Thread: Summer tires

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Summer tires

Ruminating about some singletrack, rock-crawling, sandy wash tires. What do you think about a Dillinger 5 on the front and a Flowbeist 4.6 on the rear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I really like Flow/Dunder in summer.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Jag...what size rims you running them on? I came off of a Pug with MLs and ran Nates/Knards...I'm now on a Wednesday w/80mm rims and running Flow/Dunder for snow...was thinking Knards when it dries out. Do you run Flow/Dunder all year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turtles make me hot
    I run a Bud on the front year round and a 4.8 Knard when there's no snow. My favorite fat combo.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    if you are not getting lots of mud i would say Jumbo Jim. Liteskin if you don't have have sharp things or snakeskin if you do. and they come in 3 sizes depending on rim width or preference.

beer thief
    Or read any of the 700 recent threads on summer fat tires.

It is retrogrouch Friday, afterall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hodag front, fast trak rear. 3.8/4" on 80mm rims. Great for dry, dirt and rocks. Sandy wash? Probably not so much.

Flying Sasquatch
    I currently like the Hodag 3.8 front and either the Origin 8 Devist8r OR Vittoria Bombolini rear (both 4.0). Good for pack, loam, rocks, and decent in sand. Both combos corner well on pack and also roll pretty good. I ride singletrack, skate parks, loose clay, neighborhoods, and sandy trails (desert sand, NOT beach sand).

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Specificity

Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Or read any of the 700 recent threads on summer fat tires.

It is retrogrouch Friday, afterall.
    Radair, I asked about a specific combination, and got your and everybody else's opinions on everything else. The very third post was a highjack that fed the jackals of tire-opinion carrion. If anybody cares to comment on the OP's question (mine), feel free: Dillinger front tire, Flowbeist rear tire. Dillinger qualities for front, potentially: 5", good center line, good cornering knobs. Flowbeist: good knobs all around, better center line than a Dunder, meaning less vibration, potentially, but just as many knobs for grabbing. I am an iconoclast when it comes to "designated" uses (I like, for example, the Maxxis DHR 2 on the front AND rear in some applications).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think running 5" tires in the summer is akin to dragging concrete block behind you while hiking.

Get some narrower tires and enjoy the ride.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006

beer thief
    A D5 is less than 4.5" wide so you may be disappointed if 5" is what you're seeking. It does have a decent summer tread though.

That's all I have for ya. Good luck

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I think running 5" tires in the summer is akin to dragging concrete block behind you while hiking.

Unless you are riding alot of beach, where soft sand can be just as hard to ride as snow; so a less aggressive, but still 5 inch tyre is savvy.

I have D5 as my winter tyre and 4.8 Jumbo Jim in the summer. FlowBeist/D5 is overkill IMO.

mtbr member
    D5 front. D5 (reversed) rear. So far I'm pretty happy.

YMMV
    "Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks that is what they is, is the happiest lot."

turtles make me hot
    I have 29+ wheels for my 907 and I run them when it's warm on fast hardpack trails.
    In the summer if we get long stretches of hot, dry weather, one of my regular trails gets so sandy I ride it on the 5" tires. Works like a charm.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    Jag...what size rims you running them on? I came off of a Pug with MLs and ran Nates/Knards...I'm now on a Wednesday w/80mm rims and running Flow/Dunder for snow...was thinking Knards when it dries out. Do you run Flow/Dunder all year?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    80mm Mulefuts, also on a Wednesday. Ran them all year, except when freezing rain forced me onto studded Wazias. Back on Flow/Dunder now. Great summer tires too, no desire to change to anything else, for now.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Only if you're a 4 year old little girl.
    I can hardly tell my 4.7" Barbis are even fat tires.

Squ-eti
    Vittoria Bomboloni's. Best tires that no one talks about. Tough, rolls fast, grips and corners everywhere. They just work.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    A D5 is less than 4.5" wide so you may be disappointed if 5" is what you're seeking.
    Mine aren't.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Mine aren't.
    Really? Mine are on 90 mm rims and are definitely less than 4.5". A few years old, tubeless so they're certainly stretched out. You must have the special Alaskan version

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have a 4" Van Helga on my 90mm rim on the back ... and it seems, they're maybe a bit narrow ... not a lot of protection for the carbon rim. Also, my van helga rim loses air over a few days and I wonder where ... maybe just bad rimtape, but I somehow doubt that. Can it be, that I should rather go for 4.5" ... like Ground Controls or Jumbo Jims?

Flying Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    Vittoria Bomboloni's. Best tires that no one talks about. Tough, rolls fast, grips and corners everywhere. They just work.
    I've only ran these on the rear, do they corner well on the front? The profile looks kind of flat.

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    I've only ran these on the rear, do they corner well on the front? The profile looks kind of flat.
    I'm running mine on 90's and they still have a nice round profile...more so than the snowshoe xl that they replaced actually (now that is a boat anchor tire). they corner so well that I went looking for the 29" equivalent and found the barzo (another great tire by vittoria). I think it's those beefy side lugs that do the trick. they also work wonders in moderate amounts (4" or less) of snow.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

Live Free & Ride
    Waiting to put em on soon....Hodag front, VTF rear. Both 27.5 on 50mil carbon. Changes the bike to a dirt demon in minutes! Been on some very draggy Snowshoes with very grippy Kold Kutters....great on ice/crust, but no-go for dirt/mud.

Melt, melt, melt!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

WNC Native

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Only if you're a 4 year old little girl.
    I can hardly tell my 4.7" Barbis are even fat tires.
    The funny thing here is Nurse Ben's B Fat minions should be heavier than Gambit21's 4.7 Barbegazis (or at best around the same weight).
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

WNC Native
    doubled for some reason
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Specialized Ground Control 4.6"; rolls nicely and compliant

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    The funny thing here is Nurse Ben's B Fat minions should be heavier than Gambit21's 4.7 Barbegazis (or at best around the same weight).
    Friction counts when we're talking width, not sure the weight means that much, at least when it's not a muni

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    Ruminating about some singletrack, rock-crawling, sandy wash tires. What do you think about a Dillinger 5 on the front and a Flowbeist 4.6 on the rear?
    I asked about a specific combination, and got your and everybody else's opinions on everything else. The very third post was a highjack that fed the jackals of tire-opinion carrion. If anybody cares to comment on the OP's question (mine), feel free: Dillinger front tire, Flowbeist rear tire. Dillinger qualities for front, potentially: 5", good center line, good cornering knobs. Flowbeist: good knobs all around, better center line than a Dunder, meaning less vibration, potentially, but just as many knobs for grabbing. I am an iconoclast when it comes to "designated" uses (I like, for example, the Maxxis DHR 2 on the front AND rear in some applications).
    Well then, you might want to rethink your thread title to make it align with your thoughts in the post.
    I think you would be the first in the fatbike world to put a Flowbeist on the rear instead of the Dunderbeist. This might change fatbiking as we know it and see people around the globe Flowing in the rear. Dillinger and Escalator have been proven good summer tires, and the D5 their larger brother should work wonders on the Dirt McGirt. Now most people ride with the more aggressive tread tire in the front to keep the bike from [Boston accent] Warshing [/Boston accent] out and like you lead to smoothing out the rolling in the rear. I propose putting the Flowbeist on the front and D5 in the rear. Get crazy with your bad self and reverse* the D5. (*Pro tip)
    Last edited by Co-opski; 03-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    ptarmigan hardcore

Flying Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    I'm running mine on 90's and they still have a nice round profile...more so than the snowshoe xl that they replaced actually (now that is a boat anchor tire). they corner so well that I went looking for the 29" equivalent and found the barzo (another great tire by vittoria). I think it's those beefy side lugs that do the trick. they also work wonders in moderate amounts (4" or less) of snow.
    I put the Bombolini up front, but my results weren't as good. Overall not bad, but man that thing was grabby on the edges if the trail wasn't completely flat. Leaning it over a lot also felt a little squirrely.
    It seemed ok until I started riding more aggressive downhill.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I got one Jumbo Jim 4.0 tubeless mounted up tonight to replace a Barbegazi that came on my 2016 Farley 7, I'll do the other tomorrow. It's quite a bit smaller in overall profile especially height-wise, but not that much narrower. I am done working but I should measure each tire mounted tomorrow. This weekend I should get a bunch of dirt time with the JJ's and I can see how much better they roll. I am using them for summer tires only, maybe even for one race.

I did weigh the JJ's and I got 1,117 and 1,148 grams per tire. Sorry, just musing. I'm almost thinking of replacing the Surly Nate wire bead tires on my wife's bike with the 4.0's also, wondering if I should have went 4.8 though for myself.

mtbr member
    I'm running Jumbo Jims 4.0 liteskins on black eagle 65mm front and rear.

Im loving it so far this spring. I hit a more dry trail yesterday and they are so fast! Railing the turns! I was running 6 psi in the front and the tire folded over on me a couple times on real hard turns. I weigh ~150 lbs.. Gonna try 7 in front.

They are a little squirmy searching for traction in spring mud.

A friend of mine is running the Dunder and Flow beasts and he loves them. Im thinking i'll try the same but not on the 65mm rims. Have to lace some 85's up or something.

I ran the Dillinger reversed in rear as well. Works well

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    JJ 4.0 on 65mm rims are my favorite setup. I even bought a set of 29x3 carbon hoops thinking they would be better for the summer but quickly went back. Nothing beats the JJs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Anybody here try D4s as a summer tire? I finally have the newer Husker Dus on my rigid fatty and they are great on dry packed trails. I also have a pair of D5s that I've been saving as a winter tire on a different fat bike, though I wonder what a D5 front / D4 rear (rear fits only up to 4.1") on my rigid fatty may add to summer riding.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I rode D4s all of last year. Rode trails in Oregon, Bend and McKenzie River trail. Northern Utah trails and a bunch of Moab trails in the fall. They worked great in all conditions. I have them on a Salsa Bucksaw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    I rode D4s all of last year. Rode trails in Oregon, Bend and McKenzie River trail. Northern Utah trails and a bunch of Moab trails in the fall. They worked great in all conditions. I have them on a Salsa Bucksaw.
    Thanks! The D4s sound promising.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    +1 on the Jumbo JIMs. I just installed some 26x4.0 light skins on My RSD mayor and I saved over 1000grams of rolling weight compared to the 4.8" snowshoe XL's. That's over 2 lbs! I'm mostly going to be using it on hard pack Rooty single-track and paved trails to pull my daughters chariot.

It feels like a rocket compared to the snowshoes. Its going take some serious weather next year for me to go back to a 4.8" tire.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Zach, I've been riding JJ 4.8 Liteskin's for a year now and love em immensely. I've tried the Knard 4.0's and was finding 4.8 to be a more comfy ride.
    The JJ's have been a low rolling resistance tire for a 4.8 and they seem to go very well. 6f 7r and good to go til the sand is involved.

Vee tires are uninspiring in therms of feel and weight. 5.05 for the real snow days.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Got my first ride with my jumbo jim snakeskins this weekend. Set up tubeless easily on 80 millimeter mulefuts. I'm really happy with them. It's going to be a good summer.

mtbr member
    another vote JUMBO JIMMY. 4.0s for summer

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hmm. Lately I am running 3.8" Hodags on 27.5" x 50mm wheels. The bike is a Chinese 120mm full suspension fatbike. And I don't know how much you could improve that setup. At least, the tires roll pretty nice and hold a corner pretty well too. Maybe just a little bit of pogo stick action at high speed. I am waiting on some 29er plus wheels and 29er Chupacabras for my Les Fat hard tail. Maybe that will be better still. If JJs are better than Hodags, then that must be a beautiful thing. I have some 26er by 65mm rims / wheels sitting around. Maybe JJs are the tires for that wheel. Except it has occurred to me that I have already outspent my yearly bike budget a couple times over.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Been riding Nate front and Knard rear for years and was happy. Just switched out to 4.0 Ground Control front and 4.0 Fast Trax rear, WOW what a difference. Great traction and they roll so much better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    JJ on the front, MM on the rear. Predictably loose is how I would best describe it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Summer tires-img_0687.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    currently have 120TPI Nate rear and Knard front on my Wednesday...will likely run it until it is completely dry then fool around with Knards front/back

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Really happy with Ground Control 4.0 front, Fast Trax 4.0 rear on Marge Lites.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Bud on front and 4.8" Knard out back for the summer. Varied surfaces including a lot of deep, loose gravel. Work well overall.