mtbr member
    May 2012

stem/handlebar area clicking

I've got a snowblind pug complete with stock components. Noticed the other day that when riding up hill and pulling on the handle bar for leverage, I would hear this mild clicking noise from the stem/handlebar area. I tested it further by pushing down on the handlebar by the handgrips and can reproduce the sound sometimes.. all clamp bolts are nice and tight. Will try taking everything apart and reassemble it later this week. Thought I'd ask here first.

Signs of imminent metal failure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This might be dumb but is your headset loose? When I had my Pugs I would take it on really rocky trails and off small drops and such and every few months I'd have to tighten my headset.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    haven't detected any looseness.. the sound is like very sharp clicking.. not the "thud" I've heard on a loose headset.. could be the headset though

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Most likely a loose headset as XJX says. Easy fix.

Goat of Legend
    Obviously check for cracks, stress creases in not only the stem and bars but the head tube/ down tube junction. I once cracked a top tube at the head tube and heard creaking while riding but didn't discover the crack till I got home.
    If that's ok and your headset is ok then simply diassemble the bars and stem and lightly grease the contact points and reassemble.

nothing to see here
    Were the bolts on the headset face plate done up evenly and is the face plate square? Maybe undo them, re-grease them and re-tighten each of them a little at a time.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.