mtbr member
    May 2014

Super light weight tires not viable for casual rider?

Been doing crazy amounts of research about the tire I want to run (4.0). I'm half tempted to pick up a set of juggernauts or Jumbo Jims, though the same thing concerns me with both these thin tires. Being just a casual rider, I really do like the idea of cutting down the weight of the bike, but not if I'll be getting flats all the time. Is this something that should be considered with these lighter tires, or do they generally hold up alright?

My other consideration was running a set of Husker Dus, though I can pick up both Kendas for the price of one of those and save a pound while I'm at it.

mtbr member
    I'm not a casual rider, so I say lightweight tires absolutely would not work for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You should be looking for a tire that is 'light enough' and still has great traction in a variety of conditions. Paper thin sidewalls to save weight at the expense of durability, or on tire that doesn't score as well as a slightly heavier model doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Look at the Bontrager Rougarou or the Hodag. Light enough, fast rolling and good traction.
    Especially as a casual rider, you're never going to notice weight differences measured in grams anyway, so stop spinning and losing sleep and going into weenie mode over it. Get a tire that performs and wears well.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hadn't looked at the hodag before. I like it. Costs even more though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been satisfied with the FBN. I don't ride snow, though. Has performed reasonably well in all categories and if I did rip one open, they don't break the bank

Moderator Moderator
    Weightweenie stuff is stupid for "serious" riders. It's even more stupid for casual riders, since you're presumably not going to be too upset about being 10 seconds slower up a 5 minute climb or whatever, but changing flats or replacing broken parts all the time (not to mention spending a fortune in the process) will definitely impact the amount of fun you're having.

Assuming you already have some tires in functional shape, keep riding them. When they're truly trashed, get something with a tread pattern/size/features you want, and throw your gram scale out the window.

Scratch that, it's useful for cooking. Keep it in the kitchen.

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Exactly my thoughts about being casual, I'd rather a tire be somewhat durable vs the lightest tire ever.

I'm currently on v8s. They won't be doing my much favor.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I've been satisfied with the FBN. I don't ride snow, though. Has performed reasonably well in all categories and if I did rip one open, they don't break the bank
    You might be the exception. Fat B Nimbles are the flimsiest tire I've ever used and would not recommend them to anyone concerned about durability.

aka bOb
    I run middle of the road parts weight wise for just about everything and on all my bikes.. I find It's a good way to get durability without being a tank. I've seen trips/rides ruined by simple things like uber lightweight saddle rails or aluminum nipples just to name a few, not for this guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    You might be the exception. Fat B Nimbles are the flimsiest tire I've ever used and would not recommend them to anyone concerned about durability.
    FBN have worked great for me, as have JJ snakeskins. But I ride a east coast root trails and not much rooky stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I can see that. I've seen a handful of guys complain about them. At $75/tire though that's not many complaints considering how many people are probably riding them.

Either way, I can see it, but my experience has been positive, even when I recklessly run them directly through rocky pointy chunky sections with disregard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've been single tracking the hell out of my Big Jon in what I'd consider a "casual" fashion and the factory 4.8" JJ's are holding up very well. No complaints or issues so far.

bigger than you.
    I've put 1500 miles on my fbn front with zero issues.

mtbr member
    Sidewall tear after 3 short rides on FBN. Don't even recall hitting anything. Never again

mtbr member
    It all depends where and how you are riding your bike.

I like the "paperthin" sidewalls, because that means a tyre that is supple enough to ride well at low pressures on soft going.

If I was riding on sharp flint tracks I would use different tyres.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

bigger than you.
    Also, what's a "casual rider"? I consider myself one, I do a couple races per year and have averaged about 2500 miles per year on my fat bikes for the past 2 seasons. for me, that's casual- many of my friends ride a lot more, although I gather most ride less.

mtbr member
    I have them on my bike and my GF's bike and the JJ4.0's work well. No flats except one that was self-inflicted.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Maybe I'll just take the chance with the juggernauts. What's the worst that can happen? Walking out?

Casual rider as in I put in a couple of days a week and I really don't need the loghtest/best stuff, it just sounds nice on paper. I'm really too slow a rider to be a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Also, what's a "casual rider"? I consider myself one, I do a couple races per year and have averaged about 2500 miles per year on my fat bikes for the past 2 seasons. for me, that's casual- many of my friends ride a lot more, although I gather most ride less.

Yeah - you're not a casual rider.
    It's not a hard thing to get a handle on.

I'm sure a member of a national team could say "I only did 10 races and 5000 miles last year - totally casual"
    But in the context that we use the term it's not so much a relative thing with regard to how a racer sees his own mileage etc.

Your average casual rider sticks mostly to flats, or minor grades, doesn't seek out technical trails, stays away from fast descents, and isn't likely to 'hammer' much or at all...oh and their mileage isn't measured in 4 digits.

Races (note plural) and 2500 miles.
    Good on ya! For this thread though consider your ears boxed.

mtbr member
    I've been running JJ 4.8 on my bike for 8 months. Tubeless setup really easy with clownshoe. 4 onces of stan one time. Didn't have a single problem. Rode them in flow trail, rocky trail, roots, logger trail, sharp rocks at low tide, snowshoe packed trail...

Just put back my Lous after a frustrating ride in lighly pack powder snow (no traction but very hilly trail). My JJ will be again on my bike for spring. And I have the lightskin version...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super light weight tires not viable for casual rider?-img_4540.jpg  

Super light weight tires not viable for casual rider?-fullsizerender.jpg  

2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckster View Post
    Hadn't looked at the hodag before. I like it. Costs even more though.
    Where are you getting pricing from and what was it?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Price everywhere u look is $120 for the 3.8

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Email MikeC at Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels for a quote. He was cheaper than that in september, who knows he might have been clearing stock.