Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,147

    Stupid stock Pugsley headset question

    What is this piece and where does it go?



    Just using this headset until I can scrounge up the dough for a King.

    Thanks in advance.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,625
    That's a compression ring. It is, depending on the headset, one of the last pieces to go on before the top cover of the bearing and the stack spacers.

    For reference (googled it up)


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,276
    Yep, a compression ring, but I think it's upside down in the picture. BTW, you can get a Cane Creek 110 in all sorts of cool colors, and it is easily the equal of the CK headset (if not better), plus it is less expensive and easier to install.

  4. #4
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,147
    That's what I thought. Thanks. It just makes the top if the headset look all goofy and huge. Regarding the cane creek, I know they make good stuff, I'm just partial to King and his company. They are rad people. I have King hubs and headsets on my three other bikes.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  5. #5
    The Dog.
    Reputation: Dogdude222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    That's what I thought. Thanks. It just makes the top if the headset look all goofy and huge. Regarding the cane creek, I know they make good stuff, I'm just partial to King and his company. They are rad people. I have King hubs and headsets on my three other bikes.
    Just so you know, King denied for years that the compression ring design was superior to his own. Which was...drum roll please...a friggin' rubber o ring. Think about how hard a tiny rubber o ring can hold your steerer under hard braking. And for those who actually thought for themselves, all King headsets sucked because they: always felt like they were loose, required constant replacement of the o ring and the crown race, and wore a spot thin on your steerer. Despite all of this, King denied that the TH industries (FSA) design was superior.

    And the day the patent expired on the TH industries design, he stole it.

    Every other headset manufacturer in the world paid royalties to use the split ring design. The most expensive manufacturer couldn't?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    That's what I thought. Thanks. It just makes the top if the headset look all goofy and huge. Regarding the cane creek, I know they make good stuff, I'm just partial to King and his company. They are rad people. I have King hubs and headsets on my three other bikes.
    yup stellar goods for sure

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RockyRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    Just so you know, King denied for years that the compression ring design was superior to his own. Which was...drum roll please...a friggin' rubber o ring. Think about how hard a tiny rubber o ring can hold your steerer under hard braking. And for those who actually thought for themselves, all King headsets sucked because they: always felt like they were loose, required constant replacement of the o ring and the crown race, and wore a spot thin on your steerer. Despite all of this, King denied that the TH industries (FSA) design was superior.

    And the day the patent expired on the TH industries design, he stole it.

    Every other headset manufacturer in the world paid royalties to use the split ring design. The most expensive manufacturer couldn't?

    Been riding King headsets for years with tons of hard time on them and never had any of the problems you just mentioned.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    And the day the patent expired on the TH industries design, he stole it.
    naaaaaa thats called using your head acquiring a worthy design.

  9. #9
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,147
    I've never had any issues with any of my King parts and didn't mean to turn this simple request into a war of brands/designs etc. Run what ya brung and buy what makes sense to you. Whatever makes you happy and gets you out on the bike. ;-)
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    I've never had any issues with any of my King parts and didn't mean to turn this simple request into a war of brands/designs etc. Run what ya brung and buy what makes sense to you. Whatever makes you happy and gets you out on the bike. ;-)
    yup exactly however some harbor stuff for life and sadly see no way of letting go

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •