Thread: Surly Edna

turtles make me hot

Surly Edna

One of my friends just made me aware of this. Anyone seen it? Looks nice.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=92007
    I like turtles

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    nice, i would rock it as a general all around tire on my Wednesday.

mtbr member
    That looks like the size I need. The 4.7 Barbagazi's wouldn't fit on the back of mine, so I bet the 4.3's would fit and be better/bigger than the 4.0's.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Huh....

Looks like a porkier Knard concept on 'roids, cool.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    I like it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Somebody have more info about this tire, disponibility etc ???

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

Rednose/Greenback
    Just a couple of data points.

Per conversation with folks at Surly, Edna is not "officially" approved for tubeless set up on marge lite rims. The issue being lack of bead on the rim. Still, I would expect a satisfactory ghetto fix could be worked.

Edna is compatible with the offset pugsley fork. It's not expected to fit the pugs rear triangle however.

Close but no cigar...
    38° 54' -77° 15

turtles make me hot
    When the hell is Surly going to Make a Marge like the My Other Brother Darryl??
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    When the hell is Surly going to Make a Marge like the My Other Brother Darryl??
    This

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    https://fat-bike.com/2017/10/first-l...26-x-4-3-tire/
    Lists them as 1811 and 1830g for 60tpi as of 10/5/17 at 12:45pm

Universal lists 1300g.
    Surly page mentions nothing.

Which one is correct? I'd assume something in the 1300g range is correct based on other Surly offerings. 1800g groups it with the Snowshoe 2XL, a far bigger tire.
    Anybody order these yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    https://fat-bike.com/2017/10/first-l...26-x-4-3-tire/
    Lists them as 1811 and 1830g for 60tpi as of 10/5/17 at 12:45pm

Universal lists 1300g.
    Surly page mentions nothing.

Which one is correct? I'd assume something in the 1300g range is correct based on other Surly offerings. 1800g groups it with the Snowshoe 2XL, a far bigger tire.
    Anybody order these yet?
    1800 grams does seem extraordinarily heavy, at more than a pound heavier than Bud and Lou for the set.

On the other hand they are 60 TPI, and likely have a thicker casing similar to the 27.5+ Dirt Wizard.

To my untrained eye they look like something that would be great in snow/mud/wet leaves/wet rocks and slower but quite grippy on dry dirt trail. I would be very interested in the knob height on these.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    1380 grammes is more interesting
    Surly Edna-edna.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    looks like a wider nate without the chevron. cool tire!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I ordered a set. Is it wrong I was hoping they were 1800 grams with uber thick stable sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    60tpi though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pack66 View Post
    60tpi though...
    yay!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    1380 grammes is more interesting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edna.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1161553
    Thank you/them for the correction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My Edna’s came in today to replace my Flowbeist/Dunderbeist combo that I’ve been running for 2 years. Edna’s weigh 1346 and 1350. The removed 45N tires were 1470 and 1502 with tubeless residue.

Ednas are barely smaller, quieter/faster on pavement. No self steer and a nice round profile. Trail testing tomorrow, but these look like a winner so far.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I ordered a set. Is it wrong I was hoping they were 1800 grams with uber thick stable sidewalls?
    Those old colored floaters from On One had some beefy sidewalls and almost 1800g.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Huh....

Looks like a porkier Knard concept on 'roids, cool.
    Kind of like a cross between a Nate and a Knard, yeah?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Those old colored floaters from On One had some beefy sidewalls and almost 1800g.
    Those tires were pretty damn rugged and the tread pattern was universally grippy. I wish I still had a “skinny” fatbike, but the ones I own are designed around the 4.8" tires.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    How tall is the Edna compared to the Lou?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm curious to know the diameter of the tire on an 80mm rim. Anyone with a pair able to take a measurement?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gumba View Post
    How tall is the Edna compared to the Lou?
    Not sure but I've ordered an Edna and have a Bud on the front right now so I'll try to remember to compare them for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by minneSSnowta View Post
    I'm curious to know the diameter of the tire on an 80mm rim. Anyone with a pair able to take a measurement?
    I'll take a look once I have mine on a Rolling Darryl wheel which is pretty close to 80mm I think.

Is dang happy!

Edna on a 80mm vs Lou pic

Here is a Edna on a 80mm vs. a 4.8" lou on 100MM

No chain rub in the granny on my old Motocabacon FB4. About a cm of room left. Nice for people who can't fit a 4.8 in the rear of their fatty. Size is between a 4.0" floater and 4.8 Bud.

Surly Edna-23113488_10214161260536446_981954656_n.jpgSurly Edna-22901426_10214161262936506_178378550_n.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Good looking tire
    I like turtles

Gimme free stuff
    Here is a Edna on a 80mm vs. a 4.8" lou on 100MM

No chain rub in the granny on my old Motocabacon FB4. About a cm of room left. Nice for people who can't fit a 4.8 in the rear of their fatty. Size is between a 4.0" floater and 4.8 Bud.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23113488_10214161260536446_981954656_n.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1164578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22901426_10214161262936506_178378550_n.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	1164579
    How do you feel about Edna on that 100mm rim?
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

Is dang happy!

Edna is on an 80.

Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    How do you feel about Edna on that 100mm rim?
    The lou is on 100.

I think The edna would work better on 100 as i like less round tires but I am not sure if that make it self steer more if you used it on the front.

Still experimenting with tire pressure. It broke loose on some corners at the pressure that (I think) I was running my 4.0" tires at. Going to drop a couple lbs. and see if it helps. I was able to climb a section of trail i could not on the old tires, have just a bit more grip and the increase in rolling resistance is negligible. Good tire, no regrets should be able to try it on snow soon.

Gimme free stuff
    The lou is on 100.

I think The edna would work better on 100 as i like less round tires but I am not sure if that make it self steer more if you used it on the front.
    Yea, I understand. Edna is on an 80, Lou is on a 100 in your pic.

I wanna see Edna on the 100!
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post

I wanna see Edna on the 100!
    No you don't. 80 is the way to go.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The lou is on 100.

Still experimenting with tire pressure. It broke loose on some corners at the pressure that (I think) I was running my 4.0" tires at. Going to drop a couple lbs. and see if it helps. I was able to climb a section of trail i could not on the old tires, have just a bit more grip and the increase in rolling resistance is negligible. Good tire, no regrets should be able to try it on snow soon.
    Any idea what pressure that is? Could you measure the width (casing and knob-to-knob) and height? There seems to be a gap in available tire sizes between 4" and 4.7" which the Edna fills. Plus I like the look of the tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by minneSSnowta View Post
    Mounted an Edna on an 80SL in the back of my Wozo. Newly mounted at 13psi diameter was ~750mm and knob-to-knob width was 106mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Mounted an Edna on an 80SL in the back of my Wozo. Newly mounted at 13psi diameter was ~750mm and knob-to-knob width was 106mm.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Pretty much spot on to what I've got on a set of Rolling Darryl wheels. Looks to be about 752-753 dia which is about 10mm taller than the Vanhelga. The knobs are about 5mm where the Vanhelga are around 6mm tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any attempts to fit this in the back of a Pugsley yet? @Coastkid71?

Is dang happy!
    Should fit a Pug, I will try friends next week. My motobacon has a asymmetrical rear.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi_Lee View Post
    Any idea what pressure that is? Could you measure the width (casing and knob-to-knob) and height? There seems to be a gap in available tire sizes between 4" and 4.7" which the Edna fills. Plus I like the look of the tread pattern.
    Tried it on 4-6" of wet mashed potato snow today, dropped it down to about 6lbs and wow, I have about 25% more traction than I did on the old 4.0" Floater.
    The extra width and two less lbs. of air it needs is giving this older bike a second life.

Width is around 110mm (4.33") for casing and tread. The knobs are not quite as tall as the paddles on the Lou but they clean really well and roll great, I was really surprised at the traction I was getting.
    Surly Edna-img_20171111_131915.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Any opinions on a Edna vs Nate on the front in the snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gumba View Post
    Any opinions on a Edna vs Nate on the front in the snow.
    I've never had a Nate but looking at the specs I'm thinking the Edna would be a bit better. The Edna is a bit taller and wider so for snow it would be my choice to start with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Should fit a Pug, I will try friends next week. My motobacon has a asymmetrical rear.
    Just wondering if you've had a chance to try this yet? At the absolute narrowest part of my pugs seatstay I measured 115mm clearance

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    A quick update.

I've got several rides on the Edna now but no snow use around here yet. The tire works well, no complaints with it on the typical hardpack or the tricky fall leaf covered trails. I think the Vanhelga may have been just a bit better in these situations but it's definitely smaller and the Edna will hopefully give a touch more float when the white stuff comes.

Also, I converted this thing to tubeless a week ago and have put a few miles on it since then. The tire does grow a little bit tubeless and now shows 108mm knob to knob on my Rolling Daryl (80mm) wheels with 10psi where they were 105-6mm with tubes. They also got a bit taller and the nubs are now rubbing just a bit on my chainstay at 10psi so it's getting pretty tight. Not a huge increase in size yet but if your bike is close on clearance it could matter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
    A quick update.The tire does grow a little bit tubeless and now shows 108mm knob to knob on my Rolling Daryl (80mm) wheels with 10psi where they were 105-6mm with tubes. They also got a bit taller and the nubs are now rubbing just a bit on my chainstay at 10psi so it's getting pretty tight. Not a huge increase in size yet but if your bike is close on clearance it could matter.
    Thanks for the measurements! I should be good then, a little close, but I don't expect to run tubeless yet. What bike are you running these on? I'm more concerned about rear end clearance than anything..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Just wondering if you've had a chance to try this yet? At the absolute narrowest part of my pugs seatstay I measured 115mm clearance
    Surly say not enough clearance on Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Industry info versus real world

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    Surly say not enough clearance on Pugsley.
    I know that is what they say, however I do work in a shop and most of the time what is "said" and what can actually be done are different. A coworker likes running a Lou on a Marge lite on his pugs, its a little rounded but it works for him and it clears fine. I've only got Darryl's on hand but want to maximize the tire. I think I'll be good based on other users actual information, but thanks for telling me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I don't think the Lou fits on the back of a pug even with 65mm rim.. I gave a Bud a shot with my old Large Marge rims and it didn't make it. Maybe if you have monkey nuts and hang your axle off the back of the dropouts..

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    There are legal stipulations that dictate acceptable tire clearance. Surly needs to legally keep 3mm chain-stay clearance to market it as "working" together.

So maybe it fits great but only has 2mm on each side. Then according to Surly its a no go. But according to me, run it unless it rubs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Edna fits 2005 Pugs w/1X9, 70mm tubed rims. Maybe 6mm frame/stay clearance either side. Chainline on inside cog is close but clears by couple mm. Now for snow in Minnesconsin.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So riding the Enda as my First Fat Bike tire a couple things stuck out to me on Global Fat Bike Day:

- Besides setting up tubeless very easily tire feels very sturdy and still conformed to terrain, got a little bouncy in some cases but dont think that was the tire. It has alsomaintined pressure no problem over almost 2 weeks now (temps not dropping yet I am sure helps)
    - Everyone who had a fat bike swore by whatever tires they were running (Bud, Lou's, Husker Du, Ground Controls...)
    - I swore I picked the right tire with the Edna for at least non snow conditions (we dont get a ton but I bet they will be fine when we do)
    - The big Knobs on the Enda seemed spaced just right stuck during transition just fine
    - The ramped tread pattern is actually a good roller
    - I got to work on tire pressure was running ~10psi on both, rigid so lower in the front next time (I run 13psi and 11psi on Chupa 29x3.0 on 41mm internal on the Stache fro reference)

All in all very happy with my first selection for an all around just fun fat tire
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

WNC Native
    Like the looks of those P nuts! Edna seems to be a sweet option.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm still very happy with my Edna tires. First snow this week and they've plowed right through some 5-6" drifts that would have knocked me off line in previous tires. Fast rolling and meaty. I haven't been below 7psi yet to see how they'll do in the deep snow.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net