• 01-13-2013
    appleSSeed
    Stupid stock Pugsley headset question
    What is this piece and where does it go?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...31512A1D85.jpg

Just using this headset until I can scrounge up the dough for a King.

Thanks in advance.
  • 01-13-2013
    wschruba
    That's a compression ring. It is, depending on the headset, one of the last pieces to go on before the top cover of the bearing and the stack spacers.

For reference (googled it up)

http://s4.postimage.org/x1ubueflp/22...loded_view.png
  • 01-13-2013
    deuxdiesel
    Yep, a compression ring, but I think it's upside down in the picture. BTW, you can get a Cane Creek 110 in all sorts of cool colors, and it is easily the equal of the CK headset (if not better), plus it is less expensive and easier to install.
  • 01-13-2013
    appleSSeed
    That's what I thought. Thanks. It just makes the top if the headset look all goofy and huge. Regarding the cane creek, I know they make good stuff, I'm just partial to King and his company. They are rad people. I have King hubs and headsets on my three other bikes.
  • 01-13-2013
    Dogdude222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    That's what I thought. Thanks. It just makes the top if the headset look all goofy and huge. Regarding the cane creek, I know they make good stuff, I'm just partial to King and his company. They are rad people. I have King hubs and headsets on my three other bikes.

Just so you know, King denied for years that the compression ring design was superior to his own. Which was...drum roll please...a friggin' rubber o ring. Think about how hard a tiny rubber o ring can hold your steerer under hard braking. And for those who actually thought for themselves, all King headsets sucked because they: always felt like they were loose, required constant replacement of the o ring and the crown race, and wore a spot thin on your steerer. Despite all of this, King denied that the TH industries (FSA) design was superior.

And the day the patent expired on the TH industries design, he stole it.

Every other headset manufacturer in the world paid royalties to use the split ring design. The most expensive manufacturer couldn't?
  • 01-14-2013
    nvphatty
    Quote:

yup stellar goods for sure :thumbsup:
  • 01-14-2013
    RockyRider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    Just so you know, King denied for years that the compression ring design was superior to his own. Which was...drum roll please...a friggin' rubber o ring. Think about how hard a tiny rubber o ring can hold your steerer under hard braking. And for those who actually thought for themselves, all King headsets sucked because they: always felt like they were loose, required constant replacement of the o ring and the crown race, and wore a spot thin on your steerer. Despite all of this, King denied that the TH industries (FSA) design was superior.

Every other headset manufacturer in the world paid royalties to use the split ring design. The most expensive manufacturer couldn't?

Been riding King headsets for years with tons of hard time on them and never had any of the problems you just mentioned.
  • 01-14-2013
    nvphatty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post

naaaaaa thats called using your head acquiring a worthy design. :thumbsup:
  • 01-14-2013
    appleSSeed
    I've never had any issues with any of my King parts and didn't mean to turn this simple request into a war of brands/designs etc. Run what ya brung and buy what makes sense to you. Whatever makes you happy and gets you out on the bike. ;-)
  • 01-14-2013
    nvphatty
    Quote:

I've never had any issues with any of my King parts and didn't mean to turn this simple request into a war of brands/designs etc. Run what ya brung and buy what makes sense to you. Whatever makes you happy and gets you out on the bike. ;-)

yup exactly however some harbor stuff for life and sadly see no way of letting go :D