Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 200 of 830
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Greenfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Shaker View Post
    Here are a few from the last week or so. Can you tell I like that big back shoe?
    Those tires make your jeep tires look like racing slicks.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bone Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    81
    It's funny you mention the Jeep. I just watched it leave my driveway this morning. I sold it. Having sellers remorse a little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_1054-640x480-.jpg  

    Surly ICT thread-img_1046-640x426-.jpg  


  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,168

    Surly ICT thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Shaker View Post
    It's funny you mention the Jeep. I just watched it leave my driveway this morning. I sold it. Having sellers remorse a little.
    Big mistake. I still have my 83 CJ7. Carries my Moonlander just fine.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bone Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    81
    If I get another one it will be older. The buyer has big plans that I am very excited about. It will take on a new role at a scenario based shooting range. Getting paint and a class three belt fed weapon mounted on the roll cage. Hopefully pics later. Anyway........Ice Cream!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_1073-1024x731-.jpg  


  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    19
    My new ride. First fat bike. Really enjoying it. Well except for the flat tire I got on my first ride. 1.5 thorn right through the center tread block right into the tube. Did not even notice until I got back home. Time to go tubeless maybe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-ice-cream-truck.jpg  


  6. #106
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    It's time to go tubeless. Been riding mine for 10 months flat free.
    I like turtles

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    It's time to go tubeless. Been riding mine for 10 months flat free.
    Did you go split tube? Tape? Any tips for the rim tire combo? Anything you wish you would have known before you started?

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    130
    Replaced the handlebar stem with a slightly longer one to correct a wrist angle to a straight er grab. Will test tomorrow.

  9. #109
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by jkander View Post
    Did you go split tube? Tape? Any tips for the rim tire combo? Anything you wish you would have known before you started?
    I run Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. I went split tube. I made rim strips out of camo Gorilla Tape. I used a 24" Q Tube. It set up easily and has been trouble free. I had to disassemble the wheel last night because I toasted the rear hub. When I removed the tire, I saw how well it was seated and I had to fight it to get the bead broken.
    So, even though I burp a little air here and there and leak a little sealant, I don't think I ever have to worry about losing my seal completely.
    I like turtles

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    Will go tubeless when I pick mine up this week....I really don't trust tubes with slime
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    121
    Just in case anyone was wondering about bikepacking capabilities. My Ice Cream truck performed awesome.

    Surly ICT thread-15082298594_0bc2c88ce9_b.jpg

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aceldama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    321
    Test-rode an ICT along side a Rocky Mountain Blizzard for comparison. Here are my impressions (from riding around the street...)

    -The ICT has an amazing presence. Between the tires/rims and the amazing paint it just stands out compared to the stealthy all-black blizzard. If you want attention the ICT is for you.

    -ICT feels slacker/more stable than the Blizzard even though they share the same listed head tube angle. It could be due to the Blizzard's sag setting on the Bluto but it made the Blizzard feel more like an XC bike. Also the Blizzard felt a bit more compact in the cockpit area.

    -The ICT and the Blizzard feel about the same weight when you pick them up but the Blizzard feels a little quicker when riding. Probably down to the lighter wheels/tire combo.

    -Both bikes have great brakes.

    Both bikes being the same price makes for a hard decision. If you've got to have a Bluto the Blizzard is an excellent value proposition. The ICT definitely has an x-factor about it, though. Basically, I've got a horrible case of analysis paralysis and can't pull the trigger on anything.

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednblackbike View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering about bikepacking capabilities. My Ice Cream truck performed awesome.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15082298594_0bc2c88ce9_b.jpg 
Views:	1722 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	938336
    How's the new rubber compare to the big meats? Looking good.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    How's the new rubber compare to the big meats? Looking good.
    I like them a lot. Maybe 2mm narrower as far as i can tell. They hook up with everything great with noticeably less rolling resistance. They have seen lita of wet leaves, roots and rocks and so far so good. Split tube tubless was a breeze too

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33
    How many of you are riding ICT on 1x10/11 setup? What crancks are you using? What are the crancks that can be used (besides Surlys own) on ICT?

    Thanks!

