Professional Crastinator

Steering Like a Tiller

We finally got some snow!
    Not only was I working at negotiating the trail, but riding off "the line" created some unique handling challenges, not unlike riding in mud: The front tire plows straight ahead despite my best efforts at good cornering technique, then suddenly grabs and turns hard!
    At speed, I found myself sawing back and forth on the bars and trying to get those edge knobs to bite. Sideswiped a few trees and stayed upright 99 out of 100 times this weekend. 1 out of 100 I was on my head in the snow.
    More practice needed.

If you have never gone fast on a narrow track, be sure to mind your line.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    We finally got some snow!
    Not only was I working at negotiating the trail, but riding off "the line" created some unique handling challenges, not unlike riding in mud: The front tire plows straight ahead despite my best efforts at good cornering technique, then suddenly grabs and turns hard!
    At speed, I found myself sawing back and forth on the bars and trying to get those edge knobs to bite. Sideswiped a few trees and stayed upright 99 out of 100 times this weekend. 1 out of 100 I was on my head in the snow.
    More practice needed.

If you have never gone fast on a narrow track, be sure to mind your line.

-F
    Let the fun begin!
    Vini vidi velo!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cool. I find tires don't really "edge" in the snow, at least anywhere near the extent that they do in the summer. Big knobs in soft snow help, studs help, but if you try to push it too hard, it'll let loose on you. Berms are your friend, they'll drive the knobs/studs right into the surface, which is nice. Going fast in tight singletrack can be quite the challenge, as you attempt to turn quickly to avoid something and the fat wheel doesn't react as fast as something else or as much as you were expecting. Like you said, usually works, except when it doesn't.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've found that I can ride packed snow pretty much like I would dirt, but as soon as the slightest amount of loose snow falls on that, it gets interesting. There's a whole lot of back and forth going on with the bars and I need to slow way down. Then it's lke as soon as my tires brush the soft edge of the trail I get sucked into the 4 foot deep abyss.

It's great fun the first time or two, then it gets incredibly frustrating.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    I've found that I can ride packed snow pretty much like I would dirt, but as soon as the slightest amount of loose snow falls on that, it gets interesting. There's a whole lot of back and forth going on with the bars and I need to slow way down. Then it's lke as soon as my tires brush the soft edge of the trail I get sucked into the 4 foot deep abyss.

It's great fun the first time or two, then it gets incredibly frustrating
    Exactly!

Gimme free stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    It's great fun the first time or two, then it gets incredibly frustrating.
    Yea, its frustrating. But then again, sitting inside waiting for all the snow to melt is far worse
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)