mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Stud it yourself?

Has anyone successfully done a DIY studded tire using Nokian studs? I have a tire with a damaged bead, so I can't continue to use it. But I have 240 little pieces of carbide steel just waiting to be inserted into a tire if it will work out.

I realize this isn't a fatbike specific question, but I figure if anyone on MTBR has attempted this, it would be someone on this board as fatbikes only recently got a studded option. FWIW, I am not looking to use gripstuds, since they would cost as much as a very nice (non-fat) studded tire.

mtbr member
    Do a search for studded tire. I just used the #6 3/8" pan head screws. The advantage is, of course, that the carbides last much longer, especially if commuting on pavement vs just riding snowy trails.

Typical nokian studs are meant to be forced into a pre formed rubber cavity, I don't know of anyone who has tried to drill holes big enough to insert a stud into. The pre formed cavities would have a lip that would help hold the stud in. They also are expensive but sounds like you already have them on hand. Cost me $5.20 for 400 screws.

Not that it can't be done but the problems I see are:

1) you need lugs big enough to drill without tearing
    2) you will need to reliably drill to the perfect depth without puncturing or tearing the casing, perhaps possible with a drill press
    3) with no lip you may lose studs easier than with a tire made for studs, or if the hole is small enough to hold the stud, it may be very hard to get it in there.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I wonder how they would fit in the predrilled Escalators? Send me your studs and I will report how they work. All in the name of research, of course.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member

Studs

Not sure a DIY Fatty tire would work, but perhaps yourself or another Nokian can use them. Check this ad out:

Universal Cycles -- Nokian Replacement Studs for Tires

Are those the same studs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Those are the studs. They are currently in a nokian tire with a damaged bead. I have yet to lose a stud from my nokians over three winters' use.

@beachcomber: I'm familiar with the standard screw DIY style, I just figure that I have a bunch of good quality studs without a home (well, they are still in the damaged tire, but that is sitting in the garage).

Hadn't though about having to get perfect depth. I do have a friend with a drill press, but it is that inner lip drilling that seems to be the issue. I have some CST caballero's that would get the royal treatment. Plenty of rubber. I know, I know, not fat, but this board is just so ingenious.

mtbr member
    I see your dilemma, shame to waste nice carbides.

Couple ideas:

1. Do a cross section cut through one of stud holes on your bad tire and see how much of a lip is actually there. It may be those studs are held in more by pure friction given how large that pan head is, as long as not too much stud is poking out I bet they would stay in pretty well even without the lip.

2. Practice and try out various drill diameters. Looks like every rubber knob is studded on the Nokians, but if you have another crappy tire around to experiment on, if not maybe even play with drilling on an old car or motorcycle tire, should be able to pick one up from a tire shop. Rubber is a little difficult to drill, it will stretch with the drill bit so you will likely need to use a larger bit than you think to have a hole big enough for the stud. If you don't have a drill press to regulate depth, mark your depth on the drill bit, then wrap a 3/4"- 1" strip of duct tape several times around the bit to create a bumper that tells you when to stop, just don't push too hard.

3. You may need some kind of press, clamp, or vice to force the studs into the tire. A smaller hole will hold the stud better but be harder to push it into.