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednblackbike View Post
    I like them a lot. Maybe 2mm narrower as far as i can tell. They hook up with everything great with noticeably less rolling resistance. They have seen lita of wet leaves, roots and rocks and so far so good. Split tube tubless was a breeze too
    Looks like you loose some height also. thanks

  17. #117
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    I would imagine you could use the Raceface Turbines if you want a 1 by.
    I like turtles

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    299
    I had to resort to my ICT for commuting today. 0 degrees F with lots of new snow. It did great, but it sure took a long time to get to work! I appreciated the sweet thermos that the Surly guys gave me at Buffalo Creek last weekend.




  19. #119
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    Very cool.
    I like turtles

  20. #120
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    Surly ICT thread-10418417_455327874605357_4485649631742879678_n.jpg
    I like turtles

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aceldama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10418417_455327874605357_4485649631742879678_n.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	938530
    Custom build? Looks sweet.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Surly ICT thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10418417_455327874605357_4485649631742879678_n.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	938530
    What cranks / BB you have in this ICT? And yes, it looks great 😄

  23. #123
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    Yes, it's custom as in it showed up with Darryls, thumb shifters and BB7's. We did Clownshoes, SLX brakes and SLX shifters.

    It has a Surly OD crankset. Interesting thing... The rear thru axle is bolt on.
    I like turtles

  24. #124
    parts leftover
    Reputation: schlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    I had to resort to my ICT for commuting today. 0 degrees F with lots of new snow. It did great, but it sure took a long time to get to work! I appreciated the sweet thermos that the Surly guys gave me at Buffalo Creek last weekend.
    Wow, nice bike and awesome setup for 0 deg commuting!

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10418417_455327874605357_4485649631742879678_n.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	938530
    what pedals are those ? great looking bike btw.

  26. #126
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltsi View Post
    What cranks / BB you have in this ICT? And yes, it looks great 😄
    Fixation aluminum.
    I like turtles

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Fixation aluminum.
    thanks , never heard of them until now.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    So I am going to pull the trigger and order an ice cream truck in the next few days. But the one last thing I cant make up my mind on is size. I am 511 with average arm length and inseam for my height. The only one in the area I have been able to sit on is a large and it just felt too big. Even the geo numbers are big when compared to other manufactures sizing.

    Should I go large or med? The large I rode had the stock 80mm stem. I like to run short 50-60mm stems so that will help reduce the cockpit size a decent amount.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aceldama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    321
    Fit is always personal but I'm an average 5'10/5'11 and felt pretty good on a medium on my test ride.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    So I am going to pull the trigger and order an ice cream truck in the next few days. But the one last thing I cant make up my mind on is size. I am 511 with average arm length and inseam for my height. The only one in the area I have been able to sit on is a large and it just felt too big. Even the geo numbers are big when compared to other manufactures sizing.

    Should I go large or med? The large I rode had the stock 80mm stem. I like to run short 50-60mm stems so that will help reduce the cockpit size a decent amount.
    i went with a L and i'm 6'1...I think Large would be perfect for you
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    thanks, even tho the med is an 18" due to its long top tube i think i am going to go with that. Hell its got a longer top tube than some large's from other manufactures.

    On a side note any smaller riders out there? I am am looking for a advice for a female rider whos 5'5". Should she go S or XS?

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bone Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    81
    5'11" here on a L. The medium was a little cramped feeling.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    73
    I'm 5'11'', 195lbs and the dealer at the local shop suggested a med for me. They don't actually stock Surly though so can't get in the saddle to test one out. Nice to come here for more feedback.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Surly ICT thread

    I'm also 5'11" and I have ordered a medium ICT. I should have it by next week - can't wait.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mr pinga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    33
    5'10" and initially I was on a L and I had the chance to swap to a M. Way better

    sent from my back yard

  36. #136
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,870
    I see a lot of mentions of "pulling the trigger" on an ICT. Here's a recent photo of my buddy's, dressed up for elk season.

    Surly ICT thread-img_3171.jpg

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    Thanks for the input guys. I ended up calling Surly. Eric at Surly was super helpful. He basically said to by the top tube measurements because the frame has a low top tube and a large looks deceivingly small. He said deff go with a med so I did. Allready on its way from qbp to my lbs. Can't wait.

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I see a lot of mentions of "pulling the trigger" on an ICT. Here's a recent photo of my buddy's, dressed up for elk season.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3171.JPG 
Views:	1433 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	939019
    I think he may need a larger front rack, lol.

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I ended up calling Surly. Eric at Surly was super helpful. He basically said to by the top tube measurements because the frame has a low top tube and a large looks deceivingly small. He said deff go with a med so I did. Allready on its way from qbp to my lbs. Can't wait.

    Good call. You are going to dig it. I am 63 34 inseam and the large fits perfect for me. I think you are going to be very happy with the Med. Fingers crossed for fast shipping.

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    Yup, I have faith in the guys at Surly. Temps have dropped up here in Maine to where I don't feel safe on the icy trails on my 29er. I have a pair of the Dillinger 5's comming with it so I should be good to rip when the real winter weather hits. This is my first year with a fatbike. I am pumped to stay riding in the woods the entire year. Sure there are lighter and more fancy fatbikes but I think this ice cream truck will be a blast.

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33
    Has anyone tried if Sram X9 cranks (spiderles, bb30 direct mount chainring) would fit to ICT?

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876

    Surly ICT thread

    The ICT BB is a PF 41


    Pedaling
    Last edited by rjedoaks; 11-19-2014 at 06:03 PM.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Surly ICT thread

    So there isn't a pf gxp bb that would fit to ict/sram x9 cranks?

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    Nope, it won't work. I think raceface makes some cranks if you want spiderless

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    876
    Just a heads up for those of you building a frame. Shimano rear der. is the only option at this time using the 197 thru axle. Sram will work with the QR dropouts as I have done. Eric at Surly says a chip will be available next year to run Sram with the thru axle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-img_1119.jpg  


  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    Loving My Ice Cream Truck...My first ride was Sunday morning and did a nice 25 mile spin with it. The bike is heavy and not the most agile bike I have ever ridden. The stability of the ride is unreal. It's like nothing i've ever ridden before (first fatty)! Took my ICT out for 10 miles yesterday and I can't wait to get back out there today. I live in desert area and I can now go places where my 29er struggled. I'm drinking the Fatty Koolaid now...happy trails everyone
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bone Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    81
    It's about time you got that thing. Let's see some pics.

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    10620657_334326616769660_1487426319507266721_n (1).jpg (130.4 KB)
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    10620657_334326616769660_1487426319507266721_n (1).jpg (130.4 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly ICT thread-10620657_334326616769660_1487426319507266721_n-1-.jpg  

    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bone Shaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    81
    Sweeeeet!

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    Yeah man it loves the desert terrain and eats up the loose sand! I can only imagine how it handles the snow! Would really love to take it to the mountains when it starts to snow in my area.
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    159
    Looking to build up a ICT Ops for my wife and going with Raceface Turbine cranks. Can someone tell me which BB to use? The ICT uses a PF 41 and I can't seem to find anything that will work on the RaceFace website. Going to go 2X up front.

  53. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    121
    Raceface calls it BB92. They make a good quality one. You'll need their ICT spacer kit too

  54. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    So bummed. First decent snowfall last night. Tomorrow I have to return my ICT (only ridden in the driveway so far) to cover some of my wife's medical bills. Was so much looking forward to winter before this. **** my luck.

  55. #155
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    So bummed. First decent snowfall last night. Tomorrow I have to return my ICT (only ridden in the driveway so far) to cover some of my wife's medical bills. Was so much looking forward to winter before this. **** my luck.
    That sucks, Dude. Hope your wife gets better.
    I like turtles

  56. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    299
    Anyone in Colorado interested in an ICT should check this out: Surly Ice Cream Truck - Any Size

    Someone won an ICT but doesn't want it, so they'll order you any size you want for $2375. Pretty good deal!

  57. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    299
    Some pictures from a ride today!


















  58. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    ^^^^ very awesome pics bro!
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  59. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    I was thinking of putting on Bluto on next spring...
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  60. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    Nice bike man, how's the clearance with the bud and bluto? Dose mud and dirt ever get picked up by the tires and get stuck as the tire passes through the fork? Is that the 100mm bluto?

  61. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Some pictures from a ride today!
    Is that picture rock? I was thinking about heading over there today too but went for a road bike ride instead. How's the trail conditions?

  62. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by rkzhao View Post
    Is that picture rock? I was thinking about heading over there today too but went for a road bike ride instead. How's the trail conditions?
    Yep, good eye! Its probably 80% snow/slush, 15% mud, and 5% dry dirt. I wouldn't ride it on a skinny mtb right now, but it was awesome on the fatty.

  63. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    Nice bike man, how's the clearance with the bud and bluto? Dose mud and dirt ever get picked up by the tires and get stuck as the tire passes through the fork? Is that the 100mm bluto?
    Its set up tubeless and I have no issues with clearance. I've run it between 4 and 10 psi and I it didn't get near the fork at any point in that range. Both tires shed mud and snow really well, and I haven't had any issues with mud buildup in the fork or around the bottom bracket. It is indeed 100mm, which seems like plenty combined with the Bud.

  64. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    Is the ICT your only bike? Just added 29er FS bike to add to my quiver! Love all my bikes
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  65. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Surly ICT thread

    Yes, The one and only!

  66. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,574
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Nice looking bike.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  67. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    426
    Surly ICT thread-ict.jpg

    i've been riding Deity bars on a few bikes, love the geo but wasn't sure about the colour of these. First purple ano anything I've bought for my rigs. Haven't had a chance to hit the trails yet for real but it's been an awesome week of nightly back alley fatty drift sessions...I'm amazed again at how much gnarly traction you get outta Bud and Lou. I was freaking my daughter out as she watched me carve corners and all the mini berms I could find in the snow trying to see what it would take to lay it down, figuring in the snow it wasn't gonna hurt too much. The Truck rode out of every turn! Shazaam. Same damn thing on my Krampus in the dirt.

    We got about 18 inches of snow a week ago, and some sunshine the past few days...on went the Dillinger 5s.

    Love my Truck.

  68. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    I was freaking my daughter out as she watched me carve corners and all the mini berms I could find in the snow trying to see what it would take to lay it down, figuring in the snow it wasn't gonna hurt too much.
    She probably just didn't want you to scratch up her bike.

  69. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    426
    Well, she's 4 so standover's gonna be an issue for a while at least...

  70. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,168

    Surly ICT thread

    Has anyone tried to drop some weight off their ICT other than the one with Fatback Uma 90 rims? I've got a Moonlander but, would like to update to a Bluto equipped bike and its either the blizzard or ICT. But I found the Blizzard harsh in the rear.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  71. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    Pulling the trigger on my first fat bike tomorrow. I had been really debating on a 2014 pug ops vs an ICT, but after doing so much reading, I'm now leaning towards the ICT ops....I may be the only person who is not completely in love with the blue. I also figured the smaller nates would be better for year round riding, and maybe I'll pick up a clown shoe setup for winter later. Being 5'7", 29.5" inseam, does a small seem right? I've put this purchase off way too long, but I guess I can't develop a feel for what I want/need until I do it!

    I'm in southern NH and looking forward to getting out there! 😃

  72. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpm View Post
    Pulling the trigger on my first fat bike tomorrow. I had been really debating on a 2014 pug ops vs an ICT, but after doing so much reading, I'm now leaning towards the ICT ops....I may be the only person who is not completely in love with the blue. I also figured the smaller nates would be better for year round riding, and maybe I'll pick up a clown shoe setup for winter later. Being 5'7", 29.5" inseam, does a small seem right? I've put this purchase off way too long, but I guess I can't develop a feel for what I want/need until I do it!

    I'm in southern NH and looking forward to getting out there! 😃
    I'm also 5' 7" with 29.5" inseam. I have a long torso and arms. Went for the small Pug Ops and it fits great. I also have a small Troll, but its a little on the small side.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

    Latitude: 57 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

  73. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    I am 511 and the med fits perfect. I think a small would fit you great. When you first look at the bike a small will seem too small but don't be fooled, the top tube is very long for the size.

    I live in southern Maine, if you find some good spots to ride down there let me know. Not many riding areas in southern Maine get beat in during the winter months.

  74. #174
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    I am 511 and the med fits perfect. I think a small would fit you great. When you first look at the bike a small will seem too small but don't be fooled, the top tube is very long for the size.

    I live in southern Maine, if you find some good spots to ride down there let me know. Not many riding areas in southern Maine get beat in during the winter months.
    where in southern maine are ya? i'm in southern maine and there's hundreds of miles of great stuff to ride all winter.

    rog

  75. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    Trigger has been pulled, ICT ops on the way. I had the shop order a clown shoe wheel set and Dillinger 5 studded tires. Can't wait!!

  76. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Surly ICT thread

    ^ sounds great! You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Peltsi; 12-11-2014 at 12:16 AM.

  77. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpm View Post
    Trigger has been pulled, ICT ops on the way. I had the shop order a clown shoe wheel set and Dillinger 5 studded tires. Can't wait!!
    Make sure you post some pics...the small frame looks so gnarly with the honkin' wheelset!

  78. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Surly ICT thread



    Here's my rig 😘

  79. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rex615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    427

    Nice bike

    ^^^

  80. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    My ICT is becoming my go to bike for my weekly rides...Well at least I have two 29ers in my garage to get my lazy friends on the trails with me. Loving the FATTY experience
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  81. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scr74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    19
    my Surly Ice Cream Truck

    Surly ICT thread-01p1020376s.jpgSurly ICT thread-01p1020377s.jpgSurly ICT thread-01p1020384s.jpg

  82. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    571
    ^^^nice pics
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

  83. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7
    New fatbike. First ever surly. Looking forward to be trying this out.

    Surly ICT thread-img_5332.jpg

    Surly ICT thread-img_5333.jpg

  84. #184
    Competent User
    Reputation: Mr.Quint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    612

    Surly ICT thread

    Got my ICT, and proceeded to rip a tooth off the big ring, gouging the chainstay, and put a small dent in the rear rim running too little air pressure. Live and learn.

    Still happy to have my first fat bike/Surly. Just a little sad.

  85. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raoul duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    106
    Just picked up a ICT Ops this evening. I'll try to get some photos up soon. Took it for a little cruise around the streets. I was quite surprised at how well it rolled, given the size of the tires and knobs. Rolled right up an 8 stepper for fun.

    This is my first fat bike, so I'm pretty excited for it. It feels a lot different than my other bikes (nomad 27.5 and nimble 9 SS). Seems like it will be really versatile. Just looking at all the rack mounts made me want to go bikepacking...tonight.

    My only reservation might be the stem length. I have 50mm on all my other bikes, this has an 80mm. I'm 5'11" and it's a large. It's not so much that the reach feels long, it has more to do with the relationship of my hands and the front axle of the bike. It steers and wheelies awkwardly...maybe it's just me.

    How many of you are running 50mm of their ICTs? What do you think?

  86. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    426
    I'm your size, on a LG, and swapped the stem straight off for 60mm. 50mm was too kramp'd on my Krampus (see what I did there?!) so I didn't bother on the ICT. Feel right at home.

  87. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    33

    Surly ICT thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Got my ICT, and proceeded to rip a tooth off the big ring, gouging the chainstay, and put a small dent in the rear rim running too little air pressure. Live and learn.

    Still happy to have my first fat bike/Surly. Just a little sad.
    Congratulations on your new rig! Don't mind about the little dents etc. As Surly says, they are Badge of Honors that shows you use your bike what it is meant to be used 😄

  88. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29
    What size is that?
    Thanx

  89. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by short wheel View Post
    What size is that?
    Thanx


    Mine?


    A size small.

  90. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    Got my ICT, and proceeded to rip a tooth off the big ring, gouging the chainstay
    The Surly OD rings are purge junk, replace them now and be happy. I also found the 36 to be a bit on the large side, replaced it with a 34t Specialites TA ring, which looks way better, is 1,000,000 times harder wearing and is a more usable ratio.

  91. #191
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    The Surly OD rings are purge junk, replace them now and be happy. I also found the 36 to be a bit on the large side, replaced it with a 34t Specialites TA ring, which looks way better, is 1,000,000 times harder wearing and is a more usable ratio.
    I replaced my36 with a Surly 33 tooth. Found the same thing. Also just found a tooth missing on it after 10 months of use.
    I like turtles

  92. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adamkob32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    145
    Loving my ICT more and more every ride. It makes such a great all around bike and the geometry is awesome. Did some small customization to it so far to make it stand out a little bit. Now if it would only SNOW!!! All were getting over Christmas is rain rain rain.

    12/10/14 Roaring CreekCN1515 by adamkob, on Flickr

    Fresh Paint by adamkob, on Flickr

    Fresh Paint by adamkob, on Flickr

    12/23/14 Mary D by adamkob, on Flickr

    --Adam

  93. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by appletrollet View Post
    New fatbike. First ever surly. Looking forward to be trying this out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5332.jpg 
Views:	1010 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	949465
    Yes, yours.
    I'm 173 cm (5 feet 8 7/64 inches) still thinking about medium and small.
    I tried the M once, felt a little long.
    How tall are you?
    Thx

  94. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by short wheel View Post
    Yes, yours.
    I'm 173 cm (5 feet 8 7/64 inches) still thinking about medium and small.
    I tried the M once, felt a little long.
    How tall are you?
    Thx
    im 173cm

    This frame is a perfect fit for me. I have had 2 fatbikes prior to this one, both medium and both too big.

  95. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,574
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkob32 View Post
    Loving my ICT more and more every ride. It makes such a great all around bike and the geometry is awesome. Did some small customization to it so far to make it stand out a little bit. Now if it would only SNOW!!! All were getting over Christmas is rain rain rain.

    Fresh Paint by adamkob, on Flickr
    Nice work Adam.

    How did you paint the rims?
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  96. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by appletrollet View Post
    New fatbike. First ever surly. Looking forward to be trying this out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5332.jpg 
Views:	1010 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	949465

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5333.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	949466
    Where did that rear fender come from? I love it not being huge like so many are.

  97. #197
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkob32 View Post
    Loving my ICT more and more every ride. It makes such a great all around bike and the geometry is awesome. Did some small customization to it so far to make it stand out a little bit. Now if it would only SNOW!!! All were getting over Christmas is rain rain rain.

    12/10/14 Roaring CreekCN1515 by adamkob, on Flickr

    Fresh Paint by adamkob, on Flickr

    Fresh Paint by adamkob, on Flickr

    12/23/14 Mary D by adamkob, on Flickr

    --Adam
    I like this a lot.

  98. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    Where did that rear fender come from? I love it not being huge like so many are.
    it's a mucky nutz fender. It broke on my first ride

  99. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    210
    My ice cream truck has a nasty creak when standing and putting the power down. Usually one "creak" when a pedal is at the 6 and 12 o'clock position and I am putting the max power of each stroke through the pedals. I have torn it down and greased every interface other than pulling out the press fit bb. Anyone have similar problems or care to chime in.

  100. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ADKMTNBIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    Test-rode an ICT along side a Rocky Mountain Blizzard for comparison. Here are my impressions (from riding around the street...)

    -The ICT has an amazing presence. Between the tires/rims and the amazing paint it just stands out compared to the stealthy all-black blizzard. If you want attention the ICT is for you.

    -ICT feels slacker/more stable than the Blizzard even though they share the same listed head tube angle. It could be due to the Blizzard's sag setting on the Bluto but it made the Blizzard feel more like an XC bike. Also the Blizzard felt a bit more compact in the cockpit area.

    -The ICT and the Blizzard feel about the same weight when you pick them up but the Blizzard feels a little quicker when riding. Probably down to the lighter wheels/tire combo.

    -Both bikes have great brakes.

    Both bikes being the same price makes for a hard decision. If you've got to have a Bluto the Blizzard is an excellent value proposition. The ICT definitely has an x-factor about it, though. Basically, I've got a horrible case of analysis paralysis and can't pull the trigger on anything.
    I guess it's time for The Mayor then.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SURLY KramPug thread...
    By coastkid71 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: 02-05-2017, 01:12 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
  3. My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread
    By Keski in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 12-26-2014, 08:24 PM
  4. 24" Surly Ogre Build Thread
    By fatpig in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 09:34 AM
  5. Surly Bikes Film Thread
    By coastkid71 in forum Surly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Members who have read this thread: 249

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •