viva la v-brakes!

Studs: concave VS conical Vs dome/flat. Does shape matter?

Can anyone say for sure that 45NRTHs concave studs are grumpier then cone shaped or flattop studs?

I've got some Nokian Freddie's Revenz tires I'm thinking of either selling or "parting out" for the studs. I'm thinking of buying some studded D5's next fall and realized that if the come shaped studs in my Freddie's are just as good as the concave ones, I could put in a little elbow grease and save $200 buying the in-studded D5's.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'd be surprised if it matters, but the D5s are carbide tipped, which probably helps for longevity. Obviously a skinny studded tire and fat studded tire work very different (I've been riding both in the last few weeks), so it's hard to draw conclusions IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The early versions of the Dillingers came with pointed studs and they were pretty bad at ice traction. Swapping out for the concave studs made all the difference, so yes. I cannot speak to the flat studs since I've never run them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    The early versions of the Dillingers came with pointed studs and they were pretty bad at ice traction. Swapping out for the concave studs made all the difference, so yes. I cannot speak to the flat studs since I've never run them.
    I agree. I rode a few weeks ago with folks with older (but unworn) Dillingers with the pointed studs and they were no match for my Dillingers with concave studs. On an 80 mile, ride they fell and slipped while I stayed upright the whole time.
    --Peace

viva la v-brakes!
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to sell the tires first, if not, I'll pull the studs and sell them off the unknowning masses next winter!

viva la v-brakes!
    Oh, and my experience is that the cone shaped ones grip better than flat, but there are over twice as many studs in the Freddies Revenz as there are in my Mount and Ground commuter tires. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I pulled the steel base carbide tipped cone shaped studs from a pair of Nokian extreme 26 skinny tires and installed them on a a pair of 45 nth Dillingers. The tires are installed on my wife's bike and I got to ride it for a few weeks while waiting for my new bike to arrive. I have the Dillingers with concave studs and after riding lots of ice on both bikes I did not find much of a difference in grip.
    Last year a had a pair of 33 tpi Dillingers with steel base dome shaped studs and they were not very good on the front tire, performed have decent on the back though.