Thread: Sun Crusher 7

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Sun Crusher 7

Sun Bicycles - Product
    Surprised I'm the first to post on this (that I know of). Steel frame, 170mm rear, 7 speed derailleur. 3.5" cruiser tires. 80mm 36h rims. Vee brakes. No idea whether it will fit 3.7/3.8 Surly rubber, but it doesn't seem like that big a stretch.

A few disadvantages compared to the $1500 variety (no idea how these are priced), but I personally am drawn to the longer chainstays and generous rack/fender mounting points (no fenders listed yet).

Interested what others' takes are. I'm unusual in that weight doesn't bother me and I prefer longer chainstays. My uses would be mainly as a mountain bike and only a little bit in conditions where mountain bikes would be unusable. The handlebars would have to go, and I might need to correct the seat position to be more MTB, less cruiser.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    Sun Bicycles - Product Surprised I'm the first to post on this (that I know of).
    I'm not...
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    I'm not...
    Hey

I'm not either.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Squeezing larger rubber beneath the V-brakes looks fairly questionable. Add a frame&fork mounted cable stop and those same bosses could be used for cantilever brakes which have no trouble coping with fat tires.

The sun spider AT bike looks slightly more capable than the crusher7,
    spider at least has an MTB looking aluminum frame rather than hi-carbon steel. Both of the sun fat-bikes acutually manage to make the wal-mart fatgoose look like nice ride by comparison.
    Sun Bicycles - Products

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looked at the geometry a while back, and it seemed to be really loooooong "top tube", which they get part way around by using those long sweeping bars with a short gooseneck. Make sure you're OK with that and whatever you use for bars.

mtbr member
    Can't find price for Sun 7-looks like a big step up from fatgoose to me, tho. Gears, brakes, and "alloy" parts. Don't see where weight could be cut easily, tho. And the frame
    might be kinda close to those 3.5" tires?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was quoted under $600 on the fly by a LBS today.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Can't find price for Sun 7-looks like a big step up from fatgoose to me, tho. Gears, brakes, and "alloy" parts. Don't see where weight could be cut easily, tho. And the frame
    might be kinda close to those 3.5" tires?
    If tire choices are a concern, it might be a step down ... The goose has 5.375" of clearance at it's narrowest location.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    J&B site or Sun site don't have prices now, but I know I saw the price somewhere. Looking at a few bike shop sites looks like a sugg retail of $500 for the coaster brake bike, $600 for the 7-speed.

I got all excited when I found a shop selling hubs; the pic was a generic-looking casette hub. But the description was coaster brake. The specs for the 7-speed list it as a freewheel hub. Probably 8mm chinese-steel axle roughly similar to a cooked noodle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I can't find one of these locally...
    Two questions for those fortunate enough to have an LBS with these in stock.
    1. What is the distance between the canti-posts on the frame?
    2. Will an Endomorph 3.7 or similar 3.8 tire fit the frame or is it stock 3.5 tires max?

mtbr member
    If the tires do fit, you may want to consider the switch to cantis to get more room for tire. The linear pulls have only so much room.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    If the tires do fit, you may want to consider the switch to cantis to get more room for tire. The linear pulls have only so much room.
    Exactly!
    This is why I need to know if bigger tires will clear the frame and what the spacing is for the canti pivots.

Edit: Those V-brakes seem ridiculous but the canti pivots are useful.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroCyclo View Post
    Exactly!
    This is why I need to know if bigger tires will clear the frame and what the spacing is for the canti pivots.

Edit: Those V-brakes seem ridiculous but the canti pivots are useful.
    If the frame bosses work for V-brakes, they should probably work for cantilevers too (so long as you dont go with significantly wider rims). Typical cantilever post spacing of around 80mm is applicable for regular narrow 20-25mm rims, if the rims are another 60mm wider than that, the extra width needs to be added to the post spacing too in order to keep the post in same relative position to the rim braking surface, not just constant 80mm post spacing regardless of rim width.

Unless you are satisified with the crusher as-is, probably better to just start with a $200 wall-goose and upgrade it, rather than starting with a $600 crusher, throwing away all the junk parts and trying to re-build it as a decent bike. The wallgoose parts make much less expensive trashcan filler. I would also guesse that the 3.5" tires on the crusher might be a chainline clearance limitation, trying to go wider might requires different drivetrain chainline related components and/or frame offset.
    If an upgrade project is in the works, starting with the sun spider seems like a better plan than the crusher, at least the spider is CrMo instead of hi-tensile.