Thread: SS Pugsley?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

SS Pugsley?

First off, this isn't going to be my Winter fat bike, although I may take it out in the right Winter conditions. I just want to simplify it for riding trail and around the neighborhood...

What has worked best for you? I was thinking of going 32/20, but then I thought 28/18 may be better for clearance with a bash guard. It is currently set up as 1x9, with a 32 up front, so I suppose I should just stick with that for simplicity and saving some dough.

Also, what works best in the rear end for tensioning? Any ideas and tips that have worked well is appreciated. Pics would be great as well!

Thanks fellas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul34 View Post
    What has worked best for you? I was thinking of going 32/20, but then I thought 28/18 may be better for clearance with a bash guard. It is currently set up as 1x9, with a 32 up front, so I suppose I should just stick with that for simplicity and saving some dough.
    Unless you are dying to have it setup SS I'd just run it as a 1 x 9 until something needs to be replaced.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

SS Pugsley?

I'm considering an SS Pug myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Unless you are dying to have it setup SS I'd just run it as a 1 x 9 until something needs to be replaced.
    Yea, everything is working good, just want to try it out. Mostly out of curiosity, a little out of wanting to be cool. ;-)

mtbr member
    Gearing is really personal preference. I have a 34 up front and not too many issues with hitting the chainring so I think you'll be fine with a 32. If you have a bolt on hub my bolt on hub has been fine with no tensioning device. Haven't had any slippage so far. If you're using a quick release I've heard the Surly tugnuts work pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I tried it for a few weeks two winters ago, ran 32/18. It worked OK, certainly easy to clean after a mucky ride, but nothing spectacular about it. The Red Line chain tugs for BMX bikes are half the price of the Surly Tuggnuts and work much better. If you get the little QR adapters that fit in the 10mm holes, you can run your stock QR without issue.

mtbr member
    Pugs make great SS bikes.

Use whatever ratio you are used to for your terrain, or maybe one or two teeth up on the rear. I use 32/22* in summer and 22/22 for snow or bog riding.

*The extra traction means the bike can climb stuff steeper than my usual so I dropped the gearing a bit to take advantage of it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As always, thanks for the good advice.

I am going to order a Surly 20t cog for the rear, Tuggnut (for radness) and a 32t SS Surly cassette for the front. I'll post up pics when she's done.

I ride 32/18 on my Monocog, so I am thinking 32/20 should be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been running 36 and 34 tooth chainrings with a white industries dos eno freewheel with 22 and 20 teeth. I commute with 36x20, not super fast but can spin 14 or 15 MPH. 34x22 for trail duty works pretty well in most places in VT, really depends on the length of ride for me. I love this setup though, absolutely bullet proof after several hundred miles, and minimal maintenance. For winter I think I'll be trying an internally geared hub of some flavor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have the white industries dos freewheel on my pug with 19t and 17t. I run a 32t chain ring and I rarely take it off the 19t on the freewheel. I run the rear with the surly tuggnut and it works great.

mtbr member
    I have a SS Pugsley with 32/19 gearing (Larry rear). If my calculations are correct, that gives me a speed of ≈21 km/h with a cadence of 90. Nice for wheelies and urban assault, but a little high for off-road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kyttyra View Post
    I have a SS Pugsley with 32/19 gearing (Larry rear). If my calculations are correct, that gives me a speed of ≈21 km/h with a cadence of 90. Nice for wheelies and urban assault, but a little high for off-road.
    I rode over to my LBS in 32/18 last night and had no problem climbing the hills there and back. I was spun out on the flat areas, but was happy with the speed. So I ordered an 18t. I suppose that's a tad big for my local trails, but if I find it bothers me that much I'll buy another cog to swap out when on trail. I guess I'm just a bike geek and like to try things out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think you'll be fine, I went 8 miles on some hilly trails yesterday in 32/19 with no problems and kept up with my buddy on his specialized rockhopper. I'm not sure how big of difference 32/18 is but i wouldnt think it would be too much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So I was contemplating adding a 20t freewheel cog to the front so I am able to swap out front/rear for different conditions. Does anyone have an idea of how many teeth I can exchange without having problem with the chain length with the Pugs horizontal drops?

mtbr member
    ^I would say 3 teeth, as my Vigorelli has slighty longer dropouts than Pugs, and I can use 15-19T sprockets with same chain length.
    Last edited by kyttyra; 08-23-2013 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul34 View Post
    So I was contemplating adding a 20t freewheel cog to the front so I am able to swap out front/rear for different conditions. Does anyone have an idea of how many teeth I can exchange without having problem with the chain length with the Pugs horizontal drops?
    Run two (or even 3) chainrings with similar tooth-count difference as your freewheel cogs and you can change the gearing without changing the overall chain length.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Parts are in from my LBS and she's going under the knife tonight...with the help of some IPA's.

Going tubeless as well, gorilla tape method.

I'll post up pics when it's complete. Thanks for the help.

Also- got a reply from Surly- they think 3 tooth max difference with same chain length. I'm going to try an 18t rear and 20t front freewheel and see how it performs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have only ever run my Pugsley singlespeed. I run it 36/18 and it works great for all round riding. I ride everything from beach, mountains to singletrack with both geared and singlespeed mates and rarely get left behind or have to walk. Most common setup is Larry on front, Endo on rear. Surly ss disc hub.

Jamie

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That went well. Everything went as planned and the tubeless set up is holding up perfectly. 32/18 is a hair too big to stomp the rocky/sandy/rooty river banks, but I will swap wheels to 32/20 and see how that feels. I think it could easily be swapped with 3-4 tooth difference without changing chain length.

LOVE the SS setup!