Thread: Stans Failure

mtbr member

Stans Failure

Halfway through a ride today, got a flat, forgot my pump, had a nice 1 mile walk back to the parkinglot. I fill my replaceable valve-core-Surly tubes with Stans. I have seen a punctured tube seal for me earlier this year. Not today, when I removed the punctured tube, it was spitting Stans everywhere, I rotated the tube so the puncture was dead-center bottom, it just spewed out more Stans. Noticed there was a solid chunk inside the tube, most likely from the first application. I found the thorn - a very tiny one, I'm thinking the Stans should have sealed it. I put the second application in 2-3 months ago. I changed tubes as this one is about 11 months old and I'm thinking that solid chunk inside will just get bigger.

Anyone else notice how long Stans fluid actually lasts? I believe the bottle stated 2-7 months. The chunk in the tube surprised me

mtbr member
    I opened some tubeless tires after 6 months and there was not much Stan's left and a big latex chunk in each tire. Stan's will dry out at different rates depending on the tire and the humidity of the area you live in.

I had those tires in Sedona and then on Vancouver Island all summer which is pretty dry.

I've never put Stans inside a tube so I can't speak to that setup specifically.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I chuck a little coarse glitter in with the Stans fluid to help seal those determined holes...works great

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If the sealant was liquid (and looked the same as when you put it in) then it was still good. It dries out over time and that's why you have to add more periodically.

I've used Stan's on regular tubeless MTB tires for at least 7 years, but I've never tried it in an innertube. AFAIK its really only intended to work without a tube; like to seal around a nail or thorn that penetrates the tire. The tire is stiff enough to hold a thorn or nail in place while the sealant seals around it. The last time that I changed tires, i found a 1" long piece of rusty wire (chicken wire?) imbedded in my tire that I never knew about.

Just a guess, but with a tube inside of a tire, it would first be trying to plug a leak in a very stretchy tube. Tires have cords and aren't stretchy. And the thorn would still be stuck in the tire and the tube might move a little inside of it, especially if the tube lost a good bit of pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Even if the liquid is still liquid, the filler material will often ball up into a "koosh ball". Once that happens, they won't seal, as the liquid won't seal leaks on its own.

mtbr member
    Stan's works great in a tubeless setup, but for one reason or another doesn't work well in tubes. If you are using a tube then use something like Slime in the tube. It works very well.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Fat & Single
    It been ok for me in a tube so far but only for small thorns, if it was the tyre only it would have been 100%. Tubeless is by far the best and having run tubeless on every bike since 2008 its been a step back using tubes on my fatbikes... though i have a few plans for it.

Stans dries up in tyres about every 3-4 months, pop the tyre off and clean it out if the thought of the "Goober ball" annoys you, otherwise put more through the valve stem and clean out once every 3rd time or when new tyres are needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

addicted to chunk
    I've been using a home brew mix sealant and so far it is working better than stans.

1 part mold builder
    1 part tire slime
    3 parts windshield washer fluid
    Glitter

Doesn't seem to produce the huge boogers like stans.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    Even if the liquid is still liquid, the filler material will often ball up into a "koosh ball". Once that happens, they won't seal, as the liquid won't seal leaks on its own.
    Seperation of the filler material, which formed a clump, leaving a useless mess.

Wonder if the use of CO2 or even nitrogen would have any useful affect, doubtfull if it would be worth the expence though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Just a guess, but with a tube inside of a tire, it would first be trying to plug a leak in a very stretchy tube. Tires have cords and aren't stretchy. And the thorn would still be stuck in the tire and the tube might move a little inside of it, especially if the tube lost a good bit of pressure.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Stans in tubes

Stans works great in fat tire applications. In tubes, it does not work well. Before going tubeless, I tried stans in tubes and had very little success.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Seperation of the filler material, which formed a clump, leaving a useless mess.

Wonder if the use of CO2 or even nitrogen would have any useful affect, doubtfull if it would be worth the expence though.
    Some discussion with a chemist in the Best Tubeless Brew? thread came up with the info the CO2 encourages the latex to congeal - the ammonia in liquid latex is there to keep the pH where the latex stays liquid. CO2 makes acid, changing the pH into a range where the latex wants to polymerize (booger up). Nitrogen? No problem, but it's a hassle.

OTOH, the newer "Big Air" cans from genuineinnovations is 40g of propane - which does not react with the latex in any way.
    "NOTE: FOR BICYCLE USE ONLY!

DO NOT USE ON MOTOR VEHICLES OFANY KIND."
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've been using Stan's sealant for many years, and have never had a ball of sealant or even a booger form inside my tire.

mtbr member

Slime

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    Stan's works great in a tubeless setup, but for one reason or another doesn't work well in tubes. If you are using a tube then use something like Slime in the tube. It works very well.
    I was thinking of giving that a try - I have a friend that did some rides in AZ where cactus needles were very abundant. slime was a necessity, and he seen it squirt out many times, but never got a flat using tubes.

The time I seen Stans work in a tube was only I week or two after I had put it in.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    I was thinking of giving that a try - I have a friend that did some rides in AZ where cactus needles were very abundant. slime was a necessity, and he seen it squirt out many times, but never got a flat using tubes.

The time I seen Stans work in a tube was only I week or two after I had put it in.
    What I learned a long time ago was the sealants need more than a thin innertube to work well. Running Slime in thornproof tubes worked far better (last a year) than in regular thin tubes (2-3 months) - either because the thicker rubber gave more traction for the chunks or the hole would wiggle about less. Go tubeless, and the tire carcass is both thicker and less springy than a thin innertube. Certainly works well with sealant - up to a year or so.

That said, I've been running DIY latex sealant in tubes on my fatbike. It works okay, but if you get a puncture it just slows it down - performs like the 2-3 month mentioned above. And if you let the pressure get below a certain point (when the tube separates from the tire) it just goes flat and will not reseal. Gotta patch it then. I've done that and the "limp home pumping every 10-15 minutes" thing - but that's vs no sealant, which is get a flat fo'sure and have to patch it then&there and possibly multiple times on one ride.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Geordie biker
    i got about 1,000 miles out of the stans in my surly toobs, the other week i had a double front puncture, 2 thorns near each other, one sealed the other didnt, it would seal....then id ride it would right back again....soon as i sat on bike.

i guess it lasted 6 months though without causing me issues so not too bad.
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk