Thread: Surly Edna

turtles make me hot

Surly Edna

One of my friends just made me aware of this. Anyone seen it? Looks nice.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=92007
    I like turtles

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    nice, i would rock it as a general all around tire on my Wednesday.

mtbr member
    That looks like the size I need. The 4.7 Barbagazi's wouldn't fit on the back of mine, so I bet the 4.3's would fit and be better/bigger than the 4.0's.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Huh....

Looks like a porkier Knard concept on 'roids, cool.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    I like it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Somebody have more info about this tire, disponibility etc ???

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

Rednose/Greenback
    Just a couple of data points.

Per conversation with folks at Surly, Edna is not "officially" approved for tubeless set up on marge lite rims. The issue being lack of bead on the rim. Still, I would expect a satisfactory ghetto fix could be worked.

Edna is compatible with the offset pugsley fork. It's not expected to fit the pugs rear triangle however.

Close but no cigar...
    38į 54' -77į 15

turtles make me hot
    When the hell is Surly going to Make a Marge like the My Other Brother Darryl??
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    When the hell is Surly going to Make a Marge like the My Other Brother Darryl??
    This

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    https://fat-bike.com/2017/10/first-l...26-x-4-3-tire/
    Lists them as 1811 and 1830g for 60tpi as of 10/5/17 at 12:45pm

Universal lists 1300g.
    Surly page mentions nothing.

Which one is correct? I'd assume something in the 1300g range is correct based on other Surly offerings. 1800g groups it with the Snowshoe 2XL, a far bigger tire.
    Anybody order these yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    https://fat-bike.com/2017/10/first-l...26-x-4-3-tire/
    Lists them as 1811 and 1830g for 60tpi as of 10/5/17 at 12:45pm

Universal lists 1300g.
    Surly page mentions nothing.

Which one is correct? I'd assume something in the 1300g range is correct based on other Surly offerings. 1800g groups it with the Snowshoe 2XL, a far bigger tire.
    Anybody order these yet?
    1800 grams does seem extraordinarily heavy, at more than a pound heavier than Bud and Lou for the set.

On the other hand they are 60 TPI, and likely have a thicker casing similar to the 27.5+ Dirt Wizard.

To my untrained eye they look like something that would be great in snow/mud/wet leaves/wet rocks and slower but quite grippy on dry dirt trail. I would be very interested in the knob height on these.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    1380 grammes is more interesting
    Surly Edna-edna.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    looks like a wider nate without the chevron. cool tire!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I ordered a set. Is it wrong I was hoping they were 1800 grams with uber thick stable sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    60tpi though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pack66 View Post
    60tpi though...
    yay!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    1380 grammes is more interesting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edna.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1161553
    Thank you/them for the correction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My Ednaís came in today to replace my Flowbeist/Dunderbeist combo that Iíve been running for 2 years. Ednaís weigh 1346 and 1350. The removed 45N tires were 1470 and 1502 with tubeless residue.

Ednas are barely smaller, quieter/faster on pavement. No self steer and a nice round profile. Trail testing tomorrow, but these look like a winner so far.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I ordered a set. Is it wrong I was hoping they were 1800 grams with uber thick stable sidewalls?
    Those old colored floaters from On One had some beefy sidewalls and almost 1800g.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Huh....

Looks like a porkier Knard concept on 'roids, cool.
    Kind of like a cross between a Nate and a Knard, yeah?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Those old colored floaters from On One had some beefy sidewalls and almost 1800g.
    Those tires were pretty damn rugged and the tread pattern was universally grippy. I wish I still had a ďskinnyĒ fatbike, but the ones I own are designed around the 4.8" tires.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    How tall is the Edna compared to the Lou?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm curious to know the diameter of the tire on an 80mm rim. Anyone with a pair able to take a measurement?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gumba View Post
    How tall is the Edna compared to the Lou?
    Not sure but I've ordered an Edna and have a Bud on the front right now so I'll try to remember to compare them for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by minneSSnowta View Post
    I'm curious to know the diameter of the tire on an 80mm rim. Anyone with a pair able to take a measurement?
    I'll take a look once I have mine on a Rolling Darryl wheel which is pretty close to 80mm I think.

Is dang happy!

Edna on a 80mm vs Lou pic

Here is a Edna on a 80mm vs. a 4.8" lou on 100MM

No chain rub in the granny on my old Motocabacon FB4. About a cm of room left. Nice for people who can't fit a 4.8 in the rear of their fatty. Size is between a 4.0" floater and 4.8 Bud.

Surly Edna-23113488_10214161260536446_981954656_n.jpgSurly Edna-22901426_10214161262936506_178378550_n.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Good looking tire
    I like turtles

Gimme free stuff
    Here is a Edna on a 80mm vs. a 4.8" lou on 100MM

No chain rub in the granny on my old Motocabacon FB4. About a cm of room left. Nice for people who can't fit a 4.8 in the rear of their fatty. Size is between a 4.0" floater and 4.8 Bud.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23113488_10214161260536446_981954656_n.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1164578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22901426_10214161262936506_178378550_n.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	1164579
    How do you feel about Edna on that 100mm rim?
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent, single & rigid

Is dang happy!

Edna is on an 80.

Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    How do you feel about Edna on that 100mm rim?
    The lou is on 100.

I think The edna would work better on 100 as i like less round tires but I am not sure if that make it self steer more if you used it on the front.

Still experimenting with tire pressure. It broke loose on some corners at the pressure that (I think) I was running my 4.0" tires at. Going to drop a couple lbs. and see if it helps. I was able to climb a section of trail i could not on the old tires, have just a bit more grip and the increase in rolling resistance is negligible. Good tire, no regrets should be able to try it on snow soon.

Gimme free stuff
    The lou is on 100.

I think The edna would work better on 100 as i like less round tires but I am not sure if that make it self steer more if you used it on the front.
    Yea, I understand. Edna is on an 80, Lou is on a 100 in your pic.

I wanna see Edna on the 100!
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent, single & rigid

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post

I wanna see Edna on the 100!
    No you don't. 80 is the way to go.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The lou is on 100.

Still experimenting with tire pressure. It broke loose on some corners at the pressure that (I think) I was running my 4.0" tires at. Going to drop a couple lbs. and see if it helps. I was able to climb a section of trail i could not on the old tires, have just a bit more grip and the increase in rolling resistance is negligible. Good tire, no regrets should be able to try it on snow soon.
    Any idea what pressure that is? Could you measure the width (casing and knob-to-knob) and height? There seems to be a gap in available tire sizes between 4" and 4.7" which the Edna fills. Plus I like the look of the tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by minneSSnowta View Post
    Mounted an Edna on an 80SL in the back of my Wozo. Newly mounted at 13psi diameter was ~750mm and knob-to-knob width was 106mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Mounted an Edna on an 80SL in the back of my Wozo. Newly mounted at 13psi diameter was ~750mm and knob-to-knob width was 106mm.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Pretty much spot on to what I've got on a set of Rolling Darryl wheels. Looks to be about 752-753 dia which is about 10mm taller than the Vanhelga. The knobs are about 5mm where the Vanhelga are around 6mm tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any attempts to fit this in the back of a Pugsley yet? @Coastkid71?

Is dang happy!
    Should fit a Pug, I will try friends next week. My motobacon has a asymmetrical rear.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi_Lee View Post
    Any idea what pressure that is? Could you measure the width (casing and knob-to-knob) and height? There seems to be a gap in available tire sizes between 4" and 4.7" which the Edna fills. Plus I like the look of the tread pattern.
    Tried it on 4-6" of wet mashed potato snow today, dropped it down to about 6lbs and wow, I have about 25% more traction than I did on the old 4.0" Floater.
    The extra width and two less lbs. of air it needs is giving this older bike a second life.

Width is around 110mm (4.33") for casing and tread. The knobs are not quite as tall as the paddles on the Lou but they clean really well and roll great, I was really surprised at the traction I was getting.
    Surly Edna-img_20171111_131915.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Any opinions on a Edna vs Nate on the front in the snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gumba View Post
    Any opinions on a Edna vs Nate on the front in the snow.
    I've never had a Nate but looking at the specs I'm thinking the Edna would be a bit better. The Edna is a bit taller and wider so for snow it would be my choice to start with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Should fit a Pug, I will try friends next week. My motobacon has a asymmetrical rear.
    Just wondering if you've had a chance to try this yet? At the absolute narrowest part of my pugs seatstay I measured 115mm clearance

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    A quick update.

I've got several rides on the Edna now but no snow use around here yet. The tire works well, no complaints with it on the typical hardpack or the tricky fall leaf covered trails. I think the Vanhelga may have been just a bit better in these situations but it's definitely smaller and the Edna will hopefully give a touch more float when the white stuff comes.

Also, I converted this thing to tubeless a week ago and have put a few miles on it since then. The tire does grow a little bit tubeless and now shows 108mm knob to knob on my Rolling Daryl (80mm) wheels with 10psi where they were 105-6mm with tubes. They also got a bit taller and the nubs are now rubbing just a bit on my chainstay at 10psi so it's getting pretty tight. Not a huge increase in size yet but if your bike is close on clearance it could matter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
    A quick update.The tire does grow a little bit tubeless and now shows 108mm knob to knob on my Rolling Daryl (80mm) wheels with 10psi where they were 105-6mm with tubes. They also got a bit taller and the nubs are now rubbing just a bit on my chainstay at 10psi so it's getting pretty tight. Not a huge increase in size yet but if your bike is close on clearance it could matter.
    Thanks for the measurements! I should be good then, a little close, but I don't expect to run tubeless yet. What bike are you running these on? I'm more concerned about rear end clearance than anything..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Just wondering if you've had a chance to try this yet? At the absolute narrowest part of my pugs seatstay I measured 115mm clearance
    Surly say not enough clearance on Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Industry info versus real world

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    Surly say not enough clearance on Pugsley.
    I know that is what they say, however I do work in a shop and most of the time what is "said" and what can actually be done are different. A coworker likes running a Lou on a Marge lite on his pugs, its a little rounded but it works for him and it clears fine. I've only got Darryl's on hand but want to maximize the tire. I think I'll be good based on other users actual information, but thanks for telling me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I don't think the Lou fits on the back of a pug even with 65mm rim.. I gave a Bud a shot with my old Large Marge rims and it didn't make it. Maybe if you have monkey nuts and hang your axle off the back of the dropouts..

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    There are legal stipulations that dictate acceptable tire clearance. Surly needs to legally keep 3mm chain-stay clearance to market it as "working" together.

So maybe it fits great but only has 2mm on each side. Then according to Surly its a no go. But according to me, run it unless it rubs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Edna fits 2005 Pugs w/1X9, 70mm tubed rims. Maybe 6mm frame/stay clearance either side. Chainline on inside cog is close but clears by couple mm. Now for snow in Minnesconsin.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So riding the Enda as my First Fat Bike tire a couple things stuck out to me on Global Fat Bike Day:

- Besides setting up tubeless very easily tire feels very sturdy and still conformed to terrain, got a little bouncy in some cases but dont think that was the tire. It has alsomaintined pressure no problem over almost 2 weeks now (temps not dropping yet I am sure helps)
    - Everyone who had a fat bike swore by whatever tires they were running (Bud, Lou's, Husker Du, Ground Controls...)
    - I swore I picked the right tire with the Edna for at least non snow conditions (we dont get a ton but I bet they will be fine when we do)
    - The big Knobs on the Enda seemed spaced just right stuck during transition just fine
    - The ramped tread pattern is actually a good roller
    - I got to work on tire pressure was running ~10psi on both, rigid so lower in the front next time (I run 13psi and 11psi on Chupa 29x3.0 on 41mm internal on the Stache fro reference)

All in all very happy with my first selection for an all around just fun fat tire
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

WNC Native
    Like the looks of those P nuts! Edna seems to be a sweet option.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm still very happy with my Edna tires. First snow this week and they've plowed right through some 5-6" drifts that would have knocked me off line in previous tires. Fast rolling and meaty. I haven't been below 7psi yet to see how they'll do in the deep snow.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Edna ordered for the Wednesday. I think I'm going to put it on the front and keep the Maxxis FBR on the rear of the Wednesday for the time being. According the the specs they're about the same weight. I can't wait to try it on the trails this weekend.

turtles make me hot
    I'll have my hands on a pair soon, albeit not for my bike. Building a set of wheels for a friend and he's using Ednas. Can't wait to see em.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    First ride on the Edna was good. No snow yet. Trail was mostly dry with a few soft spots where the sun was hitting it. I think I'm going to order another for the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Edna is a great tire. Digs and corners like a boss! Rolls fast as all get out too. I had mine mounted on a Clownshoe and it was about 4.6" wide.

Sadly it is a bit much for my Mutz in the rear. It fits, but I don't have as much snow clearance as I would like

Back to the 4.8 Minion on Mulefut!

If anybody wants it, I will be happy to sell it. 12 snow miles. *ZERO* wear whatsoever. No tubeless **** either as it held air perfectly without sealant.

$80 plus shipping. Yes, I know they are $90 new but this one is new. If they are out of stock or not available in your region PM me. I will ship worldwide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I am not sure why it blurred (****) out what I wrote. It was not s *** it was G O O P.

Aparently G O O P is a new profanity.

Ambassador of Chub
    ...Aparently G O O P is a new profanity.
    Hey, clean it up. Kids could be reading this.

I think Ednas are the next set of tires going on the Better Half's ti Watchman. She's currently on Nates, but wants a little more float.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was seriously blown away by Edna. Way more grip than Nate, more float, similar weight. Absolutely RAILS the turns and doesn't wash out easily. Nice 60 TPI casing too.

BUT... I love my hundies

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Sadly it is a bit much for my Mutz in the rear. It fits, but I don't have as much snow clearance as I would like

Back to the 4.8 Minion on Mulefut!
    I'm in the same situation...very little clearance with Edna but I'm gonna give it a go for the winter and see if there is any real issue with it before giving up. Although, I'm on Rolling Darryl wheels which are closer in size to Mulefut's than Clownshoes. Still a nice compromise as it's a bit wider and taller than most 4.0's but not Bud/Lou sized so it fits more places.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Just another Edna option....

Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Hey, clean it up. Kids could be reading this.

I think Ednas are the next set of tires going on the Better Half's ti Watchman. She's currently on Nates, but wants a little more float.
    I wanted to try lightening up my Clownshoed Blackborow from 4.8 Louís, Bud & Knards for when I donít need 4.8ís. I Love the Edna on front and the 4.4 light skin Jumbo Jim for the back tire. Even with tubes (yes still tubes...), its made a huge difference in weight reduction and speed with this combo and plenty of traction in wet leaves, no snow in northern Illinois yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    What is the lug height on edna? Is there enough for gripstuds?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Gripstuds on Edna

Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Pete View Post
    I put grip studs on my Louís and love them! I have an Edna on my front tire for now, and although I have not tried it, the Edna lugs absolutely look nearly as tall as the Louís (not as many as Lou), and I would think you should have no problem putting grip studs into an Edna.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbikefan View Post
    I put grip studs on my Louís and love them! I have an Edna on my front tire for now, and although I have not tried it, the Edna lugs absolutely look nearly as tall as the Louís (not as many as Lou), and I would think you should have no problem putting grip studs into an Edna.
    I have a Lou studded as well. I thought Edna might roll better on hard pack snow?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sorry for asking something possibly obvious, but is there an easy way to tell if this will work on my 2013 Mukluk (170mm with alternators)?

According to Salsa Tech Talk - Understanding Drivetrain & Rear Tire Capacity | Salsa Cycles
    I have 103.8mm of clearance in the back with my stock 2x9 setup. Some 1x drivetrains have 111.9mm of clearance.

So would it be safe to assume the frame can clear the tire on an 80mm rim but I might get chain rub? This is probably my least used bike, so buying a new frame or drivetrain probably isn't going to happen, but these tires look interesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Pete View Post
    I have never studded my own tire but the lug height is about 5mm on the Edna.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Well IMO the Edna is pretty nice in the snow. We've got some cold temps and drier snow here lately and I've been able to get several rides in with two different tire combinations. Both wheelsets I have are Surly Rolling Darryl's setup tubless, one with 4.6/4.0 Terrene Wazia studded tires and one set with unstudded Bud/Edna's. I rode each tire set once each at two different trails over the last week and to me the Edna is a clear winner over the 4.0" Wazia when you don't need studs. When it's really icy, nothing but studs will do.

The Edna is about 10mm taller and 5-6mm wider than the Wazia but it appears much larger in comparison. And, the extra air volume seems to let me run a lower tire pressure on the Edna which helps even more! I'm 245lb in by bday suit, probably 265+ all geared up so I can't run too little pressure before I start to get rim strikes over roots and such. So, the little extra volume in the Edna lets me run 1/2-1psi lower pressure than the smaller Wazia. For me, that means I was running 3.5psi in the Edna and a touch over 4psi in the Wazia.

For outright traction in the snow around here right now the Edna does really well. The tire flattens out and leaves a big track for it's size and the side lugs seem to cut right in and do their job in the corners. There is much less sliding cornering than the Wazia and they just feel more confident.

Don't take this to mean that the Wazia isn't a great tire. I really do like them and I think if I could run the 4.6" Wazia on the back of my bike it would really improve things because I could run less pressure then which seems to be a big advantage. Actually, a non-studded 4.6 Wazia would fit...just barely, same as the Edna. But, the studs protrude just enough to rub with the 4.6 Wazia so I don't want to run that one. FWIW the Edna is a bit out of round and rubs at one spot too but it's not as destructive without studs. I realize there should be a bit of clearance and there is when the rear suspension is loaded so I'm not too worried and it's been fine for several rides so I'm just gonna keep the Edna on and ride on.

Point is...thumbs up for the Edna in snow. Seems like a bit smaller Lou to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    Sorry for asking something possibly obvious, but is there an easy way to tell if this will work on my 2013 Mukluk (170mm with alternators)?.

So would it be safe to assume the frame can clear the tire on an 80mm rim but I might get chain rub? .
    Donít have all the measurements for this specific tire, but do have 2013 Mukluk running bigger Maxxis Minion FBF 4.8 on 80mm rim. Tire in frame is tight but manageable w/ little mud clearance. Using RF Turbine 3x crank, middle ring clears all rear cassette. Granny ring rubs tire on last 2 gears.
    It is possible to bias the dropouts in the frame a bit to gain some clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Donít have all the measurements for this specific tire, but do have 2013 Mukluk running bigger Maxxis Minion FBF 4.8 on 80mm rim. Tire in frame is tight but manageable w/ little mud clearance. Using RF Turbine 3x crank, middle ring clears all rear cassette. Granny ring rubs tire on last 2 gears.
    It is possible to bias the dropouts in the frame a bit to gain some clearance.
    Awesome, thank you. I don't know if I've ever actually used my granny ring before (it's very flat here) so it seems like these could be a good option for me.

Ambassador of Chub
    So Surly states that the Edna is 'tubeless ready' - how are people's experience with this in the real world? As in, mounting them on a tubeless-ready rim without having to resort to split tube, etc?

I'm close to pulling the plug on a pair of these for my wife's Watchman, but I'm done buying fat tires that aren't truly tubeless ready.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    So Surly states that the Edna is 'tubeless ready' - how are people's experience with this in the real world? As in, mounting them on a tubeless-ready rim without having to resort to split tube, etc?

I'm close to pulling the plug on a pair of these for my wife's Watchman, but I'm done buying fat tires that aren't truly tubeless ready.
    What rim are you intending to put them on?

turtles make me hot
    I haven't done an Edna yet but every Surly tire I've set up tubeless has done so just fine. I don't expect Edna to be any different.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My Edna is mounted tubeless on a Mulefut 80SL (using Sun's rim strip, tubless tape, and valves) with no problems once I got it mounted. I had to resort to installing a tube to seat the beads, then breaking one and taking out the tube after doing that it inflated with a floor pump. Not bad but not as easy at the Minion FBF I'm using in front, which inflated with a floor pump immediately after putting it on the rim.

Ambassador of Chub
    Great - thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll likely be mounting them on Mulefuts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Surly Edna

I was able to seat mine with a floor pump on some new MOBD I just built up for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have them on the Otso Lithic rims mounted up super easily and have held air amazingly well. Got a short little snow ride in today no point of comparison but did well from my POV. I didn't even take time to check the air pressure I just aired down until they were soft too the touch and the side / cornering knobs were touching the ground inside the garage and than went for a quick spin after I shoveled the driveway in about 3 inches of dry snow. Seemed awesome I know I went up some hills I would have not had traction on with 3 inch tires. Still very stoked to have chosen Edna as my first Fat Tire.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Ambassador of Chub
    Just pulled a Nate off the rear of the Better Half's bike and weighed it against the Edna I'm about to put on - both tires were exactly 1320g on the digital scale.

Ambassador of Chub
    Edna (L) - Wrathchild (R) on 80mm rims:

Edna (L) - Bud (R) on 80mm rims:

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nice pics for size comparison, thanks.
    Is it just me or does the 4.3 Edna seem larger than the 4.6 Wrathchild?
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Is it just me or does the 4.3 Edna seem larger than the 4.6 Wrathchild?
    No, it's not just you. The Edna is fairly high psi in that pic compared to the Wrathchild next to it, but in my experience so far the WC is really more like a 4.4" tire on an 80mm rim. The WC has been ridden for 3 mos.

Haven't measured the Edna yet - gonna wait until it's been ridden a bit, but I'm pretty confident it's going to live up to its stated size, if not a little more than that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    No, it's not just you. The Edna is fairly high psi in that pic compared to the Wrathchild next to it, but in my experience so far the WC is really more like a 4.4" tire on an 80mm rim. The WC has been ridden for 3 mos.

Haven't measured the Edna yet - gonna wait until it's been ridden a bit, but I'm pretty confident it's going to live up to its stated size, if not a little more than that.
    I was thinking of trying them on my '14 Muk but the Wrath is already a tight fit so it's probably a no go, thanks again for the info.
    It seems like 45NRTH uses a different method from others to determine tire size as they never quite "measure up" to the stated width , D5's being another example.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My Edna stretched out to 110-111mm on a 80mm rim (100 miles, tubeless). That's similar to the measurements I've been seeing for Wrathchild's.