mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Surly frames not frame saved?

I read from Surlys website that it's important to use frame saver for their steel frames before using them to prevent rusting. Does that mean their framesets and/or complete bikes are not frame saved?

mtbr member
    You are correct about the Surly fatbikes not being frame saved before you get them.

Frankly I don't think frame saving is that important. I have a number of Surly bikes and some have seen frame saver and some haven't including my Pugs that saw salted roads and salt water at the beach and it didn't show any signs of damage after 3yrs.

These aren't particularly delicate bikes.

If you buy a complete and want to do something without dissembling the bike I would just shoot some framesaver down the seat tube towards the BB area.

OTOH - some of the newer Surly frames [Straggler and ECR] are coming with the frame being ED coated which is an anti-corrosion treatment. It's not clear if they'll apply that treatment to their fatbikes and if so when.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok. Just wondering why Surly doesn't do frame saving as part of the finishing process for the frames as they make it sound that it is important thing to do for steel frames. I'm probably going to get the frameset and build the bike so might as well do the frame saving too to increase the life span and resale value of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I sent the Surly people this email a couple of months ago:

Hello there,
    Are you guys doing an ED coating on all of your frames now (like the Krampus)?
    Thanks.

Bjorn Iverson

And got this response:

Bjorn

At this point itís only bikes that are getting a color change for 2014. Weíve only just begun to pursue ED coating with our frame supplier. By 2015 all of our frames and completes will have the ED coating but for now itís only the fat bikes that are getting the ED coating. I donít believe the Krampus will until 2015, but theyíre still pretty easy to treat with Frame Saver or something like that. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ben
    Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    The Straggler and the ECR are definitely getting ED coated as they've been seen in the wild. Anyone seen a Surly fatbike with ED coating?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    My blue 2014 Pugsley has a black coating on the interior surfaces of all the frame tubes. Looks like paint, I just assumed that it was some sort of rust preventative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slower_than_u View Post
    My blue 2014 Pugsley has a black coating on the interior surfaces of all the frame tubes. Looks like paint, I just assumed that it was some sort of rust preventative.
    Cool...

Then my remarks above don't apply to the new 2014 Surly fatties.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Okay, so does this mean all the fatbike frames are now ED coated? The reply back from Surly is a bit confusing.

Sconie
    My 2014 Blue Pugs Frame has a black coating on the interior that was not present on my previous Surly frames.

I noticed it when I went to coat it with frame saver, sprayed it down anyways just because I was all setup to do it but kept it to 1 coat instead of 2 for my initial application.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone know what this ED coating consists of, how it is applied (electro-dipped?)

Is it enough to allow a foregoing of 'normal' corrosion concerns?

Surly...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I was told from my LBS, I made them call Surly, that my Moonlander I got this year was pre treated with Surly's Frame Saver Stuff. It does look like it's interior is painted black.
    If it wasn't I was going to get a MukLuk.

I hope I wasn't fibbed too.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    I was told from my LBS, I made them call Surly, that my Moonlander I got this year was pre treated with Surly's Frame Saver Stuff. It does look like it's interior is painted black.
    If it wasn't I was going to get a MukLuk.

I hope I wasn't fibbed too.
    Look in the seat tube - you'll be able to tell if it is ED coated.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    As an update. The inside of my new Surly Pugsley does have the ED coating. I called and talked to Surly today and they confirmed that the new Pugsley's do. They also said the coating is more for protection in the manufacturing process and shipping and that it was a good idea to still frame save.

Now the question is JP Weigle or Boeshield T-9 in the frame?? Decisions...Decisions

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I got my new canvas green Pugsley frame yesterday. It has the black ED coating inside the tubes and on the outside of the fork tube too.

It's still getting a dose of Frame Saver. Why not? I have a can of the stuff and it'll be more useful sprayed into my frame than cluttering a shelf in my basement.

Surly frames not frame saved?-img_03714.jpg
    Last edited by Spinymouse; 01-18-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: To add picture.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    I got my new canvas green Pugsley frame yesterday. It has the black ED coating inside the tubes and on the outside of the fork tube too.

It's still getting a dose of Frame Saver. Why not? I have a can of the stuff and it'll be more useful sprayed into my frame than cluttering a shelf in my basement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_03714.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	863271
    I got the Black Pugsley this year but can't help but like that canvas green. They are fun bikes. I called Surley and they said all the 2014 Pugsley's have the black ED coating in them. I did spray Boeshield T9 in my frame and fork as extra protection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have some Boeshield T9 and some LPS 3 out in my shop. Is either one better than the other for this purpose?
    I have experience using the LPS 3, and it does a good job of leaving a waxy coating that lasts. Recently got the Boeshield T9, and have only used it on my salt water fishing reels so far.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    If you want to worry about rust (which most people really shouldn't, modern bike steel/cromoly isn't all that susceptible) just squirt some Boeshield/framesaver/linseed oil in wherever you can, then let it settle to where the (wait for it!) water would go if it was in your frame. Boom. Done.

I generally tell people that if they're out in a thunderstorm/riding through a creek for hours on end, pull the seatpost and flip the bike over to let any excess water drain from the BB cluster area (which is basically the only place rust is going to be an issue unless you do something really weird).

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you want to worry about rust (which most people really shouldn't, modern bike steel/cromoly isn't all that susceptible) just squirt some Boeshield/framesaver/linseed oil in wherever you can, then let it settle to where the (wait for it!) water would go if it was in your frame. Boom. Done.

I generally tell people that if they're out in a thunderstorm/riding through a creek for hours on end, pull the seatpost and flip the bike over to let any excess water drain from the BB cluster area (which is basically the only place rust is going to be an issue unless you do something really weird).

-Walt
    +1 - my Pugsley survived 3yrs of salty winter roads and months of beach use without any signs of internal corrosion and with no treatment. I do have a hole in the bottom of my BB for water to drain out of.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I've had great experience with Amsoil MPHD instead of Frame Saver. I have a brief writeup on it here: https://nuxx.net/blog/2011/05/16/ams...me-protection/

It's way cheaper ($7-ish/can), easy to get (just find an Amsoil rep) and as far as I can tell is the same product. From what I have observed the smell and the finished waxy surface is the same.

mtbr member
    EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry.