Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bite Me.

Surly Frame Bags

Oh yeah, they're nice.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Frame Bags-bag-2.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    Oh yeah, they're nice.....
    That they are.

Really nice on a bike like that
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    Yep they are - I've added a couple access holes for water line and battery line for lights. Put a grommet on both to keep 'most' of the elements out

I've still got some tweaking to do on the water line - thinking about adding a 90 bend at the bag to keep the line low when not using.

Also in this pic the line for the light is not connected so its just laying over the top tube.

Sorry for the crappy pic - that was right before loading one morning for a after work ride

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Frame Bags-pug-loaded.jpg  

mtbr member
    Anyone have the dimensions for the Surly (or Salsa) framebags? I'm curious what other frames they'll fit.

I was going to look up measurements on Surly's site, but now I see in NitroRC Ed's photo they don't reach all the way to the corners.

It would be cool to share a bag between my 907, Karate Monkey and other bikes.

Caveman
    Hi Slim,
    I updated the webpage with that info available as a download:
    here is the link
    should get you close enough. thanks.

mtbr member
    Right on - guess I'll be checking the 29er tomorrow to see what'll fit

Thanks,
    Ed

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    Hi Slim,
    I updated the webpage with that info available as a download....
    How many cc/in^2 volume are the various sizes?

Caveman
    have not tried to calc them. With the taper up front it's not as straight foreword as you'd think to get a number.

Frt Range, CO
    have not tried to calc them. With the taper up front it's not as straight foreword as you'd think to get a number.
    Yeah, you're right, it is a weird shape. I'm trying to decide if a large Moonlander/Pugs frame bag can replace a set of small front Ortlieb panniers, ~250ci. I'm guessing the volume of your frame bag is:

1/2 * (A * D) * (ave bag thickness)

For the Large ML/Pugs A = 21.25 and D = 14 and if average bag thickness is even 2" the volume is ~300ci.

Caveman
    kinda, it's not drawn as a triangle though, there is a radius at the bottom so it's quite a bit more than that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Revelate Designs

Surly Frame Bags-pugsley.jpg

More pictures here: snowbikes.wordpress.com

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Porcelin Rocket makes a pretty sweet frame bag too! Nice fella easy to deal with

Frt Range, CO
    kinda, it's not drawn as a triangle though, there is a radius at the bottom so it's quite a bit more than that.
    If you want to measure the frame bag's volume accurately fill the frame bag full with rice, pour the rice out out of the frame bag and measure the rice's volume.

=========
    Team SnowBike Enduro Preview
    revelate - needs a crow bar to get the zipper open

I bought a revelate and sold it after testing it for a couple of weeks. The thing was very well made, but the zippers were so hard to open and close, I opted for a hand sewn version that a friend of mine makes.I want to be able to stop and grab a camera out fast and also to not have to remove gloves and wrestle with the zipper would be things that are important to me - YMMV

www.fat-bike.com
    Cale's Custom Bag with patches for decoration

The version that I'm using is not nearly as bomb-proof, but I seldom ride where bombs are exploding.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone know where you can get one for a 16" frame? Everywhere I have looked they are out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If anyone is building their own frame bags for a 20" Surly fatbike (I have Moonlander, but I think the geo is pretty much the same with Pugs) and wants to cut an extra out please let me know via PM. I don't have the skills to build my own, but wouldn't mind supporting someone else that needs the practice or wants to make a lil' $$$.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    revelate - needs a crow bar to get the zipper open

I bought a revelate and sold it after testing it for a couple of weeks. The thing was very well made, but the zippers were so hard to open and close, I opted for a hand sewn version that a friend of mine makes.I want to be able to stop and grab a camera out fast and also to not have to remove gloves and wrestle with the zipper would be things that are important to me - YMMV.
    My zippers were tough too at first - I just dampened a rag with some teflon chain lube and wiped it on the teeth - smooth as butter after that.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

dumb ass
    ^^^ good tip. thx
    Baby seal walks into a club.

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by jboalick View Post
    Anyone know where you can get one for a 16" frame? Everywhere I have looked they are out.
    Got them in stock, email me if you want one.

re- zippers. Yes the beefy #10 water resistant type used on these have a bit of a break in period. Just don't use any solvents on them, if you feel you need to lube them try rubbing a candle (wax based...) along the inside teeth.

mtbr member
    Hi Slim,
    I updated the webpage with that info available as a download:
    here is the link
    should get you close enough. thanks.
    Awesome! Thanks!

I will measure my Troll and see what might fit...

mtbr member
    I just got my surly XL frame bag (one for a new 22 inch pugs) that I put on my 2009? 20 inch pugs (non drop top tube.) I ordered it before Eric posted the dimensions of the bags and freaked out a bit after making a cut out to see if it would fit. My cut out does not fit well but my actual frame bag fits perfectly. Fills the whole frame space and does not seem too big at all. I am super happy with the quality, weight and fit of my frame bag.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    my revelate surly bag was tough at first for a few days, but now i open it while riding to access my cam/water bottle multiple times per ride, and it's easy peazy to open and reclose while moving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I swapped from a large sized frame bag to an xl on my 'large' mukluk frame, and that seemed to make the zippers not stick (the bag wasn't stretched as much to fill the space). And I think it looks/fits better. But YMMV, esp on other frame brands/models/sizes.

mtbr member
    Seeing a fatbike with a framebag makes me happy...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

=========
    I have to admit that my home made bag is already coming apart now from me trying to cram too much crap in there. I should have hung onto the revelate surly bag and let the zippers break in or waxed them.

g
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast