mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Studded tire question

This may sound strange but bear with me. I’m running 45Nrth dilly5 studded tires with the concave studs(not XL). They work pretty well on most ice except really smooth glare ice. My wife is running studded Wrathchilds with the new XL concave studs and there is a VERY noticeable difference on glare ice. They grip much better than mine. Looking at the studs, aside from the obvious difference in diameter, her studs seem to stick out of the stud pockets more than mine. It seems like the regular studs can be pushed into the soft rubber quite a bit taking away from the “bite” into the ice. To swap my studs out to the XL studs would be a huge $$ investment. So I started experimenting with some small washers under the studs. I had some laying around from my Saint pedals that are used to adjust the height of the pins in the pedals. These washers fit right into the stud pockets UNDER the studs. This causes the stud to stick out of the pockets by about .062” more(the thickness of the washer). The studs appear to seat just as strong as without the washers. So for under $40 I can buy enough washers of the same size to do both tires.
    That was a long way to go to get to my question which is this. Has anyone tried this? And if so, what was the result? I’m wondering if the extra “height” will make any noticeable difference in traction and also did you find that you lost more studs than usual.
    Just trying to avoid spending over $225 for the newXL studs.
    Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are a couple of threads on this forum about people doing similar things. I do not remember anything but positive reports.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Others have done similar with spacers cut from rubber.

I have replaced 200 studs on my Dillinger 4's with XL studs. As you state, the increased bite is significant, but... I have lost 4 of the XL studs in 100 miles of riding. (I have never lost a standard stud) If you are riding icey/rocky areas where you must use your brakes you likely lose some studs as I have. I replaced the missing studs with the original studs with spacers made from .045" rubber. I have noticed some wear on the aluminum that stands proud of the tire's lugs, but nothing too bad.

I made a punch to create the spacers out of some ice maker copper water line I had laying around. If I find it to be a continued problem I may buy a set of these to cut the spacers:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F27AMI...a-310653475574

mtbr member
    ^^yes rubber sheet goods can be had at the local auto parts store for gasket making material. Prob any sheet good would work as a spacer though.

leather puches can be bought at a leather supply house or hobby shop maybe hardware store too. They are worth it if punching out 200-400 washers.

$40 for special washers is not exactly cheap.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I went with the terrene crown stud in every other side knob. this seems to help in the cornering traction which was really all i was going for. also, i know this is blasphemy but airing up your tire on really icy trails seems to help the studs bite more. they don't push into the tire as badly when rolling over the ice. just my experience, do what you wish. i am in MN so maybe out ice is different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I never thought about the gasket material and leather punch. $10.50 for the materials on Amazon!
    I guess I'll just sit back with a nice IPA and punch out some washers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Dont even own a fatbike yet so I dont know nuttin

I would assume something has to give either the shorter stud losses traction reducing strain on the stud pocket or the long stud does not lose traction and puts more strain on the pocket more lost studs= cant have it both ways.
    Blaine, Mn

mtbr member
    the d5's tend to have a slightly deeper pocket hence some looking to mod them w a thin rubber washer
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail