Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Stretched Marzocchi fat fork

Like many others I really want to try a suspension fork on my Pugsley. I have an older Marzocchi Z3 and a Z1 that I am going to use for this project. I plan to widen the fork to 135mm by making a new arch and crown for the fork.

I can post a few pics after I get to the minimum 10 posts
    Last edited by Machinist; 01-24-2013 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just wasting a post to get up to ten.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The donor forks for the fat bike fork projectThe blue fork has a 135mm spacer to simulate the final width of the fat fork. The green one has standard 100mm spacing. I made the spacer so that I could make a few rough measurements at the 135 mm width.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-10141.jpg  

Last edited by Machinist; 01-30-2013 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Both forks torn apart and ready to be modified. I removed the brake posts on the blue fork for practice. I hacksawed the posts off and then cleaned up the cuts on a lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-10142.jpg  

Last edited by Machinist; 01-30-2013 at 08:03 PM.

not FAT free
    just make it good and people will ask You how much and if You can make one for them !!!
    ...and they will make You rich
    i'm glad that "fat addicted" machinist finally got good idea and is ready to make it happen!
    cheers

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wooden prototype arch to test fit over the tire. The final version will need to be wider at the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-10144.jpg  

Last edited by Machinist; 01-30-2013 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The final aluminum arch after lots of sanding and some polishing. The arch on the left side is an aluminum dust shadow. I still need to remove some excess material from the back of the arch to save weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-10145.jpg  

Last edited by Machinist; 01-30-2013 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Keep up the great work. Cool project
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Way to go. I've considered this myself as I have some older Z1 and Z2 forks around with the bolt-on brace. Just remember you're going to have to consider some limit to the full travel. The tires are so tall that they'll approach the bottom of the crown at compression.

Anxious to see your results, so keep us posted.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The last pic seems to have failed. I will try a different pic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This started out as the green Z1 fork. I found an old can of industrial strength paint stripper at work that removed the paint in about five minutes. The brake posts were also shaved off. The dropouts had been filed at some point in the forks life and they were crooked. I managed to set up the legs in a milling machine and take a skim cut to make them square again. The axle slots were also the old 9mm size and most rear hubs use a 10mm axle now. I cut them to 10mm while the fork was in the mill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-10146.jpg  

Last edited by Machinist; 01-30-2013 at 08:06 PM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Nice.

FYI there have been issues with the forum displaying images of recent, might not be your fault.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Drew Diller, I am not super computer savvy so I was blaming myself. I can make just about anything out of metal but computers baffle me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Speed holes in the back of the arch to make it lighter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-10147.jpg  

Last edited by Machinist; 01-30-2013 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is a prototype plastic crown so that I can figure out a few more measurements before I jump into a metal crown. I have a very special piece of metal that I have been saving for years, just waiting for the right project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-cimg0645.jpg  

Last edited by Machinist; 01-30-2013 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The grey coloured round bar on the back of the bench in the last pic is a 4 inch diameter 24 inch long piece of solid titanium. I just thought you guys might appreciate that info.

mtbr member
    well that asplains it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The new wider crown will be cut from a piece of solid titanium. It's not as light as an aluminum crown but I think it will be way cooler. I have sprayed a blue layout dye on the titanium and sketched a few rough measurements on it as I plan out the new crown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-cimg0639.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    mmmmm titanium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stretched Marzocchi fat fork-cimg0641.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm picking up what you're layin' down. Keep it coming...Awesome project !

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    This is definitely looking awesome. I know myself and one other that did a fat conversion on these forks keeping the 100mm spacing (there's a thread on here about it). I can't wait to see the finished 135mm version, should be awesome and not be so limited on tire/rim combos.

Nemophilist
    Damnn...

You're beating me to it. Ahhh... for lack of a DRO. I just don't trust that I could hit the marks without one. I also do not have the process for the super fine tolerance of the bore for the stanchions, let alone the steerer. Boring is such a difficult thing to master on any level, but nice clean high precision stuff is much tougher yet. At least for us garage hacks. If I could only hit 1.259 dead. Maybe I just have not experimented enough....

Interestingly, there is a real black art to the whole cryo fit thing. They use highly sophisticated equipment to create and then measure all of that stuff. "Tenths" are absolutely critical. And yet, a lot of that high tech knowledge does not necessarily transfer to clamp fitting. I had a pretty in depth discussion with a friend who does this stuff for a living (you ALL know the company), and he really had no idea of how or if the cryo knowledge was useful. The whole idea made him nervous.

Sit and study a modern cryo fit lightweight fork and you will see lots of subtlety in its design. There are some VERY important things going on there. None of it is by accident.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    FYI there have been issues with the forum displaying images of recent, might not be your fault.
    So I'm not the only one with the issues? Seems none of my fellow mods know or heard anything about it, at least those that have gotten back to me on it...

As for the OP's work? SWEET! Beautiful work, making me jealous over here with all that tooling. Keep it up, you're gonna be so stoked
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Regarding the cryo fit, I assume you mean for the steerer (if not simply press fit) and stanchions. Some of these older Marzocchi's have all three bolted in though, so I would assume the tolerance is not nearly as precise - am I wrong on that? I for one had a crown with all three bolted.
    As an aside, I have also press fit steerers in and out of crowns to make the steerer tube longer, it isn't that difficult if you have a simple hydraulic press (I know, everyone has one of those, right?!). The one I used was just welded up with a simple bottle jack and heavy duty iron for the frame - it was originally for AMP forks but I used it on Marzocchi's back in the day as well. I know I wouldn't do it multiple times to the same crown for fear of fatigue, but I never got nervous about a one-time press out and replace with a longer steerer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Love this project. Fits my favorite equation nicely.

Time + Toys = More and Better Toys
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast