mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Surly Black Floyds v. Vee Rubber Speedster

Spring is upon us and I'm going to continue to use my Mukluk into the summer. It will be heavy with hardpack limestone + pavement and I am pondering the rereleased Black Floyd versus the Vee Rubber Speedster. I have heard from LBS that the Floyds have problem with flats, any truth to this?

I'm interested in all thoughts on this comparison and on any of these two tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's nice to see BF's are back. I didn't know they were available again. I can't speak for Vee, but I've never had a flat with mine. If you're riding hard pack limestone and pavement I can't see a problem with Floyds. If you had thorns / goat heads for example they wouldn't be a good choice imo.

I ride hard pack/stone, shale, other rough surfaces, and road. I've never had a problem with mine but I can't compare the two tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am now after a set of the file tread Vee tires. they look sweet. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just put some Vee's on today. I will let you know how they work in a couple of days! They were cheap, and they look good, time will tell.

I had my floaters set up tubeless so I did the Vee's tubeless also. So far so good.
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

one chain loop
    I will be doing a 200km charity ride on my fat and curious as well on the speedster. I don't think there are very many options for 3.8 tires mainly for pavement use?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that a 3.5" tire will reduce trail and effect handling on bikes designed for 3.8"/4" tire.

That said, I love my Origin8 Captiv8er ULs (same as Speedster) on pavement.
    Save some cash and have Jenson price match the Or8s from Amazon. You'll get a pair for $80 shipped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Vee Speedsters are insanely fast rolling, especially on gravel, where the inverted tread design really shines.
    Mounted on 103mm rims, the casing measures 4.3'', but the 103s give them a stretched look.
    I've now got them set up tubeless on carbon 80mm rims, and they come in at 3.95'' casing width at 30psi with a nice and round look.
    Last edited by Espen W; 04-20-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    I liked the original BFs. I didn't have any problems with them.

Brilliant tyres for riding on poorly surfaced roads.

What's the differences with the new ones?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57║36' Highlands, Scotland

Penny's my cow-cat
    I just got rid of my BF┤s because of too many flats. My vee-8┤s should be coming in any day now. The BF┤s were great when they didn┤t flat, but I couldn┤t enjoy my ride worrying if this is the day Iflat out again.
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

mtbr member
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy-jeff View Post
    I just got rid of my BF┤s because of too many flats. My vee-8┤s should be coming in any day now. The BF┤s were great when they didn┤t flat, but I couldn┤t enjoy my ride worrying if this is the day Iflat out again.
    What were the cause of the flats and how many did you have. The Speedster looks interesting but small shards could get between the blocks and maybe cause flats. The dual pattern looks like you'll have to push through the turns.

I'm not sure how the new BF's differ from the old. The old ones wore like iron. The shallow blocks never picked up stones. Obviously they were meant for a certain application and they did that very well.

Penny's my cow-cat
    I had six flats in about month- I commute thru the Woods and ride over everything. I think most of the flats came from inbeded rocks. Once I had a stick go thru the rear tire and end up in the tube, when I was patching the tube I heard it rolling around inside, it was about 2 inches long. It┤s a shame because I really liked the tires, but enough is enough. I hope your┤s work out for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Six flats in a month is crazy. What pressure were you running ? You might want to consider better tubes. I'm running Moose Racing tubes. They're 964g each. Obviously I'm not a weight weenie : )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The Vee Speedsters are insanely fast rolling, especially on gravel, where the inverted tread design really shines.
    Mounted on 103mm rims, the casing measure 4.3'', but the 103s give them a stretched look.
    I've now got them set up tubeless on carbon 80mm rims, and they come in at 3.95'' casing width at 30psi with a nice and round look.
    How does that 3.5" tread do on 103mm rims?
    I was warned against putting it on my DHL100 front wheel for fear of bad handling characteristics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I run the speedsters on one of my fat bikes. At first I absolutely HATED these tires. The self steering was scary. I came back rom a ride fully prepared to rip them off the bike and get rid of them, then I decided to pump them up to 25 PSI - wow, a totally different experience. I had been running them at 13 psi and they were absolutely horrible on pavement. At 25 they track so straight I can go downhills with no hands. I am so sold on them as a pavement/hard pack tire but tire pressure is incredibly key (as is on most fat bike tires).

As for flats, call me ghetto but I filled my tubes with tire sealant and have not experienced a single flat or loss of pressure all season. It adds a bit of weight but worth it in my mind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJay View Post
    How does that 3.5" tread do on 103mm rims?
    I was warned against putting it on my DHL100 front wheel for fear of bad handling characteristics.
    No handling problems at proper pressure (more than, say, 18psi).
    Looks like this on a 103:
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

Penny's my cow-cat
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm suba View Post
    Six flats in a month is crazy. What pressure were you running ? You might want to consider better tubes. I'm running Moose Racing tubes. They're 964g each. Obviously I'm not a weight weenie : )
    I was running around 20 PSI, it was a good compromise for road/trail.

mtbr member
    I love my Floyds on all dry conditions. Never had a flat, but this year after a couple of flats on HuDu's, I have gone to sealant in the tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've had a couple of good rides on the new Speedsters and so far so good! At lower pressure the self steer was very evident, but pumped up to 18 psi I can ride no handed and they track just fine. I did a 20 mile road/gravel route with no issues. Much quieter and faster rolling than the On One Floaters they replaced. I think this will be my summer tire!

I did set them up tubeless on my holy Rolling Darrell's. The front sealed right away. The rear went flat a couple of times overnight before setting up for good the third day.
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Forgive my noobishness: I have a chance to buy a Jones with a 29er 50mm Rabbit Hole in the rear and a 26" Marge Lite in the front. Would the 3.5 Vee Rubber Speedster (or Black Floyd) in the front work well with a 29er tire in the rear? I ask because I'd like to set the Jones up for pavement/gravel/trail/all arounder without having to ditch the Marge Lite. So, I am looking for a good tire combo that will allow me to do so. Right now the bike has a Chunky Monkey in the rear and a 4.0 Floater on the front; I'm interested in something that will roll faster.

Thanks (and if my question is not clear I can rephrase).