mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Surly Darryl’s vs Sun Mulefut and other 80mm rims

So I am about to build up a surly ice cream truck and need to build a wheelset for it. I plan on running 80mm rims. The shop I am ordering everything from uses QBP for everything and told me for 80mm rims I either have Surly Darryl’s or Sun Mulefut as my option. Sun is listing the Mulefut as very easy to run tubeless. Is there any reason to go with the Darryl over the Mulefut? Are they both comparable in terms of the rim profile and how the tire seats on the rim?

The Mulefuts look to be backordered for a month, so I am leaning twords the Darryl unless you guys think I should wait for the Mulefut. I am open to other 80mm rim options tho.

mtbr member

Darryl works great tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I love the look of the Tundras, very reasonably priced as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

No experience running tubeless of any kind. Building an ICT now and chose the MF because of the great reviews and ease of tubeless.

Pedaling

addicted to chunk
    Riding.....

turtles make me hot
    I think the Mulefuts are 30 grams lighter than Darryls if that matters at all.
    Darryls are welded and Mulefuts are pinned.
    If you can get Darryls now, start lacing.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

ICT comes with 100's as my Moonlander did. They setup split tube tubeless perfectly. Why not go with Clownshoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks guys Darryl's its is.

The reason I don't want to go with 100mm clown shoes is I want to run a bluto some day. And not many tires clear the bluto with 100mm rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've seen a ICT at the LBS with a Bluto. Looked fine to me running bud and Lou and clownshoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    Thanks guys Darryl's its is.

The reason I don't want to go with 100mm clown shoes is I want to run a bluto some day. And not many tires clear the bluto with 100mm rims.
    Don't know where you are getting that info, but you should change your source!! haha

I personally do not like my rolling darryls. The quality of the weld seam is poor, and there has always been a "hop" at that location that multiple wheel builders have not been able to remedy.

Mine alse require a layer of foam along with split tubes to be inflated with a floor pump.

I would choose mulefut, but you can run 100mm so clownshoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a Bluto with Clownshoe and Bud. Ample clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a Bluto with 4.5" tires (Snowshoe) and there is tons and tons of room. Enough that I am tempted to buy bigger tires, then I see how much bigger tires cost and I can live with it until they wear out.

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Mulefut just because of it's tubeless friendly design. No foam, no split tube, a single layer of 3M tape over a Surly rim strip, and inflated with a floor pump. Little to no air loss between rides and flawless performance so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slower_than_u View Post
    I'd go with the Mulefut just because of it's tubeless friendly design. No foam, no split tube, a single layer of 3M tape over a Surly rim strip, and inflated with a floor pump. Little to no air loss between rides and flawless performance so far.
    I am looking forward to converting my Mulefut/Bontrager tire to tubeless. I keep hearing how easy it is. Any idea how much stans for a fat bike tire?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mulefut are not the easiest rim I had convert to tubless. Because of the series of small holes each side of the inner rim. they tend to leak to the rim junction.
    Ended up putting 8oz of slime/latex/amo

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Tubeless Mulefut magic without Surly rimstrips: Start with "color" layer, make sure it overlaps the hole openings by ~1/2" on both sides, then a layer of strapping tape (to keep the color layer from bulging too much), then apply gorilla tape going bead to bead, covering the small holes. Use a tire lever or other firm, thin plastic tool to really press the gorilla tape into place. Insert valve and install tire and watch it seal right up. Add sealant through the valve core.

With Surly rimstrips, skip the "color" layer and strapping tape.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    I've used them both tubeless. No real difference setting them up though getting my Dillingers off the Mulefuts was a lot harder. I'm running the Mulefuts now. I like them but I don't notice a huge difference. The hubs on the other hand - the I9s on my Mulefuts make a huge difference over the stock Salsa hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I am looking forward to converting my Mulefut/Bontrager tire to tubeless. I keep hearing how easy it is. Any idea how much stans for a fat bike tire?
    how much sealant kind of depends on where you are and how fast it dries up. I use 4oz for 4 inch tires and 5-6oz for Bud and Lous. There's people that use up to 8oz even for the smaller tires so to each their own.

For the Hodags on Mulefuts, I'd say the general recommendation would be 6oz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Thanks for the recommendation rkzhao. I am going to try 6 oz. and see how it goes.