found this out while removing my dork disk. As i left home this morning my chain broke as well. (FYI: i've only ridden about 70 miles).
    This doesn't help my opinion
    If you run the thru axle Shimano is your only choice. I have twisters on mine but am forced to run 190 qr. Sram chip coming soon according to Eric at Surly.

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can't find any MDS dropouts for QR here in Europe, this goes for the QR and its endcaps for the rear hub as well. Seems that you can upgrade from quick release to through axle, but the other way around it's not.
    My understanding is you are wanting to get a QR skewer for the rear? Looks like DT Swiss is working on a 12/197mm rear hub (release date TA), which would leave me to believe that they would come out with a skewer for that as well.
    I've been looking for one as well and hoping that DT will come out with one soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Surly ICT thread

Another issue when running a qr if shorter chainstays are your thing, is they move your CS length to almost 18.5, in comparison to 17.6 thru axle. My Hope coverts to whichever
    But that could be a good thing considering the new rubber that appears to be on the horizon
    So your issue is the Salsa hub will not accept a qr? I'd say give Mike C a holler

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    After some more searching have found the Chips at universal cycles
    Surly ICT thread-168466.jpg
    Surly mentions them in a pdf on their website as well. Thanks for your advice guys! Now it's just the wait, in the mean time ill save up for the upgrade, as the XD driver isn't exactly a bargain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just under 30lbs
    Surly ICT thread-p5pb12059598.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm not a fan of Shimano, the fact that the free hub body has already worn in so far that i can hardly remove the middle cogs. Found this out while removing my dork disk.
    Had a similar issue when I went to convert to a Wolftooth 1x10 setup. My free hub body was badly notched from the stock installation of the cassette and it was seized. I ended up replacing that crappy aluminum shell with a steel x9 body. It is compatible with the stock Salsa hubs and a HUGE improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    black wheels makes the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just under 30lbs

Name:	p5pb12059598.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	976628
    JaMMu, I forgot to ask you: what beautiful rims are you sporting here?

Ipso Facto
    black wheels makes the bike
    So true!

Surly ICT thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scaley View Post
    JaMMu, I forgot to ask you: what beautiful rims are you sporting here?
    Rims are MCarbon(Nextie) Snow Dragon 80mm with Industry9 hubs

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Rims are MCarbon(Nextie) Snow Dragon 80mm with Industry9 hubs
    Many thanks! They look amazing!

turtles make me hot
    To anyone running a 42 tooth One Up on their ICT, Did you have to do anything to the SLX derailleur to get it to shift?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    To anyone running a 42 tooth One Up on their ICT, Did you have to do anything to the SLX derailleur to get it to shift?
    I am running a Wolftooth GC 42 cog on my ICT so the setup will be basically identical. You will need a longer B-screw (M4 x 25 socket head cap screw does the trick), which can be picked up at any local hardware store. Wolftooth has a good writeup on their webpage as to how to do it all.

Surly ICT thread-ict_bscrew.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Thanks.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scaley View Post
    I am running a Wolftooth GC 42 cog on my ICT so the setup will be basically identical. You will need a longer B-screw (M4 x 25 socket head cap screw does the trick), which can be picked up at any local hardware store. Wolftooth has a good writeup on their webpage as to how to do it all.

Name:	ICT_Bscrew.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	979566
    Nice setup. Are you running a 1X10 and if so. What crank set and chainring did you go with?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nice setup. Are you running a 1X10 and if so. What crank set and chainring did you go with?
    Thanks! I am running a 1x10 setup as 30/11-42. Details: Surly OD cranks and Wolftooth Components 94 BCD 30T Drop-Stop chainring and the rear is the Wolftooth Components GC 42T for my Shimano SLX Cassette and a Wolftooth 16T cog (in lieu of the 15 / 17 having to be pulled).

I ran outside to get a better pic so you can see the chainline / setup.

Surly ICT thread-img_3789.jpgSurly ICT thread-img_4266.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just under 30lbs

Name:	p5pb12059598.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	976628
    You shed a lot of weight with this wheel set up? very awesome

mtbr member
    the CS took a beating today. a branch ripped out a spoke. photos to come

mtbr member
    anyone got the spoke size handy?

mtbr member
    got this from the surly site

Spokes
    DT Swiss Comp, 14g/15g Black

shouldn't be difficult to get one

mtbr member
    From an email with Surly:

"For the blue ICT, 263 drive 263 non drive (the short spokes are on the disc side, yes indeed)

Front - 262 d/nd"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ordered my Bluto today! Can't wait 😎

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Let me ask all you ICT people something.
    Do you feel the weight of the ICT? I know it's heavy - but do you feel it when riding?
    I was considering one for my wife, but seems heavy and overpriced given what's out there now. There's just something I like about it though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When I first bought my ICT I bought it because it just looked so cool and really did very little research, since I was only thinking about this bike for casual, fun activities. But since falling in love with the fat thing, I have been using the ICT as part of training and even did a race with it. Coming into the race I was really worried about weight and tire size, ended up I won the race taking down a bunch of full carbon fats. Guess the weight didnt slow me down to much.

mtbr member
    When I first bought my ICT I bought it because it just looked so cool and really did very little research, since I was only thinking about this bike for casual, fun activities. But since falling in love with the fat thing, I have been using the ICT as part of training and even did a race with it. Coming into the race I was really worried about weight and tire size, ended up I won the race taking down a bunch of full carbon fats. Guess the weight didnt slow me down to much.
    The ICT bombs the downhills!!! There is something to be said about a low center of gravity and some weight down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Do you feel the weight of the ICT? I know it's heavy - but do you feel it when riding?
    I was considering one for my wife, but seems heavy and overpriced given what's out there now. There's just something I like about it though.
    If you think she will be just as passionate about it I would buy one for her...My wife casual rider and thinking of buying her regular Pugs for her or a framed alaskan. Little by little my ICT is getting most of my ride time. I still swing my leg over my Remedy 29er but always wanting more truck fun. Bluto my first upgrade and might mess with the wheels down the road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Oh and yes it feels heavy but you do get use to it! Traction and stability make up big time for weight IMO. happy trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Oh and yes it feels heavy but you do get use to it! Traction and stability make up big time for weight IMO. happy trails
    agreed. i've said that the only thing holding you back on a climb is horsepower. it'll go up anything if you got the gumption.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Surly ICT thread-image.jpg
    Can't believe how nimble the bike feels...despite the additional weight it rides so well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I was able to run the standard b tension screw and it still had a bit of adjustment left. The shift was a bit slow but worked. That said I've just fitted a one up Rad cage and it's transformed the shifting - you'd never know you had the supersize back sprok.

Re ICT weights - mines down to 32lbs thanks to Schwalbe JJ's but when I ride it the weight difference between them and Bud and Lou isn't noticeable until you have to carry the barstard. I've done 2 160 mile bike packing trips over the last two weekends with mucho hike a bike and I manged with an acceptable amount of huffing, puffing and swearing

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    agreed. i've said that the only thing holding you back on a climb is horsepower. it'll go up anything if you got the gumption.
    That goes without saying, the point though is that she doesn't have the horsepower. She's not a strong rider. I know I could go up anything with it, but it's her that I'm wondering about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What size jumbo jims you put on? What's your wheel set up?

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine just sold his wife's fat bike - a steel one, I forget the brand - because it was so heavy and bogged down on one wet day she hated the ride SO MUCH she refused to ever ride it again.

Be careful with heavy bikes and people who are much smaller and less powerful. If I ever got a SO into fatbiking she'd get the carbon rims before I would.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast