Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    slow:biker
    Dec 2009

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications

Is there a problem with this set up or am I the genius Momma always said I'd be? The bike is a Neck Romancer (Pugsley frame with a Moonlander fork) and the racks (both front and rear) were installed without any modifications and with the stock hardware provided.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-front-rack-001.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-front-rack-002.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-front-rack-003.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-front-rack-009.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-front-rack-013.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-front-rack-006.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-front-rack-011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mom always said you were "special"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Most of the front rack is wasted with that setup. It looks like it could be mounted lower and your bag moved up a notch.

mtbr member
    Might be good for delivering pizzas, if you could keep from snitching a piece on the way.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Upper mount on the midblade, lower mount on the... uh... lower mount?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Get back to licking windows.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ughhhhh......

Move the front rack down and LEVEL out the rear rack.... looks horrible the way it is now IMO...

Bite Me.
    Genius? I think maybe your momma dropped you once or twice though.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-surly-lht-blue.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Could be an Ice Cream Mooncream delivery man.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    Upper mount on the midblade, lower mount on the... uh... lower mount?
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Jerry on this one.

Dec 2009
    I made this post for two reasons:

1) People with Moonlander forks were looking for rack [B][I]solutions[I][B];

2) From Surly's own website: Front racks are a whole other thing, and while it is possible to make many racks work, all require some sort of modification. What kinds of modifications, you ask? Google "front racks on Moonlander/Pugsleys" and see what turns up. The bottom line is that at this time the only 'unpack and mount' Moonlander/Pugsley front racks are custom made. .

To a couple of you who suggested I mount the fork lower: DUH. If I could I would.

To those of you who didn't like that the rear rack wasn't level: I stated that this is how the racks can be set up [B]without[B] modifications. I've attached an image below to show you what happens when you level the rack - the seat stay struts stick up above the level of the rack and would have to be modified if it is a level rack you seek.

I know that the front rack mounted this way is atypical, but I think the image below shows what thinking a little outside the box can accomplish; that is a 20 L dry bag in there, by the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-racks-001.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-racks-002.jpg  

Surly Front rack mounts to Moonlander fork - no modifications-racks-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hacksaw or pipe cutter will solve your rear rack issue. Use vacuum line caps to seal the ends.

I don't consider trimming or slightly bending a rack "modifications"

Dec 2009
    Use vacuum line caps to seal the ends.
    Thanks! Good tip.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman115 View Post
    To a couple of you who suggested I mount the fork lower: DUH. If I could I would.
    As Jerry pointed out, the lower attachment points on the rack usually fit the lower braze-on, and the middle points fit the middle braze-on. If that didn't work on this fork, I'd be interested to know what the problem was.

Also, it sure looks like the center of gravity gets pretty high on that front wheel. My experience has generally been that putting the front wheel load down near the axle does wonders for the bike's handling, where putting the load up high can have the opposite effect. How does your bike handle with the rack up high?

Talking about those things might make this whole thread start to be worthwhile.

mtbr member
    Sorry, but who uses panniers anyway?

Edit: not my bike!

Another Retro Grouch
    I mounted a Surly rear rack on my Pugs, it'll fit on my Moonlander too, I just don't need a front rack on the Moonlander so I'm not going to move everything around. The Surly front rack doesn't look like it really will be a good solution, IMO....

locked - time out
    Jun 2010
    If you aren't too keen on chopping the rear rack struts, install the mounting barrels on the sides of the rack (most forward uprights). I ran 2 rear nice racks on my pugsley for years that way.

Laramie, Wyoming
    What Kev-Bot is talking about is in the following picture. It works great.

Well, it isn't in the following picture because I'm new on here and I don't have 10 posts. I'll be back because it is hard to find good pictures of what to do with these racks.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Okay, here it is. I'm not sure why anyone would mount them any other way.

Laramie, Wyoming
    The same is true for the front rack.

Geordie biker
    Does the front rack foul the head tube?

I know past reports suggest it needs bent forward?
    2014 cannondale badboy 9
    2014 salsa beargrease
    2014 milage so far - 2,095
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Laramie, Wyoming
    saltyman, I'm not sure why people have suggested bending the rack. As you can see here, it's fine. It doesn't need to clear the head tube by much if it's mounted securely to the forks. One problem I've seen with everyone that I have seen that has suggested bending is that they used the mounting hardware as shown in the first photos. Attaching the brackets to the side of the rack assures that it is not able to move foreward or backward.

mtbr member
    That is one of those completely "why didn't I think of that" solutions. Thanks so much for posting these photos!

Geordie biker
    I thought it was madness seeing a few moonlanders with the surly rear rack on the front with bends in the piece near the head tube.

Do they really weigh 3.7lb each?
    2014 cannondale badboy 9
    2014 salsa beargrease
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Geordie biker
    any pics of the surly rear racks and there fixing points too.....keen to know what they look like end on too!
    2014 cannondale badboy 9
    2014 salsa beargrease
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast