mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Studded Dillinger vs Nate vs?

Hi all, sorry if this is redundant but I am currently riding a pair of Larry tires on Marge Lite rims. We are having a pretty meager snow year in Oregon, lots of freeze/thaw with hardly any new snow in many weeks. I seem to not be getting much traction up (or sometimes down) on the slippery, icy "snow" trails (not roads) we currently are experiencing. I'm wondering if I would have better traction with some Nates or perhaps studded Dillingers, or maybe a stud up front and a Nate in the back? I've reduced my pressures to sometimes 3 psi (I weigh 120 lbs on a Fatback) which seems to help, but hoping a better knobbed tire would help me get up and down with less spinning/terror? I'm tired of riding sideways down the steeps (and yes I am only feathering my brakes). Or perhaps it's rider ability and not the tire? Any advice appreciated! Happy fatbiking!

Moderator Moderator
    I can only comment on the DIllinger, but I've found it to be a good all-rounder, it grips on many (not all) icy spots, and its still good if you get fresh snow, without feeling like you need to change tires. Whatever tires you ride, if you know their limits, and your limits, you hopefully will come out OK, even if you decide to walk a dicey stretch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ride the studded Dillinger's and we have the same conditions as you. The group I ride with are predominantly on Nate's and i have the advantage in the icier conditions but they have the advantage in the deeper snow. I rode the Nates all last year and they are a great tire but would not part with my Dillinger's for winter riding. I need to locate a few grip studs for my boots as I find I can ride areas that are almost impossible to walk on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    buy dillingers.

mtbr member
    I rode a pair of Nates the last two seasons and liked them well enough for forward traction and braking in softer snow, but was never too satisfied with them in corners. My new bike came with non-studded Dillingers and to me they were a big improvement in all but the softest of snow and even there the Dillingers are better in corners, but not in climbing. However we to have had a melt/freeze winter and lots of ice. Last night I added studs just to the middle rows of the Dillinger and they were amazing on this mornings ride. I was deliberately seeking out long icy climbs because they were so good. With the studs I don't miss the Nates at all.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Dillingers have my vote. That's what I ride on and I agree on the comment that I can ride across icy stuff that I could not comfortably walk on. A great winter tyre.